Venting Thread Gamma

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Venting Thread Gamma

Postby empath » 30 Jan 2012, 02:52

Huh; I've been up for the past three hours or so (4-something AM when gt out of bd)

Fell ill yesterday at work; fine all mornin thn early afternoon i started szeening and ut was like someone just inflated a ballon in my snuses.

came home, lay down for a c[pl of hours and was kinda bettr; had a lite sdupper, and when it got dark, my sisnes blew up again; took Dennis Leary's cure-all (NyQuil) and red in bed for an indeterminate (but short) time

woke up abt 4am felling okay, puttered around, but now (7~ish) I'm goin to crap again; just caaled work, THEY said I soulnded shitty, and now I'm tainkin more green ahcohol an goin bed to back.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 30 Jan 2012, 02:57

To paraphrase my rant on Facebook about books in Skyrim: If I have to read "more then" or see brackets for speech breaks or any other HORRIBLY written form of media in a game that had previously done it amazingly (The Real Barenziah), then I'm going to wang-slap the author.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 30 Jan 2012, 03:26

I speak in parentheses (even the embedded ones).
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 30 Jan 2012, 04:17

How do you speak in parentheses? What word do you say to indicate that the sentence following is not necessary to the conversation and is only there to at best provide background information or at worst waste time?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 30 Jan 2012, 04:25

I usually use parentheses as a way of lodging in a trail of thought(Thought? Me? Pffft.) or a short statement that simply doesn't fit the rest of the sentence.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 30 Jan 2012, 04:39

I'm fine with it being written down. I just don't see how it can be used in speech. I'll give you an example of what I mean.

"Robert took his dog (the one he was given) for a walk," said Dave.

I don't see how parentheses can be used in that context.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 30 Jan 2012, 04:41

I can't access my Wizards of the Coast account, can't call their customer help line, and can't e-mail them. WTF?

I fully expect the problem is going to be that I used to have a forum account with them, but never used it. It got deactivated but not deleted, and consequently I cannot now sign up for D&D Insider. >:[
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 Jan 2012, 05:54

Customer: I couldn't come in on the weekend because it was busy and I didn't want to cause a seen by being given the run around.

Causes a seen because she wouldn't listen to about the cause of a laser burn on a 360 disc focusing more the light scratches believing they were worse.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 30 Jan 2012, 05:55

Geoff_B wrote:I'm fine with it being written down. I just don't see how it can be used in speech. I'll give you an example of what I mean.

"Robert took his dog (the one he was given) for a walk," said Dave.

I don't see how parentheses can be used in that context.

And that's how it's done in Skyrim! With entire paragraphs explaining something that could have been done in a few words! By the characters! It is written by idiots and for idiots. I wonder if my brother's laptop can handle Morrowind?
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 30 Jan 2012, 06:56

Whose bright idea was this?

Job fair, primarily geared at students.

Being held in the sister-city of the city both unis are actually in, so you have to take a long bus ride there.

Being held from 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM Wednesday.

Really? A job fair for students ... during prime classtime? I have class from 10:30 AM to 6:30 PM that day and I have a lab which I cannot skip during that time.

I just ... ugh. I don't want to skip two classes and risk missing my lab to go to this but I really need to.

Also the email I got about it said that the buses would be leaving from the "rear parking lot" of a section of the campus which has been demolished and is currently a huge construction area. I'm pretty sure there is no access to the rear parking lot if it even still exists.

Sigh.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 30 Jan 2012, 09:28

How do you speak a comma, bang, or even a question mark?

Inflection, and silence. With these verbal tools, I can speak in asides (the written version being brackets).
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 30 Jan 2012, 09:29

How do you speak a comma, bang, or even a question mark?

Inflection, and silence. With these verbal tools, I can speak in asides (the written version being brackets).
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 30 Jan 2012, 09:46

"Registration failed. IP is listed on stopspam.com" Well that doesn't sound right...*clicks link*. "This IP is on "0" of our lists."

