Miniature Wargamers Assemble

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Miniature Wargamers Assemble

Postby aeric90 » 19 Oct 2011, 12:46

I'm sure there's a thread out there I could have necroed for this but I'm lazy... HOORAY!

I know we've got to have some fantasy/sci-fi wargammers in the pack here. Lets see what you play and what you've painted!

I've shared this on Google+ but figured it's geeky enough to post here too. So here they are, my first two finished minis. They are an Ironclad heavy Warjack and Commander Coleman Stryker from Warmachine.

Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: Miniature Wargamers Assemble

Postby Geoff_B » 19 Oct 2011, 13:08

So I recently got back into WH40K and I've painted up a few Ultramarines.

Considering I haven't picked up a brush for the last seven years I don't think they turned out too badly.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 19 Oct 2011, 16:09

I used to play 40k but my local group slowly died and the closest games store was further away than I could btoher with, especially if I was going alone (strange people? HAHAHAHAno.) I also had a small amount of Warhammer Fantasy that I built upon when I started hanging out with a new group of gamers, but now Fantasy is dying (at least in aus). However the group of aforementioned gamers that I now hang out with regularly are all avid Warmachine players and host a tournament once a month, conveniently the day after they hold our monthly D&D game, so last time I was over I borrowed the Cryx rulebook and am really keen to start.
ImageImage
Ahlir
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Ahlir » 19 Oct 2011, 16:23

I really wanna get into this sort of gaming but I don't think anyone who is into it. Or even where to get stuff for it. Thou the last part is easy fixed.
* Disclaimer: The person writing this has no idea what she is talking about.*

Image ImageImage
dackwards d

Postby dackwards d » 19 Oct 2011, 16:32

If I find you tolerable on sunday I could introduce you to my gaming group. I think the next tournament is in 2 weeks time, at the last one they had me playing on a seperate table with a premade army list so I could be taught the rules and get a little familiarity with the army. I'll warn you now though, while it's a lot of fun it can be expensive buying minis.

Probably won't happen though. I can already tell I'm not gonna like you.
ImageImage
Ahlir

Postby Ahlir » 19 Oct 2011, 16:55

Yeah see money is also a major problem. :(

Image ImageImage
dackwards d

Postby dackwards d » 19 Oct 2011, 17:08

You can always play with proxies as you slowly build up an army, which is what I'll be doing. The guys I game with have pretty extensive collections so even if they don't have what you want to try out they'll have the right sized model to stand in for it for a game. Anyway, if you want to give it a go the offer stands.

Also, it took me a while, but "Miniature Wargammers Assemble." I c wut u did thar.
ImageImage
Ahlir

Postby Ahlir » 19 Oct 2011, 18:34

I thought the offer will nill and void cause you don't plan on liking me :P. Talk more about it on Sunday. Might be interested in an observation session (ie me watching and getting the idea of the game).

Image ImageImage
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 19 Oct 2011, 23:54

im all about the malifaux these days
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
dackwards d

Postby dackwards d » 20 Oct 2011, 00:27

I've been looking into Malifaux actually, and I really like it. I did a trial game of it a while ago and had a lot of fun. The minis look really nice too.
ImageImage
Exachix
First Video: The Shavening

Postby Exachix » 20 Oct 2011, 01:51

I don't have any painted minis yet (wants mah Timberwolves), but I am probably going to be running or playing Battletech if I play miniature games in this day and age.
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 25 Oct 2011, 06:50

Interesting. I was expecting more people to be into this stuff... oh well :)

I used to dabble in Warhammer but I got annoyed with GW in general. I was pretty excited when Warmachine hit the scene being a fan of steam-punk. I have looked into Malifaux but it's over reliance on boobs turned me off significantly. I'll probably start a Hordes side at some point too. Likely a Circle of Orboros army.

Incidentally I finally finished my Cygnar battle group:

So now I have the basics to play with painted and I can get started on all the extra stuff.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 25 Oct 2011, 08:38

Are the highlights reflected light or have they been painted on?

aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 25 Oct 2011, 08:45

Reflected light. I'm just getting into some more advanced techniques. The shield on the Lancer has some blended shading and the metal parts of the Ironclad have a wash on them to make them look more 'used'. These are the first models I've ever officially completed so... baby steps.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 25 Oct 2011, 08:53

I just picked up a Space Marine Tactical Squad box yesterday, and since it's my first box, I wanted to know... What glue do you guys recommend? I really don't want to screw it up. Any advice for gluing and painting it would be greatly appreciated. Mostly gluing, prepping and doing base coats, because I've been watching tutorials and there are lots about how to do highlights, drybrush and wash, but I already know how to do that, I've just never done the first parts.

I'll be sure to post pictures when I'm done unless they look like crap :P
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 25 Oct 2011, 10:56

That's a lot of questions. Hopefully this isn't too long and it's useful.

Glue:

There's 2 types that you'll probably be able to use regardless of brand. Plastic Modeling Glue and Super Glue. Plastic glue actually sorta melts the surface so that it can bond with the other half. Super Glue itself hardens to create a bond and will leave a physical residue where it hardened. What you use is usually a matter of preference. Plastic glue bonds faster and much more permanently but is useless on metal. Super glue takes a while to bond and can potentially break with a careless drop but it's a bit forgiving and is versatile. Also worth noting is that if you ever strip a miniature (made a mistake or bought pre painted ones) super glue will likely dissolve with the solvent. There are any number of other epoxies and resins that can be used but those are the more common ones.

Prep:

First step which is usually missed in the excitement of new toys is the washing step. All miniatures usually have either a packaging or mould release product on them which makes it harder for paint and glue to stick on them. Wash plastic minis in warm (NOT HOT) water with dish soap and let them dry thoroughly before starting.

