The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Re: Magic: The Gathering: Whatcha mean, there's no thread ye

Postby the_lone_bard » 06 Apr 2012, 04:09

So, my deck had some changes made to it today, chief among them being the loss of Manaliths, instead taking on some blue suns and diabolic tutors. It fared, ok. Against a modified wolfs ramp deck it won, against the normal wolfs run 'net deck it lost until two games where I just double sorins vengenced him. Against controll we called it a draw because I couldn't cast shit, and he couldn't either, and against some mongrel deck it lost after 50 minutes of playing. Only lost because he had his last dissapate in his hand against my last vengence, at which point I knew that my deck had no creatures, mill or ways to return them to my library, and he had a 1/1 and about 25 cards in library, so I conceded, rather than die to a 1/1 in 20 turns.

As for tonights draft, only one playing white, one of two playing green, still came second last because I didn't get a single white control card, and my green (Significant ammount of ramp) just got shat on my black red blue and white control.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 07 Apr 2012, 18:39

Return. To. RAVNICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 08 Apr 2012, 02:02

the_lone_bard wrote:Return. To. RAVNICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

SHIT YEAH!!!
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 08 Apr 2012, 09:53

My favorite block is returning... Ooh, happy day!
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 08 Apr 2012, 10:07

The Miracle mechanic seems determined to make top-decking a legitimate strategy rather than a bonus...

Personally I'm mostly glad that Ravnica's last installment included Goblins, so my Kuldotha Red deck could potentially live on a little longer, but we'll see.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 08 Apr 2012, 18:24

Miracle I think isn't so much a matter of top decking a legit stratagy, so much as it is determined to make red (Maybe white as well) decks that don't use heavy ramp or draw able to compete. I mean, I COULD play a Lava Axe on turn 3 if I wanted with a green red burn deck, but I can play this anytime I draw it, for 1 and I don't throw half my deck into doing it!

That said, I will be interested to see say, a green/red/whatever ramp deck with ramp and all miracle cards. Granted you can only draw one card a turn, but after a certain point you get the mana to not be bothered by it and just throw out a rites of flourishing anyway.

vazhkatsi
First Video: lrr rap

Postby vazhkatsi » 08 Apr 2012, 22:33

got to play EDH with the crew this afternoon. In my man group was myself, peoples whose names I forget(I'm very sorry, I'm terrible at names) and Matt W. I played a Sliver Legion commander, which induced varying amounts of rage in my opponents. I got about 6 slivers out at most, but past one point they all had sort of lifelink, so I gained(and then lost, and then gained again) over 200 life probably... Regardless of the rage inducing quality of my deck, I won through sheer overwhelming force, and way too much life. Thank you so much for playing with me Matt, as well as the others. this Pax was my first, and as an enforcers, my time to relax and play magic was very limited(not that I minded, I had fun being an enforcer, but my time was not spent with magic) So that game and the panel the night before were some of the highlights of my pax.
Vazhkatsi- Devils Advocate
Devils Avocado
Tall Dude
Hoopy Frood
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 09 Apr 2012, 01:39

Time Walk seems pretty good.
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 09 Apr 2012, 03:36

Miracle is NOT going to play well with blue and it will have a love hate relationship with green. Blue just has too much card control and draw to use it reliably, you could include 4 of them in your deck, but chances are you're oging to pick all four up in blue suns or something instead of as a top-deck.

BLTank
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby BLTank » 09 Apr 2012, 11:12

The interesting thing with the miracle mechanic is that you can do it during any turn, just has to be the first draw for that turn. So you can potential be castin' miracles on their turn by setting yourself up with ponder and casting think twice on their turn. Dunno how effective it will be, but I missed that part of the rule the first time I read it.
"If I wanted your opinion, I'd have told you what it was." - Stifle
unknowngamer

Postby unknowngamer » 09 Apr 2012, 13:27

My understanding of the miracle mechanic is that it comes into effect any time you would draw cards, so long as the miracle card is the first card drawn. It's entirely possible that I've completely misread this and am wrong about it, but if it works like I think it does, it might still be viable in blue draw decks. But who knows, the miracle cards of any colour might suck. The curse cards in this block were VERY hit-or-miss, miracles might end up the same.

