Star Wars: The Old Republic

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
SPACExJUMPxJOSH
First Video: loading ready rap

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Postby SPACExJUMPxJOSH » 15 Dec 2011, 12:22

well darth revan will be making a comeback due to a gameplay teaser, and in an interview a designer said to remember that droids live for a long time :P
I AM LRR! RULER OF THE PLANET OMACRON PERCEI 8!
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 17 Dec 2011, 10:19

So LRR forum, whose up for teaming up in TOR? Eh eh eh?
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 18 Dec 2011, 10:40

Sign me up Jillers.

Question is, what faction? What region of servers? US West, East, Europe?
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 18 Dec 2011, 13:49

All. My. Envy.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 18 Dec 2011, 20:08

Red Charlie wrote:Sign me up Jillers.

Question is, what faction? What region of servers? US West, East, Europe?

Can someone in the US play on a European server and vice versa?
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 19 Dec 2011, 02:15

Yes, I think so.On the server selection screen, you have a tab at the bottom. You can switch between the two. SWTOR has a lot of 'small' features that improves the MMO genre very much.
Though Guild Wars had this 'International Servers' option before.

You'll adore AOE looting. At first you'll be like "WHERE DID MY LOOT GO?!" and then you'll be like... "ah..."

Combat system feels like KOTOR and Dragon Age 1 & 2. No auto attack you get used to. Pretty much most classes end up like the Rogue from WoW where there's periods where you pool resources by spamming your free ability.
Like with my character, the Jedi Shadow DPS, I have a handful of procs, but some of them have CDs. So when I cause both to occur and I'm low on "Force" I spam my free spell till I have about 60ish Force and then repeat my cycle of abilities.
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 27 Dec 2011, 15:56

Ok, I just wanted to say I am really in love with this game, and that's no easy feat for an MMO to pull off.

I also wanted to add that I'm on the Thana Vesh server, both Empire and Republic. Iamerror is my imperial agent, and Addison-Aben is my Jedi Consular for anyone with any interest in teaming up some time.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 28 Dec 2011, 07:52

So, my brother pre-ordered this game and I've been watching with interest as he's been playing (he is playing it in my office, after all, so it's kind of hard not to take a look now and again). Sometime last night when he was getting ready to log off and go play D&D or something with friends I asked if he would mind if I rolled up a character to see how the game played.

... now, I'm not entirely sure when I asked and make my character, but fast forward to 3 o'clock in the morning where my Jedi Knight just hits level 10 and is on Coruscant. A game hasn't made me lose track of time quite that badly for a while now, so clearly ToR is doing something right.

Beyond the gameplay, the story and dialogue having Bioware's fingerprints all over them and whacking things with a lightsaber just being awesome I'm finding lots of little things in the game that I quite like. Things like AoE looting, the area map becoming transparent if you're moving, and that kind of thing. Clever little touches that seem obvious in hindsight but do an MMO good.

I'm not entirely sure where I'm going from here. My current rig is in no state to run this game without melting and my brother is already referring to this Knight as "my character" even after saying I effectively just made him another alt. I may negotiate with him to get access to the account and "my" character in exchange for half of the subscription fees, but we'll just see how that pans out.

My Knight, by the way, is named Deandra. The plan is to make her a Jedi Sentinel at lvl 11 so she can act as a DPSer. Like every other character on the account she's on the Sith Wyrm server.
ImageImageImageImage
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 28 Dec 2011, 11:54

The Bonus series quests are my bane. As a completionist and playing a stealth character, bonus quests piss me off as it is. Returning to my space ship after assuming 'I've finished' only to be yelled at to go back where I came from and do more quests isn't fun. Sure you get more alignment points, some more Heroic quests that are harder to find groups for due most sensible players are not doing the bonus series, and an orange weapon. But it's just extra hassle. It reminds me that despite how Bioware sprinkling fun RP elements into quests, it's still basically the well-loved and established MMO formula of having 'jobs to do' disguised as 'quests'.

I love the game never-the-less. I'm desperately trying to catch up to my guild mates so I can do FLASHPOINTS with them. I lost a week of leveling when my character got trapped into a CPU leakage spot on Tar(d)is.
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 06 Jan 2012, 18:33

No no... my bane is Balmorra. I /hate/ Balmorra.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 07 Jan 2012, 10:48

Balamory?
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 25 Jan 2012, 07:57

I haven't posted in forever, but yeah. Balmorra is just...awful. It saps my will to play. I switched servers a couple times to play with a friend, but every single time I reach Balmorra, it's just...ugh. I understand Imperials have to deal with it straight after Droumand Kaas(which is pretty unpleasant on it's own), so my condolences.

