Venting Thread Gamma

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Re: Venting Thread Gamma

Postby JustAName » 30 May 2012, 16:34

*smacks LogicSword upside the head* Better self-esteem! Now!
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 30 May 2012, 21:20

I'm tired of hurting. I moved living abodes over the weekend and my body is still crying. Between the sun-allergy that is spreading and feeling uncomfortably prickly(started out confined to only my left arm... now it's across my shoulders and starting down my right arm...) my legs are CRYING out for some relief. To much walking, standing, and carrying. I may spend tomorrow in my recliner just to give them a rest.

Okay... I'll spend tomorrow in the recliner AFTER I get my Wii working again.
The_Doctor
First Video: le cafe

Postby The_Doctor » 31 May 2012, 02:45

All the lights are out and they won't send someone to fix it til tomorrow.

On the brightside all the candles lend the place a nice ambiance, as long as it doesn't burn down.
Has Tardis, will travel
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 31 May 2012, 19:13

So at one point we had three guys who could work daytime chicken and a couple more guys in school who'd do some evening & weekend shifts.

So the new 'day' guy left to go back to working at Rona (building supplies) for more money and less stress. Fair enough, more power to him.

Then assorted people go and take vacation time so the rest of us are pushed right up to 40hr/wk (and a little beyond in some cases). Meh; the bill collectors will like the larger payments I can make from the subsequent paycheques.

Then one of the two evening guys drops a 50lb case of chicken on his hand - last I heard he was at the hospital referred to see a surgeon. :( Sucks, but life happens - hope he heals up well.

Then I get a kidney stone and miss a day shift because of it.

And now, to add insult upon injury, the OTHER day guy has let an infected cut on his finger (that he showed me last week) fester until it basically took over his whole finger; his doctor had to lance it yesterday and he's been told that he should avoid working with food (the whole finger is bandaged). Image

...and this is because the dumb fuck never washes his hands. A lot of the time he'll just simply not handle food directly (use tongs or similar), and those times where he does have to handle messy food, he'll slip some vinyl gloves on, but seriously... The number of ways you can get a minor cut on your hand (I've got three in varying stages of healing right now) in that deli are LEGION - paper cuts, scratches from the rough edge of a plastic container, the metal edge of foil cover on our casseroles, etc. etc.

So you should be washing your hands at LEAST a half-dozen times in a seven or eight-hour shift, just to clear any potential 'infiltrators' from the unnoticed breeches in your perimeter security.

And if you KNOW you've got a paper cut or similar? We have a first aid kit in the deli - two minutes to wipe a benzalkonium chloride swab over the cut then pop some ointment and a band-aid on it, then slip a glove over the whole thing; easy as lyin'!

...but NOoooooo, and so the lazy shmuck is on the disabled list, and today they asked me if I could come in tomorrow and make it eleven days in a row. (yesterday definitely was NO REST for me :P )

And so I had to say no, with all the things Zyxst and I already have planned to get done - bill payments, groceries, haircuts, shopping, etc. etc.

...and yet I feel like a heel for saying no. :(

Fuck tha Man! Image

I've even come to the miserable realization that I'm trapped - even if I leave that store and find work elsewhere, I'll never be able to shop there again (out of my own shame and guilt, I think). That really sucks because it's a good store with a few regular items on our grocery list that you just CANNOT find anywhere else in town. :(
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 31 May 2012, 20:43

I am sick of this rant about men.

"All men are dicks and arseholes and wastes of space!"
"Why are you telling ME this? So your boyfriend fucked you over! Yes it sucks! But I'm not him! And I'm not apologising for being born with a cock!"

Then she went on to tell me how men are driven by sex and power and the animal kingdom is NOTHING like that! So I went on to tell her about the wolves, tigers, lions, dolphins, salmon, praying mantis, dogs and how YES THEY ARE driven by that!

