Menswear

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Matt
LRR Crew

Re: Menswear

Postby Matt » 26 Jan 2012, 09:29

The collar is just a hair too big. it's a 17" and I'm technically a 16.5", but I usually find 16.5's too restrictive. If rest of the shirt can be fitted, I'll ask to have the collar button shifted slightly to take a little of the extra space out.

If not, I'll take it back.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 26 Jan 2012, 09:33

Yeah, you can usually shift it about 1/4 of an inch. If going to do that myself to the shirt I got at the Sally Ann.

OTOH, if it costs that much to have taken in to fit, is it really worth the 'deal' of getting it on sale? Worse, if it winds up fitting not quite right, would you even wear it?

The most expensive clothes are the ones you don't wear.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 26 Jan 2012, 09:40

This is why I'm going to go and ask a tailor for an estimate. If it's going to cost 100$ to get it fitted, it's not worth it. But for 25-30$ I'd be happy to get it recut. It's EXACTLY the shirt I've been looking for for some time now. I dunno why the dimensions are so wonky.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 26 Jan 2012, 09:47

PRL is mid-to-low-end of the Ralph Lauren empire, so most of that stuff is cut to "welp I hope you fit into it, anyways" sizing that's so common to off-the-rack stuff.

I mean, how much taking in are we talking? A couple inches in sleeves and sides, or more? Because beyond that point you're running some risks.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 26 Jan 2012, 09:54

The big thing is the shoulders. They're about an inch overlong on both sides. The armholes are also low. The body could probably drop 2-3 inches on either side.

It's a 17" 32/33, but I don't understand how a person with girth enough to fill this shirt out could possibly have a 17" neck.

Whatevs. I'll take it in and ask for a professional opinion. If it's a no go, it's a no go.

-m

I am not angry at you.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 26 Jan 2012, 10:09

You could also ask how much it would be for the guy to make you a shirt like it, but which fits perfectly. If it's less than or equal to the price of the shirt and the adjustments... I'd take the OTR shirt back and bring some business to the nice tailor who'd been very helpful.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 27 Jan 2012, 17:58

Aw man! I found a real nice pair of black Florshiem full oxford wingtips in great shape at Value Village, for $24.99.

...and they were a half size too small.

I snapped pics. I'll post them when I get home.

CRUSHED.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Jan 2012, 17:59

Just take a knife to your feet, shave off some of the excess, and your feet will slide right in.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Jan 2012, 20:01

Did you try them on? How snug were they? Shoes caaan be stretched about half a size, at least in width. Length is dicey. But I hope you at least tried them on.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 27 Jan 2012, 20:04

I couldn't get my foot into it.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Jan 2012, 20:04

Dag, yo.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 27 Jan 2012, 20:55

Matt wrote:I couldn't get my foot into it.

-m

Some days you're cinderella, some days you're the ugly stepsister.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Jan 2012, 23:06

If anybody is looking for a inexpensive, versatile, well-made (in the US), dressy necktie, that would be suitable for say a wedding, you could do a hell of a lot worse than this.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 28 Jan 2012, 00:31

I think there are a pair of Clark's desert boots in my very near future.

-m

I am not angry at you.
DancingFox
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby DancingFox » 28 Jan 2012, 02:35

Lackadaisy reminded me how much I need to get a sweeping badass longcoat, other than my kind of ragged thin Harkness-esque blue one. I've had one in mind, here, I just need to figure out the sizing...
Tales from the Menagerie! New fiction magazine looking for submissions of all sorts!
http://www.talesfromthemenagerie.com/
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 28 Jan 2012, 02:57

Matt wrote:It's a 17" 32/33, but I don't understand how a person with girth enough to fill this shirt out could possibly have a 17" neck.

Matt, you should try buying clothes in my size some time.

The average shirt that fits me width wise is freaking tiny lengh wise.

I also have a fairly decent looking green dress shirt, first me perfectly except for the fact that the arms are about halfway to my elbow. I fail to see how anyone in the world could fill the lengh of that shirt and have arms that short. It's like they made it for some sort of human T-Rex hybrid.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 28 Jan 2012, 09:03

Matt wrote:I think there are a pair of Clark's desert boots in my very near future.

