Space Marine

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Terminus
First Video: Unskippable ("Vanquish")

Space Marine

Postby Terminus » 08 Sep 2011, 18:05

Okay, I know that those of us who like 40K are considered nerds almost on par with Star Wars fanbois, but I don't really care. I just got my mitts on Space Marine and to misquote an old song, "Why must I be a 40K nerd in love?"

This game is so violent, it's psychotic. I've played 75 minutes (it's 4AM and bedtime now) and in that time, I've killed 541 enemies! And when you kill an Ork with a chainsword, he doesn't die, he EXPLODES!

Very gory and very satisfying. The level design is very good (what I've seen so far), giving a good "Gothic future" look. Some of the structures are ridiculously huge.

I've no doubt that I'll come down from my adrenaline-fueled infatuation at some point, but for the moment...? Om-nom-nom-40K-nom-nom-nom... 8)
As Yahtzee said, there is no middle finger big enough.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: Space Marine

Postby Geoff_B » 09 Sep 2011, 00:25

Terminus wrote:Om-nom-nom-40K-nom-nom-nom... 8)

I didn't realise the tyranids were in this game...
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Draken693
First Video: I can't remember anymore. Been too long.

Postby Draken693 » 09 Sep 2011, 04:48

I am getting it as soon as I have money. Besides the single player, have you played the multiplayer?
Terminus

Postby Terminus » 09 Sep 2011, 06:53

I haven't tried multi yet, for two reasons. Firstly, I make a point of always finishing the SP campaign before diving into MP, and secondly I want to play with two friends from my CoDBlOps days, who don't have Space Marine yet.

The game continues to be gorgeously gory, but don't go into it expecting a very strong story. 40K is an archetype-driven universe, and they've ALL come to the party.

One major NPC has "I Will Betray You" written in flaming letters on his forehead; I'm waiting for the bit of the story where I get to put my thunder hammer through said forehead.
Terminus

Postby Terminus » 10 Sep 2011, 12:28

And thus, the SP campaign of Space Marine comes to an end. The final boss fight was a series of QTE's. Such a disappointment.

Overall, a good (if short) experience. Satisfyingly visceral, but that last boss fight? I suspect Yahtzee might have a thing or two to say about that.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 10 Sep 2011, 14:36

Squigs! I hate squigs! Especially when they're mixed in with a mini-boss type orc!

Haven't tried the multiplayer yet though.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 11 Sep 2011, 08:05

Okay, it took a couple more hours of "d/l for five sec, then "Suspended" for thirty, then d/l..." but $team actually got the full files for the demo and it was workable.

That was messily satisfying; I may end up getting this for Xmas and then firing it up on easy/god mode for a couple minutes of mindless stress relief on bad days. :)

Catches the epic atmosphere of the milieu pretty well, too - although the Orks' voice acting isn't quite what I'd created in my mind's ear, if you will; little too...'enunciated'? 'articulate'? 'verbose'? *shrug* Whatever, it's a tiny little thing that even a nitpicker like me can easily forget amid all the blood and fury. :mrgreen:
Terminus

Postby Terminus » 11 Sep 2011, 09:29

I feel the same. Not one solitary "DIE, HUMIE!"
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 11 Sep 2011, 09:36

I tried the demo and enjoyed it. Not something I'd drop $50 on right now, but I have a birthday coming up, and there's always steam sales.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Dr.Ninja
First Video: Unskippable and ENN

Postby Dr.Ninja » 11 Sep 2011, 10:09

I'm actually saving money to pick up DoW 2 but I tried the demo and this is an awesome looking game. Way better then Gears and similar series I must say.
Terminus

Postby Terminus » 11 Sep 2011, 10:24

Geoff_B wrote:Squigs! I hate squigs! Especially when they're mixed in with a mini-boss type orc!

Squigs are HILARIOUS! Nothing but teeth and bomb belt... :lol:

Very satisfying to have three of them running at you at once, putting a bolt through one, and then having the other two (along with a dozen Gretchin) turn into Chunky Salsa...
Terminus

Postby Terminus » 11 Sep 2011, 10:25

As for the people who claim that this "rips off" Gears of War, they can look at the healing mechanic in either game, and try to decide which one is cooler...
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 11 Sep 2011, 11:55

Terminus wrote:
Geoff_B wrote:Squigs! I hate squigs! Especially when they're mixed in with a mini-boss type orc!

