The 'Guild Wars' & 'Guild Wars 2' Thread.

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Fenrir
First Video: LRRcast for Interrupted Garage

The 'Guild Wars' & 'Guild Wars 2' Thread.

Postby Fenrir » 13 Dec 2011, 03:43

Cus there was bound to be one eventually and I figure I might as well be the one to start it ....

Right, so - while my broadband is (once again) out of action (I'm presently using a net dongle - w00t!) I decided to return to playing Guild Wars for the time being and was wondering if anyone out there in LRRLand played at all.

I've played on and off for some six years now and have reached a point where all I really have left to do is grind for titles (can anyone say 'Vanquisher of <insertcontinent name>'?) but still find the game enjoyable enough despite the fact that a lot of the people I previously gamed with have stopped playing while they wait for the release of Guild Wars 2. Plus with the addition of the 'Guild Wars Beyond' content there are still, at least, some PvE activities to keep people amused.

Also (as the title suggests) I was wondering what peoples views on the upcoming 'Guild Wars 2' were. Any particular thoughts on their (kinda obvious) attempts to go blow-to-blow with games like World of Warcraft (there, I said it - so sue me)?

To all the World of Warcraft fans: I've come across enough of you to know that a lot of you likely have strong opinions on 'Guild Wars' but please, keep the trollin' to yourselves. :)
"Sing something new, I have nothing left. I can't face the dark without you."

: Fenrir - DB IRC : LRRFenrir - TwitchTV : @the_dismuke - Twitter :

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Re: The 'Guild Wars' & 'Guild Wars 2' Thread.

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Dec 2011, 05:11

I stopped playing Guild Wars as my casual MMO because many people have vanished. My favorate game mode Faction Battles, not enough people play them so... yeah. Can't be bothered. I only did PvE for the story and sake of completionism. However I never really had a guild so I had to do a lot of the content with PuGs or solo play. Eyeof the North was amazing for solo play because they added ress shrines in missions. However some missions were impossible to complete solo (the killing HUGE ARSE WORM one with explosive kegs). That's Guild Wars' problem, it had 4 campaigns whilst its playerbase didn't really increase that much,so the player base was spread thin. Does frustrait me that there will be some bonuses I won't be able to achieve in Guild Wars 2 based on 1's progress due to how challenging it was to actually find a guild and do shit.

I'm extremely excited for GW2, more so than SWTOR. I enjoy games where character builds have many options. I enjoy in-game 'theorycraft' where you try and invent new and inventive character builds. Guild Wars 1 had that with dual class system; Guild Wars 2 will have it with weapon use. I'm intrigued to find out what a melee elementalist or archery necromancer will be like.
Fenrir

Postby Fenrir » 13 Dec 2011, 05:40

When did you stop playing Guild Wars exactly? Because they've added some updates in recent months that've made it a LOT easier for people who prefer to play solo - mainly the introduction of eight hero parties. I do PvP from time to time - mostly Jade Quarry though - but I find it easier to get a party for it if you play in the American districts.

Yeah - I definitely like the way they're heading with Guild Wars 2. I'm something of a writer/roleplayer so I'm *all* about the lore and locations, and from what I've seen I won't be disappointed. I kind of wonder how they'll deal with actually battling the Dragons and I can't wait to see Cantha and Elona!

RAIC
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby RAIC » 13 Dec 2011, 05:42

Yeah I was thinking about starting a GW thread, since I was missing it. I am also more excited for GW2 than SWTOR. Like waaaay more exited. I stood in line at GamesCon (in Köln, Germany) for 3,5 hours to play a demo. Lemme tell you, it was worth it. It's seriously amazing.

Also, today a video "leaked" (I suspect it was intentional though). The last to-be-announced profession was: Mesmer!
Ok, everyone saw that one coming from a mile away. The official site was going to announce it tomorrow, but the vid was "leaked" today. Which I don't think is much of a leak and probably intended, to gain some attention.
Anyway here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Bw9fA9Lt4
tak197 wrote:Guys! A Good Looking Ginger DUDE! We have the internet equivalent of a unicorn in our presence.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Dec 2011, 05:43

