The Avengers

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Re: The Avengers

Postby JayBlanc » 04 Jun 2012, 12:47

Matt wrote:
Elomin Sha wrote:You have to wonder how many films they will do.

Mark Ruffalo was signed for six films.

-m

This makes me all kinds of happy.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 04 Jun 2012, 15:31

Should I go back and watch either of the Eric Bana or Edward Norton Hulk movies?
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 04 Jun 2012, 15:33

Bana, I didn't like too much but my lecturer who was a Hulk fan said it was possibly the most underrated superhero film.
Norton's was decent. If you have spare time, go watch them.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Jun 2012, 16:02

The story of the bana hulk film is way too up itself, but as a piece of cinema it's very worthwhile to watch. Vastly underrated, imo.

Norton's Hulk is much more accessible and fun, and gives us the first taste of Captain America (via a super-serum powered super-soldier), and ties in signficant ways into the Stark legacy, as well as the subsequent avengers films. You'll certainly get more out of this one as a precursor to Avengers. (and it's a shame more people didn't watch it before seeing the Avs)

I never really understood people's aversion to watching these films though - especially the second one. Frankly, I thought it was a better film than Thor was.

-m

I am not angry at you.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 04 Jun 2012, 18:13

Matt wrote:I never really understood people's aversion to watching these films though - especially the second one. Frankly, I thought it was a better film than Thor was.

-m

Unfortunately, they are missing a critical component that makes movies instantly worth watching: Chris Hemsworth's arms.
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 04 Jun 2012, 20:46

Matt wrote:I never really understood people's aversion to watching these films though - especially the second one. Frankly, I thought it was a better film than Thor was.
-m

My aversion was the fact that I'd watched the previous one not long ago, and didn't really feel like watching the same origin story for a character I really didn't care about, all over again.

Even now I am only VAGUELY interested in seeing the movie, which is significantly more than I had been, previous to watch The Avengers.
#TeamKroze
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 04 Jun 2012, 21:11

Matt wrote:The story of the bana hulk film is way too up itself, but as a piece of cinema it's very worthwhile to watch. Vastly underrated, imo.

Norton's Hulk is much more accessible and fun, and gives us the first taste of Captain America (via a super-serum powered super-soldier), and ties in signficant ways into the Stark legacy, as well as the subsequent avengers films. You'll certainly get more out of this one as a precursor to Avengers. (and it's a shame more people didn't watch it before seeing the Avs)

I never really understood people's aversion to watching these films though - especially the second one. Frankly, I thought it was a better film than Thor was.

-m

Based on a previous comment like this I watched NortonHulk (still haven't seen BanaHulk) and regretted every minute of it. I mean it has some decent fight scenes and a few little continuity nods, and I guess if you really want to get all the Avengers you can while you wait for the next movie then... well, I can't in sound mind recommend this movie but I suppose you might be able to do worse.
ImageImage
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Jun 2012, 21:23

Digital Dolphin wrote:
-m

My aversion was the fact that I'd watched the previous one not long ago, and didn't really feel like watching the same origin story for a character I really didn't care about, all over again.

Even now I am only VAGUELY interested in seeing the movie, which is significantly more than I had been, previous to watch The Avengers.

Except the second one wasn't an origin story.

It was a slight retcon, because the rights reverted to marvel studios and they had to recast the actors, but they didn't reboot it, and they didn't redo the origin. It was a whole new hulk movie, that starts with Bruce Banner already on the run in South America, and set up as an near-direct sequel to the first one.

I don't know who told you it was an origin story, but that person didn't know what they were talking about.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Jun 2012, 21:27

dackwards d wrote:
Matt wrote:The story of the bana hulk film is way too up itself, but as a piece of cinema it's very worthwhile to watch. Vastly underrated, imo.

-m

Based on a previous comment like this I watched NortonHulk (still haven't seen BanaHulk) and regretted every minute of it. I mean it has some decent fight scenes and a few little continuity nods, and I guess if you really want to get all the Avengers you can while you wait for the next movie then... well, I can't in sound mind recommend this movie but I suppose you might be able to do worse.