Squigs are HILARIOUS! Nothing but teeth and bomb belt... :lol:

Very satisfying to have three of them running at you at once, putting a bolt through one, and then having the other two (along with a dozen Gretchin) turn into Chunky Salsa...

Oh sure they're hilarious. I'm surrounded by greenskins and hacking my way through gretchin and ork boyz left right and centre and I hear the tell tale roar and now you want me to put down my sword and fire off a couple of shots at a blob with a bomb (blobbomb?) that's running full pelt towards me while the boyz and grots hack my health to bits.

Fun :D

empath wrote:That was messily satisfying; I may end up getting this for Xmas and then firing it up on easy/god mode for a couple minutes of mindless stress relief on bad days. :)

Maybe it's the way I'm playing it or the fact that I'm not the greatest gamer around but easy mode !== god mode. However I fully agree that a god mode would be awesome.

Terminus

Postby Terminus » 11 Sep 2011, 14:47

The good thing about Space Marine is that you don't actually have to put down your sword. Ranged and melee combat are so seamlessly integrated, it's amazing that nobody's thought about doing it this way before.

And Geoff? Once you get a jump pack, don't feel shy about ground-pounding into explosive barrels. You won't take that much damage from the explosion, but anybody else...? Oh, mama!
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 11 Sep 2011, 14:50

Oh yes I love jump packs :D And I love the kill animations when you saw an ork to pieces :D It's just the squigs I hate...

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 11 Sep 2011, 17:13

Geoff_B wrote:
empath wrote:That was messily satisfying; I may end up getting this for Xmas and then firing it up on easy/god mode for a couple minutes of mindless stress relief on bad days. :)

Maybe it's the way I'm playing it or the fact that I'm not the greatest gamer around but easy mode !== god mode. However I fully agree that a god mode would be awesome.

There I go again, obfuscating my intent; I meant "on easy mode (or a god-mode cheat code if any gets revealed)" :oops:

But yeah, no guarantee of that, so I'd settle with 'easy' (I did the demo on normal and only died twice...once to those damn little squigs {without realising what happened} and then once to that 'inquisitor' level-boss while I was getting used to the diff actions of the axe from the chainsword)
Terminus

Postby Terminus » 16 Sep 2011, 03:30

I've done some multiplayer now, and it's been disappointing. Not so much a gameplay issue (even if there are weapons and perks that are ****ing irritating), but the fact that it's so unfinished. They released it with a mere four multiplayer maps and two modes. Not good enough, but I suppose they had a release date to make. It's supposedly coming, but for now, it's not very interesting.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 16 Sep 2011, 04:11

I finished the single player last night. I thought it got really good half way though - the combat and gameplay became a lot more satisfying. (Thunder Hammer FTW!)

Didn't like the ending though. Seemed a bit unnecessary, as if they just tacked it on in the hope they'll get a sequel.

coelacanthiformes
First Video: Phailhaus 5

Postby coelacanthiformes » 13 Apr 2012, 17:42

I havnt had a chance to play much, ridiculous work hours and a computer in its death throws complicate matters, but what I have played makes me realize how much I freaking love games that step outside the normal fps, rts, rpg formula and try something different. THQ has always been a fun developer for that reason
Strave

Postby Strave » 17 Apr 2012, 12:17

I also just recently started playing this. I picked it up on Steam while it was cheap (curse you, Steam Sales!) and basically forgot about it for a month or two. Glad I finally started playing it, though; it's turned out to be quite fun.

I think I pretty much agree with everything that's been said. The combat is intense and satisfying, the character archetypes are played up just like they should be in 40k, and Squigs-bombs are horrible. :D

One thing that I'm surprised no one has mentioned so far is the female Imperial Guard Lieutenant. It's very refreshing to find a game (or film, or any media these days) with a female character that is not crying for help from the big burly men, and who isn't particularly sexualized. I was quite impressed with Relic for the way she was depicted. (Though, again, I haven't finished the campaign yet.)

I've gotta say, though: I'm terrified to play the multiplayer. I can't imagine it working very well in this style of game, but once I finish the campaign, I'll give it a shot.
kareldsouza
First Video: sfhhsdjhsjdafa

Postby kareldsouza » 24 Apr 2012, 23:17

Last night i have played this game with my friends.It is very interesting game. My all the friends are also like this game...............
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 25 Apr 2012, 00:26

Woo Bot! Kill it in the name of the Emperor! DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA

Return to “Video Games”