Any Android users here?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Any Android users here?

Postby Digital Dolphin » 27 Jun 2011, 08:54

So in the not so distant future I'll finally be pulling the trigger and replacing my Blackberry Bold 9000 with a far more powerful phone, running an android OS (either an HTC Sensation, or a Samsung Galaxy S II).

So since I will soon have a phone with enough memory to actually download apps, I'm at a loss of where to start. Can anyone recommend some good apps for me?

I'm looking for communication and organizational tools. I really will need a good app for IRC. Something to handle PDFs. Something for .docs and spreadsheets, preferably with Open Office support if possible.

I'm curious about multimedia editing apps too. Anything good for recording or mixing audio, editing video, or making "powerpoint" presentations?

Be nice to have a few good games too :D
#TeamKroze
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Re: Any Android users here?

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Jun 2011, 09:05

Keab42 writes Droid apps if I recall correctly. Maybe hit him up on the tweets?
taza
First Video: Max Effect

Postby taza » 27 Jun 2011, 09:11

Take note about Firefox compatibility. It's a bit... unorthodox.

That is, Firefox isn't compatible with half of the Android phones out there.
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 27 Jun 2011, 09:34

I have an Android phone and tablet. I'm going to be upgrading to a Sensation in a few days, myself.

Note: all my devices are rooted (Tablet is actually a Nook that I purchased with the express purpose of rooting to have a tablet) so while it shouldn't make much difference, it may and I just don't know.

PDF: Adobe has a free app for reading PDFs, most of the other apps out there are pay and predate the Adobe app. I've not have problems with Adobe on my devices (A first, not having problems with Adobe...)

Docs/spreadsheets, hmm, only thing i'm seeing on the store is http://www.androffice.com/, and that's last been updated in Feb 2010. I'll play around on my tablet later tonight and see if I can find anything else.

Multimedia...you really want to be editing this stuff on a phone? Not sure there's much beyond a few apps for editing a sound clip for a ringtone/notifcation tone.
@mhasko
ElementalAlchemist
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby ElementalAlchemist » 27 Jun 2011, 09:39

Digital Dolphin wrote:I really will need a good app for IRC.

AndChat is pretty good. I've also tried yaaic, which is much less good (it doesn't properly obey 005 PREFIX and IIRC it crashed on me at least once, possibly among other issues).
I've also heard other people say that AndChat is pretty good, so I'd recommend that. There are a few others but I haven't tried them yet.
EDIT: Just tried AndroIRC. Also good.

If you don't like the default keyboards, there's one called 8pen which is a bit different but really nice once you get used to it.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 27 Jun 2011, 11:29

I bought an Android 2 & upgraded my plan less than a month ago. It's my first smart phone & I'm discovering I'll probably never want to go back. As for apps, here are some I've recently found on the market & used. They're not so much communication or organizational, but all either useful or fun, as well as free.

Barcode Scanner - Scan barcodes on products then look up prices and reviews. Scans both standard UPCs & those complex digital squares patterns.

Bit - It's the Bit from Tron, now available in a pocket size.

Bubble - Uses your phone's accelerometer to turn your phone into a carpenter's level. Very accurate.

Dismount - A fun & addictive rag-doll simulator game. Good for passing the time, relieving stress or for folks who just like pushing people down stairs.

Google Sky Map - Uses the magic of Google to show you exactly what's in the sky overhead as you look up into your phone, in real-time.

gStrings Chromatic tuner for any instrument. I use it with my theremin.

Pandora Internet Radio - Personalized radio service. Streams any music you want to listen to.

Pinball Deluxe - I'm very picky about video pinball games. This one isn't perfect, but it's the best I've found to date for Droid.

Shazam - Realtime song identification program. My girlfriend uses this constantly to learn more about new music she likes as it comes up on the radio.

Tiny Flashlight + LED - One of the best flashlight applications. Has the potential to drain the battery fast but can be useful in an emergency.

TweetDeck - The highest recommended (to me anyway) Twitter app. Much easier to use than the mobile website.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 27 Jun 2011, 11:45

I've yet to use it for actually creating documents, mainly because I'm too cheap to actually buy the document editing version since I'm not wholly convinced I'd get much use out of it, but certainly for reading documents QuickOffice has been really good for me. It also appears to be on sale for half price, which is almost definitely worth it. The only thing is it only states compatibility with Microsoft Office, though it mentions somewhere in passing that it also supports non-Office documents, so I'm not sure how far that compatibility extends. It may be worth picking up the free version to see if its compatible with the files you need to use before forking out for the full version.
It would probably also work for creating Powerpoint presentations, although from my experience with my Android phone, I'm not sure how easy it would be on any normal sized phone...