I'm weird in that I like Taris, though. It goes on a little longer than it should and it's kind of boring fighting nothing but rakghouls, but I just find the planet itself beautiful. In a sad, somber sort of way. And you get closure for a couple of sidequests from KOTOR, and that's really nice. As sad and somber as the rest of the planet, but nice.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 25 Jan 2012, 09:24

TOR sure is a game... That I'm playing.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 25 Jan 2012, 12:24

How does it compare to WoW?
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 25 Jan 2012, 12:47

I pretty vastly prefer WoW, but that's not to say TOR is bad.

-m

I am not angry at you.
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 26 Jan 2012, 10:02

So I've played a bit and this is what I think about it so far...

I really like the story focus. I'm paying attention to everything, even the stupid side quests and even those have more resonance than in other MMOs I've played. Just someone explaining to me why they need something makes it more palpable to go get X of them. I enjoy the scripted and voices dialogue for the same reason, even if the dialogue choice has no impact it's much better than reading (or not reading) a block of text. I'm more attached to my character than I've ever been in other games this early on. I do wish that there had been more voice options but I can understand why that would have been a logistical nightmare. I also really like that, by default, your armour pieces colour match. It seems like such a small thing but I remember looking like a colour-blind magnetized pimp who took a run through a thrift store a few times in WoW but in SWTOR I always look badass and always StarWars-y. The option to be able to complete almost all the content single player is also incredibly welcome.

I'm a bit luke warm on the MMO combat but I guess they couldn't really do much to change it. The more clicky aspect of the lack of auto attack makes me feel like I should be doing more than stand there but the fact that everything is numbers driven means that actively dodging and stuff does nothing. Just a tad unsatisfying that way. The interface needs some more customization options, though that may come later. I'm also tepid on the morality system. While I'm glad it does more than just change story elements there's no incentive to be nothing but all good or all bad really. Some of the morality choices so far have been very questionable and subjective in their overall 'morality' too.

What I don't like so far, and this is really annoying me, is the half assed creativity of this Universe. I know what you meant in your Tweets now, Matt. Despite being in the Old Republic things look and feel way too prequel trilogy in some places and the "HEY LOOK! THIS IS STAR WARS!" moments are cheesy and smack of lazy creative design. Examples: In the bounty hunter story missions you go to a Hutt's palace. Your first cut scene features an alien popping up into frame, gibbering and turning away exactly like the Moss Eisley cantina opening shot in A New Hope. Earlier you walk past the band in the bar and it is exactly like Max Rebo's band from Jed. The 'taxis' you take around the planet are speeder bikes from Jed. This is supposed to be set some 3000 years before the films!!! This should give you license to do whatever you want! Am I supposed to believe that in 3000 years speeder bike technology hasn't improved in the slightest? That somehow Max Rebo inherited the 3000 year old keyboard played by his great-great....-great grand whatever and took up the family tradition of being a band for Huts? The previous Old Republic games made a bit of an effort to work around this. Couldn't some restraint have been exercised? This is really starting to bother me.

I'm also missing the sense of awe that I had in WoW and even Rifts. Going from one zone to the next in those games often resulted in seeing something amazing. I will never forget leaving the Night Elf starting area and having an Ancient step over me. That's totally missing here for me so far. I'm wondering if it's just the bland starting worlds I'm on.

So anyways (TL:DR) it's good so far but not great. It's pluses have me ignoring the minuses but I'm not sure it'll live on past finishing each main story.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 26 Jan 2012, 10:10

My experience mirrors yours quite a lot, aeric - I like my character a lot, and I'm quite attached to her and her personality.

I like making choices in tune with building her character.

I'm not sure why I'm paying 15$ a month for this though, because it's a single-player game, with other people running around in the background.

It doesn't feel like it needs to be, or should be an MMO.

-m

I am not angry at you.
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 26 Jan 2012, 10:26

Incidentally "Colour-blind Magnet Pimp" is my Parliament Funkadlic cover band.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Jan 2012, 02:42

I wish there was more options for leveling in certain brackets. Every player levels through the zones in the same order as there's no real way to mix it up. Bonus series quests do slightly however, but by the time you're GTFOing off the planet, you maybe sick and tired of it or had assumed the story there had been closed and felt like it was a good point to finish it. Problem is not many people do the Bonus quests and as they threw in some Heroic 4s in there, getting a group with normal pleb people is hard.
However if they added more options of which zone to level up in they'd interfere with the class quests which are so strongly written. Bioware would either force certain classes to one planet or allow multiple options for each zone, for each class. That would be a silly amount of work.

Still doesn't stop me wishing that I didn't have to go to Balmorra each time.

I prefer SWTOR over WoW despite SWTOR's flaws. I've played WoWn for 6+ years. I'm frankly sick of it, and I have asociations good and bad, which I would happily never have to recall ever again if it means getting rid of the bad. WoW is a different game from when I started, 'comunity'-wise. WoW is pretty much a huge Airport with people passing through, too busy to stop and talk. LFG queue system assisted with this. It made building social contacts outside of your social circle pointless.