I'm definitely going to a pre-release for this set. I haven't been playing too terribly long, and I've had to miss every pre-release so far. Though I did the Dark Ascension release at Gottacon, which was hells of fun.
Last edited by unknowngamer on 09 Apr 2012, 14:42, edited 2 times in total.
BLTank

Postby BLTank » 09 Apr 2012, 13:50

@unkowngamer According to the rules text, you can only play it WHEN you draw it (and also if its your first draw this turn). It's a replacement effect, so you if you want the miracle cost, you have to play it at that time.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 09 Apr 2012, 19:56

the_lone_bard wrote:Miracle is NOT going to play well with blue and it will have a love hate relationship with green. Blue just has too much card control and draw to use it reliably, you could include 4 of them in your deck, but chances are you're oging to pick all four up in blue suns or something instead of as a top-deck.

Miracle is going to work best with blue, it's the only color that can manipulate draws, and no one runs bulk draw in standard. You can use Ponder to set it up and Think Twice to give yourself a "top deck" during your opponents turn with it in standard. I don't know why you'd assume that it would be a four-of. I'd call it a solid singleton or two-of in standard.

But where it's really broken in Legacy. Brainstorm and Jace, the Mind Sculptor are already great cards, and pretty much all blue decks run 4 Brainstorm, and have some number of Jaces (anywhere from 1 to 4) in the board. This turns Brainstorm, which is already a pseudo Ancestral Recall, into a literal Time Walk. Combine that with the fact that at it's worst, it'll serve as a nice pitch to Force of Will, and I could see this getting crazy in decks like UW Stoneblade.
General Meh
First Video: Something on the Escapist.

Postby General Meh » 10 Apr 2012, 00:47

Played my first draft last night, ended up with a W/B Spirit token deck, the black did nothing for me. Came about 4th/5th out of 10.

As for Avacyn Restored, Jubilation Angel looks like fun.
Magic Decks -
Standard Deck: just some random fail cards.
Modern Deck: 5 colors, because less than 5 is for wimps.
BlitzRunner27
First Video: Every OS Sucks

Postby BlitzRunner27 » 11 Apr 2012, 21:32

Just bought a Fat Pack of Dark Ascension today. My first booster packs since the original Mirrodin, was quite a fun experience. Especially when the first pack I opened had a Mythic Rare in it (my first ever Mythic, as well).

Right chuffed with this one, put together a blue/white self-discard deck just so I could abuse the hell out of it. Excited to get back in to the game again
What a horrible night to have a curse.
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 11 Apr 2012, 22:18

Sorry to be the bearer or bad news man, but ARchangels light is not a great mythic. I sold 11 of them a fortnight ago for 50c each, so I could buy a pizza. Granted it can be used, but if your local scene has alot of 'net decks and the like, it will never see play.

BlitzRunner27
First Video: Every OS Sucks

Postby BlitzRunner27 » 11 Apr 2012, 22:26

I don't care if it's not that great. It was in my first booster pack in years, so it's a big deal to me. I don't play competitive, I don't read card lists, I don't follow blocks, I don't pay attention to new releases, I don't even know what the hell a "net" deck is. I just want to enjoy the card game, with some of my friends, and as a person with really poor card luck this is a really cool thing for me. Did you really have to bring me down like that? Seriously? I know it's not even close to an amazing card, but it's certainly not trash like you seem to be making it out to be.
What a horrible night to have a curse.
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 11 Apr 2012, 22:38

So we know we're returning to Ravnica soon and assuming the guild haven't had a major overhaul, we can expect their strategies. What sick Innistrad-Ravnica combination do you expect? I got three:

Lingering Souls + Orhzov: The best card in standard is in their colors, so they will be playing it a lot.

