Ye Olde Official Skyrim Discussion Thread (Spoilers?)

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Re: Ye Olde Official Skyrim Discussion Thread (Spoilers?)

Postby the_lone_bard » 18 Nov 2011, 08:02

I can sneak up on anything now... No, seriously, my sneak is in the 90s and i basically went through a cave earlier where i was shooting the bandit dudes from 2 and a half feet away and being left un-detected...
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 18 Nov 2011, 12:37

Has anyone else been having this problem, or is it just me?

The game worked fine for the first few days on high settings but now it's lagging like crazy even on the lowest settings.

I've tried defragmenting everything but that didn't help. A friend of mine suggested that it may be because my save files are greater than 6 megs, but none of them are.

It started around the time that I tried to play it using my monitor because my laptop has a really terrible exhaust vent placement (opening the lid blocks the exhaust vent) but even when I attempt to play it without the monitor it lags. And this lag has been getting progressively worse over time.

Sorry to bother you guys, but anyone else have any other suggestions?

If not I might just have to wait until it's patched.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 18 Nov 2011, 12:48

I've been having some teething problems like textures suddenly dropping to way lower resolutions. Some shadows turn to pixels and sometimes the map is just a blur. It's becoming WAY more common as of late.

What about verifying the integrity of the cache through Steam?

But honestly, I'd stick with holding my breath for the big patch coming up. Bethesda is NOTORIOUS for that. WE are their beta testers. First month? Borderline unplayable. Second month? All fixed.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Bullzeye
First Video: Job Security

Postby Bullzeye » 18 Nov 2011, 14:44

I just witnessed one of the greatest things so far in the game. It's not a scripted thing so don't worry about spoilers. Basically, I just turned up at the mage college when fight music kicks in and a big nasty dragon plants itself on the wall. A frost dragon. I hate them to pieces, frost magic has killed me more than anything else. Instantly two mage dudes start tearing it apart before I even get a chance to think about fighting. They literally killed it in under a minute, I just stood and watched.

I think my guy ought to just take a break. Apparently the people of Skyrim can look after themselves.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 19 Nov 2011, 16:39

I'm finding myself torn between perks. I have high archery and sneak (so I have the standard archery perks and x3 sneak damage multiplier) but I also fancy speak craft for more munnies, lock picking/pick pocketing for sneakiness and less console cheating and armour blacksmithing to upgrade my gear.

Doesn't help that it takes years to level up. 50% progress tribute once a level is sweet but it takes ages the rest of the time. I don't want to level up trash skills just to ding, I do enough of that from reading expensive books on Bear Penis Transmutation.

I find with high levels with Elder Scrolls when it's evident you're coming to the end of your interesting character development that it evolves into a point click adventure game; I.E. press left button to kill this thing. Things don't always die that fast (press many left clicks) but, the shallowness of the game play does start to show. Not as bad as Oblivion though. It pretty much halted when your primary stats reached 100. You could also only level up by skilling your primary abilities.

I think I just need to slow down my Skyrimism. (Looking at some of the previous posts about armour crafting, is Skyrim pretty much trying to be Monster Hunter?)
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 19 Nov 2011, 23:56

There comes a point where you no longer need money for anything, so I'd not waste perks on speechcraft. Also, money is very easy to come by as you progress through the game and do a little of everything. 1000 for that quest, a 2000 gold piece of armour for that quest, it all adds up.

Blacksmithing is nice if you're looking to upgrade your weapons and armour. And at 100, you'll DEFINITELY see a huge difference. Problem is, you can either spend a lot of time finding the ores and bars or a lot of money buying them. But you do get some of it back by selling what you made back to the person you just bought bars from.

But for me, I've started to forget about the skills and just carry on with the main game. Skills just come naturally doing that. And money. So much money. But now there's nothing I need to buy.

Next quest: Find every dragon word!
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Nov 2011, 04:03

I find money is an issue (though I'm rocking 20k) because I find it very hard to sell everything to one vendor before they run out of cash. I had a few armour pieces from the darkbrotherhood that soldfor 700g each... yeah... that takes a lot of vendor trips to sell them off.

I wish it was easier to see the weight and value of each item in your bag (Oblivion had a data base layout, rather than a simple stock list). I wouldn't mind the weight issue if it was easier to work out what item to drop. I don't want to go down a list of every item waiting for an item that has a 5:1 weight:price ratio or less.
Spatial Coffee

Postby Spatial Coffee » 20 Nov 2011, 04:38

I've played for about 80 hours so far and I love this game to bits!
I especially like how smithing skill is now actual smithing rather than carrying dozens of hammers around to fix my cardboard equipment after every single clash.

