GPLP: X-Men Destiny

Graham & Paul Let's Play: Watch them play awful games.
CaptainSpam
First Video: It's Very Simple

Re: GPLP: X-Men Destiny

Postby CaptainSpam » 27 Apr 2012, 15:36

I'm still watching through the last episode, but sometime I should go back through and count how many times the "Goodbye" option in conversation trees meant anything BUT "say goodbye and leave the conversation". I mean, it really looked out of place when you climbed all the way up to Reyes, he talked about his sinister plan with the rally and the mayor and Nightcrawler and such, he's in this huge suit that's presumably armed, armored, and dangerous, AND he's being pumped full of mutant powers on demand, but the "advance the plot" option is marked "Goodbye". "Welp, that's all, Reyes! Just checking in on your evil plans! Catch you later! Goodbye!"

Maybe a "yeah, yeah, yeah, blah blah plot where's my next fight?" option would've been too blunt?
Lord Carol
First Video: How to LRR

Postby Lord Carol » 27 Apr 2012, 16:13

I decided (foolishly) to get hold of a cheap copy of Destiny and do an X-men run just see how it compares - with Chad Backpack (Adrian) and the Shadow Matter build. (Note, you turn into a flying shadow demon at the end!)

The differences are minor, at best. The only difference when you make the Brotherhood/X-men choice is that you fight mind-controlled Nightcrawler and Northstar, rather than Toad and Pyro. Also, the X-men suit is much nicer! The ending cinematic is (SPOILER, if you really care) about re-uniting the X-men and preparing for the Brotherhood's next attack - the usual!

Also, the destruction seen throughout the city (particularly at the end) is explained away by a quick line just after Gambit's hideout - apparently there was ALSO an earthquake, which caused the entire city to go to crap - even the nice new shiny buildings!

So now that's out of our systems, I'm off to play Saints Row The Third!
headband
First Video: Decadent Sports League

Postby headband » 27 Apr 2012, 19:28

You know, I wonder what the continueing adventures of Chad Football would be like? What posision of power did Magneto give him? Did he restart a mutant version of The 49ers? What do you guys think?
bawkbawkboo1
First Video: DBfH2009

Postby bawkbawkboo1 » 27 Apr 2012, 20:00

When this series starrted I was kind of baffled about why you would choose this game to LP, but it turned out really well.

Also the giant in the background at 21:00 was clearly animated by mocapping one of those air dancing men things they have at used car lots and stuff.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 27 Apr 2012, 22:27

Master Gunner wrote:I'm thinking next up is the terrible-looking game "based" in the 100 Years War they did on Unskippable a while back.

Bladestorm is the game you're thinking of, as I was thinking the same.
G-Cat50
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby G-Cat50 » 28 Apr 2012, 03:01

So a couple of final thoughts.

1. I really wish you picked the shadow abilities for Mr. Football. because despite the "pick character then pick power" thing it's obvious with the character design that they had preferred pairs. I honestly would have picked the small Asian chick (who just screams "stealth character design") and given her the density powers just to screw with the trope and have the "stoopid li'l weak gurl" actually be the tank that turns into the big rock monster and punches things to death.

2. It's a shame that you didn't try out any more of your completed power sets. I wanted to see what the rest of them gave when it came to the "completion perks"

3. I want to see the Bouncer be the GPLP that's after the next one you're doing with Brad.
In case anyone asks, the "G" stands for "Ginger"

JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 28 Apr 2012, 03:18

Chad Football found adjusting into a Brotherhood middle-management difficult, particularly when the major problems related to managing a large urban area involved hiring more accountants, and he was sidelined to waste management. After leaving the Brotherhood, amicably (There was a small office thing with a cake), Chad Football went on to own a used car lot "Obsidian Cars and Pickups". His "The Obsidian Titan has a DEAL FOR YOU" adverts won awards.
Last edited by JayBlanc on 28 Apr 2012, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 28 Apr 2012, 06:35

JayBlanc wrote:Chad Football found adjusting into a Brotherhood middle-management difficult, particularly when the major problems related to managing a large urban area involved hiring more accountants, and he was sidelined to waste management. After leaving the Brotherhood, amicably (There was a small office thing with a cake), Chad Football went on to own a used car lot "Obsidian Cars and Pickups". His "The Obidian Titan has a DEAL FOR YOU" adverts won awards.

