The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Roadie
First Video: phailhouse

Re: Magic: The Gathering: Whatcha mean, there's no thread yet?

Postby Roadie » 16 Jun 2011, 08:49

i usually just try to keep up with the books, but they have been turning out sets like crazy the past few years. i'm still playing the onslaught block with darksteel on there too.
Lacerta
Affable Marmot
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Lacerta » 17 Jun 2011, 05:42

The last M:TG book I read was Arena
semper fidelis tyrannosaurus
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 17 Jun 2011, 06:22

I liked the Kamigawa books. As maligned as that block was, the books were solid.
The last one I read was Time Spiral.

To change the topic, who brought Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012? I beat most of the single-player campaign, but the Archenemy campaign is really painful when you don't have anyone on your friends list that also plays. The AI makes some real boneheaded mistakes when they're your teammates. (They occasionally make boneheaded mistakes when you play against them, too. Really, Tezzeret? You're going to play a creature BEFORE casting Damnation?)
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Robert Merlow
First Video: Phailhaus 11

Postby Robert Merlow » 17 Jun 2011, 14:46

I would if I could, but money is a pretty limiting factor. The cards themselves are expensive enough... although I have the first Duels of the Planeswalkers and the AI really does make some stupid decisions. My brothe and I were playing against Chandra and Garruk and they were at 4. The only creature of ours that could attack was an unblockable 2/2, but insead of killing that they burned my 4/4 flyer that couldn't make it through. Really?
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 17 Jun 2011, 15:36

Tangential: I don't particularly like the flavour of the neowalkers. I wish I'd been playing during the old days before Mirrodin, because I find the epic huge storyline of Dominaria to be way more interesting than these new planeswankers (fragged!) from Alara and Zendikar. I'd take Jhoira over Chandra, Venser over Jace, Karn over the whole lot of them any day. Is that weird?

Actually, poll tiemz: Do you guys prefer the Dominarian stories, the self-contained planes (Kamigawa through Lorwyn), or the Neowalkers?
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 17 Jun 2011, 16:11

I prefer the oldwalkers in the same sort of way I enjoy the setting of World of Warcraft: The lore.

The new walkers don't hold much of a candle to them except as if to say "Your legacy is remembered", and I think that's much a point. It gives more power to things like Nicol Bolas (who is intended to be the biggest schemer that ever did scheme and a powerful threat to the neowalkers) and to Urza's artifacts which crop up. It also gives us an idea of just what a planeswalker is actually capable of whilst simultaneously making it a highly unlikely event.

I like Urza, Mishra, and the other oldwalkers as confined to the history books of the Magic multiverse, because they're more powerful there than they ever were in their own times. Having the neowalkers around also gives newer players a path into the mythos without having to read decades of stuff, they know Urza was a thing and they know to recognise anything starting with him as a big deal.

As for what kind of story I like, I'd say self-contained. The neowalkers are a nice joiner between them all, the saga of Dominaria was awesome, but it's a card game, I'm not sure it does very well constrained so tightly by its setting and characters.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 17 Jun 2011, 16:20

Anyone gotten their hands on the new Commander precons yet? I forgot they came out today until I walked into the local store and the guy there was like, "We've sold all ten cases of these we had, this is the only one left, do you want it?" So I bought Counterpunch. I know the spoilers had already been leaked, but actually sitting down and looking through the cards is always cool. I think this will be the first precon deck I've ever bought that I intend to leave intact and actually use.
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 17 Jun 2011, 16:39

None of the 'Commander' decks look particularly good to me, at least for my play style. I have some neat ideas for EDH decks using Memnarch and Jhoira (even built them in Cockatrice), but unfortunately I'm not literally made of money, so those plans will have to wait. It doesn't look like I'll be getting into EDH any time soon. :[
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 17 Jun 2011, 16:42

I really want to take the Devour for Power deck and mod it to my whims. Mimeoplasm looks like a really fun general. Just don't like the mill subtheme the decklist has.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 18 Jun 2011, 03:44

I picked up the Mirror Mastery deck for myself, and Heavenly Inferno for Aubergine.