I'm not sorry I'm born with a cock. I'm sorry that you'll never see reason.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
The_Doctor
First Video: le cafe

Postby The_Doctor » 31 May 2012, 21:56

Darkobra, in my experiance that is usually a subtle hint to "give me flowers and prove me wrong".
Has Tardis, will travel
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 31 May 2012, 22:06

Well I'm married so she's barking up the wrong tree!
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
beramode0
First Video: Questionably Legal Man

Postby beramode0 » 31 May 2012, 23:43

So my dad got a new hard-drive. And as a means to free up some more space he pulled out some files that he thought was important out of the old hard drive and formatted it. One of the folders he thought that was not important was my steam folder. So with it went away all my f***ing saves. Sure some of them are on the steam cloud but a bunch of them aren't. I know that he bought it and all but he isn't the only user. He could've just asked me what files I needed out of the old files before formatting it.
Last edited by beramode0 on 01 Jun 2012, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter Steam Facebook
Add as a friend/Follow at your own risk.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 31 May 2012, 23:54

empath wrote:Long rant

??? Why is that guy even handling food in the first place? If he's got such a nasty infection he shouldn't be working anywhere near food or food preparation imho.

(And as for not washing his hands, that should be a firing offence in and of itself. It most certainly would be in any restaurant/foodprep place I've worked)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 31 May 2012, 23:55

So the slim thread of hope I've been hanging onto for the past few weeks just turned into a noose. The treatment I expected to be expensive but still affordable turned out to be far outside the reach of an unemployed student. If I asked my father for the money he'd do it gladly, but it would be a constant, indefinite drain of funds for a nonessential cause and I really can't ask that of him. Sigh. Thank god for insomnia, or I would have no chance of getting drunk on what little alcohol I have right now.
ImageImage
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 31 May 2012, 23:56

I agree. I ALWAYS wash my hands before and after cooking. No excuses. No matter what I'm handling. No matter how clean I think I am.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 01 Jun 2012, 03:54

Darkobra wrote:I agree. I ALWAYS wash my hands before and after cooking. No excuses. No matter what I'm handling. No matter how clean I think I am.

And during, depending on what I'm cooking.
empath

Postby empath » 01 Jun 2012, 04:00

Dutch guy wrote:
empath wrote:Long rant

??? Why is that guy even handling food in the first place? If he's got such a nasty infection he shouldn't be working anywhere near food or food preparation imho.

That's exactly the REASON his doctor wanted him off work. :P

It's really just his own fault he's in this state.

(And as for not washing his hands, that should be a firing offence in and of itself. It most certainly would be in any restaurant/foodprep place I've worked)

Sadly, quality is falling by the wayside as our quantity of food production and sales break records. Little things here and there are getting missed (and that may also be why I'm getting stressed out - I'm not cutting corners and consequently 'falling behind on production' Image)

Well, on the plus side, he doesn't handle food with his hands - being a fry cook, anything cooked would burn his hands; any raw food that got contaminated by him is moot as it gets cooked to 170F-185F - usually the fryer ends up cooking ANYTHING we throw in there to 200+ degrees F.(but anyways, the previous deli manager and I really got on his case for a couple of years to the point that he reflexively does things right ;)) And as for his greasy hands tracking fryer oil onto everything he uses (keypad on the steam oven, the BLEEPING cooking logs, the serving tongs, I've learned to just grab a roll of paper towel and a spray bottle of sanitizer and just wipe everything down, and replace all the utensils at the service case. :P

But now the deli's crippled as I decompress after a long 'work week', he's off until his infection is cleared, and the other chap's hand recovers that lifting a 30lb box of fries isn't going to re-injure it!

...oh, and in all the rush and bustle, they still didn't have our schedules for next week posted yet; often it'll be out on Wednesday, but invariably they'll get it up on Thursday...but now I gotta stop by/call to check today at some point. A real pain when I wanna, I dunno, make plans for anything... Image

I want a job where a) I don't deal with customers so incessantly, and 2) I can actually get 1-2 weeks notice for my work schedule so I can make doctors'/social appointments around what I work...

---

Okay, and now I have a fresh 'wtf?' vent - as I was typing this, the phone rang with "Long Distance//1-981-089-3241" Image

I picked up and said "Hello?" and got silence for a second, then assumed it was going to be some machine dialer that I get with bill collectors and the like - it reroutes on its end to a CSR when it hears someone on my end twice, so I just said "Hello?" again...

...but then an automated voice said "Good-bye." Image

I gotta go look up 981 to see if it's a new toll-free exchange or something...
Last edited by empath on 01 Jun 2012, 04:35, edited 2 times in total.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 01 Jun 2012, 04:08

madAlric wrote:
Darkobra wrote:I agree. I ALWAYS wash my hands before and after cooking. No excuses. No matter what I'm handling. No matter how clean I think I am.

And during, depending on what I'm cooking.

