Occupy Wallstreet

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Re: Occupy Wallstreet

Postby epocalypse » 06 Oct 2011, 20:25

The fact of the matter is that the US does not have a true "free market" system, and that a free market system is unsustainable on a large scale because destructive competition will eventually become some kind of Corporatism (oligarchical, fascistic, totalitarian, but regardless of what you want to call it, run by corporations) and we don't have a truly regulated or social captalist model (which is what I believe we need, but besides the point). What we have is a kind of government subsidized corporate pseudo-capitalism oligarchy, which requires that the biggest private corporations be saved by public funding but then disallows the government from being a true investor by demanding it not influence the business plan of the companies it backs. In a word, what we have is stupidity.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 06 Oct 2011, 22:42

Also, whats this about reinstating import tariffs? I'm pretty sure they still exist. But raising them isn't going to matter. A lot of stuff from china, even with shipping, has become so cheap it's impossible to produce it cheaper locally. Even with a doubling or even tripling of import tariffs.

Especially the cost of sea freight has dropped so dramatically in the last decade (largely due to the use of standardized shipping containers) that even the massively increased import/export cost has not been able to stop prices from dropping. And with modern computer and tracking systems, prices are predicted to drop even further due to increased efficiency of the entire system.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 07 Oct 2011, 06:15

epocalypse wrote:It's evil wizards.

Got it.
-Wraith
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 07 Oct 2011, 06:57

Oh Virtual Shackles, you get me so well.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 07 Oct 2011, 07:17

arch4non
First Video: 3 ps3's

Postby arch4non » 07 Oct 2011, 09:18

What I'm tired of is people pointing to others who are less fortunate than I while saying I should be content with my shit sandwich because at least the bread isn't bad.
Valliac
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Valliac » 07 Oct 2011, 12:13

Occupy Sesame Street
"Also known as a 'Trigger-operated EVERYONE deterrent'."
Streaming at: http://www.twitch.tv/Valliac

Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 07 Oct 2011, 12:30

LOL.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 07 Oct 2011, 12:44

So the impression I got from Wraith's first post is that the entire thing is the equivalent to a lot of people doing this.

And that's a terrible thing.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 07 Oct 2011, 13:23

the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 07 Oct 2011, 14:07

I'm curious to see how Occupy Vancouver will go... the plan is for it to run for 2 months from what I've heard.
#TeamKroze
Rikadyn

Postby Rikadyn » 07 Oct 2011, 15:34

Digital Dolphin wrote:I'm curious to see how Occupy Vancouver will go... the plan is for it to run for 2 months from what I've heard.

(Queues up footage from the Stanley Cup Finals Game 7 post game party)
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 07 Oct 2011, 16:01

I have a friend who is "occupying" San Francisco. I understand he want's to be part of history, but... *sigh* it hurts my head.
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 07 Oct 2011, 16:56

Occupied makes it sound like a restroom...
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Rikadyn

Postby Rikadyn » 07 Oct 2011, 18:28

Eh, wait till a week of bad weather and they'll prolly disappear...
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 07 Oct 2011, 19:24

MinionStarwind wrote:Image

Occupy Sesame Street

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 07 Oct 2011, 20:50

Dutch guy wrote:Also, whats this about reinstating import tariffs? I'm pretty sure they still exist. But raising them isn't going to matter. A lot of stuff from china, even with shipping, has become so cheap it's impossible to produce it cheaper locally. Even with a doubling or even tripling of import tariffs.

Especially the cost of sea freight has dropped so dramatically in the last decade (largely due to the use of standardized shipping containers) that even the massively increased import/export cost has not been able to stop prices from dropping. And with modern computer and tracking systems, prices are predicted to drop even further due to increased efficiency of the entire system.