While his "These cars are as solid as obsidion" catch phrase drew some scientific criticism, it proved to be surprisingly and unfortunately accurate.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
Laini
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Laini » 28 Apr 2012, 06:50

That game didn't seem dreadful, but certainly way more fun watching you guys playing than doing so myself.
Can't wait to see what's next, I loved Brad on the Dante's Inferno one.

One thing I would say though is often times in the X-Men Destiny LP the game volume was too loud, or your voices were too quiet and that was a bit of a shame.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 28 Apr 2012, 10:38

So you can take out sentinels by punching them in the wrist? The most exciting part of this was when you left an episode on a cliffhanger: would the bug corrupt the savegame?

Edit: Also, didn't he say he had Professor X's power in that suit? So Chad was somehow immune? because X can wipe the floor with anyone not shielded. He can make anyone not shielded wipe THEMSELVES out. Oh well, poking holes in a colander of a game I suppose.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 28 Apr 2012, 20:54

By the way, I can't seem to download the video. It plays fine, but when I investigated the download link, I got a message saying that Blip isn't letting it be downloaded. Is that something you can fix on your end?
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 28 Apr 2012, 22:34

Please check the Site News thread. This is a known issue affecting some videos. LRR is investigating probable cause.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 29 Apr 2012, 08:13

Ah, okay. Sorry, then. I'm not very good about keeping up with all the boards.

And, just to keep my post on topic, Ptangmatik: It's not /really/ explained why he's immune, but Chad does have a conversation with Magneto about how they both have some natural resistance to mind control as part of their mutant abilities.
CaptainSpam

Postby CaptainSpam » 29 Apr 2012, 08:40

G-Cat50 wrote:So a couple of final thoughts.

1. I really wish you picked the shadow abilities for Mr. Football. because despite the "pick character then pick power" thing it's obvious with the character design that they had preferred pairs. I honestly would have picked the small Asian chick (who just screams "stealth character design") and given her the density powers just to screw with the trope and have the "stoopid li'l weak gurl" actually be the tank that turns into the big rock monster and punches things to death.

Wait, hold on. Are you saying that Chads Backpack and Football AND Asian Scarf Girl all have the exact same choices of powers? So there's literally no gameplay difference between the three of them and only marginal storyline difference?
Jakale
First Video: The Job

Postby Jakale » 29 Apr 2012, 09:11

Since plothole poking is fun, where did Bastion go? Before the fight he said he was up-linked to all the giant robots and they could all become him with his powers at any time of his choosing. He's clearly not in Reyes anymore, or hiding if he is, and has no particular reason to suddenly give up. I realize they set themselves up for an endless round of boss fights with this one, but still.

Also, I like to think there was a little trouble with Chad and his outfits.
"Sir, did I really have to wear this before coming onto the roof?"
"Yes, you wearing my son's outfit was somewhat..uncomfortable. Plus, the neck guard amuses me."
"But, I've got a whole closet of costumes that I like more than this."
"Yes, about that. Some of the Brotherhood have expressed annoyance at finding you've stolen their clothes. Mystique, in particular, said she'd kill you in your sleep if she caught you at it."
"Fine, I'll stop."
The Tortured Soul

Postby The Tortured Soul » 29 Apr 2012, 09:58

CaptainSpam wrote:Wait, hold on. Are you saying that Chads Backpack and Football AND Asian Scarf Girl all have the exact same choices of powers? So there's literally no gameplay difference between the three of them and only marginal storyline difference?

Yeah. Chad Backpack could have been interestingly different. He's pre-mutant a purifier. That could have led to some interesting differences, but I don't think it does. When I looked for a Wii version on youtube the guy picked Chad Packpack and other than when he first starts fighting saying "hey I'm on you're side" to the first purifier enemies you face I don't think it's that different. That said I didn't look for an Xbox version of Chand Packpack or look much further into it (partially coz the Wii version looks like ARSE!)
posting... in england.

Reality is subjective and insanity is just a point of view

• Step 10 ???
  • Step 11 Profit
  • Step 12 Podcast
  • Step 13 Huff a Dong!
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 29 Apr 2012, 10:26

Well, you can go two ways.

Stuff out some media-license shovel-ware that gives the impression of choice and has no replay value or depth.

