Loading Ready Gym

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lisra
First Video: Commodore Hustle 4

Re: Loading Ready Gym

Postby Lisra » 09 Oct 2011, 13:47

If it isn't safe, buy it bottled. If you don't like the taste, man up and deal with it; that much sugar is insanely unhealthy.

I'm no dietician (and to be honest at my university us from the other paramedical studies snicker about the dieticians because they are pretty odd folk by and large), could you explain, or link me to somewhere, why sugar is so unhealthy? I'm not trying to wind you up, I genuinely don't know and am curious. Isn't it all just a form of carbohydrate in the end?

I can eat as much as I like and it just burns away (funnily enough, I have a slightly above average skin temperature.. maybe that's a link) and I never gain damn weight, except through getting muscle mass.
Adulthood can go fuck itself.
I'm not a girl. (:
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Oct 2011, 14:43

Diabeetus?
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 09 Oct 2011, 15:09

that's also on the body being able to turn that sugar into what it needs. its not ALWAYS the amount consumed, that just helps it along
Also, I got home and have some goji tea and green/white tea bags so I'm content. I can now start drinking those... after I finish this AZ ice tea.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 09 Oct 2011, 16:17

Lisra wrote:
If it isn't safe, buy it bottled. If you don't like the taste, man up and deal with it; that much sugar is insanely unhealthy.

I'm no dietician (and to be honest at my university us from the other paramedical studies snicker about the dieticians because they are pretty odd folk by and large), could you explain, or link me to somewhere, why sugar is so unhealthy? I'm not trying to wind you up, I genuinely don't know and am curious. Isn't it all just a form of carbohydrate in the end?

The gist of it is that sugar isn't innately unhealthy in a moderate amount. Your body does need glucose after all. The problem with two litres of sugary drinks a day would be the over 200 grams of sugar, on top of whatever else he might be eating throughout the day. Even a non-low carb diet shouldn't involve much more than 300 grams of carbohydrates a day. If 2/3 of your daily carb intake is coming from a nutritionally worthless substance, that leaves less room for nutritionally valuable things like fruits and vegetables. That's actually the real danger with any sweetened drink(including fruit juice): they provided calories, usually a lot, but don't satiate you at all. Makes it very easy to over eat.

So I guess that's why sugar is so unhealthy: it doesn't satiate and makes over-consumption very easy and likely. Diabetes is also a concern for many people, especially if they're over-weight. Also possible links to higher LDL(bad cholesterol) levels, but I'm haven't been following that.

I'm having trouble finding specific info that doesn't go on about "toxins" and other biological boogymen. I'll link here for now. It's a copy of the Low Carb Megathread originally from Something Awful's Watch and Woot forum. Some of the information is out of date, but the basics are useful. I don't personally recommend low-carb. It works, but not generally for the reason proponents think.

Also: do NOT rely on your metabolism. It will betray you eventually. I'm a pretty small guy in general, and when I started college, I was tiny: all of a 120 pounds. But the abundance of cheap, shitty food and the lack of activity caused me to gain a good deal of weight. It happened gradually so I didn't really realize it. But by the time I graduated, I had gained almost thirty pounds and a chin. It kept going up from there until I did something about it. Keep exercising, but don't get complacent with your diet.
taza
First Video: Max Effect

Postby taza » 09 Oct 2011, 16:24

Lisra wrote:

I can eat as much as I like and it just burns away (funnily enough, I have a slightly above average skin temperature.. maybe that's a link) and I never gain damn weight, except through getting muscle mass.

Sugar isn't unhealthy assuming you're not overweight or prone to insulin resistance. Not even in that amount.

Sugar easily causes weight gain; being overweight is unhealthy. Sugar, in itself, is not dangerous or unhealthy.
Lisra
First Video: Commodore Hustle 4

Postby Lisra » 10 Oct 2011, 11:44

Gollom wrote:So I guess that's why sugar is so unhealthy: it doesn't satiate and makes over-consumption very easy and likely. Diabetes is also a concern for many people, especially if they're over-weight. Also possible links to higher LDL(bad cholesterol) levels, but I'm haven't been following that.

