The Body Modification thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

The Body Modification thread

Postby Avistew » 25 May 2012, 06:47

I figured we could have a thread for piercings, tattoos, scarification, whatever else exists.

Okay, to be fair, I'm starting this thread because I got my left lobe pierced a month ago and it got infected just now. I think it happens in my sleep but I don't know how to protect it at night, and I thought people might have suggestions. The jewelry in it is a labret-type barbell, 1.2mm in diameter and 14 or 16 mm long, so something like a bandaid wouldn't cover it, and I don't want to change the jewelry while it's still healing.

But I also thought, in most forums I hang out there is a thread where people showcase their tattoos and piercings, and I think they're cool to look at, so if you have one and want to share it... Here you go.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
beramode0
First Video: Questionably Legal Man

Re: The Body Modification thread

Postby beramode0 » 25 May 2012, 06:50

*Puts sunglasses on* I didn't ask for this.....
Twitter Steam Facebook
Add as a friend/Follow at your own risk.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 25 May 2012, 07:06

Infection is to be expected when you insert foreign objects into your flesh and then have the wound scar over around them. :P

That said, I'll be interested to see who among the forumites have gotten such modifications. I may not be much for decorative mods myself, and the human tech doesn't yet exist for the sorts of practical ones I would go for, but is fun to see what other folks have done, I suppose.

~Alja~
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 25 May 2012, 07:27

I'm actually thinking of getting a tattoo of a cobra coiling around my left arm and the head on my chest. And a tiger on the right side of my chest. I was also thinking of either a phoenix or a dragon on my back.

Lots of ideas for tattoos. Just no money or incentive.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 25 May 2012, 07:28

Well yes, I know infection is common :P Actually I did get my ears pierced before (both of them, that time), when I was a teenager, and they did get infected then too. I gave up and removed the earrings and they closed up, until last month of course when I had the left one re-pierced.

I figure since it's that common, other people might have experience with it, and relevant advice.

So far I'm thinking I'll get a nursing pad over my whole ear, and find a way to keep it there overnight, and that should protect the wound from rubbing against the pillow and mattress and stuff.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 25 May 2012, 07:47

I'm generally of the "no function, no way" perspective on getting piercings myself, but recently I've been musing on the notion of a tongue piercing. Anyone have any tips or advice on such an idea?
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 25 May 2012, 07:50

Relevant advice?

...maybe stop putting holes in your head? I hear it causes infections...

*snickers*

~Alja~
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 25 May 2012, 07:51

Lyinginbedmon wrote:I'm generally of the "no function, no way" perspective on getting piercings myself, but recently I've been musing on the notion of a tongue piercing. Anyone have any tips or advice on such an idea?

Neodinium magnets are all the rage.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 25 May 2012, 07:52

The advice I got when my earlobes were infected were to get a piece of cotton, soak one side of it in disinfectant and then press it against both sides of my earlobe to basically 'squeeze' the infection out. I never managed to find a good way to attach the cotton to my ear, so I basically sat there holding it around my earlobe for a while.

Though that person DID tell me to remove the jewelry while doing so.

I have been considering getting a couple of different tattoos, I'm not sure yet. I've wanted to get the silhouette of a Chinese dragon on one of my arms for a while, and while it's somewhat cheesy I've also always wanted to tattoo in a quote I like on my ankle, on the small of my back.

And I totally want a Triforce tattooed onto the back of my hand.
Last edited by Deedles on 25 May 2012, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
Hurp-De-Durp!
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 25 May 2012, 07:53

I've got both my lobes pierced and I have two helix (location reference) piercings in my left ear.

I was originally inspired at the age of 12 by a character in a webcomic I don't read anymore who had two helix piercings in each ear. My mum signed off on it, but suggested I only get it done in one ear as a test, and that I could do the other side later. Never got around to it, and the few people who see them (hair is usually in the way) seem to like the asymmetry.

To anyone who is considering a similar piercing: expect to not be able to sleep comfortably on that side for at least six months. For me it took them about a year to fully heal over. Sleeping on that side hurt a lot, and sometimes even the slightest jostling would cause it to start bleeding again. However, this may have been due in part to the fact that I got it done with a gun, not a needle (big no-no; it worked out for me, but you're at a greater risk of infection etc)

Sorry I haven't got any advice for protecting it Avistew, mine weren't infected and the pain just sort of went away over time. :(

I'd like to get an easily-hidden tattoo sometime, but I definitely don't have the money for anyone of quality at the moment.
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 25 May 2012, 08:03

I've considered getting a tattoo a couple of times, but I don't like pain and I don't know what I'd get, so I think it'd probably be a bad idea.