Or spend five years on a rich multi-layered series of games packed full of individual choices that radically alter the game world and produce a substantially different story for different styles of play.

Only *one* of those results in people mounting campaigns to get their money back and report you to the Better Business Bureau because of a three minute prologue video.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 29 Apr 2012, 11:14

Under_Score wrote:Ah, okay. Sorry, then. I'm not very good about keeping up with all the boards.

And, just to keep my post on topic, Ptangmatik: It's not /really/ explained why he's immune, but Chad does have a conversation with Magneto about how they both have some natural resistance to mind control as part of their mutant abilities.

Ah, I must have missed that Deus Ex Machina, probably distracted by all the gripping drama. Now explain the sentinel's Achilles' wrist! *wink*
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 29 Apr 2012, 11:21

Under_Score wrote:It's not /really/ explained why he's immune, but Chad does have a conversation with Magneto about how they both have some natural resistance to mind control as part of their mutant abilities.

Magneto's helmet protects him from psychic assault. When one of your oldest friends and rivals is the world's foremost telepath, you make arrangements.

I don't know how it's actually meant to work. Apparently, mind control is mitigated by the skin effect.

Cyclops, on the other hand, has no excuse. Maybe Emma is in there, shielding him.
CaptainSpam

Postby CaptainSpam » 29 Apr 2012, 14:26

The Tortured Soul wrote:Yeah. Chad Backpack could have been interestingly different. He's pre-mutant a purifier. That could have led to some interesting differences, but I don't think it does.

Scarf: "I'm a child of mutant parents. They stowed me away on a cargo ship to San Francisco in an effort to protect me from mutant persecution in my homeland. Whoopsie, looks like the persecution's just as bad here in North America, and someone's attacked a human/mutant peace rally. Guess I'd better go beat up Reyes now."

Backpack: "I'm a pro-human Purifier. I feel the mutants are an abomination to life and humanity, and they need to be stopped to return the world to normalcy. Whoopsie, looks like I've been a mutant all along. Guess I'd better go beat up Reyes now."

Football: "I just came to the rally to pick up chicks. Guess I'd better go beat up Reyes now."
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 29 Apr 2012, 15:05

Dominic Appleguard wrote:Magneto's helmet protects him from psychic assault. When one of your oldest friends and rivals is the world's foremost telepath, you make arrangements.

I know Magneto's helmet protects him too, but in that conversation of the game, he said he also had a natural immunity that he used his helmet to strengthen.
Nirvana
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Planet

Postby Nirvana » 29 Apr 2012, 21:02

That game ended the way it lived: throwing endless waves of palette swaps at you. At least it knew its purpose.

+1 point for the Alberto Del Rio comment, as I am also getting very sick of all of the 'destiny' talk.
Check out my weekly WWE RAW reviews at http://www.RingsideAcademy.com
DarkMorford
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby DarkMorford » 08 May 2012, 13:22

What equipment did you guys use to record this? I'm thinking about possibly doing a Let's Play of my own, and I'd need to get the HD capture box, at least.
http://www.twitter.com/DarkMorford

Vanilla Minecraft Server (1.11.2): minecraft.darkmorford.net
Modded Minecraft Server (DW20 1.10.2): ftb.lrrcraft.com
The Tortured Soul

Postby The Tortured Soul » 15 May 2012, 23:09

Just watched a Let's Play of the girl with dark matter powers choosing X-men. Really not much difference even the powers have some very similar upgrades (First upgrade he chose was a whirlwind attack for her that sucked enemies in, second he chose was she turned into vapour which acted very similar to Chad's ball 'cept wasn't constantly rolling third forwards he chose was a passive ability that drained enemies of life and as someone else has said the last is a Big Winged dark energy demon thing)

I've briefly watched the start of someone playing with Energy projection which does seem different as the standard attacks are homing ranged attacks which seems cool. But I stopped watching as it was PS3 not 360 so I dunno how different it might be... might look up an energy projection play through.

I have to say though I think the game does look fun, if a bit repetitive. If I ever get my hands on a cheap 360 then I'll pick it up.
posting... in england.

Reality is subjective and insanity is just a point of view

• Step 10 ???
  • Step 11 Profit
  • Step 12 Podcast
  • Step 13 Huff a Dong!

Return to “GPLP”