Other than that, I'd highly recommend the free app OI File Manager which allows you to explore the directories on your phone and SD card, a feature you'd think would be standard, at least to some degree, but clearly not...
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 27 Jun 2011, 13:58

Netflix, if your device supports it
Root Tools if you plan to root
Rom Manager if you plan to use a custom Rom
Google Voice for Visual Voicemail
Google Music if you have a Google Music account
Opera Mobile as an alternative to default browser (which is great, mind you, but lacks some features)
Also, GET THE AMAZON APP STORE! Free apps each day and exclusives not available in Market, such as Plants vs. Zombies and Peggle!
So that's my 2 cents.
Edit: I actually like the official Twitter and Facebook apps for Android, so I'd suggest them.
Edit 2: Looks like I completely ignored the requested apps... I like QuickOffice.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 27 Jun 2011, 19:14

My app recommendations:

ACast: Podcast manager. Does background auto-updates. UI's not really intuitive, but it's really good considering it's a free-mium app.

Android Agenda Widget: It's an agenda widget. For your home screens. Really customizable, but not much else needs to be said. Works mainly off of Google Calendar, but it can be set up to plug into other calendar apps.

AndChat: You said you wanted an IRC client, and this one's probably one of the best.

Angry Birds: Free for Android. Just... mind the ads.

Docs to Go: The full version's a bit pricy, but it's great for editing Word and Excel documents and viewing PDFs. No ODF support, though... will probably have to save to Word format . Does do Powerpoint, IIRC.

loot: Mainly just a bank register app. Not bad. I like it.

Miren Browser: The default browser for Android is fine, but I like Miren better. The tabs are on-screen rather than buried in a menu, speed-dial home screen, lots of nifty settings... it's nice.

Mountain Chase: It's SkiFree minus that annoying yeti that eats you plus guns (for shooting guys that want to ruin your skiing) plus a zombie mode. What more do you want?

MtG Tracker: Do you play Magic? If you do, this app is a must have. Full onboard card database, place to scratch down deck lists, life tracker, poison tracker, EDH General Damage tracker... seriously, if this thing let me look up prices for cards without using the card search's built-in hotlink to magiccards.info, I wouldn't need anything else.

Plume: Easily my favorite Twitter client. Very full featured. Looks nice. Easy to use. Widgets scroll if you use an alternate launcher (or use it on a Honeycomb tablet... oh, by the way, it's optimized for Honeycomb tablets). No Facebook integration, but I don't care... outside of a "crosspost to Facebook" button, I really want to keep Facebook and Twitter separate.

Robo Defense: Really good Tower Defense game.

SNES9x EX: Y'know... if you're into that kind of thing.

Symphoni: Quick question for ya... is all of your music in Ogg Vorbis format? If yes, this is the music-based game for you.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Digital Dolphin

Postby Digital Dolphin » 28 Jun 2011, 07:25

Wow! This is a huge list! :D

Docs2Go didn't impress me much on the blackberry, but I can see if the app is any better on Android, with a larger screen. And yeah, the price for full function was ridiculous from what I can remember when I first looked at it.

I'll certainly be trying out all the twitter apps I can find to see which one is my favourite. I'm a big fan of UberSocial on Blackberry currently.

No MTG for me, but I do enjoy YuGiOh quite a bit. I'm sure there's an similar app out there for that :)

Much thanks for the IRC client suggestions! I'll be sure to check them all out when I get my new phone! I can't wait to be able to get on to IRC from my phone :D

The SNES9x EX suggestion is AWESOME! I hadn't even thought of SNES emulation on my phone... I keep forgetting they can do stuff like that now XD (remember, I've been stuck on a REALLY crappy Blackberry for a while)

I'll be using pretty much every google app in existence, as my business runs on Google Apps, and I LOVE all the integration that can be done.

I'd love to find a simple video editing app too. Since I'll be able to record in 1080P, it'd be great to be able to upload the finished product right to youtube before I'm even home :P

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! :D
#TeamKroze
kodra
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby kodra » 28 Jun 2011, 09:31

Androminion if you like Dominion
Is a big fan of Panic! at the Disco
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 28 Jun 2011, 13:49

metcarfre wrote:Keab42 writes Droid apps if I recall correctly. Maybe hit him up on the tweets?

Sadly I only QA test them, and have mostly been on an iOS binge lately.

I haven't really begun to unlock the full potential of my android yet.

2 that I find really useful are ESFileExplorer and App2SD.

Oh and get the Kindle app and Aldiko for ebooks. Aldiko has a huge archive of free stuff and I find it a little easier on the eyes than Kindle.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Digital Dolphin

Postby Digital Dolphin » 28 Jun 2011, 14:26

Big thanks on the Dominion app suggestion! I'm a BIG fan of that game! :D

I'll probably look at the kindle app too :)
#TeamKroze
DancingFox
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby DancingFox » 28 Jun 2011, 15:37

I've got a Droid X and it's fantastic. Haven't done much with apps though. Kindle app (free, even) which is great. I remember I found an app to play Go?

As to the firefox bit, they're in the process of producing Fennec, firefox for android. So, that's underway.
Tales from the Menagerie! New fiction magazine looking for submissions of all sorts!
http://www.talesfromthemenagerie.com/
Digital Dolphin

Postby Digital Dolphin » 29 Jun 2011, 10:29

DancingFox wrote:I've got a Droid X and it's fantastic. Haven't done much with apps though. Kindle app (free, even) which is great. I remember I found an app to play Go?