I'm having trouble finding specific info that doesn't go on about "toxins" and other biological boogymen. I'll link here for now. It's a copy of the Low Carb Megathread originally from Something Awful's Watch and Woot forum. Some of the information is out of date, but the basics are useful. I don't personally recommend low-carb. It works, but not generally for the reason proponents think.

Also: do NOT rely on your metabolism. It will betray you eventually. I'm a pretty small guy in general, and when I started college, I was tiny: all of a 120 pounds. But the abundance of cheap, shitty food and the lack of activity caused me to gain a good deal of weight. It happened gradually so I didn't really realize it. But by the time I graduated, I had gained almost thirty pounds and a chin. It kept going up from there until I did something about it. Keep exercising, but don't get complacent with your diet.

Hm. That would be kinda nice, actually. I've been at university for 2 years, living on my on and all, in a land that's more tuned towards bad food than where I come from.. but that hasn't changed. I'm still sitting at like 57-58kg for 170cm. That's after I gainedn about 3kg in muscle mass through exercise.
I'm monitoring these developments, since that's sorta my job, but it just doesn't seem to change. It was very funny though when 2 of my friends tried to make me gain weight while eating the same stuff they did for me.. both gained like 5kg.

But the calories -> saturation relation is a good one, feels kinda obvious know that I've been told, thanks.

Bodies are weird, huh?
Adulthood can go fuck itself.
I'm not a girl. (:
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 10 Oct 2011, 12:00

Add more dairy, Lisra. Maximum dairy. And squats.
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 17 Oct 2011, 17:56

I am failing at diet this week. I was going to try being really good until friday, when I'm having a dessert potluck, but I've been eating 1500+ calories too often.

I'm off low-carb for a while because my lovely girlfriend doesn't like the food I cook when I'm on it, and she only knows how to cook carb-filled things and steak, but we don't have a grill.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 17 Oct 2011, 19:34

I had to quit my weekly pole class (I know one hour a week is only barely a workout, but I'm working on it) a few months ago because my erratic work schedule meant I couldn't commit to a regular class. My abs and biceps got sad, as a result, so now that I have a more regular schedule, I'm so psyched to be going back next week. My original plan was to start going twice a week, so hopefully after I'm used to this again, I can pick up the pace again.
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 22 Oct 2011, 06:39

I had a dessert potluck last night. Best diet break day I've ever had.
Gollom

Postby Gollom » 22 Oct 2011, 10:07

I had to go to a wedding last week, and went to put on my suit I haven't had to wear in years. I actually NEEDED the belt, so that was pretty awesome. When I bought it, the guy said "We'll get you a 34, because you aren't going to get smaller". Total smug face right now.

Definitely need to start lifting weights, though. And cycling again; it's getting cold, but I shouldn't really be wimping out until there's actually a wind chill to worry about.
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 22 Oct 2011, 10:27

When I read "34" in that I was thinking chest, and I was like 0_o.

But congrats! I love the feeling of accomplishment from that loose-pants feedback.
Gollom

Postby Gollom » 22 Oct 2011, 10:34

I'm a little young to wear my pants that high.
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 13 Nov 2011, 21:25

I'm back up a couple of pounds- halloween candy and lots of beer haven't been good to me. I'm going to start trying to diet again starting tomorrow. I also need to get back to the gym, but my class/homework/extracurricular schedule hasn't been working out great for that.

I'm hoping I can convince my girlfriend to start going with me, but that only really works one day a week, so I'm gonna have to convince at least one other gym buddy to return to exercise as well.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 13 Nov 2011, 21:45

so I read this
www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/
and lol'd. Then thought about it.. it's true, it's not ONLY about what you eat, rather portion sizes and how often. I thought about it and realized I consume a lot often. So I'm trying to cut back on portion sizes and amount, but even now, I'm still hungry. I had dinner then about two hours later two 100 calorie snacks. and now, an hour later. I'm hungry again.
Not even "I wanna eat something" hungry. Rather 'stomach growling hungry'
I've had a decent amount to eat today. Dinner was pasta, a good portion of vegetable for lunch, and the snacks.
Suggestions?
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 13 Nov 2011, 21:47

How much have you had to drink today, gcninja? Maybe upping your intake of water will help.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 13 Nov 2011, 21:48

Two bottles of water in the past 6 hours, one at work and a coffee in between. That's it

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 13 Nov 2011, 23:44

I think it might take your body a little while to get used to regular sized portion instead of larger sized. When I went on a cruise a few years ago I ate huge meals every day, and then when I got home my body expected the same and it took a couple days to get sorted out. Don't starve yourself, but give it a bit more time.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 14 Nov 2011, 00:32

Just dropping in because I'm re-starting my diet and exercise program. I'm 6'2" and currently 225 lbs. I'm trying to get myself down to about 180.

