Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 04 Feb 2007, 22:29

'Allo, 'allo, new forumite here. I'd like to set up some manner of avatar, but it seems that such an action is physically impossible with the software I have.

Why is that? Well, a six kilobytes restriction means I cannot possibly shrink down any image to within size perameters without it becoming too small to make out. I've been to many a forum where 100x100 pixels is the norm, and I have many premade 100x100 avatars that I like to use, but none are less than 12 kilobytes in size, twice the limit!

The version of photoshop I use is... shall we say... unsalted and lacking of rabbi-blessings. It has all the standard features I am told, but I cannot for the life of me get it to make anything 100x100 pixels that is 6 kb or less. I've tried simple geometric shapes, text on a white background, nothing, all to no avail. I try saving at the smallest file sizes possible and yet I come away in shame after each attempt. Even smaller sized images, such as the pitiable 50x50, end up too large.

And yet I see plenty of sizable avatars already on the forums. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone assist me in the visual display of certain comedic or definitive images that I associate with facets of my digital avatar's persona?

Also, pie.

~Alja-Markir~
DarkMidget

Postby DarkMidget » 04 Feb 2007, 22:30

Hmm, I think some avatars are just a bigger file size no matter what you do. I think it depends on the colours, size, pixels, everything. Some that I usually use don't work on here either, so I'm not 100% sure on that. I had to shrink my picture unusually small for me to use it, as you can see. I'm sure someone knows the answer to your problem. You are saving it as a jpeg, right?
"Every work of art throughout history would be improved by the addition of ninjas" - Unknown

Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 04 Feb 2007, 22:35

Indeed, JPEG it is. Like I said though, if I save a 100x100 image of absolutely nothing it is still oversized. We're talking a blank white canvas.

I've never heard of a size limit like 6kb. Far more common is 20kb. Even 10kb I could live with.

As it is, I've tried to manually degrade the quality of my images through repeated opening in MS Paint, copying, then pasting into Photoshop. In an age where we're constantly trying to improve the quality of digital information, this seems incredibly backwards. *grins*

~Alja-Markir~
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Feb 2007, 22:41

the forum allows you to link to avatars that don't conform to the limits required for uploads. host your avatar on photobucket, and use the link function, instead of the upload in your profile.

-m

Alja-Markir wrote:I've never heard of a size limit like 6kb. Far more common is 20kb. Even 10kb I could live with.

the IGN board system, one of the largest on the net, has a limit of 5k. or at least they did for years.

I am not angry at you.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 04 Feb 2007, 23:00

Well, that's handy. Perhaps someone should change the profile screen so that such information is conveyed when one attempts to add an avatar?

Just a thought. Thank you though!

~Alja-Markir~

Addendum - You do realize it's friggen' IGN, right? I mean, right? IGN? They're evil, don'cha know. Like Wal-Mart. And zombified Orville Redenbacher. And bouillabaisse.
DarkMidget

Postby DarkMidget » 04 Feb 2007, 23:35

... I wish I had known that too :P
"Every work of art throughout history would be improved by the addition of ninjas" - Unknown

Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Misty » 04 Feb 2007, 23:43

Haha, if the 6kb size limit were strictly enforced anyone using one of my gifs would be screwed, they're waaaay over 6kb. Thank God that's a relatively obscure rule.

Follow Matt's instructions and you'll be fine :wink:
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 05 Feb 2007, 08:40

Yeah, I had crazy trouble with it at first. I just had a seriously blurry turtle shark. It was sad.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 05 Feb 2007, 09:34

Alja-Markir wrote:Perhaps someone should change the profile screen so that such information is conveyed when one attempts to add an avatar?

If only I knew how...

Return to “General Discussion”