I think that rule applies to meat but I'm not entirely sure since I'm a vegetarian. But if I WAS to handle meat, then DEFINITELY during.

But by all means, please educate me on this fact since I intend to cook for my girlfriend who DOES eat meat. Definitely better safe than sorry.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
empath

Postby empath » 01 Jun 2012, 04:45

Oh, yeah - if you get anything on your hands while dealing with ANYTHING uncooked; wash 'em. Gov't and company food safety standards essentially take the kosher cooking regs and go on from there. My habit is I'll wash my hands whenever I enter the deli (back from break, etc) whenever I'm 'switching foods' (like prepping raw chickens to go in the oven then serving a customer, or mixing up a salad then grabbing some frozen fries to drop in the fryer) above and beyond changing the gloves I've been wearing.

And then I'll just wash my hands whenever they get ANYTHING on them - including sweat from being under gloves for a while. :)

One instance I frown about is after I've handled anything that 'Mr. Greasy' has used. :P

But if handling raw food, keep washing your hands - say you're making a salad; if you finish slicing cucumber and are then going to chop up the lettuce, wash 'em quickly before starting the new activity.

...but I always err on the side of caution, anyways. I always say to trainees "If you haven't used up an entire box of disposable gloves in a shift, you're not changing them often enough!" :)
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 01 Jun 2012, 05:13

Empath and I have largely the same rants re:working in a deli. And for reals, literally never washing your hands is a firable offense where I work.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 01 Jun 2012, 05:22

Dear neighbours, it was nice of you to sign for my package so I do t have to go pick it up from the depot, it would have been nicer if you'd taken into account you would not be in all evening... Or this morning.

I had planned to pick up the package on the way home from work today from the depot as I knew it would come when I was out and it's only round the corner from where I work - I don't begrudge them signing for it, it's technically doing me a favour. What worries me is it's a bank holiday this weekend and if they go away and my package sits in their hall until Wednesday I may murder them.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 01 Jun 2012, 08:07

empath wrote:I gotta go look up 981 to see if it's a new toll-free exchange or something...

Just looked it up for you. Area code for East Boston.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 02 Jun 2012, 01:05

Ok it's been 3 fucking days now, if you are going to sign for someone else package you should either make an effort to pass it on to them, be in for them to collect it or push a note though the letterbox.

Seriously, if you know that you will not be in for next few days but you sign for a package it's common fucking courtesy to drop off a note to tell the person you will be out so they don't have to go around every couple of hours to see if your home, perhaps even include a brief note on why you are out. You don't know if the package is urgent, perhaps I'm getting a little too wound up over this but I'm sorry, it is rude to make no effort to contact me about this.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 02 Jun 2012, 01:11

I'd be pissed off too. It's one thing to try to be decent by taking the package for you, it's just ignorant to not tell you and arrange something with you.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 02 Jun 2012, 01:31

empath wrote:Okay, and now I have a fresh 'wtf?' vent - as I was typing this, the phone rang with "Long Distance//1-981-089-3241" Image

I picked up and said "Hello?" and got silence for a second, then assumed it was going to be some machine dialer that I get with bill collectors and the like - it reroutes on its end to a CSR when it hears someone on my end twice, so I just said "Hello?" again...

...but then an automated voice said "Good-bye." Image

I gotta go look up 981 to see if it's a new toll-free exchange or something...

Probably means you're gonna die soon. Steer clear of East Boston for a few months.
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Jun 2012, 08:02

When youtube/any video pre-load advert lasts longer than the video I actually want to watch PISSES ME OFF.
empath

Postby empath » 02 Jun 2012, 08:48

Aye...and you notice that:

Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 02 Jun 2012, 10:25

3 minute long commercial.
1 minute long video.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 02 Jun 2012, 18:17

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff-

So the battery on my computer's been bad. Last summer, just after its warranty expired, the battery life decreased by about 2/3. I tend to keep it plugged in all the time anyway. But a few days ago, it stops recognizing the battery altogether. If I pop it out and back in again, I have a few seconds to plug my cord into a new socket if I want to move my laptop around the house.

I've already lost a couple things (just notepad stuff keeping track of the number of stitches, whatever) from me not realizing it wasn't plugged in earlier and it suddenly dying on me. Well I'm playing Bastion and I'm at the big final choice. And what happens? Yeah, it wasn't plugged in all the way. At least I hadn't made the choice, so I didn't miss what happened next.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Return to “General Discussion”