Torchwood

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Torchwood

Postby korri » 11 Jul 2011, 11:03

Ok, I've split off the Torchwood discussion from the main Doctor Who thread.

Now, I've just watched the newest episode and... I kinda liked it, but I miss all the old characters.

Also did the whole 456 thing happen? Because they mentioned a 456 law or something, but no one seems to remember that theres aliens that visited and wanted to steal a bunch of kids.

And Capt'n Jack is lookin goooodddd
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Re: Torchwood

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 11 Jul 2011, 11:37

I'll just re-post my reaction to the new episode from the DW thread since no one bothered replying to it anyway.

"I just watched the newest Torchwood. Pretty interesting.

Though I'm confused... Does Earth in the DW universe still know about aliens or not? Did the finale of season 5 of DW just completely undo everything including the Torchwood's 3rd season?"

SO yeah I'm wondering about the same things you are Korri. It's not like that whole 456 thing could have been covered up either.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 11 Jul 2011, 11:39

I'm not a fan of how the first ep ended, but I'll keep watching it. It certainly has a different feel.
#TeamKroze
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 11 Jul 2011, 13:39

Haven't seen the episode yet, since it airs over here on Thursday, but I caught a promo/teaser/behind-the-scenes thing on the digital red button channel and my mum pointed out that the police cars used are now English cars rather than the Welsh cars previously used (Welsh cars are also marked "Heddlu").
Not to say the fact its an American production is going to ruin it, but it was the little things like that in the original Torchwood that made it feel authentically Welsh, not just staged to look like Wales.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 11 Jul 2011, 14:02

Looking forward to Thursday.

We get Audio plays though, first one aired today, download here (UK Only): http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/torchwood
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Crimson Chin
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby Crimson Chin » 14 Jul 2011, 13:10

korri wrote:Also did the whole 456 thing happen? Because they mentioned a 456 law or something, but no one seems to remember that theres aliens that visited and wanted to steal a bunch of kids.

Muggles; They don't see nothin', do they?

I certainly enjoyed it more than anything from season 1 or 2 (haven't seen 3) Lots of violence and gore, just what we all need from the Whoniverse after all the stuff targeted at younger audiences.

A big mystery is also always good; I've no idea who would be so desperate (and so useless) to incapacitate our heroes.

Do y'all reckon I should go and watch Children of Earth?

Edit: totally didn't get the name of the 3rd series wrong, see ^
Last edited by Crimson Chin on 16 Jul 2011, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 14 Jul 2011, 15:18

I enjoyed it, but it didn't really feel like Torchwood until Jack and Gwen meet up. I'm also interested to know what happens now after the Big Bang 2 and how much people remember and how much they don't.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

korri

Postby korri » 14 Jul 2011, 23:26

Crimson Chin wrote:
korri wrote:Also did the whole 456 thing happen? Because they mentioned a 456 law or something, but no one seems to remember that theres aliens that visited and wanted to steal a bunch of kids.

I certainly enjoyed it more than anything from season 1 or 2 (haven't seen 3) Lots of violence and gore, just what we all need from the Whoniverse after all the stuff targeted at younger audiences.

A big mystery is also always good; I've no idea who would be so desperate (and so useless) to incapacitate our heroes.

Do y'all reckon I should go and watch Children of Time?

Dear god yes. It is the best out of the entire series!! It stands pretty well on its own and it just has a lot of amazing acting from all the actors.
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

korri

Postby korri » 14 Jul 2011, 23:26

Crimson Chin wrote:

Do y'all reckon I should go and watch Children of Time?

Dear god yes. It is the best out of the entire series!! It stands pretty well on its own and it just has a lot of amazing acting from all the actors.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 17 Jul 2011, 11:58

Okay, I remembered to watch it last night - this time, at least :oops: - and it's getting quite good. I've got some conjectures about stuff, but other things just raise more questions than they answer (as always). Not gonna get into specifics so as not to spoil things for others.
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 17 Jul 2011, 16:17

I've come back here to simply post that I think it sucked... sucked so bad.

*Vanish*
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

empath

Postby empath » 17 Jul 2011, 16:37

:shock:

Well.

On one hand, I'm heartened to see RC pop by, even momentarily. :o

On the other, I'm saddened it WAS only momentary, and he's gone again. :(

And on the third hand(?), I'm very mildly annoyed that it's not possible to get more of an explanation for that opinion; though I personally disagree, I'd like to know why someone holds a differing evaluation of the show. :?
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 17 Jul 2011, 18:45

I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Jul 2011, 01:32

I really enjoyed the concept/setting for the season. It gives some interesting questions.

Little bit confused how Cptn Jack returned after being heartbroken at killing his grandson and hooking up with a Titanic clone pilot in a random bar in the future. /care continuity.

It felt a little bit it was going /lolwelsh instead of /it'ssetinwales

Special effects of the graphic distirbness was nicely done and not cheesey.

My major gripe is the preview reel for to come in the season where the Paedofile Murder becomes the 'messiah' (GODDAM RUSSTLE T DAVIS. JUST BECAUSE IT'S AN ADULT VERSION OF DR WHO DOESN'T MEAN YOU NEED EVERYTHING TO REVOLVE AROUND SEX AND HORRIFICNESS. IT MAKES TORCHWOOD IMMATURE IN COMPARISON TO THE CURRENT DR WHO. Also, Jack sticks his tounge down another blokes' throat probably for no reason in the plot, so the Russle T Davies touch there as well.

Torchwood does so many things right but does so many things wrong because it tries to be adult, instead it ends up being teenager while Dr Who remains Mature adult all the way to youngster. I prefer the current Dr Who anyday (I belive Dr Who got statistically on the whole better since Russle T Davis stopped writing for it).
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 18 Jul 2011, 02:39

i quite enjoyed it, but it did have the feel of trying a bit too hard. We shall have to see how things pan out, but i remain unconvinced.