Two months? I stopped playing because there was nothing else I could do Solo play (aside from making new PvE characters Z z z z).
I stuck with EoN campaign and The Nightfall Campaign.
Completed Prophecies and Factions however.
I would try very hard to get a full human group but there's not enough people and people are antisocial bastards who'd rather solo and smack their heads against the wall.
I could complete Nightfall solo if they added Ress points like they did in EoN. However where I'm stuck in EoN it's impossible for me to complete. I play an elementalist and I must pick up an explosive keg and plonk it 3 times at a giant worm. However holding the kegs pulls agro. Also, you have a time limit to place it.Once you blow it up 3 times, you must nuke the worm and then rinse and repeat. Unfortunately worm has passive health regen like all bosses (to prevent kiting?). When the worm can be hurt my party is mostly dead and can't do shit. Due to the ress shrine and death penalty, everytime I try again I die 15% sooner. In till getting hit by the worm's abilties is a 1 shot kill. Very depressing. Would help if I grouped with a human being.
Fenrir

Postby Fenrir » 13 Dec 2011, 05:51

@ RAIC - Yeaaaaaah, I think if they *hadn't* made mesmer their final profession then there would have been one hell of a shit storm. Plus, when you go as far as making the Queen of Kryta a friggin' mesmer I *think* it's kinda a given that it would be included.

Also, you lucky sod! I didn't get the chance to play the demo but I've heard nothing but good things from those who have. I'm kinda glad they're trying to incorperate some elements from Aion into it.

@ MMM (can't be arsed to type it all out!) - perhaps poke your head in-game and see if it's any easier with an eight hero party? I tend to solo a lot myself and I can do the majority of Eye of the North and Nightfall by myself with an eight hero party (though there are some missions where you REALLY do need another set of hands). I'm always game for trying to help folks though - even if it's just by offering some hero builds.

Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 13 Dec 2011, 08:18

I was in the BETA of Guild Wars 1. MANY years back. I made a necromancer to start with. A class that was an entirely new concept to me but quickly changed to mage.

My characters aren't as old as the game itself though. First made a warrior, didn't like him, deleted him so I could give the name to my mage, Factions came out, wanted a new mage, deleted him so I could make a new mage with a new hairstyle, HATED it after a while, deleted him so I could get my old mage back... It was a rollercoaster of perfection!

I quit about a year ago. Never did the new PvE events with the White Mantle vs the rebellion. My friend did but it just never interested me. At that point, the game was dead for me. I had done pretty much every dungeon, every mission and then did it hard mode. All solo.

Made it a heaven that we got 8 heroes. I remember using Hench through Thunderhead Keep! People were TERRIBLE at the game. So I thought "Why wait for bad people and half an hour for a monk when I can just get some hench and do it right?" Been like that since the dawn of the game.

Funny thing is, Guild Wars 2 was announced for 2008. Then 2009. Then late 2010! Now early 2012... But I'm really looking forward to it. Its slogan being "Like WoW, but better!" pretty much gives me hope. I love open worlds and exploring. I love how they're going to make world calamities like dragons attacking villages and the world has to unite to stop them. And what an overhaul on the graphics!

I've been looking forward to this for years and I got my girlfriend interested too! I'll have a large guild with all my friends but I'll probably only be playing with her. I will be her Guardian in the new world!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Fenrir

Postby Fenrir » 13 Dec 2011, 13:07

Yeah, that was the big issue I had when I tried grouping up with people. At least people I didn't know to some extent. They were either god awful or insisted on your using particular builds. Don't even get me started on how long it used to take just to find a damn monk! That's why now I either stick to grouping up with people I know or just soloing it with heroes.

To be honest I'm of the mind that I don't care *when* it comes out, so long as it does and it's done *right*, y'know? I'd rather they took their time as opposed to making it a rush job. I really like the way they seem to be going with the events etc. Makes it that much more immersive in my opinion. I'm going to geek out BIG time just exploring again!

Haha, aww. That's kinda sweet. Professions wise I'll likely try out my own personal triad (assassin, ranger and elementalist) along with necromancer, engineer and guardian. I'll also likely end up with a character from each race.

Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 13 Dec 2011, 19:24

RAIC wrote:Also, today a video "leaked" (I suspect it was intentional though). The last to-be-announced profession was: Mesmer!

...and thank Dwayna for that. If they had ditched the mesmers for some reason I was going to be hard pressed to choose a class for my first character in GW2.

I have a love/apathy relationship with Guild Wars. It was my first true MMO and I tend to come back to it for month-long blocks at at time on a semi regular basis. At last check I had completed all of the campaigns save for Nightfall and was stalled on some of the new "War in Kryta" PvE content.

I've been in more guilds than I can count. All Kurzick. Several of them part of very powerful and high-ranking alliances. Most not. In just about all of them I made officer thanks to just generally being competent and helpful. Hell, my one legitimate writing credit for The Escapist can be laid at the feet of this game thanks to an interview conducted in-game with one of the guilds I met. With all that said, I can't count a single friend I have in that game world, which is why I always keep drifting out.

