Stop SOPA

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Re: Stop SOPA

Postby Rikadyn » 21 Jan 2012, 08:06

the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 21 Jan 2012, 08:14

Certainly the activity itself is nothing new as far as public knowledge goes, but to be so brazen as to declare on national television that you're doing it, at all let alone to push through tremendously unpopular legislature, is certainly a bad move for him.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Rikadyn

Postby Rikadyn » 21 Jan 2012, 09:03

Also, if ya hear on the news that they've pulled the bills don't get too happy, there are already other ones that are coming down the pipe that are just as bad, SOPA/PIPA is a battle, but we're at war.

http://gcn.com/articles/2011/08/05/protecting-children-bill-could-kill-internet.aspx

https://www.eff.org/issues/acta
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 21 Jan 2012, 09:08

The stupid thing is still that this legislature is controversial as hell in industry, since most artists don't support it, having come to a much better understanding of how the new age of media and art is evolving and that this kind of legislature is the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot with a howitzer. But there are still those ignorant enough, scared enough, and stupid enough in the old guard to think this is a good idea.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 21 Jan 2012, 09:14

Someone on one of the sites reporting this commented "isn't the POINT of campaign donations not being bribes that the funds are given WITHOUT the expectation of Quid Pro Quo? Isn't Dodd publicly admitting guilt of attempted bribery of public officials?"

My concern is that NOW this will settle down and the REAL D.C. Deals will be dealt out, in back-rooms with no media coverage; that slightly revised versions of SOPA & PIPA will slip through committee and under the radar... :(

Which, again, is all the more reason to stay vigilant!
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 21 Jan 2012, 09:17

won't happen. If there's one thing that's hard to do these days, it's pass net-related legislature under radar in the US. we are vigilant about it.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Rikadyn

Postby Rikadyn » 21 Jan 2012, 10:45

Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 21 Jan 2012, 10:57

Well dicks.
WBAGNR
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby WBAGNR » 21 Jan 2012, 11:02

iamafish wrote:copping a feel is just the gentlemanly thing to do

My travel blog
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 21 Jan 2012, 15:27

ESA now does not support for PIPA/SOPA.
http://gamepolitics.com/2012/01/20/esa- ... -pipa-sopa

People posting about this aren't very happy with ESA's very late back peddling.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Jan 2012, 15:34

they had to wait till it was defeated and the alternate bills where written so they could more quietly support those.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 21 Jan 2012, 15:37

Wouldn't YouTube be pooping their pants if SOPA was brought in? I'm sure they'd be taken off line with the first 5 minutes.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 21 Jan 2012, 15:41

They are pooping their pants over it, though as uploading sites go they're a fair bit whipped already.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 21 Jan 2012, 15:43

Remember guys, youtube is owned by Google.

And Google was very much against the bill.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
empath

Postby empath » 21 Jan 2012, 19:22

Anyways, I just love that ACTA was signed by a representative of my US-metoo'er*cough-cough* I mean duly-appointed government leader when the specifics of it were kept secret for years.

(BTW, props to the EU officials that leaked details to let us all know about this)
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 23 Jan 2012, 09:47

Now, after MegaUpload, other file share sites are panicking.

http://tumichael.com/internet-marketing ... es-closed/
empath

Postby empath » 23 Jan 2012, 16:07

So, PIPA co-sponsor Sen. Chuck Grassley got his twitter account hacked (maybe a lone anon who was feeling a little vengeful over Megaupload), and after a few choice blasts about the 'Hollywood buys gov't life-support' bills, he just let everyone else in on the fun by posting the account's password:

"chuck123"

I think Wil Wheaton said it best:
Letting these people write laws that affect the Internet is like letting a blind person write a law about what color you can paint your house.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 23 Jan 2012, 16:30

plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 23 Jan 2012, 21:50

See... I think the argument that "How can these guys make laws about X without knowing anything about X" are a bit wrongheaded. Now, Congresses complete disregard for advice from people that are actually experts in this field is troubling and I think a sign of at best elitist stubbornness and at worst outright corruption. However, them simply not knowing about it in the first place is understandable. They make laws about damn near everything. It's just not reasonable or feasible form them to pack this much information coming in. The real focus of our attacks should be on the processes they use to educate themselves and the laws they draft. That's where the real problem is, and honestly, you're going to have a much easier job fixing that than getting subject matter experts elected, as politicking is an actual skill that a lot of people aren't good at.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 24 Jan 2012, 01:20

plummeting_sloth wrote:See... I think the argument that "How can these guys make laws about X without knowing anything about X" are a bit wrongheaded.

Probably (or definitely) not the same thing but five words: Senator Ted Stevens, Net Neutrality.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 24 Jan 2012, 02:20

Image Image Image
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 24 Jan 2012, 02:29

empath wrote:And getting back on topic, looks like the 'boycott ESA's cash cow' threat worked - way to go, Graham & Co.!
While I would like to give credit to Graham when and where possible, I think it is Penny Arcade who is once agian responsible for unleashing the internet.

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/01/20
Image Image Image
empath

Postby empath » 24 Jan 2012, 03:53

plummeting_sloth wrote:See... I think the argument that "How can these guys make laws about X without knowing anything about X" are a bit wrongheaded. Now, Congresses complete disregard for advice from people that are actually experts in this field is troubling and I think a sign of at best elitist stubbornness and at worst outright corruption.

Yeah, that's the really egregious thing here, and I think it's a little of both (well, $94 million of the worst, at least). If the pols here are supposed to have the ability to solicit the advice of ANYONE they choose, and the refuse to do so, that's even worse than just not knowing anything about the subject matter up for legislation.

Ignorance is one thing, WILLFUL refusal to learn is another.

However, them simply not knowing about it in the first place is understandable. They make laws about damn near everything. It's just not reasonable or feasible form them to pack this much information coming in. The real focus of our attacks should be on the processes they use to educate themselves and the laws they draft. That's where the real problem is, and honestly, you're going to have a much easier job fixing that than getting subject matter experts elected, as politicking is an actual skill that a lot of people aren't good at.

Ah, but getting back to above; if they are confronted with a situation like "We're supposed to make a law about this - I don't know jack about it." and they can SUBPOENA people to give them the info they need (if it comes to that) and [b]they are STILL running around with the equivalent of a router named "Linksys" with a password of "admin", that's all the MORE CONTEMPTIBLE.

It's not just a case of "someone tabled this bill before us", Grassley was one of the CO-SPONSORS of PIPA; he SUBMITTED THE BILL - *HE* should be expected to 'have done his homework' already before all this started.
Last edited by empath on 24 Jan 2012, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 24 Jan 2012, 03:59

I'm looking forward to establishing myself as a self-employed artist during the recession and if SOPA gets enforced. Shall I commit suicide now?

In art it's impossible to create something 100% original. Subconsciously you're trying to imitate something else.
empath

Postby empath » 24 Jan 2012, 04:02

Nah, build up a portfolio of work that no one is interested in, THEN off yourself. Down the road, someone's gonna 'discover' you and that unappreciated art will suddenly be hailed in all the best places.

That seems to be the formula; still a raw deal for YOU, I think - yer prolly better off hanging around.

Return to “General Discussion”