The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: Magic: The Gathering: Whatcha mean, there's no thread ye

Postby Kapol » 20 May 2012, 20:52

You know what feels realllly nice? When your opponent can utterly destroy you, but they stall a couple turns. And things manage to slowly come into place where you can sneak by just enough damage to kill them.

That happened while I was playing a game with a friend through an online program (not MTGO). He had 2 high-leveled creatures (from the level system of older cards I'd never seen), 3 enchantments that gave all level-up creatures +2/+2 each, and two 2/2 creatures. One had first-strike and the other had vigilance for the leveled creatures. I, on the other hand, only had a Fettergeist.

He didn't attack, thinking he had it in the bag. I was able to play a borderland ranger, get a color I needed of mana, and ended turn. He didn't attack again, even though I was already at 8 life. I then played Geist Trapper, soul bonded with Geist trapper, and played another throw-away creature. (It was a good card, but pointless other then avoiding damage). End turn. He doesn't attack again. My turn. Play Joint Attack on the paired Geist cards, bringing them up to 5 strength each, then played Ghostform to effect them both. Swing for 10, just enough to finish the game.

Moral of the story: Never hold out a win just to brag. Sorry for the boring story, it just felt so good to see him slowly let me beat him. :idea:
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 21 May 2012, 13:17

Why is it there is always a card you don't want to draw until you're well into the game, and you always end up drawing it in your opening hand or on your first turn?

Case in point: I have one Entreat the Angels, and naturally I don't want to draw it until at least turn 4 because that's when the mana will be at the right level.

So of course it's always one of the first cards that comes out.

Conversely a card that I do want early on (for purposes of ramping etc) almost never comes out at the start.

Come on, probability, what gives?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 21 May 2012, 13:21

I find it more annoying when I know from the start the card I need and it never makes an appearance.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 21 May 2012, 13:44

What irks me most is when I get a really good card in my sealed or draft deck, and I never draw it all day. This has happened more times than I care to remember.

Edit: Just seen CrabCore for the first time. My ears hurt.
Second Edit: That first edit was supposed to be in a very, very different thread.
Last edited by SilPho on 22 May 2012, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 21 May 2012, 14:08

This weekend I learned a very important lesson. While I may be about average at my local FNM, MTGO drafts and sealeds have players who are much better than I am. It is not worth 15 dollars to buy 3 packs of digital objects when I could just be patient and spend it to get (on average) 5 packs of real cards.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
vxicepickxv
First Video: The Job

Postby vxicepickxv » 21 May 2012, 15:28

SilPho wrote:What irks me most is when I get a really good card in my sealed or draft deck, and I never draw it all day. This has happened more times than I care to remember.

Edit: Just seen CrabCore for the first time. My ears hurt.
If only that Snapcaster Mage I drafted had shown up, or the Wolfhunter's Quiver to go on my diregraf captain.
Friend:Umm, I saw a cat and started clicking...
Me:You have made an accurate summary of the internet.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 May 2012, 19:22

Under_Score wrote:This weekend I learned a very important lesson. While I may be about average at my local FNM, MTGO drafts and sealeds have players who are much better than I am. It is not worth 15 dollars to buy 3 packs of digital objects when I could just be patient and spend it to get (on average) 5 packs of real cards.

I have a different experience, my local shop is owned and operated by a retired pro, who hangs out with pros, who are regulars at FNM, who rarely win.

I know im not good yet, but I surprise myself on MTGO, in my three drafts I have won one, won two, won one, and in the 6 pack sealed I went 2-2 with a CRUMMY deck.

As much as they talk crap about themselves, watching the LRR drafts has given me incite. The Academy videos aside(and even in those) they do surprisingly well. Graham James, and Jer all really seem to know what they are doing, Cam and Paul also seem very skilled but it doesn't come across as well because of their less upfront personalities.

I think there is a cross section but overall MTGO has a higher caliber of player, unfortunately like you said, it is more expensive which is irritating. While the value of the cards isnt as high on MTGO, if you put effort into it a draft only costs about $11 up front you can find packs for about $3.00 if you look around.

But then you can play against a LOT of people, I play probably 10 games a day between Planeswalker, Momir, and my really really bad constructed. All free after the initial purchase.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Preacher

Postby Preacher » 21 May 2012, 21:47

Random Question: Is there a precedent, and if so, what's the procedure for quoting magic cards in an acedemic essay? The reference guide is suspiciously non-helpful in this area.