-m

Good choice. A solid, classic casual boot. I want a sand-coloured pair myself.

DancingFox wrote:Lackadaisy reminded me how much I need to get a sweeping badass longcoat, other than my kind of ragged thin Harkness-esque blue one. I've had one in mind, here, I just need to figure out the sizing...

This ankle length Rifle Frock is the coat of the Wild West.
Exterior 65% polyester, 35% viscose. Lining 100% acetate.

Please do not spend over $200 on a polyester coat. You can have a much better quality coat, even in that style, at a much lower price point, even at retail.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 28 Jan 2012, 10:06

I should take a picture of these boots I just got. I really should. I'll remind myself to take one later.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 28 Jan 2012, 11:42

At a research conference. I ironed my shirt this morning.

Jacket is the same one from my last picture, so I took it off. The arms on the shirt are right on the cusp of being too long (right up to the first knuckle) but I'd rather too long than too short.

Pants are from a dark grey suit I bought three years ago for graduation. They still fit quite well. I went to try on the jacket suit when I was getting clothes ready for the conference, and I realize now that the jacket's shoulders are too wide for me. Stupid. :(

Research conferences, btw, are a treasure trove of sloppily dressed people in ill-fitting suits. Computer scientists are shit at dressing themselves.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 28 Jan 2012, 11:48

Can't go wrong with gray dress pants though. Looks sharp. I agree about the sleeves, but better to err a little long I think. Difficult to have a tailor change the length of sleeves, too, plus I find when I wear a jacket it pulls them up a bit.

I have a research day and possibly a conference presentation to do coming up. I should get a new jacket.

Similarly, I bought a black (ugh) suit soon after leaving high school. Shamefully, it's also too wide in the shoulders, which sucks because it's a very nice suit (half-canvassed, good construction). A few years ago I bought another suit (also black - ugh), and though the jacket fits, the pants are way, way to tight. So I think I'll pair the jacket of one with the pants of the other, for those rare occasions when I'll need a black suit. Evening formal functions, funerals, etc.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 28 Jan 2012, 13:27

metcarfre wrote:Can't go wrong with gray dress pants though. Looks sharp. I agree about the sleeves, but better to err a little long I think. Difficult to have a tailor change the length of sleeves, too, plus I find when I wear a jacket it pulls them up a bit.

I have a research day and possibly a conference presentation to do coming up. I should get a new jacket.

Similarly, I bought a black (ugh) suit soon after leaving high school. Shamefully, it's also too wide in the shoulders, which sucks because it's a very nice suit (half-canvassed, good construction). A few years ago I bought another suit (also black - ugh), and though the jacket fits, the pants are way, way to tight. So I think I'll pair the jacket of one with the pants of the other, for those rare occasions when I'll need a black suit. Evening formal functions, funerals, etc.

Yeah, putting on the jacket definitle pulls the sleeves up, and if they're any shorter than this it's impossible to get that essential quarter inch of sleeve showing past the edge of the jacket sleeve. This is an off-the-rack medium anyway, so I'm not going to complain.

I'm in a similar position: I've got two black suits in my closet (one from senior prom, I think, and one from... heck I don't even know when). They both look awful, and I haven't put them on in years. They probably don't even fit anymore... I was a 38 waist then, I'm a 31/32 now. I should just get rid of them and invest in suits I'd actually feel comfortable wearing. I really want a navy suit... and one in a lighter grey. GAH. I want all the suits.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 29 Jan 2012, 12:25

My demo's in an hour and a half... so I am wearing a white shirt and tie.

There's another thing I'm wearing that is different, too. Can you spot it? It's pretty subtle.

tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 29 Jan 2012, 12:30

Your serious face?

Seriously though, Ditto, if you need help finding a suit, let me know, I have some connections. And by that I mean an employee discount at a menswear brand that does a lot of business selling suits.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 29 Jan 2012, 13:27

I can't tell. Underwear? Girdle?
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 29 Jan 2012, 14:15

here's those wingtips I mentioned:

:(

-m