The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
EikoandMog
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Magic: The Gathering: Whatcha mean, there's no thread ye

Postby EikoandMog » 01 Jun 2012, 02:40

Urgh, just finished a few games that featured Doubling Season and I want to flip all the tables. Glare of Subdual/Opposition combined with that is such horseshit.

He also has Doubling Season + Opalescence + Followed Footsteps.
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 01 Jun 2012, 04:03

Eiko: You'll really hate Doubling when someone plays it with a mob of Planeswalkers. About half of them come into play ready to use their ultimate immediately, most of them with enough loyalty to survive doing so. I've played against a creatureless deck based on that combo that was pretty much unstoppable once it got some wind behind it.

Some people may remember a deck idea I thought up (though I'm sure it's been done before) based on using Liquimetal Coating/Myr Landshaper with Splinter to tear an opponent's mana base out from under their feet before they even draw it. The game plan is ideally
T1: Forest, Llanowar Elf
T2: Forest, Liquimetal Coating or Myr Landshaper
T3: Forest, use the artefacts to make one of their lands an artefact, Splinter said land, cackle maniacally as they remove every copy of that land from their library, get sad when your friends leave you.
Anyway, I finally actually made it. In a few test matches against willing volunteers it worked like a charm, with creatures like Tel Jilad Fallen (3/1 infect, protection from artefacts) putting on the pressure if the Splinters don't come while Naturalises and Glissa Sunseeker squelched their land or any would be threats. Seriously though, I need to practice my trollface for the next time I go to a mates place for some Magic.
ImageImage
EikoandMog

Postby EikoandMog » 01 Jun 2012, 05:16

I trying to think of ways to not make doubling work but not complete horseshit for the other person and... I'm failing.
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 01 Jun 2012, 06:17

I know this isn't the judge thread but I do have a side note regarding Doubling Season and Planeswalkers: They do enter the battlefield with twice as many counters as usual, but the '+' Loyalty abilities do NOT get twice as many counters on as a result of activating them.

Adding the counters is a cost, not the effect of a spell or ability.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 01 Jun 2012, 07:05

I just had my first Friday Night Magic. I had fun. We did an Innistrad block draft in which I came dead even (2-0 win, 0-2 loss, 1-1-1 draw) after creating a blue/black zombie mill deck. Then a Two Headed Giant round, where I was randomly paired with Duckay and we went 2-1, but still only came fourth. Overall, I feel I did OK.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Jun 2012, 07:27

I dont want to do a IDA draft, because im afraid I will build a good deck and then pull the wrong powerpuff girl and cry.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 01 Jun 2012, 07:40

Well, if you were to try to do a full-block draft it in the normal manner, it'd be ADI, so that wouldn't really be a problem. I guess the reverse could happen, you could crack Traft in the last pack and not be in the right colours for it, but something like that's always going to be a possibility... there's always going to be the possibility of opening a massive bomb in pack 3 that's in completely the wrong colours, and which you can't splash for...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 01 Jun 2012, 09:44

I want to try a ADI draft, but my game shop doesn't usually deviate from the suggested drafting set, which is triple AVR.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 01 Jun 2012, 12:21

... Ok, I recognise AVR as Avacyn Restored. IDA?
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Jun 2012, 12:34

Innistrad Dark Ascension, would be my guess
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 01 Jun 2012, 12:44

Innistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Restored. Like how there are DII drafts for Dark Ascension, Innistrad, Innistrad.
vxicepickxv
First Video: The Job

Postby vxicepickxv » 01 Jun 2012, 14:34

SilPho wrote:I know this isn't the judge thread but I do have a side note regarding Doubling Season and Planeswalkers: They do enter the battlefield with twice as many counters as usual, but the '+' Loyalty abilities do NOT get twice as many counters on as a result of activating them.

Adding the counters is a cost, not the effect of a spell or ability.
True, but you could proliferate and put a pair of counters on a planeswalker.
Friend:Umm, I saw a cat and started clicking...
Me:You have made an accurate summary of the internet.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 01 Jun 2012, 17:13

OK, so a question:

How do you guys sort your cards?

Right now I'm going:

Expansion (ascending by release date); then,
Rarity; then,
Colour; then,
Alphabetical.

Any other methods people are using?
EikoandMog

Postby EikoandMog » 01 Jun 2012, 18:15

Mine's roughly the same but colour before rarity.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 01 Jun 2012, 21:26

OK. Here's what I'm thinking for my revised Standard Griffin deck.

3 × Pride Guardian
3 × Midnight Duelist
4 × Griffin Rider
4 × Griffin Sentinel
4 × Assault Griffin
4 × Abbey Griffin
2 x Peregrine Griffin
2 × Silverclaw Griffin
3 × Honor of the Pure
3 × Stave Off
2 × Demystify
2 × Pacifism
24 × Plains

Thoughts? Advice? The idea is to make those 4 Griffin Riders do their work, hopefully getting one or two out early with a griffin and allowing the 4/4 fliers do their thing in the earlyish game.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 01 Jun 2012, 21:51

JackSlack wrote:OK, so a question:

How do you guys sort your cards?

Right now I'm going:

Expansion (ascending by release date); then,
Rarity; then,
Colour; then,
Alphabetical.

Any other methods people are using?

Personally, I sort them by this:

Color (Artifact/colorless, White, Green, Blue, Red, Black. Which is kinda going by my personal preference for them);
Type (creature, instant, etc, going with creatures, enchantment, auras, instants, and sorceries. Also, Creatures are devided by type (wolves together, humans together, etc);
Cost;
Favorite.

Note that I keep a seperate area for my rares, mythics, and foils which is sorted roughly the same. Though I've put many of them in the three decks I've built. Green/White, Blue/Red, and Black.

