The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: Magic: The Gathering: Whatcha mean, there's no thread ye

Postby Lord Hosk » 23 May 2012, 19:40

Under_Score wrote:Whelp, I just had a bad experience on MTGO. My first time actually winning a match in a draft on there and the other person just kept going on and on about how I was just luck because of the "shuffler" and how I play too slow (which I do, but there's only so much I can do about that). Even when the game was over, he PMed me to keep going, so I had to block him.

There are some real jerks, I was playing in the newbie area with a guy who, based on his cards, had purchased at least three planeswalker booster packs. He told me three times that my deck sucked and I should just concede. I won and he PMed me to say "you suck and your deck sucks you just got a lucky topdeck."

Is there a "report douchbag" button somewhere I dont see because of the poor interface?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 23 May 2012, 20:17

Lord Hosk wrote:

There are some real jerks, I was playing in the newbie area with a guy who, based on his cards, had purchased at least three planeswalker booster packs. He told me three times that my deck sucked and I should just concede. I won and he PMed me to say "you suck and your deck sucks you just got a lucky topdeck."

Is there a "report douchbag" button somewhere I dont see because of the poor interface?

I kind of like the idea of if someone gets blocked enough, they get a punishment, but... I'm not sure how effective that would be. Anyways, I did end up losing match 3 because of a timeout, so it /is/ something I need to work on somehow. I'm not good about planning my moves ahead of time.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 23 May 2012, 21:22

During my avacyn game I got down to 15 seconds left in game two against a guy and just started pounding on f6 and ended up getting the win as he timed out from 1:30 left. He got stuck with a creature that gained like 5 counters or something, I dont remember what it was, but he had to place each counter on a creature.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 23 May 2012, 21:50

Happily, people seem to be pretty tolerant of delays in Momir. I can sometimes burn 15-20 seconds trying to read a card.

I'm really not going to start drafting in MTGO until I've done a couple live drafts.
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Postby Juliamon » 23 May 2012, 22:52

I feel like I've been pretty lucky in MTGO, and I've only ever gotten one sore-loser type. Though I'm not sure if it was intentional or if he just didn't know how to concede, since after a few minutes of waiting for him to declare blockers I went back into the room and saw he'd joined another game. I watched and he left the other guy hanging as well. The other guy and I started chatting in the game window and the non-conceder never responded to us, so he was either ESL and didn't understand us (and didn't know how to concede), or he was just a douche.

I play slow simply because I'm basically completely new to the game (almost everything I know I've learned from LRR) so the only drafting I've done is Cube where pretty much everyone takes awhile to make a play (since like Momir you're seeing cards you're likely not familiar with). I really liked Cube because it felt like everyone was put on an even level, and let me tell you, it feels really good to have someone compliment your deck when you've never even heard of 99% of the cards in the Cube. I highly recommend it whenever it comes back.
brb, assaulting children.
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 24 May 2012, 05:08

I never thought of cube as being better for slow players. I was always nervous about it because of how new to the game I was. If people really are just as inexperienced with the cards, then yeah, I really should try it. In the meantime, I think I might stick to paper Magic. Although... does anyone know if they'll still be running DII drafts once AVR is added in its entirety? Cuz I've got a few DKA and INS packs left over.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 May 2012, 06:55

I asked in the draft area "when will the drafts be changing to 1 Ins, 1 DKA, and 1 AVR?" two people in the room said it wont be its staying DII, and then a orc said "Avacyn Restored is a stand alone set, there will be AAA drafts added next week but DII will stick around"

I said "Avacyn resotred the third set in the innistrad block is a stand alone set?"

he said "its stand alone the Innistrad block is Innistrad and Dark Ascension."

[–]Graham_LRR
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 24 May 2012, 07:36

Okay. Ignore him then.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 24 May 2012, 11:13

I really hope we can schedule some sort of MTGO playdate. Make a run on one of the drafts and hope to face each other. Maybe run some standard games and such. The point is, I don't see people from the clan online very often, and maybe having a scheduled time to do it will get people online and let us all play together for a little bit. I know it's difficult with timezone differences, though. I'm not sure what time would work best, really.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 24 May 2012, 11:30

Geoff_B wrote:Okay. Ignore him then.

