Any Bronies up in here?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Best Pony

Twilight Sparkle
17%
Rarity
5%
Applejack
5%
Pinkie Pie
13%
Rainbow Dash
18%
Fluttershy
23%
Derpy Hooves
7%
Dr. Whooves/My Little Timelord
7%
Zecora
No votes
Other
4%

Total votes: 149
Matt
LRR Crew

Re: Any Bronies up in here?

Postby Matt » 08 Aug 2011, 10:11

THANK YOU, ALEXANDERDITTO.

-m

I am not angry at you.
semysane
First Video: Unskippable: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby semysane » 08 Aug 2011, 10:31

Yeah, I wasn't fond of that episode either. But it DID give us our first canon appearance of Derpy Hooves, so that was awesome.

epocalypse wrote:I wasn't directing it at you, Matt. Your love Rainbow simply reminded me of the issue. I've just noticed other people doing it (like the guys who do the let's watch MLP series, which I enjoy, but have this nitpick about), and the fact that Rainbow does tend to be among most popular while the CMC are often bashed, essentially for being children. My logic is this: if you change swap "get our cutiemarks" with "become a wonderbolt" there ceases to be nearly anything different about their core character motivations.

It gets even worse; there is an entire genre of fan art out there called "Scootabuse" which is basically just pictures of horrible things happening to Scootaloo. Not very Brony of them. Luckily those sort of images are usually banned at Ponychan, my primary MLP hangout.
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 08 Aug 2011, 13:57

Alexander Ditto (and Matt) I had the exact same problem. And it's a real shame, because the physical humour was really good in that episode. And now I can't stand it. Sigh.

Also: Twilight 4 life, dog
Keelah Se'lai
goat

Postby goat » 08 Aug 2011, 15:03

I think there is no small coincidence (and this has been pointed out before) that the writer for "Pinkie Keen" is the same one that wrote "Over a Barrel". Distorted world view much?

Also, re: CMCs, Scootaloo is easily my favorite. Also, if Scootaloo = Rainbow Dash Sweetiebell = Rarity and Applebloom = Applejack
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 08 Aug 2011, 15:05

goat wrote:Also, re: CMCs, Scootaloo is easily my favorite. Also, if Scootaloo = Rainbow Dash Sweetiebell = Rarity and Applebloom = Applejack

In response to that, I have only one question:

WHERE'S THE MINIATURE VERSION OF PINKIE PIE?!?
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 08 Aug 2011, 15:09

she doesn't exist, because Pinkie Pie sucks.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 08 Aug 2011, 15:39

The only thing I like about Pinkie Pie is how she jumps around like Pepe Le Pew. Although I like her more than Rarity for the most part.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 08 Aug 2011, 15:49

AlexanderDitto wrote:OK so I have been bitten by the pony bug. After watching 14 episodes I have to say I am thoroughly enjoying the show.

But... I really hated "Feeling Pinkie Keen." I really hated the message. "Sometimes you just have to believe in things?" What kind of terrible message for kids is that? Not to mention the fact that Twilight's entire strength of character is rooted around investigation, curiosity, and discovery, and with that one episode, they basically said, "whelp, how stupid of you, Twilight, to want to discover the reason behind things! We're going to drop an anvil on you for being so stupid." UGH. Terrible! I want more kids to grow up to be curious, with a thirst for knowledge and the truth, and that episode basically said, "no, don't be skeptical or investigative! Just believe in things! Here, want to buy your horoscope?"

Made me really, really angry.
I still like the episodes physical humor. Anyway, The bad thing about the episode is that Twilight is written with the dumb. What she should be trying to do is figure out how an earth pony can have magical abilities, and attempting to find the cause after correlation becomes clear (analysis and method, bitches, observe, don't assume) instead she assumes that Pinkie's "powers" are fake, because she, almighty scion of all knowledge, has never heard of something like it. Now, that might be fine if it wasn't a world with magic, but it's a world with magic.