But you...the last page said...I'm not...
Well. My mind just collapsed.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 30 Jan 2012, 11:04

So BANG, I'm all like being super productive and on task for the first time in ages, building up momentum, and someone important to me gets dropped into hell on earth by the universe. I've offered her any help she needs since the words "police report" came up, but I don't know how I'm going to keep it together if she activates the offer, but I know I've got to do both it comes to that. Timing: MADE OF SUCK!!!
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 30 Jan 2012, 11:08

That sorta shit happens Epoc.
All you gotta do is just fight through it, be who you are and it will be fine.

And we're all here for ya man.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 30 Jan 2012, 15:24

I need serious help. Uncharted 3 and Dark Souls have been sitting on my shelf since Xmas un-opened. I just can't stop playing Skyrim :(
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 30 Jan 2012, 17:13

I don't know if this is really a "vent" as such, but I need to get it off my chest a little.

I just got a phone call from work saying that a client has been hospitalized. I was specifically requested to come on shift and help out. I'm working at a different house tonight; I can't do it.

What sucks is that I feel like I've let them down even though obviously I can't help that I'm working elsewhere. And I'm really kind of upset about their hospitalization because it's just the next step in an ongoing series of health problems and I just feel really sad for them. Of course, no one in my personal life knows this client from Adam, so it's hard to just talk about just to get my feelings out there a little.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 30 Jan 2012, 18:04

Well Duckay, we're here for ya. And, if you feel bad about it, I know you have some batshit work hours at the moment, but if the patient likes you, you could always drop in if you've got time and just say hi, have a talk with them for 10 minutes.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
empath

Postby empath » 30 Jan 2012, 20:34

Just tipped over a bottle of water and soaked my 'trackman' "pointing device"; after taking it apart as best as possible and blotting dry whatever I can...

...it still won't work. :?

Gee, I'm glad I learned Windoz' GUI with all the keyboard shortcuts until I could get a regular mouse connected...

...now I just have to relearn how to use a mouse to point instead of a trackball; this whole 'moving the whole thing to move the cursor' is a lot more effort. :P

Shame, tho - I got that sucker less than a year ago, and now it's a $60 paperweight; either I get RSI from the unfamiliar activity of using a mouse, or I put up with 'you haven't paid us' calls from one of my creditors this month. :(
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Jan 2012, 21:12

Might not be a total loss yet, leave it in a dry place for a few days then try it. If a pile of rice works for an iPod, it should work for a trackball.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
empath

Postby empath » 30 Jan 2012, 21:33

Fair enough; not gonna hold my breath (I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than the alternative ;^) ) but we'll wait and see.

However, this means I'm out of any Runners STF activity just when I was planning to encourage the same; my gaming reactions are all shot with the differing interface. :P
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 30 Jan 2012, 23:51

the_lone_bard wrote:That sorta shit happens Epoc.
All you gotta do is just fight through it, be who you are and it will be fine.

And we're all here for ya man.

I hear ya, and appreciate it. I know this happens, in fact, my big issue is that it happens too much.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
empath

Postby empath » 31 Jan 2012, 04:43

...aaaaaand Zyxst's video card is starting to fail. Namely the screen goes black but computer seems to still respond - she actually was able to click "Start>Shutdown(Restart)" without resorting to the keyboard; I'm gonna trust her if she ever wants to shave me blindfolded or anything. :)

And since that machine has gone through a few upgrades (that's the second vidi card, for example) I'm thinking it's safer to get her a whole new compy with a nice fresh power supply, better cpu & ram & gpu for the youtube video'ing she's started to do, not to mention the 256Gb hard drive is another bottleneck for her.

...but that means we'll have to wait for my tax refund. :(
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 31 Jan 2012, 05:16

Are you sure the power or video cable in the back of the monitor are not just connected a little wonky. (I've once spent 2 hours troubleshooting what turned out to be a halfway disconnected power cable) I know this is the sort of question a helpdesk would ask, but it seems like the first logical thing to check, and something a lot of people seem to forget :wink:
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 31 Jan 2012, 06:33

Ah, great way to start off the day. Stranded at Starbucks before heading to the studio and the barista gets in a conversation with me about how girls aren't good at math or science. Then the racist old people that meet here everyday start talking about their diarrhea. They always glare at me. One day they were talking about how they don't like immigrants, obama supporters or photographers. DO YOU THINK THEY KNOW?????

Bro totally has tennis balls on his walker.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.

Return to “General Discussion”