Okami

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Keab42

Okami

Postby Keab42 » 08 Sep 2011, 12:06

So I've been meaning to buy this ever since I heard Paul talking about it on podcasts. But I've discovered that is available for both of the consoles in my possession, so which should I buy it for, Wii or PS2?
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: Okami

Postby Geoff_B » 08 Sep 2011, 12:19

I have it for PS2 and due to the whole painting thing I would have said the Wii version

It's a great game but I gave up on it about 3/4 of the way through - some stupid minigame drove me nuts.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 08 Sep 2011, 13:28

I've had it for the Wii for almost a year now and have only played about 12 hours. It hasn't really grabbed me, despite basically being Zelda, which I normally really like. The Wii controls are okay, but I found shaking the controller to attack to be a real hassle. The painting also seems a bit imprecise, but I don't know how much better it would be using the sticks on a PS2. I'd say get it on whichever console is easier to find it on.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Postby thatlaurachick » 08 Sep 2011, 13:42

Wii. I never played it on the PS, but comparing notes with those who have, the Wii quirks are far easier to deal with.

Okami is my most favorite/awesomest/BEST game ever. It is a 10. I've logged over 200 hours on this game and STILL love it to death.

And just a warning, be prepared for a long opening cutscene. Like 45 minutes long. And do watch all of it at least once. :)
I want a Pinkie launcher.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 08 Sep 2011, 14:08

Both copies are just as easy to obtain and the same price. That was why I was asking for opinions, there is nothing to separate them.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 08 Sep 2011, 14:18

Oh, there exist TONS of things that separate the versions.

You will draw a lot. Ask yourself - would you rather try to draw a circle quickly with a PS2 stick (making sure the stick touches every vertex quickly) or use a Wiimote where you just have to make sure you start and end in the same approximate position, quickly. :D
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 08 Sep 2011, 20:53

From what I can gather, the Wii version is an improvement on the PS2 version, but the improvements aren't sufficient to warrant an upgrade from the PS2 version to the Wii version, or at least that's what I was told.
The guy who told me this was one of the most knowledgeable and trustworthy independent video game store owners I've ever met, so I'm liable to trust his judgement on this one. (He was spot on with everything else I consulted him on!)

Quite how that nugget would influence your purchase, I'll leave up to you, but I thought I ought to share anyway!
Kyogissun
First Video: Three PS3's or one of the X ways to Y

Postby Kyogissun » 13 Sep 2011, 14:40

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA.

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY THE WII VERSION. IT RENDERS A THIRD OF THE WEAPONS USELESS... SPECIFICALLY THE SWORDS.

The control for using swords is, I swear to god, completely broken.

Buy it for the PS2, please.
Currently Playing: Skyrim (Dawnguard), Bunch of Shit on Steam (Blame the Summer Sale), Tales of Graces f
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3D, Torchlight II

I attend (almost) every FNM at Millenium Games in Henrietta.

Steam: OhYouFoal
XBL GT: Kyogissun
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 13 Sep 2011, 16:07

I'd definitely go with the PS2, I found the wii controls pretty inaccurate and frustrating. There is a lot of needless waggle, and while you would think with the painting mechanic that the wii might be better, it really isn't. I found it to be very fussy about the shapes needed for painting, even just pulling off the simple slash attack (a STRAIGHT LINE) was difficult at times.

Furthermore, the PS2 version just looks nicer. While the Wii version has widescreen, a number of the effects from the PS2 version were not properly ported over. In the end the Wii version felt pretty half-baked to me, and I'd definitely buy a PS2 copy if I could find one.
and now; back to me.
Xix
First Video: Son of a bitch

Postby Xix » 14 Sep 2011, 17:17

I have the Wii version, aside from the painting the control scheme on the PS2 is loads better.
So much unnecessary wrist flicking.
"Quickly, evolve into a less shitty pokemon"
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 15 Sep 2011, 14:47

ANeMzero wrote: just pulling off the simple slash attack (a STRAIGHT LINE) was difficult at times.

Quick fix for that - it doesn't matter how STRAIGHT the line - just that you draw mostly straight (even at an angle) and FAST. The Wii controls are about speed and direction, not about shape.

If you're trying to draw a perfect circle in the air with a Wiimote, you're doing it wrong.
Dibria
First Video: The Job

Postby Dibria » 22 Sep 2011, 00:13

Hours plower into the wii version and I have to say the controls make fights an exercise in frustration, sometimes a violent shake will result in no action on screen and sometimes someone bumping you on their way to the sofa results in an attack. Also the drawing, while supposadly quicker on the wii, becomes near impossible if the batteries in your co roller are even a little weak making the brush jump awkwardly so that you have to start again.

But if you can get the game cheap the game shines through all the faults.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 28 Sep 2011, 10:28

Be sure to check out the 8-bit version of Okami on the Japanese website. Just click the little 8-bit Amaterasu icon.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!

Return to “Video Games”