Menswear

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Re: Menswear

Postby Lord Chrusher » 10 May 2012, 02:51

Matt wrote:Yeah, golf shirts are typically technical fabrics. Appropriate wear for sport and basically nothing else.

See: running shoes, spandex shorts, gore-tex jackets.

-m

I admit to keeping a gore-tex jacket in my bag for when it rains here. I look out of place here unlike back in BC.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 10 May 2012, 06:20

Oh, I do, too. I don't have another rain coat yet - I'd like to get a nice trench or something like that (if my wife would let me). But I use my umbrella, too, since my technical raincoat is totally useless now.
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 10 May 2012, 07:09

I want a nice trench. I wore a long car coat all winter as my main coat, and now any time I put on my windbreaker I feel like I'm ruining whatever outfit I'm wearing.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 10 May 2012, 08:13

I really, really want a Baracuta Harrington jacket for just such a purpose (spring/fall casual wear).
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 11 May 2012, 16:43

Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 11 May 2012, 17:02

Got a pair of grey corduroy Levi's 514's on sale yesterday, and a pretty navy blue knit tie on sale today. Woo!

-m

I am not angry at you.
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 11 May 2012, 17:08

I have to improve my wardrobe at some point... seeing and hearing all this makes me feel embarrassed :P
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 11 May 2012, 20:29

metcarfre wrote:I really, really want a Baracuta Harrington jacket for just such a purpose (spring/fall casual wear).

I like the collar and pockets, but I don't like that style of waist. They emphasize my stomach too much.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 11 May 2012, 20:50

Here is the test I drew up,

and the first test run which was on a spare bib which I think will be going to Calvin at some point.

And lastly for size reference, The logo stayed the same size from the bib to the shirts so you can get an Idea.

Graham said their T-shirt guys do embroidery and do polos so it might be something they do in the near term, they have flirted with the idea a number of times.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 11 May 2012, 21:01

Mmmmm... Honestly I still find the logo a tad large there.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 11 May 2012, 21:03

its smaller on the shirt than in my initial picture, I will take a picture of the shirt I have tomorrow, but its in the closet in the room with two sleeping children and Im not waking them up to get it.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
MrPayneTrayne
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 11 May 2012, 22:16

Honestly, if it's the same one you brought to PAX I'm a big fan. Just wasn't a big fan of the pocket.
Join the LoadingReadyRunners Fitocracy group!
http://www.fitocracy.com/group/4504/

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 11 May 2012, 22:50

Yeah, I didn't like that either. The thing about it was, I was in Alaska until four days before Pax East, and the embroidery machine was/is in Illinois. I dont think the ones the crew got had pockets but I could be wrong.

So when I said "Three polo shirts, one extra large, one Large and one Medium, in white dark blue or Light blue"

Graham said the same thing "why the pocket?"

I think my mother said were on clearance for like $3.99 too.

I look forward to word from the crew about a pre-order. I will most defiantly buy a "OFFICIAL" one or three.

[–]Graham_LRR
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 May 2012, 08:21

[–]Graham_LRR
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 12 May 2012, 11:52

That logo size looks good.

I wonder if LRR is going to do it on the nice kind of polo or the t-shirt-ish kind.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 12 May 2012, 14:07

I would really hope for a descent heavy quality. The t-shity kind is just... too t-shirty.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 13 May 2012, 09:02

Yeah. I have one of that type, that has become pretty much sacrificial. I sometimes throw it on when I need to do work on a robot or something but might bump into someone important-ish. I have a decent looking flannel shirt that I think looks better and is much more effective at stopping sparks/chips/grease from getting all over me.
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 13 May 2012, 10:35

When working in a workshop, I prefer to wear a dustcoat. Makes you look like a technical person, yet not like the top boffin. Thus people let you work in peace :wink:
Last edited by Dutch guy on 13 May 2012, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 13 May 2012, 10:42

I wear a labcoat in some types of lab/workshop, but I am really uncomfortable grinding/sharpening in anything that you can't button the sleeves tighter at the wrists, and nowadays I do a little sharpening every time I'm in the shop.
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 13 May 2012, 10:49

TomBrend wrote:I wear a labcoat in some types of lab/workshop, but I am really uncomfortable grinding/sharpening in anything that you can't button the sleeves tighter at the wrists, and nowadays I do a little sharpening every time I'm in the shop.

Hence the dustcoat. Its basically a labcoat made to be worn in a workshop. Most have that tightening the sleeve possibility.
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 13 May 2012, 11:10

Oh, nice. I thought that dustcoats were just extra-long labcoats. I might have to get one, if you can adjust the wrists. I can't use synthetics in the shop, but I should be able to find one made of cotton.
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 13 May 2012, 12:23

What I mean is this sort of coat Which is basically a lab coat. This specific link is a random google image result and doesn't seem to have a closure at the wrist, but most I've seen do. (Or are easily retrofitted for it) The advantage is that these things were made as workwear, and can take a beating. The blue also nicely hides most grease and oil stains, making it a handy hand-wipe in a pinch. Then just give it a wash at 60 degrees C or higher and its good as new again.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 13 May 2012, 15:39

I tend to wear surgical gowns, and to a lesser extent, lab coats. All have long elastic sleeve ends that are tight around the wrist, though, which is good for layering disposable gloves over it.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 13 May 2012, 15:47

Yeah, a lot of coats that are made to be worn with gloves have the elastic ends for the sleeves for a good seal. There are also shop-coats that are made for welding that have kinda tapered ends to fit inside of welding gloves. Maybe look in that direction. I will say the elastic cuff lab coats are also usually chemically resistant, which means they have a very slick, plasticy look to them that you might not want if you don't need that level of protection.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 13 May 2012, 18:03

Dutch guy wrote:What I mean is this sort of coat Which is basically a lab coat. This specific link is a random google image result and doesn't seem to have a closure at the wrist, but most I've seen do. (Or are easily retrofitted for it) The advantage is that these things were made as workwear, and can take a beating. The blue also nicely hides most grease and oil stains, making it a handy hand-wipe in a pinch. Then just give it a wash at 60 degrees C or higher and its good as new again.

I don't think you're supposed to machine wash things that have had oil on them. It's probably the tumble dryer that is actually the problem.

Return to “General Discussion”