I blame LRR

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
[The]Rock
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

I blame LRR

Postby [The]Rock » 23 Nov 2011, 04:57

If this is a copy paste, then don't all harp on about it.

Anyhow, I would like to both blame and thank the LRR crew for getting me back into Magic: The Gathering. I am now quite obsessed with the game, and have addicted three of my friends to the game.
I came, I saw, I got bored, I left...

Keep Rockin' (no pun intended)

[The]Rock
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Re: I blame LRR

Postby Elomin Sha » 23 Nov 2011, 05:32

Exact same thing happen with LRR.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
[The]Rock

Postby [The]Rock » 23 Nov 2011, 06:09

Elomin Sha wrote:Exact same thing happen with LRR.

What?

[The]Rock
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 23 Nov 2011, 08:45

They hadn't played MtG for a while then at PAX a year ago they were given free cards along with other PAX goers and they got back into it. The year before that they actual chastised Morgan for playing Magic.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 23 Nov 2011, 09:01

Same here, I had a friend who had two decks and was trying to get our social circle to play too, but it wasn't until LRR started making the Magic videos that we all started. Now, between the five of us we've spent hundreds of dollars. I can see why WoTC likes LRR so much :P
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
DewKnight
First Video: Stalking

Postby DewKnight » 23 Nov 2011, 10:16

I've been doing all that I can to not get back into it. I played some in high school, but I fear that if I start now I will get far too involved. I don't have the time for that!
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 23 Nov 2011, 10:45

I had never played it despite (or due to) having two brothers who played it from the time it first came out.
They got me into it and today I got up early so that tonight I might join a draft and then go home.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 23 Nov 2011, 13:43

Jamfalcon wrote:Same here, I had a friend who had two decks and was trying to get our social circle to play too, but it wasn't until LRR started making the Magic videos that we all started. Now, between the five of us we've spent hundreds of dollars. I can see why WoTC likes LRR so much :P

youre doing it wrong alone ive spent eaily 2k
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
[The]Rock

Postby [The]Rock » 23 Nov 2011, 14:47

Trymantha wrote:youre doing it wrong alone ive spent eaily 2k
Woah, dude, that's crazy. Well, at least we can find solace in the fact that at least it's not Yu-Gi-Oh.
Elomin Sha wrote:They hadn't played MtG for a while then at PAX a year ago they were given free cards along with other PAX goers and they got back into it. The year before that they actual chastised Morgan for playing Magic.

I know, dude. I wouldn't have made this thread if I didn't.

[The]Rock
Wolfwood723
First Video: Poker Before Dusk

Postby Wolfwood723 » 25 Nov 2011, 07:55

I too have LRR to blame for me getting back into it and poisoning my friends.
ObiWan Canadian on twitch and XBL
SPACExJUMPxJOSH
First Video: loading ready rap

Postby SPACExJUMPxJOSH » 25 Nov 2011, 09:08

I got a deck when lrr told me to last year but I cant get my mates into it, so I just play on the steam games ^_^
I AM LRR! RULER OF THE PLANET OMACRON PERCEI 8!
Zethyr
First Video: It's All in Your Head

Postby Zethyr » 25 Nov 2011, 15:11

My friends got me back into Magic a little while ago, but it was around awhile after LRR did. If LRR ever does a fan tournament, I'd be on the ferry to Victoria with my pals immediately.
GaProgMan
First Video: 1337 - 64K

Postby GaProgMan » 26 Nov 2011, 12:05

I've never had a go at MtG, it looks quite complicated. Plus, it's a HUGE cash drop to get started (but I suppose that most hobbies are that way - says the guy who owns THREE bass guitars).

I do find it difficult to get some of the MtG references in the vids, but that's becoming easier for me.
Avatar image is part of Vanilla Jester's Draw-A-Thing series on LRR forumers
taza

Postby taza » 26 Nov 2011, 13:08

To be fair, the cash drop is just an Event Deck and a Deck Builder's Toolkit to get started.

The boosters will drain your soul and wallet, however.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 26 Nov 2011, 14:10

I decided to rebuild my old Ninja deck due to the drugdealers that are LRR.

