The Body Modification thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Dibria
First Video: The Job

Re: The Body Modification thread

Postby Dibria » 25 May 2012, 10:33

My avatar is actuall the head of the fix I have tattooed on my left shoulder, never saw the appeal of piercingly but tattoos I like.

A lot of people seem to get scared over the 'will I still like it in x years' factor and that's fair but I ask what youre getting the tattoo for? For me a tattoo is a symbol of who you are, what you stand for and who you were.

Ok so after a while your views may change but do you think you'll be ashamed of who you are now? I sometimes wish that I had more detail put in to the tattoo I have or that I'd tweaked the design slightly, but I like it as is because I see it in the mirror and remember why got it, it was to prove something to myself, not anyone else. As I said on occasion I consider minor tweaks I would have made but I wouldn't change it now that I have it.

If you get a tattoo because it looks cool and that's your thing then fine, but I think you're more likely to regret it in the long run than a tattoo that means something to you.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 25 May 2012, 10:55

Neodymium would be awesome but I'm having trouble finding anywhere in the region that will actually provide implants of that nature.

For me, past function, it's mostly a case of "can I stand the pain and agony of first having something pierced into my flesh and then the healing process of months afterwards"
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 25 May 2012, 11:00

A neodynium magnet in your tongue sounds like a really terrible idea. It would make eating with cutlery significantly more difficult, for one thing.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 25 May 2012, 11:04

Lyinginbedmon wrote:Neodymium would be awesome but I'm having trouble finding anywhere in the region that will actually provide implants of that nature.

Before you go and get magnetic implants, read this.
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 25 May 2012, 11:19

I am not squeamish but those photos of cutting his thumb open made me a bit uncomfortable - also never having magnets put in my hand after reading that... Or anywhere for that matter.
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 25 May 2012, 11:25

Well, the point of that is that when the magnet breaks its casing, your body will try and break it down, and the materials in rare earth magnets are poisonous in high concentrations.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 25 May 2012, 11:56

Obviously I don't mean to get a magnetic implant in my tongue, but magnetic implants and tongue piercings are the only two I've found at all appealing (to stress, separately).

That article certainly seems compelling and makes reasonable citations to its claims, so perhaps I'm down solely to the tongue piercing option, which is alas the least functional of the pair.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 25 May 2012, 11:58

Surgically implanted magnets seem like a really bad idea to me. What if you need an MRI?

(...says the guy doing research involving surgically implanted magnets)
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 25 May 2012, 12:02

If magnets can be made safe for long-term medical use, I'll rescind my caution regarding magnetic implants, however, the most recent information I have regarding cosmetic implants of magnets came from the linked series of articles.

Give it another 5 to 10 years, Lying. There are people working on the problems with these implants.

Also, if you want functional piercings, check out these babies!
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 25 May 2012, 12:16

metcarfre wrote:Surgically implanted magnets seem like a really bad idea to me. What if you need an MRI?
Oh there's no way in hell I'm ever getting an MRI, there's more than enough metal in my bloodstream to make that an impossibility.

As for pierced glasses, whilst I do regularly need to wear sunglasses due to photo-sensitivity in my eyes, I'm not sure how good I'd feel about having them constantly stapled to my face.
Mowinckel
First Video: Bump in the night

Postby Mowinckel » 25 May 2012, 12:18

madAlric wrote:Also, if you want functional piercings, check out these babies!

O.O that's... brilliant!

I have a tattoo of my family's trading symbol from the Hanse League, I redesigned the symbol a bit.
I planed to get more but now I jsut want to build on this same tattoo and let it "grow" and be full of symbols and shapes that means something to me.
If I'm half-mad, then which do you think I consider my better half?
MrPayneTrayne
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 25 May 2012, 12:21

Still thinking about getting the Triforce tattooed on my chest, probably the winged version. But alas, still not sure if I want it. Been considering it for the past three years or so.
Join the LoadingReadyRunners Fitocracy group!
http://www.fitocracy.com/group/4504/

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 25 May 2012, 12:22

I never think about my tattoos, I just get them. Got...16? I think?

The one piece of advice I have for aftercare is DO EXACTLY AS YOUR PIERCER/TATTOOIST TELLS YOU, THEN DO IT AGAIN. The number one cause of infections at the shop I used to work at was improper aftercare. But yeah, remove the jewelry, drain that shit, clean and sanitize the FUCK out of both the piercing and the jewelry, THEN DO IT AGAIN.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 25 May 2012, 16:29

Mowinckel wrote:
madAlric wrote:Also, if you want functional piercings, check out these babies!

O.O that's... brilliant!

Actually that does look smart, however if I ever required glasses AND did that, it'd be VERY small magnetic piercing on the bridge like
but with magnets to suction the glasses onto them. Storage would be a bit awkward for when not in use though
My thoughts for body mods otherwise? Only if done professionally and have a use, though I wouldn't mind losing a limb for a prosthesis.
Tattoos though, I've considered the ghost in the shell connections on the neck as well as the cursed tattoo from Naruto with UV seal marks (though they come out more yellow/orange rather than purple from what I've read)
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 25 May 2012, 16:33

I think I've said on more than one occasion that if a reliable and safe augmentation is made for something as simple as a USB port, I'll be first in line for it.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 25 May 2012, 16:40

such as turning brain activity into something readable and usable. Hopefully no write capabilities.
Imagine HDMI capabilities, turning what you imagine into truly viewable images/videos on TV, all from a connection port on your neck.
Oh and I'd be right behind or run you down.. Depends how excited I am
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 25 May 2012, 16:41

I've heard that if you have sex at Gamestop, your baby automatically has a piercing when it's born.