Arcane Melee + Izzit: Cheaper instants and sorceries? well, thats what we're all about.

Intangible Virtue + Selesnya: @&$^ you Wizards, @#!$ you!!

the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 11 Apr 2012, 22:48

BlitzRunner27 wrote:I don't care if it's not that great. It was in my first booster pack in years, so it's a big deal to me. I don't play competitive, I don't read card lists, I don't follow blocks, I don't pay attention to new releases, I don't even know what the hell a "net" deck is. I just want to enjoy the card game, with some of my friends, and as a person with really poor card luck this is a really cool thing for me. Did you really have to bring me down like that? Seriously? I know it's not even close to an amazing card, but it's certainly not trash like you seem to be making it out to be.

I wasn't trying to bring you down, I was just letting you know that it's not a great card. I mean, if you just like the card and want to play it then more power to you, but the current meta game is spam ALL the things, and most games will be over before you even get 8 mana, provided you aren't playing a heavy green ramp deck, in which case you won't have any cards in the graveyard to have it make an effect.

Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 12 Apr 2012, 00:04

RedNightmare wrote:So we know we're returning to Ravnica soon and assuming the guild haven't had a major overhaul

uhh about that......

In agents of artifice it is said(by jace) that the guilds are officially disbanded due to the destruction of the guildpact(which is the storyline of ravnica/guildpact/dissension).
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 12 Apr 2012, 00:14

the_lone_bard wrote:...the current meta game is spam ALL the things, and most games will be over before you even get 8 mana, provided you aren't playing a heavy green ramp deck...

And this is why I love Commander / EDH :D
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 12 Apr 2012, 00:40

Trymantha wrote:
RedNightmare wrote:So we know we're returning to Ravnica soon and assuming the guild haven't had a major overhaul

uhh about that......

In agents of artifice it is said(by jace) that the guilds are officially disbanded due to the destruction of the guildpact(which is the storyline of ravnica/guildpact/dissension).

Really? I don't read the books so I didn't know. Then I'm very curious how Ravnica looks now. Even more excited!

the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 12 Apr 2012, 07:06

SilPho wrote:
the_lone_bard wrote:...the current meta game is spam ALL the things, and most games will be over before you even get 8 mana, provided you aren't playing a heavy green ramp deck...

And this is why I love Commander / EDH :D

Oh yeah, in a vintage, singleton or commander deck it's a killer card. I mean, I'm not sure if there's an effect out there, but if there's any sort of card that could make it target all graveyards instead of just yours, imagine it in the late game!

And as for the Ravnica storyline, if 4chan is correct about such things, then the guilds are "officially" disbanded, but still prettymuch work the same. Boros are mercenarys or something now, but they're basically just changing the titles from guild to something else.

That said I would be interested to see where they take it.

And as a side note, if anyone has the Ravnica book series and wouldn't mind lending it, I'll pay for postage both ways.

Been looking for that everywhere, but all I've found is one dude who has the dissension book, and not even a single download (The downloads kick off from timespiral onwards unfortunately.)

And I think the best thing I've seen on the subject was a motivational poster with a picture of the main guardsman with the lines: "God fucking damnit, will you just let me have my afterlife already!"

BLTank

Postby BLTank » 13 Apr 2012, 09:43

Wow, the power creep in this set is the nuts. Tibalt, the 2 cmc walker? Desolate Lighthouse for my Niv Miz EDH? Cathar's Crusade might revive Tempered Steel for a couple months. Grisselbrand looks like a fun commander to tinker with, same with Gisela, Blade of Goldnight. Tamiyo, the Moon Sage looks pretty cool, although I have no idea how she fits into the Innistrad flavor (looks Kamigawa, no?). Oh man, so many possibilities in this set! What cards are you all looking forward to?
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 13 Apr 2012, 11:37

I think she's pretty clearly a Kamigawa Moonfolk (lost track of how many times that's outright stated in the Daily MTG), hopefully that means we'll be revisiting Kamigawa at some point. My ninjas will be so happy.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”