Oops! We Did it Again!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Oops! We Did it Again!

Postby Elomin Sha » 18 Nov 2011, 06:21

Remember a certain neutrino experiment that broke the laws of physics? Well, they tried the experiment again changing a few elements and achieved the same results.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15791236
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Oops! We Did it Again!

Postby empath » 18 Nov 2011, 06:26

So we don't know as much about the nature of the universe as we thought we knew. Accept that and move on; maybe something has CHANGED, maybe our initial conclusions missed (or are still missing) something, or maybe some things we've concluded to be constant fluctuate, etc.

Oh well, more work ahead of us. It's not like this revelation is going to compromise people's safety, or undermine something like building methods or medical procedures; it's not going to kill anyone (yet), so I guess it's good we've noticed this NOW, eh?
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 18 Nov 2011, 06:30

I like to think there is a god in the universe that every time humans think they know something, he changes everything up.

They think the world's flat? Oops, it is, bam mutherf***ers, it's round now.

I also like to think of a god that is Samuel L. Jackson.
@mhasko
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 18 Nov 2011, 06:37

Please.

With something like this, unless they can replicate it a million times, it means nothing.

Science. It's arduous.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 18 Nov 2011, 06:37

Well, initially i thought it was great.
Then i talked about it and heard that maybe they just miscalculated the distance.
Then the thought occurred to me that for that to happen, all the other things they shoot around would have been showing up as wrong.

But, if this is indeed proven right, then i think we all know what this will lead to.

Next stop, DALEKS!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Drdiggit42
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Drdiggit42 » 18 Nov 2011, 06:58

When I first heard about this I assumed that the neutrinos were traveling a very small amount above the speed of light, but if the data the showed in the article is correct the neutrinos where traveling at 3.05 x 10^8 m/s which is 5,000,000 m/s faster than light. that seems pretty significant.
All problems can be solved by trebuchets and/or fire.

When you're a pessimist there are only good surprises.

Steam ID - DrDiggit42(Currently: Indignity: ■■■■■) Add me if you like.
JenSev
First Video: quantum documentary

Postby JenSev » 18 Nov 2011, 07:23

the_lone_bard wrote:Well, initially i thought it was great.
Then i talked about it and heard that maybe they just miscalculated the distance.

What did they miscalculate, did they forget that the neutrinos travel in a straight line, and they took the actual distance it would take to drive and didn't figure in the curvature of the earth?
The only ones that face reality are the ones too stupid to duck when they see it coming!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 18 Nov 2011, 07:34

Extraordinary findings require extraordinary evidence. I wish people would remember that.

But this is an interesting development.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 18 Nov 2011, 08:18

Yes, because people are not allowed conjecture in a message board. :P
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Nov 2011, 11:20

From what I understand, this time around they had shorter neutrino pulses, to correct for any error that may have occurred from timing the generation of neutrinos. From this latest batch of experiments, they have determined that neutrino generation was not a cause for error in the first batch. Presumably, after they've run a few more batches through (remember that the "first" experiment we heard about back in September were the final results of something around 15,000 different data points), they'll move on to the next possible variable.

JenSev wrote:What did they miscalculate, did they forget that the neutrinos travel in a straight line, and they took the actual distance it would take to drive and didn't figure in the curvature of the earth?

That would have produced a difference of far more than 18 meters (how far behind light would have being when the neutrinos were detected). The argument about miscalculating the distance lies in the GPS systems used. While they should have better accuracy than 18 meters, given the nature of the experiment, it's worth double-checking.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 19 Nov 2011, 05:13

They're still using the same timing equipment, so if that caused the error last time...
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 19 Nov 2011, 05:53

The first thing they tried was that maybe they were just measuring the wrong puls and bussed up the timing somewhere, meaning they were measuring one pulse too early. (During the first experiment neutrinos were fired in pulses very very shortly together. Making timing between stations very important. For the second experiment they stretched the pause between each pulse so they could be very sure which pulse they were measuring.

probably more experiments will follow to ensure propper calibration of the timing equipment.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 21 Nov 2011, 22:57

theDreamer wrote:Please.

With something like this, unless they can replicate it a million times, it means nothing.

Science. It's arduous.

Man, science is boring. When do we get to the part where they use a particle accelerator to make a really large explosion? I want to be there for that part. It'd be just like Transformers! Wow, that's the best idea! We should make science more like the Transformers movies!
Highlander
First Video: Mecha Jackson

Postby Highlander » 23 Nov 2011, 00:37

[quote="Tycherin Wow, that's the best idea! We should make science more like the Transformers movies![/quote]

Explosions, boobs and far too much focus on Shia leboef's charahter?
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 23 Nov 2011, 14:50

The distance isn't the biggest thing they could have miscalculated at this point, the method of measuring time they're using could also be way off.

Right now, they are narrowing down variables that could be responsible.

Remember: According to our current very-accurate model of physics, this is impossible, therefore we are doing everything we can to rule it out. If we can't find out what is causing the issue in our engineering, then it must be in the math and then we revise the model.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
rustak
First Video: Man Cooking - Swiss Meat Roll

Postby rustak » 22 Feb 2012, 13:22

Alas, this is looking like it's as Lying said -- the method of measuring time was off, according to http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsid ... aster.html . Still breaking news, so more details will be coming... but I'm not sure whether to be relieved or disappointed that the original finding is likely not going to stand :)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 22 Feb 2012, 13:47

Well that's unfortunate, but expected. Ah well, the hope was nice, if only for a short time. On the bright side, there's still plenty of other cool things out there to discover.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 22 Feb 2012, 13:50

I saw the Bad Astronomer post this on G+. It's certainly fascinating that something so mundane could throw the whole thing off.

But I think this whole example has proven why science is so great. A group of scientists found some results that disagreed with everything they had been taught about how the universe works. So they opened that up to the greater community for study, and then set about meticulously examining their methodology to make sure that they were right.

It was exciting to think Einstein might have been wrong after all these years, but frankly it's just as exciting to learn that he's still right.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 22 Feb 2012, 13:52

Breaking news: We got it wrong!
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 22 Feb 2012, 14:51

rustak wrote:Alas, this is looking like it's as Lying said -- the method of measuring time was off, according to http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsid ... aster.html . Still breaking news, so more details will be coming... but I'm not sure whether to be relieved or disappointed that the original finding is likely not going to stand :)

Man... I'd buy that if it were true. I know I've gotten some fucked-up results because of a loose data cable before. Like that my Cone mantel was hotter than the Sun.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 23 Feb 2012, 03:20

Which part of the Sun?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 23 Feb 2012, 04:42

Well, any part would have been too damn hot, but hotter than the surface, I think (middle school science don't fail me now). It wasn't reading in the millions.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.

Return to “General Discussion”