I'm playing a redguard specialicing in one-handed swords in honor of my Oblivion Game Along character I had couple of years back. Though this one is simply a bit uncaring rather than completely psychotic.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 20 Nov 2011, 05:26

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I wish it was easier to see the weight and value of each item in your bag (Oblivion had a data base layout, rather than a simple stock list). I wouldn't mind the weight issue if it was easier to work out what item to drop. I don't want to go down a list of every item waiting for an item that has a 5:1 weight:price ratio or less.

I COMPLETELY agree with that. I've been checking daily for mods for this.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Nov 2011, 08:46

Just use the console command in illogical protest. "Yeah Bethesda your UI decision was shit in this circumstance so I'll cheat!"

I just do it because I'm against encumbrance/inventory space in general in less there's a compromise (Torchlight Kitty of Burden). Why must my collectomaniancy be punished? Particularly when I carry heavy Dwarven ingots around 'just in case' and a meadow of herbs.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 20 Nov 2011, 08:50

That's why my house in Whiterun was the best purchase I have ever made in regards to my blacksmithing.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 20 Nov 2011, 11:44

Yeah, it took me a while to work out that it was the meadow of herbs, lettuces and potatoes that was actually kicking me over my encumbrance limit, rather than having too much fancy weaponry and armour (I had been dutifully trying to avoid it by not harvesting every item dropped by enemies).

Then I discovered the pickpocket perk which gave an extra 100 weight to my pockets and was happy for a while!
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 20 Nov 2011, 12:16

HAve you tried looking for the Steed Stone.

IIRC, it gives you infinite carry.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Spatial Coffee

Postby Spatial Coffee » 20 Nov 2011, 14:34

Steed gives you extra 100 weight capacity and removes all the slowing effects caused by armour. It's by far the best starsign I've found.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 20 Nov 2011, 14:58

Spatial Coffee wrote:Steed gives you extra 100 weight capacity and removes all the slowing effects caused by armour. It's by far the best starsign I've found.

Well, I'm currently running the Lord (+50 armor, +25% magic resist), and previous I was running Atronach (+25% magic absorb, +50 magicka, -50% magicka regen).

Atronach + Nord frost resist + Heal = sad, sad frost dragons.
War Monkey782
First Video: The first Unskippable

Postby War Monkey782 » 20 Nov 2011, 22:31

The last 8 levels sure do take a while.
Witty and humorous signature here.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Nov 2011, 03:36

theDreamer wrote:HAve you tried looking for the Steed Stone.

IIRC, it gives you infinite carry.

I have and since I have 2500 carrying capacity due to console command, I don't need it :D
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 21 Nov 2011, 06:56

I really don't get cheating in games...

They put these limitations on for a reason in the first place.

I mean, sure, in some sandboxes like GTA or Destroy all Humans I've cheated, but it's never as satisfying as playing properly.

The few times I have cheated in games, I've stopped playing them because they become boring. Everything can be solved with "Kill" etc.

The game punishes you for having lots of stuff (you move slower and cannot fast travel), but it gives you tools for beating that (chests, smart choices, perks/potions/enchantments/steed stone). Why not just use them?
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Nov 2011, 09:57

It's an aspect of western RPGs that I strongly dislike. Besides, I cheated before I knew of the steed stone. It's too late to undo the console command in less I try a negative number... but, I may just break the game.

Least I haven't used god mode or infinite X. I'm just able to carry more than I'm meant to. It's the only console command I've used except for the unlock command when I've ran out of lock picks. I don't find going back to lock chests again a 'fun activity'.

Cheating is fine as long as it doesn't break the game. Getting pissed off at the weight of a meadow of plants before knowledge of resolving the issue or running out of lock picks is in the least harmful. I would never use the kill command. I would consider the resurrection command if my battle companion died, but I find as sniper I don't *need* one and I would have to use it often since they love eating my arrow shots.

Besides the game punishes you for having large bags. Since you pick up *everything* it's impossible to sell everything you've picked up to one city's worth of vendors. It's not like Oblivion where stores had infinite amount of gold to buy things off you but there was a maximum they'd be willing to pay. (WTS 150 crafted leather braces QQ).
Darknezz
First Video: Something on Unskippable, probably.

