Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Geoff_B » 13 Nov 2011, 15:07

I think the Doctor was messing about with the Tardis console trying to repair it and things went a bit timey-wimey
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 13 Nov 2011, 16:37

Day of the Daleks is the 3rd Doctor story where rebels and daleks are traveling back in time to try and sabotage a peace conference. It marks the first use of the Ogrons. It is also regarded as one of the dullest dalek stories.

It is the first story to feature the daleks in colour, and a gold dalek.

At the beginning of the story the Doctor is fiddling with the TARDIS, something goes fizz, and a second Doctor and Jo appear suddenly in the TARDIS and say something along the lines of "Don't worry, this will all sort itself out later." Then they forgot to film a payoff for it later in the story, so it was an erroneous paradox.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 14 Nov 2011, 00:14

In the novelisation of the episode they put the payoff in at the end and it was exactly what it sounds like - Doctor messing with the Tardis and causing a small paradox. I'd read the book before watching it and was mildly disappointed they didn't put that bit in.

tbug

Postby tbug » 14 Nov 2011, 16:20

Fezzul wrote:Day of the Daleks is the 3rd Doctor story where rebels and daleks are traveling back in time to try and sabotage a peace conference. It marks the first use of the Ogrons.

Okay, that's the one I thought it was. Thanks.

Fezzul wrote:At the beginning of the story the Doctor is fiddling with the TARDIS, something goes fizz, and a second Doctor and Jo appear suddenly in the TARDIS and say something along the lines of "Don't worry, this will all sort itself out later." Then they forgot to film a payoff for it later in the story, so it was an erroneous paradox.

Like in the Eureka pilot, then. Good to know we're still making this kind of mistake decades later. :{
Dale
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 15 Nov 2011, 05:24

New Doctor Who reboot as a film *shudders*...
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 15 Nov 2011, 05:42

Made in Hollywood *shudders even more*

PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 15 Nov 2011, 11:04

Geoff_B wrote:Also don't forget there's that gap between The God Complex and Closing Time (about 200 years I believe). I think a couple of series could safely be slotted in there.

You're forgetting Rule #1 (which I think quite possibly applies to this "gap" and the Doctor's stated age at the edge of Lake Silence) - The Doctor lies.

I'm tempted to wonder if The Question and The Answer will in fact be a part of a real Doctor & River wedding, seeing as telling someone your true name seems to be a part of the ceremony for Timelords.
WBAGNR
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby WBAGNR » 15 Nov 2011, 11:23

Didn't River whisper the Doctor's name in his ear in Silence in the Library?
iamafish wrote:copping a feel is just the gentlemanly thing to do

My travel blog
tbug

Postby tbug » 15 Nov 2011, 11:49

WBAGNR wrote:Didn't River whisper the Doctor's name in his ear in Silence in the Library?

Yes she did. We just don't know yet how she learned it.
Dale
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 15 Nov 2011, 12:10

tbug wrote:
WBAGNR wrote:Didn't River whisper the Doctor's name in his ear in Silence in the Library?

They never specifically said it was his name, but they did heavily imply it.
#TeamKroze
tbug

Postby tbug » 15 Nov 2011, 12:55

Digital Dolphin wrote:They never specifically said it was his name, but they did heavily imply it.

Really? I thought they did say it. My bad.
Dale
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 15 Nov 2011, 15:26

Geoff_B wrote:Made in Hollywood *shudders even more*

An article I read had the director wanting to 'start from scratch' with 'completely new material'.

I was...less than impressed
Keelah Se'lai
Fezzul

Postby Fezzul » 15 Nov 2011, 15:50

I think all speculation on plans for a Whovie (sounds like a furry vacuum cleaner) are just, well, speculation.
tbug

Postby tbug » 15 Nov 2011, 18:26

Digital Dolphin wrote:
tbug wrote:

They never specifically said it was his name, but they did heavily imply it.

Found it! It's right before River dies.

From Forest of the Dead:

River: You watch us run!

The Doctor: River, you know my name. You whispered my name in my ear. There's only one reason I would ever tell anyone my name. There's only one time I could.

River: Hush now. Spoilers.

River dies.
Dale
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 15 Nov 2011, 23:33

tbug wrote:Found it! It's right before River dies.

From Forest of the Dead:

The Doctor: River, you know my name. You whispered my name in my ear. There's only one reason I would ever tell anyone my name. There's only one time I could.

River dies.

Ack! Good find! I was SURE I remembered it being dodged around a lot... but I guess not!

Of course since that episode we've had the whole "time can be re-written" thing go down. Events that were fixed points are no longer set, and this may not happen like it did anymore.
#TeamKroze
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 16 Nov 2011, 00:36

I really hope that's true. It's been weird watching the whole River Song story arc knowing that she dies in her first appearance.

the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 16 Nov 2011, 05:37

Also like, 2 minutes after they meet she whispers something in his ear, to which donna says:
"What makes you trust her?"
"She told me my name."

