FRIDAY NIGHTS: In Command

Talk about the latest LRR draft videos or Friday Nights.
Cho_J
First Video: Omnilingual

Re: FRIDAY NIGHTS: In Command

Postby Cho_J » 08 Mar 2012, 22:59

I loved this episode! I even showed it to a friend of mine who knows nothing of LRR or Magic and she enjoyed it thoroughly (though I had to explain the Ikea line, which was priceless). :D Kind of amazing I'm enjoying Friday Nights so much even though everyone time someone talks it sounds like the "Magic magic magic" thing from the first episode...
-Cho
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 08 Mar 2012, 23:09

Nanosauromo wrote:
Graham wrote:We'll know for next time!

You heard it here, folks! There will be a second season of Friday Nights!
IF, IF... this season does well.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 08 Mar 2012, 23:17

Graham wrote:
Nanosauromo wrote:
Graham wrote:We'll know for next time!

If you don't mind, can you explain how "doing well" is to be measured? I'd like to do what I can to ensure there's more of this, and that you guys get paid for it.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 08 Mar 2012, 23:39

I think someone just has to walk into wizards of the coast and say "I will buy all your cards because I saw that Loading ready run series" then buy all the cards.

;)
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Nirvana
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Planet

Postby Nirvana » 08 Mar 2012, 23:46

This video was pure awesome.

The scariest thing for me is I knew a guy that went full tilt after a game. Someone in a tournament after a terrible run of luck decided the best course of action was to stand up, scream "I LOVE THIS GAME!" and toss his deck at the nearest wall.
Check out my weekly WWE RAW reviews at http://www.RingsideAcademy.com
DarkAbyssKeeper
First Video: Echo

Postby DarkAbyssKeeper » 09 Mar 2012, 00:22

Ugh.. that moment when you get a combo out but haven't left yourself room to deal with threats against enchantments or artifacts.

Especially annoying if you've set up a creature combo and you have to wait through everyone else's turn to see if it lives through its summoning sickness.

Also, the finisher to that last game was brilliant.
Season's Beatings
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Season's Beatings » 09 Mar 2012, 00:25

First off let me say I really like these despite not caring a jot for Magic.

But.

What was with the weird dark bordering? Are you pulling a freddiew on us? It also seemed to fade in and out with different shots. Honestly I don't think you guys need it. I'd focus more on the cinematography itself. Maybe start storyboarding shots and aim high metaphorically speaking. Go for more moving shots, maybe some camera shake. Possibly a film grain ala Firefly to give it less of the static shot Office series feel.

Don't take this as being harsh though. Its honestly doing really well if I can laugh at it without understanding 95% of the magic references.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 09 Mar 2012, 00:40

I'm pretty sure the borders you're seeing are card sleeves.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 09 Mar 2012, 00:50

Do you guys actually go through that sort of banter with each other in games or is it just something you did for the series? Either way is cool I was just curious.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Westerfarmer
First Video: THe Job

Postby Westerfarmer » 09 Mar 2012, 01:00

Reminds me of a 9-player magic game I had with my friends on a field trip, took about 3 hours, and I won because I sacrificed all of their creatures each time it was my turn!
Season's Beatings
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Season's Beatings » 09 Mar 2012, 01:16

madAlric wrote:I'm pretty sure the borders you're seeing are card sleeves.

If you mean in the frame of the shot as a symbol for the magic cards, sure. If you mean the actual card sleeves, I know what they are. Watch it again and look at the corners of the shots. Particularly any centered on Matt.
DaktoaTheGreat
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby DaktoaTheGreat » 09 Mar 2012, 01:39

If you don't mind, can you explain how "doing well" is to be measured? I'd like to do what I can to ensure there's more of this, and that you guys get paid for it.

If "doing well" is getting people to decide to try magic after years of ignoring it, feel free to use me as a testimony. Because of Friday Nights, I decided to check out magic. I can say I'm fairly well hooked.
pearcey
First Video: not sure, before unskippable, lets play,

Postby pearcey » 09 Mar 2012, 01:42

I was soo happy to see the table flip, I was chanting "flip it, flip it!" while watching.
Cheers guys!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 09 Mar 2012, 02:49

madAlric wrote:If you don't mind, can you explain how "doing well" is to be measured? I'd like to do what I can to ensure there's more of this, and that you guys get paid for it.
We don't actually know what metric WotC is using for measurement of "well-doing", but when we find out, we'll let you know!
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 09 Mar 2012, 03:02

Graham wrote:Akyho is pretty much dead on.
We didn't know about WotC's legal restrictions before we shot, so we had to resort to blurring. Shame.

