Rest in Peace, Ray Bradbury.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Rest in Peace, Ray Bradbury.

Postby plummeting_sloth » 06 Jun 2012, 10:23

A conglomerate heap of trash, that's what I am. But it burns with a high flame.

Not much else to say, except maybe use this thread to pass along you're favorite stories, or moments, to those that haven't heard them. I got the idea from a book somewhere...

http://www.jerrywbrown.com/datafile/datafile/110/ThereWillComeSoftRains_Bradbury.pdf
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Re: Rest in Peace, Ray Bradbury.

Postby JustAName » 06 Jun 2012, 12:18

One of my favorite authors. Dandelion Wine is just an excellent book.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 06 Jun 2012, 12:54

My dads a huge fan. Terrible loss.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Postby Nomadic » 06 Jun 2012, 17:09

His passing will go rather unnoticed, I fear. 'Tis a shame. He will be missed.
Successfully lurking since 1709.
UnarmedOracle
First Video: mosh pit etiquette

Postby UnarmedOracle » 06 Jun 2012, 17:16

The Paris Review posted a Bradbury interview that they began in the 1970s, abandoned, then rediscovered and finished in 2009. Best line? "I’m glad you’re back in the world. You have a different face, a different name, but the soul shining out of your face is the same ... welcome back."

http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/6012/the-art-of-fiction-no-203-ray-bradbury#.T89wFXnU__M.twitter
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 06 Jun 2012, 18:10

That was beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing that. I probably wouldn't write at all if not for him. One of the stories of which I am the proudest - even though it is not the best - is the one I tried to write in his style. I don't agree with everything he said, but then, you never do, do you? That's the beauty of it. He may be my favorite writer. He's certainly there at the top.

INTERVIEWER

How important has your sense of optimism been to your career?

BRADBURY

I don’t believe in optimism. I believe in optimal behavior. That’s a different thing. If you behave every day of your life to the top of your genetics, what can you do? Test it. Find out. You don’t know—you haven’t done it yet. You must live life at the top of your voice! At the top of your lungs shout and listen to the echoes. I learned a lesson years ago. I had some wonderful Swedish meatballs at my mother’s table with my dad and my brother and when I finished I pushed back from the table and said, God! That was beautiful. And my brother said, No, it was good. See the difference?

Action is hope. At the end of each day, when you’ve done your work, you lie there and think, Well, I’ll be damned, I did this today. It doesn’t matter how good it is, or how bad—you did it. At the end of the week you’ll have a certain amount of accumulation. At the end of a year, you look back and say, I’ll be damned, it’s been a good year.

I think everyone needs to read this, if not the whole thing. Again, thank you.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 07 Jun 2012, 04:26

Yep... that's a great interview. It's where I pulled my quote from
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.

Return to “General Discussion”