EDIT: Allow me to correct myself.

Although it's the third set of the Innistrad block, it will be a large set. This means that Innistrad Block Constructed will be composed of all three sets, but Avacyn Restored will be drafted by itself. Sealed events will use six Avacyn Restored booster packs.

So yeah, that guy was right about how it will be drafted.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 24 May 2012, 11:51

Okay that makes a bit more sense. Un-ignore him.

Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 24 May 2012, 21:45

Just built two Commander decks, plan on playing with a group of friends this weekend, tested them against each other, and it was amazingly close and epic, but Sedris ultimately won.

I'm going to be playing one, and I plan on letting a friend without a commander deck of his own borrow the other.

Decklists:

Commander: Sedris, the Traitor King

Chancellor of the Forge
Chancellor of the Spires
Conquering Manticore
Consecrated Sphinx
Evil Twin
Grave Titan
Hellspark Elemental
It That Betrays
Magma Phoenix
Malfegor
Manic Vandal
Massacre Wurm
Phantasmal Image
Phyrexian Metamorph
Snapcaster Mage
Sower of Temptation
Sphinx of Lost Truths
Sphinx of Uthuun
Thraximundar
Wrexial, the Risen Deep

Animate Dead
Batterskull
Chandra Ablaze
Control Magic
Damnation
Isochron Scepter
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Lightning Greaves
Liliana of the Veil
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
Sensei's Divining Top
Sol Ring
Sword of Fire and Ice
Umezawa's Jitte

Banefire
Bituminous Blast
Black Sun's Zenith
Blightning
Brainstorm
Brimstone Volley
Chain Lightning
Counterspell
Cruel Ultimatum
Deep Analysis
Demonic Tutor
Dread Return
Fire // Ice
Forbidden Alchemy
Go for the Throat
Hymn to Tourach
Lightning Bolt
Mystical Tutor
Plague Wind
Rise // Fall
Slave of Bolas
Temporal Mastery
Terminate
Thoughtseize
Zombify

Badlands
Blackcleave Cliffs
Bloodstained Mire
Cascade Bluffs
City of Brass
Creeping Tar Pit
Crumbling Necropolis
Darkslick Shores
Dragonskull Summit
Drowned Catacomb
Graven Cairns
Great Furnace
6 Island
Lavaclaw Reaches
4 Mountain
Mystifying Maze
Polluted Delta
Scalding Tarn
Seat of the Synod
Stensia Bloodhall
Sulfur Falls
Sunken Ruins
5 Swamp
Tectonic Edge
Underground Sea
Vault of Whispers
Volcanic Island
Wasteland

Commander: Rafiq of the Many

Acidic Slime
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Birds of Paradise
Bruna, Light of Alabaster
Consecrated Sphinx
Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
Eternal Witness
Fauna Shaman
Fiend Hunter
Frost Titan
Geist of Saint Traft
Knight of the Reliquary
Loxodon Hierarch
Magus of the Tabernacle
Noble Hierarch
Novablast Wurm
Omnath, Locus of Mana
Primeval Titan
Qasali Pridemage
Solemn Simulacrum
Snapcaster Mage
Stoneforge Mystic
Sun Titan
Tarmogoyf
Vengevine

Angelic Destiny
Armadillo Cloak
Batterskull
Day of Judgement
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Forced Worship
Ghostly Prison
Gideon Jura
Hyena Umbra
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Journey to Nowhere
Loxodon Warhammer
Luminarch Ascension
Karn Liberated
Oblivion Ring
Rancor
Spectral Flight
Spirit Away
Sword of Feast and Famine
Sword of War and Peace
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
Whispersilk Cloak

Aether Mutation
Beast Within
Brainstorm
Condemn
Disenchant
Enlightened Tutor
Green Sun's Zenith
Path to Exile
Swords to Plowshares
Treva's Charm
Voidslime
Wrath of God