I'm doing an essay and have quoted some of the cards flavour as well as used the cards themselves. Not quite sure who I credit, the artist mentioned on the card? Wizards of the Coast? Actual Wizards?
Last edited by Preacher on 21 May 2012, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
Do you guys mind. I'm trying to write an essay

Its probably not a good thing I feel the need to put a disclaimer after everything I say

This is a thing my and my friend run.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 21 May 2012, 21:58

Actual wizards all the way!

Nah, I believe it'd would be best to say Wizards of the Coast is the source to credit.

If you want to get very technical, you could do info like the title of the card, edition, and set it's from (basically anything that would make a difference in art-style, flavour-text, etc) and use each as a seperate credit, with Wizards of the coast being the 'publisher.' Then you can make reference to the credit in your text if that's neccessary. If you're using the art as an example, it'd be best to include the artist as well.

Of course, that would only be neccessary if you're quoting very specific things from the card. If you're just making a reference to it (like simply talking about 'Plains give you one white mana for each Plains card tapped') then it would likely be unneccessary to reference it all. If you felt the need, simply crediting WotC would likely be adequate for that purpose.
Preacher

Postby Preacher » 21 May 2012, 22:07

As I'm quoting flavour, would citing, in order, Publisher (Wizards), card title, rarity, edition, bloc, year, be correct.

Also, Gatherer is a source right? could I just use the website as a source?

Its probably not a good thing I feel the need to put a disclaimer after everything I say

Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 22 May 2012, 03:30

Generally wise to avoid citing websites where possible
Preacher

Postby Preacher » 22 May 2012, 03:41

But....But....But Wikipedia is a crediable source, it has citiations and everything

Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 22 May 2012, 03:44

It depends on at what level in your education you are at
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 22 May 2012, 03:45

And the citations are where the credibility lies, not Wikipedia. At least to Academia, Wikipedia is like giving a bunch of kindergartners scientifically-accredited papers and asking them to summarise.
Preacher

Postby Preacher » 22 May 2012, 03:59

Yeah I know. I'm actually at University, all the lecturers have put a blanket ban on wikipedia and some websites, but they don't seem to mind the odd one or two. Given the quality of this essay so far, it really can't hurt, I mean come on, I'M CITING MAGIC CARDS! That's when you have to take a step back and ask your self. "Really? Magic Cards? Can You Really Justify This?"

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 22 May 2012, 12:17

This could go here or in for the LOLs I picked here. MOST of the conversation ACTUALLY happened during gameplay on MTGO. My opponent contributed the voice of the doomsayers, the rest is mine.
I am the > he is the =

>>Mountain
=+Plains
/Turn

>>Mountain, Bloodcrazed Neonate Bloodcrazed Neonate: RAR! BITE BITE!
=="hmmm not good"
==Plains
/Turn 2

>>Forest, Rakish Heir Ray: "Hi kids, Im Ray, Ray Kisheir"
>>(BN Swings) Bloodcrazed Neonate: RAR! BITE BITE!
>>Ray: GET BIG! Neonate!
=="Ouch that was bitey!"
==Timely Renforcements three white soldier tokens
>>"Why they gotta be white soldiers? you racist?"
=="They aren't white, look at the size of their swords!"
/Turn 2

>>Mountain, Stormkirk Noble, Trusted Forcemage
>>Stormkirk Noble: "Well hello beutiful lady would you come to the dance with me?"
>>Trusted Forcemage:Oh my, you are so dashing good sir. I would love to go with you.(soulbond: nobel to forcemage)
=="well isnt he just a very proper bitey"
>>"Yes, he is quite the refined chomper"
>>"Neonate, attack!"
>>Bloodcrazed Neonate: RAR! BITE BITE!
>>Ray: You cant go alone I'll come with you!
>>Stormkirk Noble: Wait Ray don't go you'll die!
>>Soldier token1: lets go get ray!
>>Soldier token2: Is this ray AHHHHHH!
>>Soldier token3: no that was the nenate, Im with you token 1
>>Ray: (chomp) (Chomp)
>>Soldier token1+3: AHHHHHHH! The bites!
>>Ray: Oh uggg, I think one of those humans was undercooked i uhh OHH FOOD POISONING!They killed me!(thud)
==Plains, Thraben Doomsayer
==Thraben Doomsayer: thats too many biteys, I think im DOOMED
/Turn 3

