Occupy Wallstreet

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Re: Occupy Wallstreet

Postby JackSlack » 05 Dec 2011, 14:56

Yeah, even I've given up on #OWS at this point. Goddammit, guys. This is why we can't have nice movements.
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 05 Dec 2011, 15:33

Yeah, Occupy Plymouth is on its last legs, they had to get rid of their Caravan and a few of the tents, you could probably count the members on two hands. And they failed to apostrophise a word.
War Monkey782
First Video: The first Unskippable

Postby War Monkey782 » 05 Dec 2011, 15:42

I've given up on OWS just like I have on the paper I was writing about it.
Witty and humorous signature here.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 05 Dec 2011, 19:33

Tycherin wrote:

More evidence of corporate- wait, no, let me try that again. Damn Occupiers, they should get a... No, that isn't right, uh... Speak out against political... corruption... or something? What?

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about that article.

You feel an ear to ear grin.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 06 Dec 2011, 00:35

No, THIS is how you feel about it: :|
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 06 Dec 2011, 11:10

It's kind of an example of what is wrong with the system: luck, not hardwork, wins.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
MarkVI
First Video: iPhone Alternative

Postby MarkVI » 06 Dec 2011, 22:28

The only power any of us regular, non-filthy rich people really has is to vote. Unfortunately, these days very few of the politicians are actually faithful to the people, democrat or republican. If anything is going to change, we need to eliminate the incredible influence the wealthiest individuals and corporations have on politics. Unfortunately, it's hard to imagine that happening any time soon. And in some sense the only power the OWS movement has is to try to wake people up about the issues so that maybe we can unify.

What really pisses me off is the fact that so many people are still voting for politicians who support financial policy which overwhelmingly benefits the top 1% and does shit all for the middle class (read: tax cuts). And they do this amidst the vast amount of information and evidence that shows they're shooting themselves in the foot. The wealth gap is the highest it has ever been since the great depression and it will continue to worsen unless something significant changes about the system. The average income for middle class has increased by a pittance in comparison to that for the top earners. There is much data out there to support my qualitative claims, though I think most people agree already anyway. Even if they somehow become a millionaire one day, they'd still be making a pittance relative to the super rich (which practically no one has a chance of becoming) nowadays.

Oh capitalism how I wish there was a conscience in thee.
DancingFox
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby DancingFox » 06 Dec 2011, 22:53

Note: this comment coming from somebody with little to no idea what he is talking about.

That article seems quite reasonable to me. Structures and systems like financial analysis and investment will exist, and that's not vicious and wrong. The problem is on a different level, regarding corruption and abuse at the upper echelons of such a system. Heck, I don't see why she couldn't take the job, and still fully attend and support Occupy protests. Doesn't seem to me like there's anything wrong with it. It's not like every person who is working in any finance-related position is evil.
Tales from the Menagerie! New fiction magazine looking for submissions of all sorts!
http://www.talesfromthemenagerie.com/
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 15 Dec 2011, 08:33

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/police-include ... -list.html
City of London Police have sparked controversy by producing a brief in which the Occupy London movement is listed under domestic terrorism/extremism threats to City businesses.

The document was given to protesters at their “Bank of Ideas” base on Sun Street – a former site of financial corporation UBS. City police have stepped up an effort to quell the movement since they occupied the building on 18 November, with the document stating: “It is likely that activists aspire to identify other locations to occupy, especially those they identify with capitalism.

“Intelligence suggests that urban explorers are holding a discussion at the Sun Street squat. This may lead to an increase in urban exploration activity at abandoned or high profile sites in the capital.” The Occupy movement is listed alongside threats posed by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Columbia (FARC), Al Qaeda and Belarusian terrorists.

Wow, thats a little extreme now isn't it? To protest is to be along side al qaeda. That's not something you want to be known for
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 15 Dec 2011, 08:58

DancingFox wrote:Note: this comment coming from somebody with little to no idea what he is talking about.

That article seems quite reasonable to me. Structures and systems like financial analysis and investment will exist, and that's not vicious and wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqEcLlp_Big

The problem is on a different level, regarding corruption and abuse at the upper echelons of such a system. Heck, I don't see why she couldn't take the job, and still fully attend and support Occupy protests. Doesn't seem to me like there's anything wrong with it. It's not like every person who is working in any finance-related position is evil.

Nothing really wrong with hypocrisy, no. It's just a little bit ironic, to say the least. Hence: an ear to ear grin.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 08 Jan 2012, 15:42

No, there isn't anything wrong with hypocrisy at all...

Return to “General Discussion”