Ancient Den
Ancient Ziggurat
Celestial Colonnade
Dryad Arbor
Evolving Wilds
Flooded Grove
Flooded Strand
4 Forest
Gavony Township
Hinterland Harbor
4 Island
Maze of Ith
Misty Rainforest
Moorland Haunt
Mystic Gate
Mutavault
4 Plains
Razorverge Thicket
Savannah
Seachrome Coast
Seaside Citadel
Shimmering Grotto
Stirring Wildwood
Strip Mine
Sunpetal Grove
Tree of Tales
Tropical Island
Tundra
Windswept Heath
Wooded Bastion

I think I'm going to replace the Jace, The Mind Sculptors with Jace Belerens, largely because I feel like JTMS would pull too much aggro in a multiplayer game.
Lemegeton
First Video: one of the checpoints on penny arcade

Postby Lemegeton » 25 May 2012, 14:56

finally made it to a FNM event today. was pretty fun after a while. i was in noob mode for the early rounds and totally sucked. its amazing how much i didnt pick up on playing the online versions. will def go back
unknowngamer

Postby unknowngamer » 25 May 2012, 19:37

The game night we usually run on Fridays was cancelled, and it was too late for me to go to FNM, so I picked up my first 4 packs of AVR for the hell of it.
Here's what I got:

Archangel pack 1:
Flowering Lumberknot
Malicious Intent
Elgaud Shieldmate
Hunted Ghoul
Ghoulflesh
Hanweir Lancer
Snare the Skies
Mad Prophet
Mental Agony
Spectral Prison
Ghostform
Into the Void
Lightning Prowess
Haunted Guardian
Spirit Away
Swamp

Archangel Pack 2:
Thunderbolt
Wildwood Geist
Geist Trappers
Ghoulflesh
Kruin Striker
Ghostly Flicker
Spectral Gateguards
Unhallowed Pact
Spectral Prison
Joint Assault
Thuderous Wrath
Favorable Winds
Triumph of Ferocity
Lunar Mystic
R 1/1 Human Token
Mountain

Avacyn Pack:
Thunderbolt
Butcher Ghoul
Cathedral Sanctifier
Flowering Lumberknot
Righteous Blow
Grounded
Joint Assault
Necrobite
Defang
Ghostform
Yew Spirit
Vanishment
Haunted Guardian
Stolen Goods
R 1/1 Human Token
Swamp

Griselbrand Pack:
Thraben Valiant
Bloodflow Connoisseur
Wildwood Geist
Kruin Striker
Renegade Demon
Borderland Ranger
Galvanic Alchemist
Somberwald Vigilante
Moonlight Geist
Nightshade Peddler
Druid's Familiar
Devout Chaplain
Angel's Tomb
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
Plains

I don't really have a deck that Tamiyo works in (yet) so I tried to sell it back to the owner, but he only offered $12 for it. I know stores have to make a profit selling singles, but I know I can get more than that for it. Looking at the rest of the cards, it makes sense to make another blue deck, but I can't decide between green or red for the second colour...
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 25 May 2012, 21:51

Lemegeton wrote:finally made it to a FNM event today. was pretty fun after a while. i was in noob mode for the early rounds and totally sucked. its amazing how much i didnt pick up on playing the online versions. will def go back

For my first, I went to a 'draft' FNM. The reason I like it better, as a beginner, is that it kinda gets rid of the 'pay2win' model that magic kinda has. I've yet to try sealed, but I want to.

Went to another FNM. Had fun. Didn't do AWFUL. I won one round and won three out of twelve games. Also was lucky enough to get the foil event card as well due to random luck. Plus, someone traded me a moonsilver spear event foil for basically nothing. So that was cool.