As to the firefox bit, they're in the process of producing Fennec, firefox for android. So, that's underway.

What's the Go app called? I'd like to grab that when I get my phone :D
#TeamKroze
MowDownJoe

Postby MowDownJoe » 29 Jun 2011, 12:13

DancingFox wrote:I've got a Droid X and it's fantastic. Haven't done much with apps though. Kindle app (free, even) which is great. I remember I found an app to play Go?

Fennec was what it was called in Alpha. It's actually on the market now as Firefox. And you can play with beta versions, if you so choose.
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 30 Jun 2011, 02:46

Digital Dolphin wrote:

What's the Go app called? I'd like to grab that when I get my phone :D

Search for GNU Go in the Market, I can't remember it but I've used it- it's an implementation of the open-source gnugo program, if I recall correctly.

Big fan of Aldiko, ES File Manager, Quick Settings, irssi ConnectBot (fabulous if you SSH to anything running irssi or SSH in general). My phone's over there <points> but I know there are some other good apps. I'll post again. I've had an Android for almost a year now, so I've tried most things. Hard to believe. :o
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 30 Jun 2011, 04:59

I am thinking of getting an Android. Any suggestions on which phone I should go for?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
kodra
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby kodra » 30 Jun 2011, 06:09

If you want a keypad, I'm a big fan of the epic 4G
Is a big fan of Panic! at the Disco
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 30 Jun 2011, 06:40

I am leaning towards a Samsung Galaxy S II.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Digital Dolphin

Postby Digital Dolphin » 30 Jun 2011, 09:38

Samsung Galaxy S II or HTC Sensation if you want a really powerful phone. They're more or less tied as the highest end phone available right now.
#TeamKroze
GreigKM

Postby GreigKM » 30 Jun 2011, 11:30

Digital Dolphin wrote:Samsung Galaxy S II or HTC Sensation if you want a really powerful phone. They're more or less tied as the highest end phone available right now.

Personally, I'd go for the Galaxy S II, seeing as not only is CyanogenMod developed for it, but Samsung approves of it. Then again, I'm a mod crazy idiot who isn't happy with a mobile device unless it has software significantly different from stock on it... :roll:
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
MowDownJoe

Postby MowDownJoe » 30 Jun 2011, 13:02

GreigKM wrote: Then again, I'm a mod crazy idiot who isn't happy with a mobile device unless it has software significantly different from stock on it... :roll:

But.. but... that's what the OEM's are doing with Android!

Seriously, though, it'd really be nice if people that made Android phones didn't HAVE to put their own skin on top. I get why, but some people don't like value adds. Hell, when I got my last laptop, I did a clean install of Windows so I'd get nothing but the basics. I'll add the stuff I want to add. You don't have to do that for me. Of course, I like CyanogenMod on my original Droid mostly because of small tweeks they made, even if a few of them could be done with Tasker. (Seriously... I don't know how I'd live without Notifications muting themselves at night.)
GreigKM

Postby GreigKM » 30 Jun 2011, 13:54

When I said stock I ment any given phones stock, not stock Android. I love stock Android, things like Blur and TouchWiz, and to a lesser extent Sense, piss me off. No need for 'em and nothing but bloat. Thank God for CyanogenMod I say.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
The Gecko
First Video: Man cooking! (Meat Mushroom)

Postby The Gecko » 01 Jul 2011, 06:24

There aren't really any great apps for video editing on an Android phone, sadly. Such things are still best done with a computer or tablet.
And personally I recommend the Samsung Galaxy S2. It's thinner and lighter than the sensation, and according to reviews it has the better screen. Plus the internal memory is 16gb. And I've had mine for over a week now, it's a FANTASTIC phone, super fast, GORGEOUS screen, amazing camera, can run any app you throw at it.
HTC make good phones too though, their build quality is always great. One thing to be aware of though; they currently lock their bootloaders, so if you were planning to root (Android equiv. of jailbreaking) this is something to consider. They have recently said they were unlocking their bootloaders, but it's still a bit iffy as to when and how.

I don't generally use office apps but the best one I found was documents to go. There are some GREAT games on the market. If you can get into the Amazon app store plants vs zombies is a good one, as well as any of the angry birds ones. ANYthing made by Camel games is worth it. Bonsai blast is a good free time waster. Android has some good emulator apps for most systems up to the Ps1 as well.
Other great games:

Game Dev story
Cut the rope (Amazon market only for now)
Fuzzies (Lemmings clone)
Air control
Bistro Cook
Burn the city

As for other apps it depends what you're after. Plume is IMO the best Twitter app,Poweramp is a good music player, Vignette is a good photo editing (kind of) app, Astrid is good for GTD, dolphin browser is self explanatory, and there are some great MTG apps if you're into that. Also I have a pokedex on my phone....

Anyway hope that helped, enjoy your new phone!
It's turtles all the way down.
@BinaryG1rl on twitter

Return to “General Discussion”