An MMO is an awfully hard game to be a lone wolf in, given how so very much of it's nature is based on the social aspect. Granted, thanks to one of the recent updates you can fill out your party entirely with the customizable Heroes, meaning that I always have my "team" at hand, but it isn't quite the same.

If some of you are jumping back in I'd be compelled to drift back into this world again. Guild Wars is always installed, just often neglected and ignored.

~V

EDIT: I jumped back in GW long enough to both leave my "current" guild, which was long since dead anyway, but mainly grab this:

Meet Selene Enyo of Ascalon. Survivor of The Searing, member of Rurik's Vanguard, Hero of Tyria and Cantha, Adventurer of the North, and I'm sure a bearer of countless other superfluous titles that she's managed to pick up during the course of going through four campaigns in this game. She's a Necromancer with a preferred secondary of Mesmer and was the third character I ever made (and now the oldest on my account and my "main").

Thanks to the amount of time I've spent with this character Selene has not only became the "matriarch" of sorts of my GW account, with all other characters save one bearing the last name "Enyo", but she's been the basis for countless other characters I've created in RPGs to this day.

... and it never hurts to have an excuse to go back and visit her again.
ImageImageImageImage
Fenrir

Postby Fenrir » 14 Dec 2011, 00:53

Honestly, given the fact they made Queen Jennah a mesmer (as part of cannon) for Guild Wars 2 I would have been veeeeeeeery surprised if they'd not included it as a profession. I'll likely end up starting as an elementalist or thief (I tend to go with a 'go with what I know first and then branch out from there' approach).

Heh, kind of sounds like me. I'd played Diablo II previously but Guild Wars was my first proper MMO. I've been in several guilds in my time too - met some interesting people though most of them have since stopped playing which has made me drift away from the game a bit but I will go back even if only to try to do some of the bits I have remaining.

The matriarch of my account, so to speak, would be my elementalist - Kiyoshi - though my current "main" is my assassin - Will. Guild Wars is actually responsible for a large amount of the writing I've done in recent years and through the characters I've made in-game I've kind of created this cast of original characters that could be transplanted to different "worlds". Hence my desire to write some original work involving them.

Y'know...the name Selene Enyo looks kinda familiar. What Guilds were you in?

EDIT: And this'd be my assassin, Will.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » 14 Dec 2011, 06:27

Ugh, I couldn't even tell you the names of any beyond the most recent one (The Forsaken Council). They were all so long ago that I've just flat-out forgot.
ImageImageImageImage
RAIC

Postby RAIC » 14 Dec 2011, 07:52

And the Mesmer is revealed on the official site: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/
Even if you've seen the vid, check it out, I lol'd so hard at the homepage.
tak197 wrote:Guys! A Good Looking Ginger DUDE! We have the internet equivalent of a unicorn in our presence.
Fenrir

Postby Fenrir » 14 Dec 2011, 09:26

@ Vanguard: Were any of them RP guilds? Cus I swear I've seen that name before....
@ RAIC: I'm glad they've *finally* admitted that mesmer was the last profession! I laughed my ass off at the homepage though. Took me a minute to realize what they'd done XD

Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 14 Dec 2011, 10:40

Couldn't find one with my hat off but I like this one!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Fenrir

Postby Fenrir » 14 Dec 2011, 10:53

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » 14 Dec 2011, 13:49

I don't think so. The armor is the wrong color, no glacier gauntlets, etc

Also, RP guilds? Not that I recall, but just because I don't remember that doesn't mean anything.
ImageImageImageImage
Fenrir

Postby Fenrir » 14 Dec 2011, 14:05

Hmm...perhaps.

Also, fair enough XD Just thought I recognized the character name.

Finally got off my ass and got back to working on my 'Vanquisher' title in Cantha. I'd forgotten how long clearing some areas could take. I'm dreading trying Tyria - especially the Southern Shiverpeaks. x.x

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » 14 Dec 2011, 14:13

All you need is to say the word and I'd be willing to lend a hand.
ImageImageImageImage
Fenrir

Postby Fenrir » 14 Dec 2011, 14:16

Well, you're welcome to add me in-game the next time you happen to stick your head in. My main is named Will Dismuke. For the most part I prefer to do Vanquishes alone anyway - means I can take my time with them but it's always good to know I can call on some assistance should it be required.

Plus, at the minute I've only really returned to playing Guild Wars more because my proper net connection is down and I'm running on a dongle. Otherwise I'd been playing WoW with a friend recently for a change of pace.

