Embarrassing Board Game Collection

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Re: Embarrassing Board Game Collection

Postby Duckay » 08 Dec 2011, 15:18

That's fair. If it were some sort of limited edition one that might make a difference for me. Although even then I might judge it based on how important/nice the piece was and how gross the bin was.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 09 Dec 2011, 04:07

JackSlack wrote:FWIW, I still think Monopoly's trading angle is a really interesting one. It uses trading and auctions to good effect.

The problem is that it relies way too heavily on random elements, takes too damn long to play, and has this nasty feedback loop that is hard to break. (That is, if you begin winning, you gain an advantage.)

Aye, I think the appeal comes from the verisimilitude - those same aspects often play a role in real life... Image

Add to which, it's over eighty years old; when I was growing up, it was prominent because of a relatively narrower field of competition.

It has a little of the same appeal as Munchkin in that you play the people at the table more than the board.

For that matter, poker is the same in that respect.

I don't hate/ Monopoly, but it's a flawed game and sure doesn't deserve the stratospheric success it's had.

Hear-hear.
rustak
First Video: Man Cooking - Swiss Meat Roll

Postby rustak » 09 Dec 2011, 12:26

The problem I have with Monopoly, other than just a general dislike, is that there are so many other games that are better in almost any possible axis (more fun, more engaging, more entertaining, better for groups, whatever) that there's no good reason to play it. Probably the only area in which it "wins" is that you can probably find Monopoly *everywhere*.

I just bought Super Dungeon Explore last night ("~~Supaaaa Dungeon Explooo~~"). Now I have to assemble a billion miniatures:

RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 10 Dec 2011, 08:08

@aeric90: I don't see Battlestar Galactica in there, I'm assuming it's behind the first row, otherwise you should be ashamed and do something about it.
And Twilight Imperium is the only board game I own and it is awesome (If you can live with the huge playtime), so points for having that. :D
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 10 Dec 2011, 15:10

Am I the only one who's slightly disappointed that this isn't a thread about collections of embarrassing board games? ;)

Seriously, though, that's pretty impressive, and looks like a lot of fun. :)
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Dec 2011, 09:28

So, as someone who enjoys dealing with currency(gaining and investing),what would be a better game than Monopoly? And how easy would it be fore getting my family to play it (Real Monopoly went down like a shit bomb)
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 19 Dec 2011, 20:54

Timelady wrote:Am I the only one who's slightly disappointed that this isn't a thread about collections of embarrassing board games?

If you have an anecdote about your collection of embarrassing board games, I am all ears.

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:So, as someone who enjoys dealing with currency(gaining and investing),what would be a better game than Monopoly?

I seriously wish I knew.
Ahlir
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Ahlir » 19 Dec 2011, 22:27

http://squatter.com.au/

Ok so it deals with money and sheep. But it's a lot like Monopoly, only better. Hard to find though.
* Disclaimer: The person writing this has no idea what she is talking about.*

Image ImageImage
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 20 Dec 2011, 08:07

There's this game I like called Speicherstadt.

Kinda obscure, but super fun.

It's about money and trading and investing and stuff.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
kodra
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby kodra » 21 Dec 2011, 13:19

Hey Aeric, do you play TTA online at boardgaming-online.com? If so, we should totally play a game together.

I see you have most of Vlaada Chvatil's games. Have you ever tried Bunny Bunny Moose Moose?

I am a huge board game geek as well, so I can appreciate that collection.

Rest assured, it is most certainly not the most embarrassing one. I know people with several shelving units and several games still in shrink.
Is a big fan of Panic! at the Disco
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 22 Dec 2011, 01:41

Anyone got Lost: The Game?

And no I don't mean as in "You just lost the game" (which you totally just did!) but the actual board game for Lost. It seemed like a good idea but it runs out of steam very quickly and the publishers never did anything more with it.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 19 Jan 2012, 06:46

Remember that giant pile of games on the table? Well they've been orgainzed!

ImageImage

There are also 4 new ones... >.>
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 20 Jan 2012, 01:12

Wow, Aeric, your collection looks great now. Congrats.

My embarrassing board game collection is small, but some of the games are very personal. I've had the Raiders of the Lost Ark & Mad Magazine board games since I was a child as I could never let them go. Some of my others tho', took literally years to replace as I was foolish enough to sell them at a garage sale when I thought I was too old for them. The Star Wars: Escape from the Death Star board game was an easy find at the Midwest Gaming Classic a while ago, but it's taken years of daily eBay searches to finally replace my Goonies board game, which finally arrived at my door last month. :) I've seen many auctions come & go but they usually sell for much more than I'm willing to pay for just a board game. Upwards of a couple hundred dollars in come cases. But finally I have that piece of my childhood back.

More embarrassing than my selection of mediocre games treasured for nostalgia's sake, is my stack of Arkham Horror games. I have every expansion because I love Lovecraft's work & the games are beautiful, but I have no one to play the games with. :(
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 20 Jan 2012, 08:51

Geoff_B wrote:Anyone got Lost: The Game?

And no I don't mean as in "You just lost the game" (which you totally just did!) but the actual board game for Lost. It seemed like a good idea but it runs out of steam very quickly and the publishers never did anything more with it.

I received it as a Christmas present about 4 years ago (or whenever it was that Lost was relevant), but it was only this past Christmas day that we actually opened it up and tried to play it.

That does not look like a game to try and teach uninterested and sleepy family members how to play on Christmas day. We got about 2 turn cycles in before people gave up and played Cluedo instead.
TeamKill
First Video: CH s01e04

Postby TeamKill » 22 Jan 2012, 12:59

My Room mate and I share an embarrassing collection, the most embarrassing part is probably the 4 versions of Risk, 2 of which I haven't even played.
WAT

Return to “Video Games”