I am literally incapable of understanding this.

It's a well put together action romp with a great cast of talent, heavily tied into the marvel cinematic universe.

It's like 2 hours of the hulk wrecking shit in astonishingly badass ways, what more do you want?

He fucking tears a car in half, and uses the halves as boxing gloves. Like, seriously!!

-m

I am not angry at you.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 04 Jun 2012, 22:37

My take:

It's not just a cinematic wreck, it's a ridiculous, waste of your time wreck. The fight scenes are so-so, the characters redefine paper thin, and the film displays little understanding of The Hulk and only slightly more of Banner.

One fight scene begins in clear sunshine and ends, minutes later, in pouring rain. Michael K Williams makes one of the most baffling cameos in history, only good for explaining why Omar went back to Baltimore before season two.

Give me Hulk any day. Also a mess, but at least a go for broke ambitious mess, instead of THAT limp effort.
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 04 Jun 2012, 22:43

Matt wrote:I don't know who told you it was an origin story, but that person didn't know what they were talking about.

-m

I don't remember who told me that either, to be honest... it's been a LONG time since then. I'm sure I'll see the movie eventually, but it really doesn't sound that interesting to me.

I've only ever enjoyed the hulk twice. Once in The Death of the Hulk, which focused heavily on Banner... and in The Avengers, which again focused heavily on Banner. I've never cared for the character in comics, or his Bana movie. It's probably just my tastes.
#TeamKroze
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Jun 2012, 23:12

JackSlack wrote:My take:

It's not just a cinematic wreck, it's a ridiculous, waste of your time wreck. The fight scenes are so-so, the characters redefine paper thin, and the film displays little understanding of The Hulk and only slightly more of Banner.

One fight scene begins in clear sunshine and ends, minutes later, in pouring rain. Michael K Williams makes one of the most baffling cameos in history, only good for explaining why Omar went back to Baltimore before season two.

Give me Hulk any day. Also a mess, but at least a go for broke ambitious mess, instead of THAT limp effort.

I disagree with you pretty strongly. But I don't see much point in hashing it out any further because neither of us is changing the others' mind.

I still think incredible hulk stands head and shoulders above most other comic book films, and even if you rate it as "worst of the avengers tie ins" it's still an above average film for the genre.

It just strikes me that everyone, not just in this thread, but in general, is hyper-critical of both hulk films. Way moreso than they are of any of the other superhero films of the last decade.

-m

I am not angry at you.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 04 Jun 2012, 23:24

Matt wrote:It just strikes me that everyone, not just in this thread, but in general, is hyper-critical of both hulk films. Way moreso than they are of any of the other superhero films of the last decade.

Oddly enough, I agree on this point, though probably to the inverse of your opinion. (I think Hulk is sorely under-rated.) But I also think he's a tough character to get right. Moviebob argued that Avengers was the first one to have it right: Being Bruce Banner is a scary, lonely existence. Being the Hulk is kind of fun. I'll go with Bob on that.

Also, the words of Film Crit Hulk.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 05 Jun 2012, 00:26

I loved how they just skipped over the origin story in Nortons movie, but if its a sequel that makes way more sense.
And Ruffalo was very good in the role, but I still haven't wrapped my head around the "I'm always angry" comment (your link helped though JackSlack)
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 05 Jun 2012, 05:47

JackSlack wrote:Michael K Williams makes one of the most baffling cameos in history, only good for explaining why Omar went back to Baltimore before season two.

Well, now I have to see it.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 05 Jun 2012, 12:23

metcarfre wrote:Well, now I have to see it.

Mostly, "Damn. Giant green rage monsters now? This city too damn weird, man."

Nothing special.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 05 Jun 2012, 12:29

Worth it.

Wait... Does this mean The Wire and Avengers take place in the same 'verse?

I'm... Gonna need some new pants.

Return to “General Discussion”