So, I went to my second standard FNM tonight. Did... pretty good actually. Got destroyed the first round due to no mana (mulliganed down to 4 cards because I said screw it, then drew none). Weird, since it was a 24 mana out of 60 cards deck. After that, I won two and lost two more.

I used 'my' deck for the FNM. I say 'my' because someone else revamped it when I asked him to look it over and, while I'd say about 3/4 of it was mine, he put in cards I didn't care for and made it a bit more to his liking. Like he included 4 abundant Growths which showed up and did little or nothing to help. I think I'll post a deck-list of the revamped and my original and ask people to compart them. But I'm going to be changing it when I get the chance.

Of course, my last opponant was a PAIN. Not because she destroyed me. Both games were pretty close. But because she took FOREVER. In the 50 minutes we had to play, we didn't even get done with a second game. It likely took us a decent amount over an hour after all was said and done for not even a full match (we had to cut it short due to time running out).

Funny thing happened though. I was considering buying Avacyn from the store. She was about $15 or so I believe. I really want one of her for my deck for obvious reasons. But I couldn't convince myself to drop that much on a single card when I just bought the Knights Vs. Dragons Duel Decks and the Aura Planechase (2012) set. I ended up buying 6 packs of cards, which I had gotten 3 before even considering buying Avacyn.

First three, the rares were first Treaterous Pit-Dweller, which I don't like to be honest. Plus I don't run my black deck often. Second was Zealous Conscipts, which I think I had one of but wasn't too bummed with it. And the third was Arcane Melee, which I have 2 of and don't care for. So wasn't pleased with them.

Fourth pack when I was leaving FNM, Harvester of Souls. Not a bad card even if I won't use it. Fifth, Revenge of the Hunted, as well as a nice Blessings of Nature. And Sixth... Avacyn. I was very happy with that.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 02 Jun 2012, 11:21

I do it as this:

Chronologically by expansion -> Collector Number (Which just happens to be alphabetical by color, in the order WUBRG)

However, I have a separate binder for planeswalkers, and a separate binder for other valuable cards.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 02 Jun 2012, 15:04

I sort by color>type>CMC, but most of my cards didn't have collector numbers on them when I stopped playing.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Jun 2012, 15:16

I sort by colour and then by alphabetical, simple and efficient assuming you know what card you're looking for, and I tend to look for qualities through Gatherer beforehand so that's usually the case.
tanatoes
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby tanatoes » 02 Jun 2012, 17:00

I had so much fun at FNM this weekend! The guy to my right was building a very specific blue/white control deck and kept passing me these massive red and black cards, with the result that I built a deck that really appealed to both my inner "Timmy" and my "Johnny" sense. Big huge creatures that were pumped by things like Homicidal Seclusion and such. SO many fun combos in this deck. At one point I was using the Moonsilver Spear to feed angels to my Bloodflow Connoisseur and at the same time doing direct damage to my opponent via Blood Artist. Bone Splinters works great with the Artist too, and to end the game I had Burn at the Stake (foil!) and Essence Harvest.

My favorite run was when I was playing against a red/green deck and had two Predator's Gambits on my Connoisseur and Homicidal Seclusion - she was a TANK with intimidate to boot.

I only won one of three rounds, but I had a total blast doing it, and could have played with this deck for hours more. Forced a third game in each of the rounds I lost, so this was probably the most games I've won so far in an FNM draft. (lot of single-minded "Spikes" at my local store - they build decks to win - not to have fun as far as I can tell. They always seem so angry!)

Full decklist: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=345567

(I declared "dragons" with the Cavern in the only game where I got it out but never, in any of the eight games I played, did my Archwing show up in my hand. Still a reasonable move, I figure since once he's in your hand you're going to want to cast him again every turn and why not be able to do it without any chance of it being countered?)
-------
Why can't Wii be friends? 0639 9148 4145 6376
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 02 Jun 2012, 19:27

tanatoes wrote:(lot of single-minded "Spikes" at my local store - they build decks to win - not to have fun as far as I can tell. They always seem so angry!)

Ug, those guys are so annoying. Especially with this set, which is apparently not a great one. They're always complaining about how miracles take no skill and they hate drafting this set. Every time, they swear they're going to stop drafting AVR, and every time I think to myself "Yes, yes! Then I won't have to deal with you!" Alas, they're always back the next week.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 03 Jun 2012, 00:12

Ow, my opponent just made a horrible misclick on MTGO... went to attack with his Bloodflow Connoisseur, but wasn't in declare attackers step... so they clicked on it to activate the sacrifice ability, and then clicked on it again, I guess because it didn't say "ATTACKING", and ended up sac'ing their Connoisseur to itself, for no benefit. Leaving them with an empty board.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 03 Jun 2012, 03:44

I make decks to win or be genuinely absurd, predominantly because while I do enjoy playing, I don't enjoy being routinely slaughtered. Same in TF2, I'll rage-quit a horrible team, but if we're at least holding our own I don't mind much because I'm having more fun that way. If I always lose it just sort of seems futile.
tanatoes
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby tanatoes » 03 Jun 2012, 06:24

I don't seem to have the knack for drafting to win yet. Oh, sure, I'd love to win some - all the losing gets monotonous - but it doesn't seem to happen. I've become resigned to the fact that I'm going to lose ninety percent of the time, so I just try to build something that will lose in an amusing and entertaining way.
-------
Why can't Wii be friends? 0639 9148 4145 6376
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 03 Jun 2012, 10:29

I was thinking that next week I will try to draft something like "red, black, green, white, blue, red, black..." or pick EVERY 1 and 2 drop I can.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”