And therefore Faust apologizes to us:

http://www.mylittleponynews.com/2011/02/feeling-pinky-keen-controversy.html

Now I demand you all stop insulting my second favorite Mane Cast pony (I have since upgraded twilight to out rank her). Pinkie Pie don't go around trying to force people to believe, she go around loving life, breaking the space time continuum and going insane. Your just mad cause she's the only one who can catch Rainbow Dash.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 08 Aug 2011, 20:06

It's odd, because the way that Lauren intended the lesson to be is how I actually took it: there are just some things that you don't have all the information for, but that doesn't make them any less true. I thought the episode was funny as well. But I avoided watching it because of how people reacted to it on here.
Tycherin

Postby Tycherin » 08 Aug 2011, 20:20

For some reason, I took that episode as encouraging people to trust their friends- but then, as with most episodes, I kinda ignored the letter and inserted my own moral. Like Sonic Rainboom, where the lesson is that driving a fast car will make you popular.

(kidding)
(on the second part, not the first)
thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Postby thatlaurachick » 09 Aug 2011, 05:33

I always just took it to support accepting your friends for who they are, quirks and all.
I want a Pinkie launcher.
Octane
First Video: Unskippable Dead Rising

Postby Octane » 09 Aug 2011, 07:11

madrak_the_red

Postby madrak_the_red » 09 Aug 2011, 07:26

Regarding the cutie mark crusaders...where are their parents?
Keelah Se'lai
thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Postby thatlaurachick » 09 Aug 2011, 07:42

Around. Duh. We don't see *every* inhabitant of Ponyville every week. And besides, how often did you hang around your parents as a pre-teen?
I want a Pinkie launcher.
Octane
First Video: Unskippable Dead Rising

Postby Octane » 09 Aug 2011, 07:46

madrak_the_red wrote:Regarding the cutie mark crusaders...where are their parents?

Apple Bloom is Applejack's sister, so their parents likely work on the farm or something.
Sweetie Belle is Rarity's sister, and she lives with her.
Scootaloo is the odd one out, as her sister isn't Rainbow Dash. She is likely Rainbow's stalker or something. Her parents probably live in Ponyville.
madrak_the_red

Postby madrak_the_red » 09 Aug 2011, 07:46

Lot's, actually. I spent most of my time indoors. But then I'm not exactly normal. :P

...but then why are their sisters always taking care of them?
Keelah Se'lai
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 09 Aug 2011, 09:09

tak197 wrote:It's odd, because the way that Lauren intended the lesson to be is how I actually took it: there are just some things that you don't have all the information for, but that doesn't make them any less true. I thought the episode was funny as well. But I avoided watching it because of how people reacted to it on here.

During the episode I was getting kind of annoyed by what felt like a lead up to a religious moral, but at the end of the episode I thought it was pretty clear that it wasn't going for religious undertones, but just a greater message that we won't always understand everything.

Personally, I think that "sometimes you need to take something on faith" is a great lesson, and one that many adults could stand to learn too. (faith /= religious belief)
#TeamKroze
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 09 Aug 2011, 10:36

thatlaurachick wrote:I always just took it to support accepting your friends for who they are, quirks and all.

I'm pretty sure I had this discussion in the thread previously, but again thats not what the moral of the episode actually said. Had it been, the episode never would have been a problem.

The actual text of the moral is:

"I've come to realize that there are wonderful things in this world you just can't explain, but that doesn't necessarily make them any less true, it just means you have to choose to believe in them, and sometimes, it takes a friend to show you the way"

she is talking about unexplained phenomena, not accepting your friends for their quirks. And with regards to Lauren Faust's expressed intent for the episode, that moral is AT BEST extremely clumsily worded.

Digital Dolphin wrote:
tak197 wrote:It's odd, because the way that Lauren intended the lesson to be is how I actually took it: there are just some things that you don't have all the information for, but that doesn't make them any less true. I thought the episode was funny as well. But I avoided watching it because of how people reacted to it on here.

During the episode I was getting kind of annoyed by what felt like a lead up to a religious moral, but at the end of the episode I thought it was pretty clear that it wasn't going for religious undertones, but just a greater message that we won't always understand everything.