Split a fat-pack with a friend and did some 'draft' with him (though he had to leave before we could actually make decks). Ended up getting Silverblade Paladin, 2 Conjurer's Closets, Terminus, Devine Deflection, Duel Casting, and the two I'm most happy about are Tibalt The Fiend Blooded and Sigarda, Host of Herons. All and all not a bad draw.
vxicepickxv
First Video: The Job

Postby vxicepickxv » 25 May 2012, 22:04

Kapol wrote:Split a fat-pack with a friend and did some 'draft' with him (though he had to leave before we could actually make decks). Ended up getting Silverblade Paladin, 2 Conjurer's Closets, Terminus, Devine Deflection, Duel Casting, and the two I'm most happy about are Tibalt The Fiend Blooded and Sigarda, Host of Herons. All and all not a bad draw.
I'm working on a Sigarda solo creature deck, because it's damn near impossible to get rid of.
Friend:Umm, I saw a cat and started clicking...
Me:You have made an accurate summary of the internet.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 25 May 2012, 22:08

vxicepickxv wrote:I'm working on a Sigarda solo creature deck, because it's damn near impossible to get rid of.

I honestly really like her, and I think she'd go great in my white/green deck that I'm basing from the white/green starter deck I bought. The problem with that is a lot of my best green cards are currently in the primary Green/Blue deck that I built myself... which makes working on a good white/green deck difficult. Oh well.

But yea, Sigarda is a nice card. I'm really happy I was able to trade my friend for her (one of his packs had her, and he planned to keep her, but since he prefered a red/black deck he traded for... something I can't recall off hand).
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 27 May 2012, 02:01

Built a new deck, tearing apart my other two decks to do so (though I made a decklist for each to easily rebuild them). Anyone willing to give me some feedback on it? I'd like to get rid of about 13 cards to make it 60, but I just can't choose which ones I don't need. Check out my huge Deck.
tanatoes
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby tanatoes » 27 May 2012, 04:47

Kapol wrote:Built a new deck, tearing apart my other two decks to do so (though I made a decklist for each to easily rebuild them). Anyone willing to give me some feedback on it? I'd like to get rid of about 13 cards to make it 60, but I just can't choose which ones I don't need. Check out my huge Deck.

First off: a disclaimer - I am by no means an expert on such things (my record on drafting is about one win in four matches and I haven't tried standard play competitively with any of my decks yet) but I do think I see a couple refinements that could be made.

To my eye it looks like you're concentrating on humans for early drops and big angels to seal the deal, which seems reasonable to me. Your play strategy is going to be to clog the field with as many creatures as you can to overcome any defense and tap out any control deck you go up against. To that end your best cards are ones that let you bring out more humans and angels. I love Descendant's Path for this strategy since it lets you fill the field with huge things as soon as turn four - but it doesn't work too well if you have non-human non-angel creatures in your deck which will be bumped to the bottom and lost forever. So I would probably lose the wolf, wolfirs, vorstclaw and wurm. If you have an extra descendant's path or two throw them in. I'd also be very careful with Primal Surge since you only have 18 non-permanents. Be sure you count your graveyard before casting it because you could easily mill yourself out of the game if you opponent has some way to clear the board after you bring all your permanents into play.

Man. Now I want to test my decks I've built.

ETA: Ideally if your deck works the way I think it does you want four Call to Serve and four Descendant's Path. If you can lay your hand on an Avacyn she needs to be in there too to make everybody indestructible and completely dominate. Your ideal game is going to start with a one drop human on the first turn, a call to serve on the second turn (now it's a flying human angel), Descendant's Path on turn three and from then on at the end of every turn you have the potential for a free mega-angel. It needs some luck but it will be beautiful when it works.
-------
Why can't Wii be friends? 0639 9148 4145 6376
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 27 May 2012, 05:25

That deck looks very much like my own deck, but I've included Quicksilver Amulets to get big creatures out as early as possible. Seems to work well.

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 27 May 2012, 13:02

Before I go into the long, droning response, I'd like to mention I'm actually thinking of retooling the deck a bit to make it a EDH deck as well. I had to make a lot of tough cuts, and I think I could easily build a pretty solid deck around what I cut. That would, of course, use my Host Of Herons as my commander. Any thoughts on that plan?

tanatoes wrote:*snip*

Thanks for the feedback. Yea, the focus is getting the early drops from the humans, the wolf/wolfir, and so forth to give me time to build up enough mana to bring out creatures like my Host of Herons. Descendant's Path is good for this, but unfortunantly I only have one. That's kinda why I offset the cost of the big creatures with my Druids' Repositories. These can help bring my mana up every time I attack, reguardless of if I do damage or not. I also believe I only have one Call To Serve at the moment.