SWTOR has no LFG system. Means you must spam LFM at end game for end game dungeons and you learn who's a good player and not and you add people who you like as friends so you can group faster next time. Not 50 yet so cannot vouch for dungeoning, but the principles of mmo socialness are still there.

I also appreciate being a Commando Trooper being able to pick up Orange-Quality Jedi Heavy gear with commendations and putting my AIM modifications in instead. Jedi Trooper!

A problem I found with the morality system was during my Class quest, I had in theory a very tough choice. One of those, No right answeroptions.Unfortunately, I was playing a pure good/evil and each choice had a light/dark correspondence. It made the choice trivial. I mean, it was interesting realising why each choice had each alignment result, but that doesn't make up for the lack-of-freedom. Ironically, these conversations gives you 'freedom' to do what you want, but always with morality systems most people want one extreme or the other. Therefore this is no freedom what-so-ever. Still doesn't mean I don't enjoy cutscenes. I enjoy being a dick to everyone but end up doing the 'right thing'. Next character I'm going to be all nice and then screw them over with a darkside option.
PinkassPink
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby PinkassPink » 28 Jan 2012, 05:35

Yeah, one of the things I was hoping they'd include was a reward for keeping your alignment as close to zero as possible. Although the black and white moral choices are so typical of a Bioware game.
I also wish you could change the personality of your character somewhat. I'm tired of (almost) every single Jedi having a stump up their ass. I miss Jolee Bindo.
And I only just unlocked Legacy, and they barely say anything about it. What exactly does it do?
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 30 Jan 2012, 04:41

Legacy will provide shared bonuses across all your characters on the same server. They all contribute to the same legacy. Nothing's implemented yet. Perhaps they weren't going to add rewards in till they realistically saw how easy it was to level it up.

Just dinged 50. Woop. I'm a Jedi Trooper!

I find the male Jedi Consular voice acting very dry. Therefore the only engaging and interesting way of playing it is to be a dick. Then you sound like an emotionless murderer.
The female trooper sounds very good. Very un-lesbian or butchy lady. Actually normal woman.
Drunk On Mystery
First Video: Some episode of Unskippable.

Postby Drunk On Mystery » 30 Jan 2012, 09:36

I find it weird that, at least for the Jedi Consular, the choices aren't really "Good or evil" as much as they tend towards "Hopeless idealist or pragmatist".

Telling a girl she should give up on her dream of being a great spy for her cause when she's already been captured multiple times isn't evil; it's likely saving her life by telling her that, based on overwhelming evidence, she's not cut out to be a spy.

But I'll say that I've found the stories to be a lot more interesting playing the "evil" side's characters as light side and vice-versa.
This is why we can't have nice things.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 30 Jan 2012, 17:14

Alternatively if you want to play light side on republic and dark side on empire and make it still interesting, try being extremely rude and blunt on Republic but always go light side or always be a douche on Empire and always go dark side. You get interesting scenarios of:

*Murders Innocent Man*
*Apologises to weeping wife*
*Threatens Wife for Credits*
*Explains it's for the best interest of everyone as it will fund local defence*
*Rape*
*Apologise again*
etc

Note, these aren't real events, they're just examples.

Given I haven't noticed any real reason for alignment except for looking ugly or only using certain colour crystals and access to certain mounts, I think Bioware should have removed the alignment system. Or hidden it. A lot of hard choices are made easy because of the alignment system.

I am curious to find out what it's like playing a Light-sided Imperial. I also believe ganking on PvP servers should reward darkside points. You get dark side points commanding a child to return back to his parents after 7 years of kidnap but not for killing another player who's just able managing to kill a Champion mob? It might encourage more players to gank or make players tend to pick Dark Side but I think it would make the immersion in the universe better.
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 31 Jan 2012, 08:53

I thought the Consular story was pretty boring over all. The VA (Nolan North) doesn't help. Everything about it is just so bland. It's mushy oatmeal: the game. Plus the Act 1 villain has what is possibly the stupidest name for a villain ever. And all the characters say it in the most dramatic and terrified tone. It's just absurd.

Jedi Knight is much more interesting, I think. The storyline is much more Star Wars feeling and has some really cool moments. The VA is David Hayter though, and it's impossible to not hear Snake sometimes. I think that makes it even more amusing, but I guess some people might not want to play Solid Jedi.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 31 Jan 2012, 17:40

The Trooper Story line merges with the story line of the planet you're on very well. It's both a bad and a good thing.
You feel like you're very much part of the politics of the game and the events.
Also means it's hard to notice when your class quest is going on so you feel slightly uninterested.

Doesn't help all Trooper Companions uses Heavy Aim gear.

They did try very hard to make the class' story interesting but you do, at the end of it feel like an 'NPC' in one of the films.

Return to “Video Games”