Also one of the reasons the great depression was so bad was effect of the tariff walls erected to protect domestic producers. Global trade dried up messing up any economy dependant on exports.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 07 Oct 2011, 21:19

You know what gets me? People are simultaneously talking about “the evils of the 1%” and then inducting Steve Jobs; a billionaire whom I’ve yet to meet a single person that knew him and didn’t think he was a royal asshole of man, into sainthood. And half of them probably hate Bill Gates, despite him giving the bulk of his fortune away to aid “the 99%”
-Wraith
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 07 Oct 2011, 21:39

It's cool. I saw that movie. James Bond kills him.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 09 Oct 2011, 18:40

:Edit
Matt wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I just don't see how posting photos of how poor we are is going to help when the statistics already reflect that.

Thing is, the "I am the 99%" portion of the protest is one of the stronger elements, and one of the ones I most adamantly support. It puts faces to those stats, and it tells the stories those stats don't. That's powerful, and that's much less easily dismissed.

It also ties very directly into practical solutions:

-bankers held responsible for the damage they've caused to the economy.

-comprehensive campaign finance reform, to mitigate the extent to which politicians can be bought.

-the revocation of corporate personhood, to put political voice back in the hands of the people.

-stricter regulation of financial institutions, to prevent banks from gambling on people's livelihoods.

-taxation adjusted so the the effective tax rate faced by individuals with the greatest ability to pay is not LOWER than that of the people upon the backs of whom they earn their fortunes.

There's a message there, and there are clear, practically achievable solutions inherent within.

There's just no structure to the protest, and the message is getting diluted and lost.

-m

This is what I was getting at. Matt is always so much more concise about this sort of thing.
^( " )^
winner!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 10 Oct 2011, 05:38

Well, things seem to be distilling into an actual message and agenda, and while that's GOOD, I fear the Media has already lost interest and the opportunity has been wasted.

Again, I'm with Wraith that all this could have turned out better if the organizers had spent an extra week working out some actual talking points and slogans and whatnot BEFORE getting everyone to gather... :(
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 10 Oct 2011, 08:12

I'm not convinced, I think that the media is still desperately trying to pigeon hole the movement and so still has some interest. I'd give them another week if they are still on the current trend. If it is bolstered in the next week by more people or police incompetence or some other head lines story, they might buy themselves an extra week.
^( " )^
winner!
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 10 Oct 2011, 09:10

At occupy boston, which I drove past yesterday, someone had a sign that said "NOT MOVING TIL U GIVE US JOBS".

I can't even think about their approach to life without getting irritated at them.
Drunk On Mystery
First Video: Some episode of Unskippable.

Postby Drunk On Mystery » 10 Oct 2011, 09:34

The lack of a clear, concise message is the biggest reason I can't get behind this, at least as it exists now.

"End Poverty!" isn't an actionable item.

"End the toxic relationship between the government and Wall St!" is a step in the right direction, and has the kind of Us vs. Them thinking that people can rally behind, but again: without a clear goal, you're just going to end up with a bunch of symbolic gestures(at best) and no real change. We've had that before.

"Reinstate the Glass-Steagal act" is an actionable item, but the problem there is that the average person has no idea what the Glass-Steagal act even is, let alone what effect its repeal had on the banking industry over the last 12 years.

It's a tricky spot.

And Wraith: While I can appreciate your position and your feelings on the matter, arguing(or implying) that the sub-prime mortgage crisis could be blamed squarely on "a system so that any unqualified idiot could take out three mortgages." created by Democrats is a gross oversimplification to the topic at hand. It'd be like pointing at a single snowflake and blaming it for the entire avalanche.
This is why we can't have nice things.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 10 Oct 2011, 12:04

TomBrend wrote:At occupy boston, which I drove past yesterday, someone had a sign that said "NOT MOVING TIL U GIVE US JOBS".

I can't even think about their approach to life without getting irritated at them.

Yeah; it's really GROSS to want the corpse of a cancer victim; I mean I wasn't exactly a fan of his, but at least let his body be given a little respect.

Return to “General Discussion”