As for getting rid of the Wolf/ir, Wurms, and Vorstclaw... I'm not so sure about that. The thing about them is that I kept each one for a very specific reason.

The Wandering Wolf can be played early without fear of being blocked by 1/1's. It also serves as a good base for Descendant's Path to get my Wolfirs' out when they come up. The Wolfir Avengers are in due to their ability to stay on the field in case of field-clearers, as well as that flash ability (which I love for early-game play due to being able to get rid of lower creatures when they're attacking). Silverheart is in due to his massive power boost that he gives to not only himself, but whoever is soul-bonded to him. That's a lot more power I can give to any card that may be able to use it, plus another 8/8 on the field.

The Wurms are important due to their soulbond as well. If you're playing an aggro deck, or one that summons a lot of tokens that can block, the trample can be tied to any creature to keep the tiny blockers from doing anything against them.

The Vorstclaw is meant to be my big power-hitter. Combine him with my Angelic Armiments or Call to Serve, and he's studdeny a 7/7+ with flying. The trade-off being that he's the only one not really helped by Descendants' Path.

Out of those, I might be able to justify getting rid of the Wurms and Vorstclaw, but I honestly feel the Wolfs bring too much of the table to be thrown out unless need be. They might not be helped by Descendants' Path, but they're good for their own reasons. Maybe I should try to find some decent deck-finder cards from the Restored set. I'd really like to get some control counter-spells for just in case.

Also, there's one other reason I like Descendants' Path beyond it's ability. It's good for cycling through the deck. If you're getting mana-screwed, it can help get you through mana faster to the meat of your deck. So I don't think every single card needs to be focused on it.

As for Avacyn... I'd love to get one of her in my deck. But, with money being a bit tight, I'm not too sure about spending $10+ on a single card. Especially when I'm a fairly casual player who only plays at FNM against other people.

tanatoes wrote:I'd also be very careful with Primal Surge since you only have 18 non-permanents

Where'd you get that from though? I only have 11 instant or sorceries (based on what the Vault says), one of which is Surge itself. From my understanding, Artifacts and Enchantments (including Auras) count as permanants since they stay on the field. Therefore they'd be helped by the surge as much as anything.

Geoff_B wrote:That deck looks very much like my own deck, but I've included Quicksilver Amulets to get big creatures out as early as possible. Seems to work well.

Unfortunantly I don't have any Quicksilver Amulets. Right now I'm basically playing all Avacyn Restored (the few 2012 I have are from the starter deck). Mainly to make it a bit more 'future-proof' for Standard play, plus it gives me a good starting point for someone just getting into it.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 27 May 2012, 14:47

How about Abundant Growth? It costs one green mana and lets one of your lands produce a mana of any colour you wish. Might be worth a look.

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 27 May 2012, 15:42

I had considered putting some Abundant Growth in the deck. But... I just felt they weren't neccessary. The deck is already pretty big after all. I had cut them for size because it's only a two color deck, and the card itself requires a specific color to start with. So the only real use would be to replace Plains. But, if I did draw it, that's a draw that I could have gotten a Plains instead. Abundant Growth seems more suited for tri-color decks to give them move flexibility or decks with a small color splash to make sure you can play those cards to me.
guidance
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby guidance » 27 May 2012, 17:25

So I know that the 5 colors have their allied and enemy colors, but I don't know what that causes. Do the colors interact differently with each other if they are enemies vs if they are allies?
"My scythe--I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be"
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 27 May 2012, 23:13

The reason I was thinking of Abundant Growth is that once you have forests out, if you run out of green stuff to use them on you can still put them to use for white mana, or if you're not getting any plains out and you still need to play white cards.

Having said that I cut all my green except for two Rampant Growth so I have a bit of acceleration. Not all that useful most of the time but once in a while it means I can get things out a turn earlier.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”