Postby Darknezz » 26 Nov 2011, 02:56

The Steed Stone actually just gives you +100 to Carry Capacity, as well as making you ignore movement speed penalties from armor. There's also a perk at the top of the Pickpocket tree that increases it by a further 100. Every time you level up, if you choose Stamina, you get +5 carry capacity.

The only time in the game I ever ran into a problem of carrying too much crap was when I first ran into a Dwemer ruin and remembered "OH I CAN MAKE DWARVEN METAL OUT OF THIS STUFF" and started picking up Dwemer plates and stuff. then I realized I already an inventory full of useless crap, and said, "Oh, I can just fast travel back here later if I need to, whatever."

After finishing the Mage's College stuff, I just keep all my junk there. I pretty much only carry around my main-hand weapon, my bow, shield, and two sets of Light armor (direct combat and sneaky-sneak sets). I like to pick up books and ingredients and all of that stuff as I go, and every once in a while, when I approach my 400+ weight limit (Steed stone and a bunch of Stamina levels), I just drop stuff off. I currently have 100 in Enchanting and Smithing, and I've been playing that way since I started.

Working on Alchemy so that I can make 900 damage weapons and armor that makes me invincible. I love Bethesda games.
Terminus
First Video: Unskippable ("Vanquish")

Postby Terminus » 26 Nov 2011, 15:48

I've found out what was bugging me about Skyrim. It's the old jack-of-all-trades problem: You can do everything, so nothing has any meaning.

Think I'll take a long pause and play some Batman Arkham City.
As Yahtzee said, there is no middle finger big enough.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 27 Nov 2011, 04:06

So I'm hammering through the main story now. Dark Brotherhood, I did a few quests of. It was SO boring and I kinda left it on a HUGE cliffhanger, where it finally starts getting good.

But lack of Dragonrend is enough to make me race through the main story. I am SO glad I took a few days to explore every main town by foot though. It made damn sure I was prepared for the huge amounts of traveling it requires.

I've also read a few books and have some HUGE theories and burning desires to find a certain location that I won't say here! Mainly because someone will try to be "helpful" and go "HERE IT IS!" Yeah. Thanks. That's exactly why I bought this game...
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 28 Nov 2011, 04:41

I'm currently joining the rebellion because I'm pissing about. Not in the mood to complete the main story yet.
Got 100 smithing so I'm a Were-wolf kitty in dragon armour. Leveling up enchanting so I can enchant stuff the best it could be...

Found an awesome suit of armour that deals damage in a close aoe, so I can stealth up to people and kill them whilst being afk. I sold it mind you because I enjoy headshotting people with arrows more.

I want SWTOR,I won't lie. I'm suffering from open-world fatigue. It's not as bad as Oblivion where I got 100 in my main stats and 100 in my desirable skills I really cba anymore.

Tempted to play the bound sword/staff build someone mentioned earlier, but that would be sometime next year when I'm 'up to it' and they added some suitable nudity mods (I'm a perve).

-----------------------------------------------------------

Fought two dragons at once. Would have been epic if it wasn't for it being in the middle of a town, a random cave bear tanking one dragon, and my horse the other... EZ kills lols. :(

--------------------------------------------------------------

Completed the main story. Now made a new character. Sword&board or conjure sword and staff. Haven't decided yet. Will use heavy armour. I just cba to play however. So bored :(
Reggie
First Video: The Amendment

Postby Reggie » 13 Dec 2011, 18:31

So far, Skyrim has been everything i wanted from it. Massive, gorgeous open world, absurd number of quests, improved leveling system and badass armour designs.

I'm playing as a heavy armour nord with a battle axe. the decapitation perk is hilarious fun as is forging. capturing castles in the rebellion questline is the most fun i've had in ages, as i can walk into a room with twenty imperials, kill them all and walk out again with more than half my health.

I haven't got the dragon armour perk yet, so i was wondering: Do you need dragon scales and bones to make armour? It seems like a logical connection but i've never been that good at video game logic.
He hoped and prayed there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here, and merely hoped there wasn't an afterlife.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 13 Dec 2011, 18:47

Dragon scales and bones for heavy, dragon scales and leather for light. But if you're going heavy, Daedric is a superior heavy armour if you manage to get enough ebony and hearts.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.

Return to “Video Games”