Second is assembly and I'm usually of 2 minds about this. Some people are all about the full assembly and then paint. Others are paint on the sprue or separately and then assemble. I go for the middle ground. Assemble most of the big parts, then add the bits that cover details after. The tricky part about that is that glues don't bond well with paint so you'll have to keep the glued part clear or score it with a hobby knife before gluing. Also never underestimate the power of a little bit of pinning. Even the small bits can benefit from a small pin. It'll hold things in place without glue and will give you extra hold later when you finally do glue things together.

Last is priming. I recommend that if you're going to prime in black or white and it is not the primary colour of your model then buy an actual acrylic primer and not just a can of spray colour. The difference is noticeable. The paint flows much better onto the primer than it does on a coat of paint. Otherwise I'd recommend looking at getting a spray can that closely matches the main colour of your model and using that. Nothing is more annoying than trying to get a massive even coat of uniform paint over a mismatched prime coat.

I also recommend getting a length of thick doweling rod and cutting stands out of it, about 6 inches each. Get some sticky tack putty and attach it to both sides. Now you have an end you can stick your model on when you spray on primer or varnish and it will stand on its own while it dries. Also use the sticky tack to cover spots that you don't want paint to go on for gluing. Just throw the painted tack away after. It's cheap and effective.
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 25 Oct 2011, 12:30

Lots of great advice, thanks :) I'll be looking for the proper glue, I do have some black primer already. Great advice for the rod thing, in the past it was a nightmare having to wait for pieces to dry between every small parts because I needed to hold it while painting, holding on to the rod instead will fix that (I've never painted miniatures, but I've made and painted chess pieces before).

For removing mold lines, I have a hobby knife, it's fine, right? I don't need a special material? (The miniatures are plastic)

I'll probably take lots of pictures of my first try and upload them so people can point out my (probably numerous) mistakes and I can do better on the next one. There are 10 miniatures in the box I bought so I'm hoping by the time I reach the last one I'll be doing a decent enough job that I won't be ashamed of them being seen in public :P
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 25 Oct 2011, 13:05

Hobby knife on flash for sure but be very carefull with the hobby knife on mould lines. It will cut them off but may cut the plastic far easier than you'd imagine. I'd get some very fine grade sand paper to work them down.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 25 Oct 2011, 13:52

It's probably a bit more expensive but I'd recommend GW's own glue and tools. That way you don't have to worry about whether it's suitable. It can get expensive though, especially with the amount of paint they give you.

When I'm putting them together I glue sections and paint them separately, for example for the troops I left the bolters off so I could get to the chest areas easily. I've got a battleforce and I plan to paint the assault troops and jetpacks separately. Mainly cos I'm terrible for getting paint on areas I don't want it so I'll do anything to make it easier.

Also I've discovered that a cocktail stick is good for doing thin highlights.

Only thing I haven't done so far is flesh paints, a) because I want to make the paint purchase worthwhile and b) I'm rubbish at flesh painting.

Here's the guide I used. I skipped the last couple of stages mainly cos I don't trust my hand to be steady enough to do teeny tiny little dots (hence the cocktail stick)

MetricFurlong
First Video: Phone Manner

Postby MetricFurlong » 26 Oct 2011, 15:06

dackwards d wrote:I've been looking into Malifaux actually, and I really like it. I did a trial game of it a while ago and had a lot of fun. The minis look really nice too.

It is pretty good, from what I've seen of it. The card-based mechanic is an interesting feature (as is the 'choose your own objectives' method of victory). There have been an awful lot of rule adjustments though (if you have an early print rulebook then it's basically useless by this point due to the amount of Errata), and I think they're up to two expansion books now. Given that the game's only been around for 3 years that's a pretty rapid rate of change, although one would imagine it'll slow down eventually, which can be a bit disconcerting for newcomers.

As downsides go though, it's not exactly a dealbreaker, and it has the further advantages of being fairly cheap and having good models and a decent aesthetic (no ridiculously over-sized pauldrons is a major plus in my book). Fluff is a bit of a mixed bag as the setting is interesting, but the actual writing quality is fairly low (the decision to render most of it as essentially a novella was, I believe, a mistake). Again, not necessarily a deal-breaker, especially is fluff isn't a major concern.
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 26 Oct 2011, 19:15

My painting was going well, until I added highlights and it started looking like crap. Now I'm sad :(
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 27 Oct 2011, 00:35

Press on with it and it'll most likely end up looking great. I have this phase where I look at them halfway through and I'm like "this is going to be rubbish", but by the end they don't look all that bad.

Also, use a cocktail stick or something pointy for the extreme highlights.

Ahlir

Postby Ahlir » 27 Oct 2011, 00:48

Well I think I might be able to con a friend into joining me in my role-playing adventures, so that's cool. Now we just need a group or something to help us get started.

Image ImageImage
dackwards d

Postby dackwards d » 27 Oct 2011, 01:10

Two of my friends and I play every weekend. I can ask them about it this sunday if you like and we can introduce you and your friend to a game next week/whenever. Where we play is really easy to get to from the train lines as well. We're used to having players dropping in and out - one of the guys that plays from time to time is only able to come down once every month or two, and there have been a few false starts with guys joining the group with no interest in the game, just one of the gamers (I won't say which, but its the one with ovaries).
ImageImage
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 27 Oct 2011, 01:12

Man, you guys are really good at painting these things.

Here's my efforts, which are not nearly so good.. The Knights of the Round Table, plus treasures, from Shadows Over Camelot. Sorry about the iPhone photo taking.

I'll see if I can't find a better camera to take a better shot.

Return to “Video Games”