I still need to catch up on the last season of Dr Who :(
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Drinnik

Postby Drinnik » 01 Aug 2011, 05:55

*bump*

OK, after 3 episodes, I have a wild, spurious theory; The Master is behind Miracle Day. Why? Little things really. Phi Cor getting so big, being all over the world? Archangel. Woman dressed in red working for Phi Cor? Same stylist as Lucy Saxon. Jack's comment of Phi Cor's warehouse being bigger on the inside? Time-lord. OK, he wasn't being serious on that last one, but I'm going to wear my tin-foil hat and say it's the Master.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 01 Aug 2011, 06:15

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I really enjoyed the concept/setting for the season. It gives some interesting questions.

Little bit confused how Cptn Jack returned after being heartbroken at killing his grandson and hooking up with a Titanic clone pilot in a random bar in the future. /care continuity.

"Hi, Cpt. Jack Harkness, Immortal time traveler, have we met?"

Just saying, that's a super easy explanation. It could have been 30,000 years since Jack was part of Children of Earth. Wibbly-Wobbly Time-Wimey, and all that.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 01 Aug 2011, 12:58

It's implied in the first episode that Jack kept some kind of watch on Earth after he left, and the "Torchwood" message appearing on intelligence agency computers up and down the East Coast was at least partly intended to attract his attention.
___

I'm sticking with the same opinion I had of the last series: I'm willing to put up with all the dodgy bits of scripting for the pleasure of watching a series that examines the practical and ethical implications of a staggeringly huge event like those in the last series and this one. I love sci-fi that really gets its teeth into change on such a grand scale, even if it does have "Everyone stops for sex" breaks. :roll:

Children of Earth dealt with the consequences of the deal with the 456 and the consequences of the good guys completely screwing up - moreover, screwing up by acting the way that good guys in action TV series usually manage to get away with. The not-shying-away-from-dark-subject-matter schtick sometimes feels forced - "How much worse can we possibly make this? Oooh, I know, paedophilia!" - but it makes fascinating TV.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 01 Aug 2011, 13:58

Jack having sex with that randomer made me lol. Oh that Russel T Davis, such a bad boy. On a serious note, his lover dies in the Children of Earth and promises to never forget him and he now enjoys casual sex. Either as stated, been thousands of years or Jack is a whore. I vote the latter as I don't actually like Captain Jack.

The British/Welsh <-> American culture/lingo comparison was a bit facepalm. I mean, I'm more aware of these cultural differences and I havn't been arrested yet. I guess that what happens to you if you join a secret organisation and isolate yourself from humanity. Also Rory Williams/Pond is able to call Petrol gasoline in America with ease so I think Gwen is just a stubborn brat :>
Though I did laugh at Gwen driving on the wrong side of the road because it's obsurred, a 'punch line' to the scene and heavily implied she's been doing it for a long time and no one actually pointed it out and she magically hasn't noticed/crashed.

So far, the only characters I like is the Doctor, the female CIA office worker and Gwen's husband and daughter. The rest I actually don't care about. Quite a shame that I'm watching a drama where the two main characters I don't care about :P Means when they get into peril the dramatic impact will be less. Then again, the 'disposable' support cast will be disposed more distressingly to me.
empath

Postby empath » 01 Aug 2011, 19:53

Well, glad to see C. Thomas Howell isn't getting typecast or anything. ;)
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 07 Aug 2011, 02:56

having watched the first 4 episodes and contrasting it with Sherlock, which has been repeated on the beeb at the same time, i can conclude that RTD it a goddamn terrible writer from a technical point of view. It's corny, it's silly, there are pointless breaks for casual sex, some of the scenes don't hang together at all well.

however, the fact that he is an absolutely brilliant plotter makes up for it. I can just about deal with the shitty writing when the story itself is so damn good.

Moffatt is a far, far, far better writer and I enjoyed Sherlock a hell of a lot more. They've just started replaying series 6 of Dr who on BBC3 and i can't wait to see it all.

Anyway, enjoying Torchwood despite some very shakey writing. I can't wait to see what happens in the end. That being said, I really wish RTD would take a step back from the writing process and deal with coming up with ideas and running the whole show.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Drinnik

Postby Drinnik » 07 Aug 2011, 05:03

My favourite bits so far are the looking-for-a-cure-on-a-plane bit from episode 2 and the getting-the-biometric-data bit from episode 4.

"You're never doing that accent again."

"I am mortified, absolutely mortified!"

Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 07 Aug 2011, 05:50

I agree with Fishy.

Though I don't understand why people classified as Category 2's wouldn't just be taken to a regular hospital.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 07 Aug 2011, 09:11

I'd be a little more generous to RTD. He's an okay writer, a good plotter, and an excellent world builder (I class him similarly to JK Rowling, although I think she's a marginally better plotter but worse self-editor). Moffat, on the other hand, is one of my favorite tv writers, primarily for his complex and immersive plotting, EXCELLENT character and mood writing, and strong dialogue. Sherlock, for instance, is down right fantastic as an adaptation and update of Holmes, not only because they're great mysteries, alluding to their original source, but because of how well the characters are embodied and presented.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
empath

Postby empath » 07 Aug 2011, 14:56

I'm somewhere between epoc and fish; I do think Davies has some good skills that he brings to a show, but in all honesty, his writing needs to 'fit' his subject material better.

I'm sorry, but he damn well shoehorned a tragic love story into A KID'S SHOW. Image

Oh, and he's taking ideas from Whedon; but they're the WRONG ONES. :P

Return to “General Discussion”