We'll know for next time!

My question is why Kathleen's commander is blurred out, at about 20 seconds in. That doesn't seem like a thing that WotC would be against appearing in the video.

Though, that said, I can't imagine that that shot with Kathleen jumping around in front of the blurred poster was quick and simple to do...

Also: is naming your decks a thing that actually happens? Because that's totally something I should be doing. Most of them would end up like Graham's deck name.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 09 Mar 2012, 03:48

Is that legal restriction also the reason why Matt gets bleeped when he loses?

Slack Mesa
First Video: Green

Postby Slack Mesa » 09 Mar 2012, 04:37

I finally got a chance to watch Friday Nights, and after viewing the first three episodes I can exclaim, "not bad!" I don't play Magic The Gardening, and all the talk of Chartreuse Decks and Mythic Rancid Planemongers is foreign to me, but each episode made me laugh nonetheless. Structuring the initial plot around a novice player was a good choice; it gave the good Doctors LRR a way to explain the game as part of the natural story flow.

Thanks to the marketing department at Whistles of the Coast, too; they're trying something innovative by letting an Internet comedy troupe build a story around their product, and I think it reflects well on the whole Whistles brand.
Nanosauromo
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby Nanosauromo » 09 Mar 2012, 04:53

Geoff_B wrote:Do you guys actually go through that sort of banter with each other in games or is it just something you did for the series? Either way is cool I was just curious.

Inane banter is point of Commander games.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 09 Mar 2012, 04:54

Are there election posters as well? :D

SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 09 Mar 2012, 06:08

Tapir12 wrote:Entertaining as usual, but I really don't think I would ever like plying Magic. It seems like nobody gets to defend themselves and that whatever someone does, someone else just undoes. I'm sure I just don't get it, but it looks incredibly frustrating to play. The skit was still funny though!

More often than not in Commander games such as that everyone is able to defend themselves TOO well, which is why they go on for so long. The speed shown in the video is mostly for comedic effect, but it can of course happen for real sometimes.
NirTivAal
First Video: I don't remember, maybe ENN?

Postby NirTivAal » 09 Mar 2012, 06:50

It's probably just me, but was calling elves "a distinct culture" a sly way of calling Quebecois a bunch of elves? I got a laugh out of it anyways.

Also, I would have liked better shots of some of the more important cards that were used. I know how to play but I don't know any of the newer cards, so I couldn't really follow what was happening in the game. I know that's not the focus of the videos but it would have been nice.
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 09 Mar 2012, 08:14

Lord Hosk wrote:Does anyone play a Bump in the night deck with a psychopez commander?

Psychopez: You may have as many bump in the nights in your hand as you desire, disregard the 4 of any card rule.

I actually trend towards Friday Nights Matt in my deck making, ie White Weenie and/or Angels.

In fact, the deck of mine my friends hated the most was my Holy Crusaders deck, knights and angels with platinium angels. My friends let the platinium angels get through, they all kept counterspells for my MoMs. Mom is such a great card.

Anyways, never having played Commander, I know want to try it. As I'm still making my first deck since the above mentioned Holy Crusaders deck in the Mirrodin days, now I have to make two...-shakes Pezzy fist of anger-
@mhasko
DuelLadyS
First Video: Unskippable

Postby DuelLadyS » 09 Mar 2012, 09:21

I feel your pain, Matt... my fiance pulls stuff like that all the time. Usually involving Sorin, actually- thanks for giving him ideas, James!

Also, I REALLY need to learn how to play commander. We trend toward two-headed giant and free-for-alls anyway, it seems like such a natural thing to do. Except I have no idea how to build a deck for it. :(
Havok4
First Video: The first Unskippable

Postby Havok4 » 09 Mar 2012, 10:41

Nice episode. Does the deck Jer was using actually have a legitimate hippo related combo or was that just to be silly?
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 09 Mar 2012, 11:59

Huh, I really don't know much about commanders. Are there special cards that people use as commanders. I know Paul had one of the pre-built decks with its big commander card, but everyone else's just looked like normal cards. For awhile, I thought commanders were the same as planeswalkers, but that's not true. I should really look into this format some time.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)

Return to “MtG”