Deedles wrote:And I totally want a Triforce tattooed onto the back of my hand.

Okay, apart from that, that sounds awesome.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 25 May 2012, 08:05

Anyone dabbled with henna? Cost and time are my two major hesistations at this point, but maybe if I could find a way to apply it with stencils...

~Alja~
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 25 May 2012, 08:16

My friends have; it gets on everything.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 25 May 2012, 08:39

Avistew wrote:I got my left lobe pierced a month ago and it got infected just now. I think it happens in my sleep but I don't know how to protect it at night, and I thought people might have suggestions. The jewelry in it is a labret-type barbell, 1.2mm in diameter and 14 or 16 mm long, so something like a bandaid wouldn't cover it, and I don't want to change the jewelry while it's still healing.

Here is a good basic guide to piercing aftercare. Unfortunately, if it's infected, it needs to be treated, which means taking the jewelry out until the infection is dealt with.

Full disclosure: I only have one piercing. Yes, it's functional. No, I won't tell you where it is.

As far as tattoos go, I'd like to get a reinterpretation of my avatar<= on my shoulder/upper arm. I have a high-res version of it, and I'd like to have the artist do his own version, while keeping it recognizable as the original image.

I quite like tattoos, but I have a hard time defending the "pick some clipart off of the shop's wall" type of tattoos. Why not think about the tattoo, and make it something personal?
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 25 May 2012, 08:44

I've considered getting a tattoo at some point (my brother, who has many (most of which relate to his geekery) has a standing offer to pay for my first one), however I have never thought of something that seems "me" enough to be worth it. Well, other than a zeppelin, but I'm not quite sure I want to go for that yet.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 25 May 2012, 08:46

If I got one, it would probably be "Don't Forget To Be Awesome" but written in D'ni.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 25 May 2012, 08:49

So when you touch it it transports you to some other random world? That would be awesome.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 25 May 2012, 08:53

My personal rule for tattoos is that whenever I think something would make a good tattoo, I write that idea down. Then I wait five years. After waiting, if I still think it's a good idea, I get it.

So far I have no tattoos.

I mean, I have nothing against them, and I do think I would like one, but I haven't found anything I like enough to want it on me permanently.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 25 May 2012, 08:53

I've always thought of using tattoos to connect the various scars on my leg into some overall picture, but I can't figure out what it would be. I am very back at connect the dots.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 25 May 2012, 08:54

^ The London Underground map of course!
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 25 May 2012, 08:56

Yaxley wrote:My personal rule for tattoos is that whenever I think something would make a good tattoo, I write that idea down. Then I wait five years. After waiting, if I still think it's a good idea, I get it.

So far I have no tattoos.

I mean, I have nothing against them, and I do think I would like one, but I haven't found anything I like enough to want it on me permanently.

That's basically what I've done. I've used that gas mask to identify myself online for longer than I've been with my wife.

The other two things I might possibly get tattoos of are the Quake quad-damage emblem, and/or the HL/HL2 Lambda symbol.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 25 May 2012, 08:58

Ohh... I can finally play Mornington Crescent without a pdf open on my computer
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 25 May 2012, 09:03

You should be taking out the earing and applying disinfectant to the earing and the hole almost daily since piercing. Also I hope you are using a good metal.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 25 May 2012, 09:04

Lyinginbedmon wrote:I'm generally of the "no function, no way" perspective on getting piercings myself, but recently I've been musing on the notion of a tongue piercing. Anyone have any tips or advice on such an idea?

My only tip is remember you are putting a hole in your tongue and this is where food and drink goes. Risk of infection is greatly increased and when/if you ever want to remove it you will still have a hole in your tongue.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 25 May 2012, 09:13

TheRocket wrote:You should be taking out the earing and applying disinfectant to the earing and the hole almost daily since piercing. Also I hope you are using a good metal.

So you're saying aim away from junkyard scrap iron? huh... makes sense, I guess.

Return to “General Discussion”