>>Stormkirk Noble: Doomsayer, hear me, you dont have to be bitten, you can come join us!
==Thraben Doomsayer: Don't tempt me evil, I will face the doom
>>"Dude! Check out this Hot shamen, shes not evil shes a tree hugger!
>>Act of Treason
==Thraben Doomsayer: Sweet im on the team thats not doomed!
=="Hey come back!"
>>Attack with everyone
=="I changed my mind! Don't come back!"
>>Bloodcrazed Neonate: RAR! BITE BITE!
>>Stormkirk Noble: Come my lady, lets us do the bitey dance
>>Trusted Forcemage:Well biting is not my thing but I'll give it a try
>>Thraben Doomsayer: Your doom is me!
=="OWWW! my face!"
>>Stormkirk Noble2
>>Stormkirk Noble2:Hello Cousin, I have come to join your noble fight!
==Thraben Doomsayer: Wait more biteys you must be evil im out (Doomsayer switches back)
=="Oh now you like me?"
==Thraben Doomsayer: Sorry boss, I think the biteys have us doomed, Unless, "peasants of innistrad we are doomed!"
==Human token created
>>"that wasn't very inspirational
=="that's why only one guy showed up"
/Turn 4

End Act one[/u]
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
CompletelyUnsure
First Video: Unskippable? I found this through 0Punc.

Postby CompletelyUnsure » 22 May 2012, 19:32

Since we are rating people's decks here, how about a crack at mine? It's in the signature.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 23 May 2012, 00:36

So I've been playtesting my white AVR angel/human deck against my blue illusion/control deck, and I've come to the conclusion that blue is incredibly overpowered - Cancel, Mind Control, Unsummon - and other colours don't seem to have ways to easily counter that.

Any tips?

tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 23 May 2012, 02:01

Add removal (probably mana) and heavy aggro to your white deck. This is a pretty good breakdown of why certain decks win against others. From the sounds of it, your white deck is a pretty heavy combo deck, and needs more aggro, or more control, because your heavy control deck is beating it.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 23 May 2012, 03:02

What I'm trying to do is get a quicksilver amulet out as quickly as possible, because once that's on the table I can put big things down without the opponent being able to counter them.

Actually, while I think about it, what's the best way to deal with a mind-controlled Avacyn? I can only think of Banishing Stroke as this puts the enchantment to the bottom of the opponent's library. There's no way to destroy the enchantment due to Avacyn's ability.

vxicepickxv

Postby vxicepickxv » 23 May 2012, 12:54

Geoff_B wrote:What I'm trying to do is get a quicksilver amulet out as quickly as possible, because once that's on the table I can put big things down without the opponent being able to counter them.

Actually, while I think about it, what's the best way to deal with a mind-controlled Avacyn? I can only think of Banishing Stroke as this puts the enchantment to the bottom of the opponent's library. There's no way to destroy the enchantment due to Avacyn's ability.
That's probably the most effective way to do it. You could also try to return Avacyn to your hand, or exile one of them. Destroying it won't work. If you could get Avacyn to 0 or less toughness, you might have a shot.

In older formats you could move the enchatment, or give Avacyn protection from whatever source was enchanting her. If it was a more permanant effect such as Beguiler of Wills, you might be in trouble.
tanatoes
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby tanatoes » 23 May 2012, 17:31

Geoff_B wrote:What I'm trying to do is get a quicksilver amulet out as quickly as possible, because once that's on the table I can put big things down without the opponent being able to counter them.

Well if you're already playing with costly angels why not throw http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=240208 Bruna in your deck. Then she can suck the enchantment off when she next attacks.
-------
Why can't Wii be friends? 0639 9148 4145 6376
vxicepickxv

Postby vxicepickxv » 23 May 2012, 17:54

tanatoes wrote:

Well if you're already playing with costly angels why not throw http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=240208 Bruna in your deck. Then she can suck the enchantment off when she next attacks.
That would work, and then you could blow up the enchantment.
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 23 May 2012, 19:13

Whelp, I just had a bad experience on MTGO. My first time actually winning a match in a draft on there and the other person just kept going on and on about how I was just luck because of the "shuffler" and how I play too slow (which I do, but there's only so much I can do about that). Even when the game was over, he PMed me to keep going, so I had to block him.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 23 May 2012, 19:24

Oblivion Ring in Standard.

Outside of standard, you've got tons of options.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”