Clubbed!

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Woland

Clubbed!

Postby Woland » 02 Apr 2012, 05:55

For one Red and "X"

"Do 2 damage to target player unless target player pays X+1, then do 4 damage to casting player, unless casting player pays X+2, then do 6 damage to target player unless target player pays ..."

Card art, please.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: Clubbed!

Postby Geoff_B » 02 Apr 2012, 06:45

Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
DuelLadyS
First Video: Unskippable

Postby DuelLadyS » 02 Apr 2012, 07:25

My gut instinct says a Clubbed card should be blue, not that I have any idea how to apply an effect that fits blue...
Woland

Postby Woland » 02 Apr 2012, 07:29

I figured red because it is direct damage. Like Lava Ax, Lightning Blast, and Lightning Bolt. In my mind the card art shows two drooling goblins repeatedly beating one another over the head with clubs, but I'm open to alternate interpretations.
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 02 Apr 2012, 08:10

Make it Blue and have it mill cards instead of direct damage.

Club soda and clubbing doesn't do so much physical damage as it is all mental, making it harder to concentrate and/or cast spells.
@mhasko
Woland

Postby Woland » 02 Apr 2012, 08:16

I was working more from the name than the actual activity. However, I see what you're doing there. I would also say you could make it black and make the damage in poison counters since, seriously, that shit be nasty.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 02 Apr 2012, 08:19

Clubbed. 2(u)(u)

Each time "Clubbed" is cast, cast all cards named "Clubbed." in your graveyard, targeting the same opponent. (That wording is a little off, it's 2am, shutup.)

Target player taps two untapped Lands, those Lands don't untap during their untap phase.

Players may pay 2 to redirect the spells target.
Each time a Player redirects the target, this cost doubles.

(And because it's not broken enough!) If a player who Redirected "Clubbed." is the target when this spell resolves, that player puts the top 20 cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Woland

Postby Woland » 02 Apr 2012, 08:28

HAHA
Woland

Postby Woland » 02 Apr 2012, 08:31

Okay, how about...
"Clubbed!" for two colorless

Target player discards two cards. Clubbed! can be redirected with another card named "Clubbed!" cast for the cost of the "Clubbed!" it is redirecting, plus one mana.
Woland

Postby Woland » 02 Apr 2012, 11:06

Also, flavor text should just read: "Baking soda"
[/puns]
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 02 Apr 2012, 11:07

Yeah, most of these would be pretty good based on my rudimentary understanding of CCG mechanics.

But you DO have to remember that there ARE some people who do NOT find that "that shit be nasty". Dunno how you'd implement the equivalent of "I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.", tho...

And can I take a moment to tell Geoff that he really needs to re-route his links if he think he can slip it through; I've got the URL almost memorized - if the filname sounds like 'keshik', I'm just not clicking. ;)
Woland

Postby Woland » 02 Apr 2012, 11:20

Individual preferences don't play into the card design. If the player doesn't like it, he can choose not to run it.
That said, I don't really like the poison counter idea, in retrospect. It doesn't communicate the whole idea of clubbing very well. It might work better with the original "Icing," were that to become a card, given the alcohol content.
I like milling rather than damage because it is more of an inconvenience than a threat. Unless you're playing against Alex, in which case it becomes a inconvenient threat.
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 02 Apr 2012, 11:59

Or unless your opponent is running Undead Alchemist.

Baking soda to zombies.
@mhasko
Woland

Postby Woland » 02 Apr 2012, 13:21

Hmmm....
Small change.

Instead, use :
"Target player discards two cards. Clubbed! can be redirected with another card named "Clubbed!" cast for the cost of the "Clubbed!" it is redirecting, plus X. If the card is redirected, target player must discard 2 + X"

That means that the first Clubbed could be one, and the second could be 12, and it would cost another "Clubbed!" and at least 13 to send it back.
Also, change to the penalty means that you can change the payoff to tapping all of your mana to counter the spell.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 02 Apr 2012, 15:57

Or

Club Soda - 1UB
Instant

You may cast this spell without paying it's mana cost if an opponent controls a spell named Club Soda on the stack.

Target player puts the top 7 cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. You gain control of all spells named Club Soda on the stack and may change the target of each.

A deck may contain up to six cards named Club Soda.
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 03 Apr 2012, 00:39

I really like Volafortis' design, but is there any way to work in the idea of finding a Club planted by someone else.
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 03 Apr 2012, 04:24

Volafortis wrote:Or

Club Soda - 1UB
Instant

You may cast this spell without paying it's mana cost if an opponent controls a spell named Club Soda on the stack.

Target player puts the top 7 cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. You gain control of all spells named Club Soda on the stack and may change the target of each.

A deck may contain up to six cards named Club Soda.

Seems legit. I'd probably make the type Instant - Trap though.
ImageImage
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 03 Apr 2012, 18:12

SilPho wrote:I really like Volafortis' design, but is there any way to work in the idea of finding a Club planted by someone else.

I was actually thinking of making it have morph that you can turn face up and cast for free when you get attacked, but it's already pretty wordy, and that would just push it over the top.
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 03 Apr 2012, 21:10

I was thinking a morph-based mechanic myself. I envisioned casting it for free when someone unmorphs something to represent you had hidden the club under their card and when they flipped it they uncovered the club, but the intent wouldn't have been obvious and the mechanic is too out of use anyway.
ImageImage
DarkAbyssKeeper
First Video: Echo

Postby DarkAbyssKeeper » 03 Apr 2012, 23:10

Clubbed UUB

Instant - Trick

Choose one; Target player discards 1 card and puts the top 2 cards from the top of their library in their graveyard for each Trick on the stack. OR Counter target Trick and put a copy of that card onto the stack, you may choose new targets but not alternatives.

What smells like baking soda?

Two blue for the mental component, one black for the dickery. Disorients and demoralizes but can be countered by itself. Plus, if you get in a counter war with this it adds up due to the nature of the stack. Yay!

The 'Trick' instant sub-type allows for extra fun with different tricks.

Return to “Video Games”