They need a bit of modification (I don't like mass land destruction, so Ruination goes, for example), but outside of that, I really like the vanilla deck.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Roadie

Postby Roadie » 18 Jun 2011, 07:59

so i'm tinkering with a fast battle cry/knight deck which is coming together nicely.

any good standard mono white combo's i should look into adding? 2 and 3 card combos under 4 mana each would be awesome as I really need to keep things quick out and attack if possible

(now its in the right place!)
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 18 Jun 2011, 08:51

Magus of the Disk and Shield of Kaldra. Turn 4 to play Magus, turn 5 it untaps and you can play Shield, then turn 6+ you can equip the Shield to the Magus and start 1-mana field-wiping.
Roadie

Postby Roadie » 18 Jun 2011, 09:11

thats a good combo. doesn't really go with the battle cry mini's theme but i will probably sideboard it
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 18 Jun 2011, 11:32

You could also try Mirror Entity, assuming you can manage some decent mana to use it with, which would turn even your small creatures into dangerous brutes.

Knight Exemplar is virtually a must-have for a Knight deck, especially in multiples, along with Kinsbaile Cavalier for similar reasons. You can also put Shield of Kaldra onto a Palace Guard for a near-impenetrable defensive move.

Personally I enjoy the fun of having Godhead of Awe out and seeing Emrakul be toppled by an Ornithopter (Because Godhead isn't targetting him), but to each their own.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 18 Jun 2011, 16:01

theDreamer wrote:I picked up the Mirror Mastery deck for myself, and Heavenly Inferno for Aubergine.

They need a bit of modification (I don't like mass land destruction, so Ruination goes, for example), but outside of that, I really like the vanilla deck.

So yeah, I played my mate today with my Mirror Mastery Deck.

I played a completely unaltered Mirror Mastery, with Riku as my commander, and he played a completely unaltered Devour for Power.

These decks are designed for multiplayer, not 1v1, so we both were getting some useless dead draws.

However, I proceeded to roflstomp him in both games we played, even when he had a 13/13 Mortivore, 13/14 Lurghoyf, and a 13/12 Mimeoplasm on the field at the same time (he was at 11 life)(I had better board presence, though we were still at a bit of a standstill. He Oblivion Stoned, summoned out a 20/20 or something mime, passed the turn: I drew a prophetic bolt, summoned Riku, twinned the bolt, dealt him 8 damage, found a Magmatic Force and a Nucklavee, played the Magmatic Force, untwinned, passed the turn, dealt 3 damage to him at his upkeep, and won.)

God I love this deck.
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 18 Jun 2011, 19:25

Instead of buying each other gifts for graduation, my two best Magic-playing friends and I signed copies of our favourite 'pet' cards for each other. I now have awesome personalised copies of Imagecrafter and Armament Master (as well as my own Arcbound Worker). I think I'll get them framed or something, since they're probably the best memory I'll have of high school.

How nerdy is that?
Lacerta
Affable Marmot
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Lacerta » 18 Jun 2011, 20:56

So I've been toying around trying to come up with an interesting Commander Deck and the most effective idea I've got so far is Using Arcum Dagsson as a general, have him fetch up Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk as soon as you can and then blow everything up. But that seems like a cheap and annoying way to win.

It seems like generals that let you tutor for cards are open to some incredibly degenerate combos.

I'm thinking I might just try something with Omnath, Locus of Mana (Lots of mana accel + doubling, give him trample, have lots of instant-speed ways to dump the mana if he gets killed) or with Lovisa Coldeyes (she gives all Barbarians, Warriors and Berserkers +2/+2 and haste!)
semper fidelis tyrannosaurus
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 19 Jun 2011, 20:54

Jace and stoneforge banned in type 2 HELLS YES
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 19 Jun 2011, 21:25

My day == MADE.
ebMusicMan

Postby ebMusicMan » 20 Jun 2011, 00:29

Holy crap, they actually banned them? I never thought they would do this, for a variety of reasons, but then again I also thought NPH would include some answers to them as well. I would assume Batterskull is the reason Stoneforge got added to the list, a turn two sword was annoying, but not game breaking imo.

So now that CawBlade is pretty effectively destroyed, what decks does everyone think will be dominating tournaments for the next year?
PS - This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.
Ollie, don'tcha know!
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Ollie, don'tcha know! » 20 Jun 2011, 03:12

Yes! Now I may actually stand a chance at my local FNMs
I think this place is full of spies. I think they're onto me.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 20 Jun 2011, 04:02

My friend just but a Jace and 2 forges.

Lolol.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 20 Jun 2011, 05:24

Here is a link to the Daily MTG article explaining the bannings.

Still, wow. They almost never ban in standard.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 20 Jun 2011, 05:33

An interesting turn of events for my international peers, but here in the UK we don't have much if any FNM action so we don't really pay attention to Standard, Extended, and the like and just go with "what you can get copies of"
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 20 Jun 2011, 06:08

Well I'm certainly hoping I'll see some more creative ideas in decks now. I was looking for a creative way of using Sword of War and Peace without going down that road myself.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”