Speaking of donna. Been re-watching s1-s4 because, eh i ran out of new tv shows and they only update once a week.
My god, s1 and 2 were so cheesy half the time, relying more on billie pippers being a hot blonde to distract the audience. and Martha is WAY more annoying than i remembered her to be.

And now, now i remember why i fell in love with the series. Still miss Rose, but just got through the first episode of s4. That sense of foreboding that starts with such a bang.
RTD may be king of the exhibition, but Rose and The Doctor, in the Tardis, as it was meant to be.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 16 Nov 2011, 15:34

tbug wrote:
Found it! It's right before River dies.

From Forest of the Dead:

River dies, sounds of much rejoicing.

Not that I'd ever say Dale is wrong but, FTFY.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

PlasmaCow

Postby PlasmaCow » 16 Nov 2011, 15:59

Geoff_B wrote:I really hope that's true. It's been weird watching the whole River Song story arc knowing that she dies in her first appearance.

That's sort of the whole point though - her knowing the Doctor far better than he knows her because their timelines didn't match up in order. I think it makes her much more interesting than being just another "occasional companion" like Capt. Jack was.

Remember Blink? Moffat did a much smaller paradox-time-out-of-order thing in that episode too, with the Doctor following instructions - given to him by someone he was yet to help save - on how to help them when the time came for him.

Me thinks Moffat likes messing with our heads.
tbug

Postby tbug » 16 Nov 2011, 17:59

PlasmaCow wrote:That's sort of the whole point though - her knowing the Doctor far better than he knows her because their timelines didn't match up in order. I think it makes her much more interesting than being just another "occasional companion" like Capt. Jack was.

Me thinks Moffat likes messing with our heads.

As well he should. It always seemed strange to me that the third Doctor and the (thirteenth?) Master would meet each other in the exact same order as each other, no matter when they were meeting. I was very happy when the latest Master was around and aware of the Doctor long before the reverse was true. It seemed so logical!

I think that the Doctor should be way more used to meeting people out of order (the way he did with River Song and Sally Sparrow and Melanie Bush) than he is, given the way he hops around in time. He always seems so perplexed. He just needs some sort of SOP for these situations.
Dale
Fezzul

Postby Fezzul » 16 Nov 2011, 18:50

I remember reading an article which posed the theory of 'Gallifrey Mean Time'. Which explained why the Doctor always met other Time Lords in proper chronological order. It basically stated that there is a kind of Standard Time Zone around Gallifrey. Meaning that you can never travel backwards or forward in Gallifrey's history, you always arrive there back after however long you've been away. The basic idea being that since Gallifrey is where the Vortex is controlled from, it is kind of outside the regular pattern of time travel.

The article went on to state how this kind of tied in to other TARDISes, so that, by way of some kind of knock-on effect, Time Lords generally met each other in the right order.

The article was a bit more detailed than I am remembering it.

Anyway, with the Time Lords gone a lot of those old rules stop applying... hence more timey-wimeyness in the New Series.
PlasmaCow

Postby PlasmaCow » 18 Nov 2011, 16:13

Christmas special trailer

Featuring heavy overtones of CS Lewis and Bill Bailey in storm trooper armour.

Should be good.
Drdiggit42
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Drdiggit42 » 03 Dec 2011, 19:37

So my dad has been a fan of Doctor Who since Tom Baker, but I didn't get into it till this past season(A decision I regret deeply). So I found out that amazon has all of Doctor Who online to watch streaming for amazon prime members AND that my mom has a free year of amazon prime from her kindle. Needless to say I have been occupied for a few hours. I'm starting with Eccleston and I'm hoping to get up to last season before the new season starts(Or should I savor it?).

So since I'm sorta new to this does anyone mind sharing who was doctor when they started watching, or which was the doctor that you first started watching?
All problems can be solved by trebuchets and/or fire.

When you're a pessimist there are only good surprises.

Steam ID - DrDiggit42(Currently: Indignity: ■■■■■) Add me if you like.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 03 Dec 2011, 20:08

When I first started watching, Tennant was doctor. But I didn't watch him. Oh, no. I watched Tom Baker. My first episode was under the purview of the late great Douglas Adams. It was a BBC America rerun of Destiny of the Daleks.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Postby WAYF » 03 Dec 2011, 22:04

PlasmaCow wrote:Christmas special trailer

Featuring heavy overtones of CS Lewis and Bill Bailey in storm trooper armour.

Should be good.

I must say, I really like the way Doctor Who has apparently started paying homage to classic stories for its Christmas Specials. First "A Christmas Carol", now "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe".

Now I'm already wondering what next year's will be an homage to! :P
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.

Return to “General Discussion”