The thread of win

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Re: The thread of win

Postby dackwards d » 24 May 2012, 19:34

4yo deaf child decides he doesn't want to wear his hearing aid anymore, because 'superheroes don't wear hearing aids.' Result? The folk at Marvel sent the boy a picture of himself with Hawkeye, who does wear a hearing aid, and sent him a comic cover for a new hero named 'Blue Ear,' which is what the kid and his mum call his hearing aid.
Linky linky because it is so goddamn nerdorable.
ImageImage
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 24 May 2012, 21:54

VICTORY!

After close to three months Vanguard has finally vanquished the fallout caused by the evil month of March. Would you like to know more?

[Yes]

So, a little bit of background for the uninitiated; March was not a fun month, especially the first two days. After starting the month off with my then-girlfriend breaking up with me over Twitter of all goddamn places, which was apparently just a warning shot, the universe orchestrated a car accident that claimed the life of my Saab. Meanwhile, on a separate front, I was no longer able to keep up on the mortgage payments on my father's old house, meaning that I would have to move.

That's a whole lot of horrible shit to get thrown at you all at once.

Well, the time has finally come. As of today I'm officially calling "win" across all fronts. Fuck you, March, I've won. It's over.

On the house front there's still the threat that it will go into foreclosure, but my uncle has a friend who is a realtor that's looking into buying it. While that would be nice, I always saw that as a secondary concern to the whole "where am I going to live" thing. If you've been following my Tumblr you already know that's not an issue anymore, but I've been moved into a new place for about a month now. The apartment is in the heart of Raytown, which is already in the middle of the entire Kansas City Metro, so the new Vi Command is more-or-less in the nexus of everything. My roommate, Kate, is a girl I've known since high school who's so much like me that we've decided that we're practically siblings. I couldn't have picked a better person to room with if I tried.

Speaking of siblings, by the way, my brother got onto a train this last Monday night to go live with my mother in Arizona, meaning that I don't need to worry about him living in a box now that I don't have the house anymore.

The whole "car" thing was always the most immediate annoyance, considering that without a car my metaphorical wings were clipped and I couldn't actually go anywhere on my own. In a place as large and spread out as Kansas City, that's a problem. Even with the other driver in the accident being at fault 100% the insurance company drug things out to ridiculous lengths. Primarily because the driver was the father of the person who owned the other car and the girl decided to claim theft to cover her own ass. Thanks to that the insurance investigation couldn't be concluded and, among other things, I couldn't be given a rental car. For damn well close to three months I've had to rely off of the good will of friends, family and co-workers to get to work and back.

According to my lawyer the insurance company has finally decided to pay out on my claim. I'm yet to get details on how much I'll be getting, but it's a step in the right direction. Very early on the insurance company said that, after their investigation, they would reimburse me for every day I didn't have a car to make up for the inconvenience going off of their daily rate for renting out a car. From the "inconvenience of not having a car" money alone the bastards owe me close to $1,800.

Speaking of cars and, again, siblings, my brother signed over his car to me before he left for Arizona. I've been mobile again since Monday.

So, to recap; all of the incredibly obnoxious problems that have been plaguing me for the past few months are gone. Things are returning to normal and I'm ending up in a better position than when I first started. I owe just about all of it to an amazing group of friends and a wonderful girlfriend who saw fit to grace me with her presence when I needed it most.

With these issues solved I've been focusing on photography work again. To make up for lost time I'm digging around in my folder of high-concept ideas for shoots and I'm trying to get several of them organized. The Imageworks yet live, and dammit now that I can I'm going to get stuff done.

~V
Last edited by Vanguard on 24 May 2012, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 24 May 2012, 22:00

Congrats!
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 25 May 2012, 01:08

March is sitting in a corner twirling his moustache and going "Next year, Vanguard, next year".
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 25 May 2012, 03:36

*Lights March on fire*

NO! Never again!
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 25 May 2012, 03:52

Cross posted from the SCIENCE! thread:

After a bit too much faffing about I submitted the paper I have been working on. My officemate also submitted a paper today, a paper I am a coauthor on.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 25 May 2012, 06:29

Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 25 May 2012, 08:14

I think the best part of Van's post was that I found out he had a tumblr.

You tell March, Van! Kick him in the balls!
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 25 May 2012, 08:19

More updates on the car front; I've been given a number. The insurance company has given me an offer of $2,669 to total out Audrey, my dearly departed Saab. Considering how old she was I'm actually kind of surprised I'm getting that much.

Right now my lawyer is discussing getting my "inconvenience for not having a car" money that was promised to me very early on. If she's able to get it that'll drive the total up to $3,902 (after their fees, of course).
ImageImageImageImage
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 25 May 2012, 08:34

@Jester Titan Kitty! The takeover is starting! Flee, flee for your lives!

plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 25 May 2012, 08:56

gonna be on a gameshow! Auditioned for a local improv style gameshow here in Baltimore and got offered a slot like, five minutes into a 2 hour audition. Used the rest of the time to actually help the creators tweak the rules to make the game even more awesome. I'll post more when my show time comes up, but I'm super pumped.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 27 May 2012, 00:33

FINALLY! I have upgraded, tweaked and repaired my computer to be at the standards to play Skyrim, smoothly, on MAX settings, WITH all my mods! Including a 4-8x higher resolution mod! Breath taking!

So I caught my Moby Dick. Kinda bored now.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 27 May 2012, 00:46

Darkobra wrote:So I caught my Moby Dick. Kinda bored now.

I know how that feels.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 28 May 2012, 14:00

Huh. Looks like I'm on that awesome forum that I sadly never have time to go on anymore. How 'bout that?
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 28 May 2012, 14:24

I just spent the evening play testing/straight up playing the new D&D beta rules. They're pretty fun. :D
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 28 May 2012, 14:29

No no, you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to grab a torch and pitchfork and march on WotC headquarters!
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 28 May 2012, 14:48

Well if you really want to, you can carry two of each and march in double time. ;)
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 28 May 2012, 18:14

But then he'll get there way before the rest of the mob!
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 28 May 2012, 18:17

He's the decoy.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 28 May 2012, 19:46

Had wisdom teeth removed about a week ago. All of the wounds except the one on the lower right healed over nicely. The lower right one continued to give me grief, yield pain, and taste of decomposing blood.

There was a little spiky bit down on that side, but I figured it was just the stitches. Well, it was, but unlike the other three removal sites, it never came out.

As far as I can tell I healed around the stitch. It was causing me some significant gum irritation and not letting the wound fully heal.

Messed around with it a bit and finally yanked it out. A little blood, but I washed out the area thoroughly and even though it's still a little sore, it's definitely a lot less painful.

I'm just glad that's over with. Maybe now I won't wake up in the middle of the night anymore.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 28 May 2012, 21:08

That story really reminds me of this video. I'm sorry.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 28 May 2012, 21:15

Fayili wrote:~1600 words or 6 pages in under 2 hours, with 2 hours to spare for my in-class lit final. Chatted with some classmates in the BART station waiting for the train, caught the bus a minute after I got off the train on my way home. Good evening!

Just got the grade back. 108%. Woop woop!
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 28 May 2012, 21:58

Congrats Fayili!

And Ubergine? Yeah, that actually made me cringe.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 28 May 2012, 23:21

108%? Is that even possible?

JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 29 May 2012, 00:22

There was an extra credit question.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Return to “General Discussion”