Personally, I think that "sometimes you need to take something on faith" is a great lesson, and one that many adults could stand to learn too. (faith /= religious belief)

And I would disagree. Intensely. The world would only improve if the average person applied substantially more scrutiny to the things they blindly accept as true.

The average person could stand to trust more, (trust being earned by demonstration of worth), but a great deal of faith ought not be given where it is.

Encouraging anyone to have faith in things they don't understand, rather than to pursue understanding is not a lesson that should be taken as a positive one.

There are myriad ways they could have phrased that moral to make it strong. They didn't even have to change it that much. There's nothing (per se) wrong with saying "I've come to realize that there are wonderful things in this world you just can't explain, but that doesn't necessarily make them any less true" - but the rub should be that we should still try to understand them, and that we should be careful about accepting them as true.

-m

I am not angry at you.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 09 Aug 2011, 20:17

Matt wrote:
thatlaurachick wrote:I always just took it to support accepting your friends for who they are, quirks and all.

I'm pretty sure I had this discussion in the thread previously, but again thats not what the moral of the episode actually said. Had it been, the episode never would have been a problem.

The actual text of the moral is:

"I've come to realize that there are wonderful things in this world you just can't explain, but that doesn't necessarily make them any less true, it just means you have to choose to believe in them, and sometimes, it takes a friend to show you the way"

she is talking about unexplained phenomena, not accepting your friends for their quirks. And with regards to Lauren Faust's expressed intent for the episode, that moral is AT BEST extremely clumsily worded.

Digital Dolphin wrote:

And I would disagree. Intensely. The world would only improve if the average person applied substantially more scrutiny to the things they blindly accept as true.

The average person could stand to trust more, (trust being earned by demonstration of worth), but a great deal of faith ought not be given where it is.

Encouraging anyone to have faith in things they don't understand, rather than to pursue understanding is not a lesson that should be taken as a positive one.

There are myriad ways they could have phrased that moral to make it strong. They didn't even have to change it that much. There's nothing (per se) wrong with saying "I've come to realize that there are wonderful things in this world you just can't explain, but that doesn't necessarily make them any less true" - but the rub should be that we should still try to understand them, and that we should be careful about accepting them as true.

-m

The grey area between being naive and being cynical is really small isn't it.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 09 Aug 2011, 20:35

Matt wrote:You're right, Rainbow Dash is the best pony.

-m

semysane wrote:Image

(Yes, I know I'm late, but I've been waiting forever to use that thing! <waves his tiny Rarity fan-flag>)
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 09 Aug 2011, 20:57

Welp, Matt just said everything I was thinking and felt about the episode.

I had no idea there was controversy about the episode. I'm glad Faust addressed it, but I still don't really feel it's satisfactory. At best, the wording is terrible. At worst, it's not just anti-science and pro-superstition, it's a ridiculous moral. "If you can't explain something, you can just choose to believe in it." NOPE. Way to completely destroy Twilight's core character trait.

Oh well. It's a shame, because Derpy Hooves! Whatever. To me, the slapstick physical comedy was REALLY overplayed in that episode, anyway. How many times did I need to see Twilight hit in the face by a door? Wasn't very funny.

Not nearly as funny as Pinkie Pie's "MARACAS." Or her forcing deep-voiced Fluttershy to sing her ridiculous song about Zecora. (Oh man deep voiced Fluttershy might be the best thing.)

I've heard bad things about Over a Barrel, so hearing this is the same writer... hm. Maybe I should skip that episode.
Tycherin

Postby Tycherin » 09 Aug 2011, 21:05

Meh. Watch it, just ignore the message entirely. It has Pinkie Pie doing a... thing. I don't really know what to call it, but it's... something. But yeah, the message of that one is pretty dumb.
semysane
First Video: Unskippable: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby semysane » 09 Aug 2011, 21:07

BTW, these are the voices of Fluttershy

AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 09 Aug 2011, 21:10

semysane wrote:BTW, these are the voices of Fluttershy

THERE IS NO OTHER
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 09 Aug 2011, 21:18

I was going to ask which was which.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site

Return to “General Discussion”