I've had moderate success with the Hacker's Diet, but I bounced back when I stopped following it. Right now I'm just trying to reduce portions and increase activity.

As it's pretty hard for me to build new habits, I'm giving myself an incentive: If I go to the gym (there's a small one on-site at our apartment complex) three times a week, and exercise for at least a half hour each time, I earn a reward.

I'm using Gundam models as rewards, but it doesn't really matter what the reward is. My accounting for these is 1 week = 1 no-grade or SD Gundam. 2 weeks, and no reward previously is an HG gundam. 6 weeks (no rewards, no breaks) is worth an MG, and 18 weeks (no rewards, no breaks) is worth a perfect grade. If I fail to meet my weekly goal any one week, I forfeit any rewards I've earned.

As far as portion and snack control go, I've cut out sodas entirely (this was easier to do than expected), and try to just drink a glass of water every time I feel hungry, instead of snacking. I've found it pretty hard to plan meals in advance, and K and I both have strange work schedules. As a result, we keep a lot of ready-to-eat food around. I do need to start cooking more often, but it's hard to break the habit of eating convenience food when it's meal-time.

I'm not monitoring my weight daily (down that road lies madness), but am instead weighing in about twice weekly and tracking with weightbot (I am totally trying to get K bought in on the Withings scale).

As far as sugar (discussion above), ye gods! 4 liters of soda a day?
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 14 Nov 2011, 07:35

One thing you can do if you have a weird schedule, is, when you have time, make a large portion of good food that does well as leftovers. I do things like pastas, wrap filling (chicken or steak fajitas, beef or bean burritos), enchiladas, casseroles, turkey burgers, stir frys, soups, etc. Then when I'm in a hurry I can just nuke that. Keep a box of spring mix or other pre-washed salad in the fridge and some pre-chopped veggies, instant full meal anytime.

I'm not making much progress, but then I'm not trying that hard either - I haven't lost weight, but I've lost waist size? I'm back playing ball hockey again, which is really great exercise, and I just ran into a friend who I might start climbing with again.
Gollom

Postby Gollom » 14 Nov 2011, 07:57

gcninja wrote:so I read this
www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/
and lol'd. Then thought about it.. it's true, it's not ONLY about what you eat, rather portion sizes and how often.

My friend linked me to this the other day and I could see the smug look on his face through the internet. My iPad started dripping smug.

Anyway, this isn't really news. Yes, in terms of weight loss your body only cares about calories in - calories burned. The reason you should generally avoid junk food like that, though, is that it's A: not very filling, and B: not very nutritious. You could live off junk food but you'd end up with gangrene, possibly diabetes and a host of other malnutrition related illnesses.

tl;dr: Gollom is a wet blanket. Eat your veggies and don't over indulge on Twinkies.

Also, re: the hunger after eating thing. Your stomach is big. It's used to you eating so much food that restricting your portions doesn't fill it up. As long as you keep restricting your portions, it'll shrink down a bit and you won't feel hungry as often. Other things to do: more lean protein and fibre. Both will produce a full feeling with less calories consumed. And eat slower. It takes time for your stomach to tell your brain that it's full. Eating slower gives more time for that signal to reach your brain, mean you'll have eaten less. Means more leftovers too, which is awesome for days you don't feel like cooking anything.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 07 Dec 2011, 03:42

I did a 10 km race for the first time in over two years this evening. I was silly enough to go rock climbing yesterday so my upper body is quite sore. The last few kilometres where rather uncomfortable as my arms felt like lead. Through in the fact I am not use to running in warm weather (It was a sunny 28) and I did not have the best race. I still managed at time of 56:15 which is slow by the standards of my previous running (I ran sub 40 minutes in high school) but I am happy with it.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.

Return to “General Discussion”