RAIC

Postby RAIC » 14 Dec 2011, 16:40

My pc is broken at the moment, I only have my macbook pro, so no gw for me right now. I'd like to join in when I have a pc available though. My main is Shakkad the Wise, a R/E.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Dec 2011, 12:24

@Fenrir thank you for your offer of assistance, but I've sadly started playing SWTOR and I have given up on Guild Wars :) Completion of the PvE content doesn't matter as much as it used to.

I'm Luxon. So Luxon that I got the Premium Luxon armour for my Elementalist. None of the armour in Guild wars I particularly liked so I went for stats alone. With that in mind,you pretty much stuck with the full standard armour as the different armours only offered aesthetics. I went for Luxon to show my support. I also thought the head piece was *amazing*. A halo of two flames.
Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » 15 Dec 2011, 15:09

As of yesterday I finally dropped the money to finally get the last two pieces of my Elite Kurzick armor (which looks amazing on a Necro, by the way). That's one less thing to mark off of my fairly large list of things to finish in GW.

As far as that "list":

• Finish Nightfall
  • Finish outfitting Heroes in Hero Armor
  • Go to Sorrow's Furnace and hatch my Black Moa Chick. Also, finish Sorrow's Furnace
  • Raise my Sunspear, Lightbringer, Norn, Asuran, Deldrimor, and Ebon Vanguard faction
  • Craft Vabbian armor
  • Complete the Underworld

A note on the Underworld: I've gotten close. I've been to the Fissure and I've conquered it. More than once, even, but the Underworld is a whole nother story. I've been damn close within the last couple months, and perhaps I should have gotten around to it far earlier, but since Dhumm has been added to the Underworld chain of quests I haven't been able to beat them.

Before GW2 comes out I will cave in Dhumm's skull with the butt of my staff. This is going to happen. It's only a matter of when.
Last edited by Vanguard on 16 Dec 2011, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Fenrir

Postby Fenrir » 16 Dec 2011, 00:36

@ Merry - A'righty then. :) Well, offer shall stand should you change your mind. I'm a Luxon too but only really liked the Elite for Assassin and Elementalist XD There's something kinda amusing about wearing it when I PvP on the Kurzick side though....*cough* >.>

@ Vanguard: Congrats! The only real armour set I have left to get is Obsidian. I've just never had the motivation to actually try and get all the materials for it. Plus I can't decide which profession it looks best on.

The first two things on your list are easy enough (the Eye of the North heroes might be a bit of a problem). I've done Sorrow's Furnace before but you definitely can't do it in on sitting unless you've got a good few hours to kill. With the Eye of the North titles I found it was easier to fill a couple of Hard Mode books and then trade those in. Though you could also do vanquishes for it too.

Haha, I've gotten close with the Underworld too. With just heroes too. I've done the Fissure a few times with various people but the problem with the Underworld is you've got to be careful not to over-aggro. How'd you do it? I cleared it out for the most part first and then worked through the quests.

I still need to finish doing the Domain of Anguish on my ritualist too.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » 16 Dec 2011, 06:22

Actually, because you bring it up, I'm completely done with getting armor for EotN Heroes save for Jora, but that's a problem that can be fixed in all of five minutes just scanning the market. No, most of my Nightfall Heroes need armor and I can't get it for them yet as a consequence of being stalled at the Gates of Desolation.

Oh boy, the Underworld... that was a very large, intricate undertaking by members of my last guild/alliance.

The party composition was something like this; we had two sins running builds designed to let them pull aggo and have the enemies" ball" up on them while they weren't taking damage. I forget exactly what skills they were using, but they were able to avoid taking damage during the ball as long as they kept their enchantments up.

I was running a build focused around Spiteful Spirit that, when used, started causing rapid damage across all enemies in the ball whenever they attacked. Besides myself there was also my Gwen that was set up as pure interrupter in place of a human Mes, a Ranger who was a trapper, a Ritualist that would throw up walls of spirits, and a Hero Monk. With this setup we were able to clear out the entire Underworld with very few problems.

We were in no way prepared for Dhumm.
ImageImageImageImage
Fenrir

Postby Fenrir » 16 Dec 2011, 07:23

Ah, I see. Yeah I was gonna say - best bet would be to look on the market. Huh. I actually find that mission to be pretty easy. Guessing you're going for the later hero armour and not trying to get the Sunspear sets for some of them?

I don't even recall the hero team I used (I was playing on my assassin) but I cleared it out no probs. Wasn't til I started on the quests that I got mobbed. As for the assassin skill it was likely something like Shadow Form before they nerfed it.

Return to “Video Games”