I think they're going a bit over-board on the whole pre-order thing.
-Wraith
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 25 May 2012, 16:45

Wraith wrote:I've heard that if you have sex at Gamestop, your baby automatically has a piercing when it's born.

I think they're going a bit over-board on the whole pre-order thing.

Yeah, but then you gotta pay for the DLC of arms and legs, it's really not worth it. Gamestop is also male babies only. You have to find an Amazon shipping facility to bang in if you want a girl.

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 25 May 2012, 18:04

RE: Glasses Via Piercings

You do NOT want to snag those on anything! OW! OW! OW! OW! OWW! Even with detachable magnets, bad idea, bad idea!

Furthermore, aside from the novelty factor, what good are they? Glasses already have perfectly serviceable bits designed to hold them in place without requiring holes in your head. And if you snag them on something, they pop off harmlessly instead of twisting or tugging at flesh.

~Alja~
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 25 May 2012, 18:17

Not to mention that pince-nez work perfectly fine already, without magnets.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 25 May 2012, 18:25

Avistew, the best advice I can give other than good cleaning care is to sleep on the other side of your head until it heals up and well after. I have a helix piercing as well and like Aubergine's, mine took around a year or slightly more until it was healed enough for me to be comfortable sleeping on that ear (and my ear was pierced with a needle, not a gun). It still gets irritated every now and then if I sleep on the hoop the wrong way, otherwise I don't have any problems. I've also never changed earrings, in part because I made sure I liked the one I got with the piercing...I also don't know how to remove the bead and it's hard to get a good look at the side of my own head. >.<

As for tattoos, someday I may get this:
Not sure where or when, though.
dackwards d

Postby dackwards d » 25 May 2012, 19:17

I've wanted a tatt since pretty much forever, after reading the Sandman series I decided I wanted the key to hell. Several years later (3-4 months ago now) I got it, tattooed on the inside of my right wrist where I will see it constantly. Was cool, last time I went to a comic shop to buy a magic booster the hot woman behind the counter saw it and showed me the tattoo of Dream she had in the same place. I might have fallen in love a little.
ImageImage
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 25 May 2012, 19:28

Thanks for the advice anyone.

About removing the jewelry, my ear piercings got infected last time I had them done and I removed them... the wounds immediately closed, around the infection, resulting in an abscess that antibiotics wouldn't treat. This time I've been told, whatever happens, do not remove the jewelry, it's what gives the infection a place to escape.

But I cleaned the wound carefully, and because it's a bar, it's easy to move the jewelry and apply medication to the whole thing, which I did. The infection is gone now.
However I woke up without the nursing pad I had secured to my head, and sleeping on the wrong side. And I move in my sleep all the time, I know that at least from the time I wake up at night (10 to 20 times a night, always wake up in a different position) so falling asleep in a specific position won't change anything. I'd need it to be uncomfortable or painful to sleep on that ear, then when I did it in my sleep I'd just turn around automatically.

Lying, tongue piercings are similar to other piercings, but you also have to be careful about what you eat (for instance, no alcohol or tobacco or other things that can be smoked while it's healing), you have to use gentle mouthwash so that it doesn't delay healing (they should provide you with brands) and at first you're going to want to eat a bunch of ice-cream.

Afterwards, it's possible you'll have a lisp, although that's not very common.

"functional" piercings remind me of people who get rings put in so that they can be tied there. This being said, that tends to cause rejection (especially since they're usually sub-dermal to begin with) so that have to keep having it done. But since the people I've heard of doing it are masochist, I assume they don't mind getting pierced over and over again.

About the asymmetry, I got only my left ear pierced because of that. My idea is to get a second piercing in the same lobe later on, but I'll make sure it heals first. I went to the piercer yesterday and I should be back today, also went to the pharmacy, so I already have professional advice about how to heal the infection, my main concern was practical advice about how to protect the zone.

I'll see with the piercer if he can put a smaller thing in there soon so that I can just put a bandaid on it or something.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Cybertrash
First Video: Bros Clubbing Bros

Postby Cybertrash » 26 May 2012, 04:28

Piercings you say? The lack of pictures in this thread disappont me. Here are mine (apologies for slightly blurry shot):

Pretty basic ones, septum probably hurt the worst (and no, I'm not wearing a shirt, it's hot as hell in my apartment).

I'd like to get a tattoo, and a tounge piercing, but I can't figure out what motive for the first, and a timeframe where I can get away with not speaking properly for the second.
Last edited by Cybertrash on 27 May 2012, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 26 May 2012, 04:59

gcninja wrote:such as turning brain activity into something readable and usable. Hopefully no write capabilities.
Imagine HDMI capabilities, turning what you imagine into truly viewable images/videos on TV, all from a connection port on your neck.
Oh and I'd be right behind or run you down.. Depends how excited I am

That depends on how much control you have over your imagination, I would hate to be showing something to someone and then have my mind wonder, as it often does, to some... adult related material, it could be rather embarrassing.

'Ok, just let me use the imagination interface as we're not communicating this well, as you can see here the structure will be supported by... oh I am so sorry... she I just happened to see her walk past and you know how it is... she's your sister? Should I start running now or will you at least let me unplug the cable?'

Return to “General Discussion”