Now I have four decks, most of them with sideboards, and I design them on a complex spreadsheet.
  • Suddenly, Ninjas
    • Legacy or Vintage
    • U/B Ninja control (convertible into token rush/lifegain with the sideboard)
  • Myr Engine V8
    • Legacy or Vintage
    • R/U Myr combo (largely artifact toolkit with the sideboard)
  • Amnesiac Science
    • Standard
    • U mill (self or opponent with the sideboard)
  • The Steacy Special
    • Standard
    • R Goblin Kuldotha rush

Thanks for trashing my university budget plan dudes.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
DuelLadyS
First Video: Unskippable

Postby DuelLadyS » 26 Nov 2011, 22:59

My sister's boyfriend got her into magic, and she wanted me to play.
I resisted.
LRR made their first Magic videos.
I resisted.
We went to PAX and I got some promo cards from them.
I resisted, but knew my time was coming.
Then my fiance bought a bunch of cards and made me a deck.
Now I have four. Six once my singles from troll and toad come in.
I knew this would happen...

GaProgMan wrote:I've never had a go at MtG, it looks quite complicated. Plus, it's a HUGE cash drop to get started...

Not really. A starter deck comes with a booster and only runs you $15ish, that's enough to start playing. If you don't care about tournaments, lots of places offer big boxes of 1000/2000 cards for $20ish. It only gets really pricey if you get hooked. :wink:
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 26 Nov 2011, 23:07

Especially compared to some other card games like Yugioh I've played for years. Its really expensive compared to MtG. card per dollar is great. A starter box with 9 boosters and some lands with basic starter deck is like 35 bucks for 265 cards.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
taza

Postby taza » 27 Nov 2011, 04:13

DuelLadyS wrote:
GaProgMan wrote:I've never had a go at MtG, it looks quite complicated. Plus, it's a HUGE cash drop to get started...

Not really. A starter deck comes with a booster and only runs you $15ish, that's enough to start playing. If you don't care about tournaments, lots of places offer big boxes of 1000/2000 cards for $20ish. It only gets really pricey if you get hooked. :wink:

Starter decks aren't really worth buying, though. The event decks cost twice as much as Starter decks and are much, much better.
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 27 Nov 2011, 05:41

taza wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:

Starter decks aren't really worth buying, though. The event decks cost twice as much as Starter decks and are much, much better.

I agree and disagree. Starter decks are, as the name suggests, great for starting. 6 choices per set means that at any one time something should suit you. They tend to be reasonably simple to use, which is good for beginners. As you become more familiar with the game and incrase your card collection you learn which cards are effective and which aren't, fine tuning your deck as you learn the game. Ideally the deck improves as you do. Beginners should be more concerned with learning and enjoying the game, not needing top-tier competitiveness. The Event decks are certainly far superior decks before anything is added but you only usually have the choice of 2 and the increased price is offputting to a beginner.

Personally I enjoy buying Starter decks, finding their strengths and weaknesses and finetuning them. Even if I don't like the deck or can't find a way to make it competitive (or more often competitive and fun) they always have some good cards in them, and the included booster is gravy.
ImageImage
[The]Rock

Postby [The]Rock » 28 Nov 2011, 02:31

I find that I can thrash my buddy's G/B infect deck with my U counter-spell based and my W/B "rape-in-a-jar" but he kills my R/G stompy one. Then with his B/R burn he thrashes everything except the R/G. The sheer amount of deck builds makes M:TG more strategic than Yu-Gi-Oh by leaps and bounds.

I used to play Yu-Gi-Oh, then I found that it was less about skill, more about the most powerful card wiping the floor with the weaker ones. The colour-based (proper english, woo) system of play is far superior.

[The]Rock
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 29 Nov 2011, 17:48

I recently bought 4 more boosters, including 2012 Core boosters and a New Phyrexia booster. I just need to find the rest of my card sleeves and finish putting the cards in. I also will need a better box for the collection that I have. I have what I call the "foothills" deck, as it is mostly Mountains and Plains based, but I have a few more that I want to add in and swap out.

I also need a place to play so I can practice before East, just so I don't look like a complete noob again.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 29 Nov 2011, 18:00

My brother has just started getting into Magic, which I think might just be the tipping point for me...
falconknight06

Postby falconknight06 » 29 Nov 2011, 19:00

I had never played, but when Jer said he got into it because it seemed like D&D with cards, I decided to try it, one year and about a week ago. I'm loving it so far
Actually 3 falcons in a trench coat
[The]Rock

Postby [The]Rock » 20 Dec 2011, 06:41

falconknight06 wrote:I had never played, but when Jer said he got into it because it seemed like D&D with cards, I decided to try it, one year and about a week ago. I'm loving it so far
It's D&D mixed with Chess, but still, CARDS!!

[The]Rock

Return to “General Discussion”