The Internet is Everywhere

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Dibria
First Video: The Job

Re: The Internet is Everywhere

Postby Dibria » 07 Jun 2012, 12:27

No, no you do not, I attend many takeaways as I am a lazy arse.

That said I'm pretty sure I could get a decent shag in while waiting at that chinese, they take forever

FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...
NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person
First Video: Door to Door

Postby NecroVale » 07 Jun 2012, 12:34

GaProgMan wrote:Walking past the prison, on the way to work?

In the middle of a heated discussion, in a restaurant (I won that one, by the way. Thank you wikipedia)?

Waiting for a friend at the train station? On a coach in the middle of the country?

Whales (train journey back from an interview)?

Sil is right. It is funnier to imagine the "weirdest place you've ever had sex."

Mostly I'm at home, on a bus, or occasionally at work.

... When I'm on the internet from something other than my computer...
Allen! wrote:I know, it confused and aroused me.
Also made me hate him more.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 07 Jun 2012, 12:44

Dutch guy wrote:
SecretsOfMoon wrote:
Fenrir wrote:If we're talking about the internet in general I have used it while on trains, while in convention centers, while hiking, while at work.....and a feck ton of other places too. All from my phone. Pretty crazy when you think about it.

Pretty crazy when you think about, until you actually think about it. Smartphones are just small computers with telephony capacities, and be prepared to kiss your using-of-internet-anywhere goodbye, as available frequencies for transmitting data over radio are running out at same time as the amount of videos of cats being transmitted into peoples phones is exponentially increasing it's welcome to clusterfuck-town, population everyone relying on wireless data.

Yawn, wireless internet connections might get a bit slower, or not speed up anymore, but it's not like it will suddenly stop working.
Seriously, this is not going to be the apocalypse a lot of people are making it out to be.

I'm almost in agreement but for two things:

1) You seem to underestimate the voracious (and spoiled-brat sense of entitlement) nature of the market for MORE AND MORE INFORMATION; we've seen this technology bloom from just about nothing (who remembers IBM's Simon? I didn't, and my dad HAD one for work) and explode in capability, customer base, and demand. I know this is anecdotal, but back around Christmastime, I'd joked to my friend about the 'condescending astronaut' meme with "I got to the moon with less computing power than what sits in your pocket; please tell me more about how 3G isn't fast enough." and he retorted right back "But it's NOT!!!" :P

It's not a case of 'it won't collapse' but more a case of people EXPECTING it to keep growing and accelerating without limit; you seem to have MUCH more faith in the common populace (acting in large groups, no less) than I do.

2) there WILL be drastic consequences for certain segments of the tech sector - some rather big whales are thriving off the gobs and gobs of money being made off that aforementioned explosive growth. When the market reaches saturation, there's gonna be another nasty 'bubble pop' with all these nauseatingly wealthy moguls screeching about the End Times' approach because they can't keep getting blood from the turnip anymore...

---

But yeah, I consider myself a bit of a 'luddite' for mobile connectivity, and I've surfed the web from my DS at a restaurant, in the waiting room at a doctor's office...I suppose the departure lounge of an airport isn't such a big thing anymore...at one point I'm gonna crack it open during a cab ride and see if I can find any unsecured "Linksys1" networks while en route. :lol:

---

As for the 'innuendo' game off of this, I'm not at all impressed...with the fact that I didn't think of it first ;^)

---

And met? Even though I *DID* go through some pretty uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms back when Hurricane Igor essentially killed my PC, your excursions sound REALLY appealing...also I'd love for you to turn into Calvin's Dad (wait...wouldn't that make you Tim? ;) )
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 07 Jun 2012, 12:49

Technology is continuing to improve, I really don't see an issue with us running out of data transmission space, you also need to remember that we can send more data with the same frequency bandwidth than we could even two years ago and the technology is constantly improving.

And this is assuming we stick to EM spectrum transmission, who knows what the future will hold? Startreck style subspace? Quantum Entanglement? Node to Node broadcasting?

Yes we can't expect technology to always be getting faster but if we stopped at our current mobile internet capability and just kept up with the number of new devices would that be so bad?
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 07 Jun 2012, 12:53

1) Nope, I don't underestimate the "but I WANT MORE!" nature of the general populace. But it's still not going to cause armegadon if we run out of frequencies. We'll never run out of bandwidth. Might just need to share it with more people. And jup, people will bitch and whine for a bit, then it becomes normal and the bitching and whining stops

2) Jup, will happen, don't care. Let the fat bastards to bust I say!
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 07 Jun 2012, 12:58

The way I see it is that even if we hit a bandwidth ceiling then we can run data node to node a la bittorrent:

(courtesy wikipedia)

Obviously not all requests can be unloaded this way but local phone calls etc. can, as well as if you node into someone sat in a coffee shop with wifi access then you have a shorter route to the internet via them rather than all the way to the cell tower.

I seem to recall some trials of similar technology being run way back in the GPRS days but it coming to none, but phones are a lot more powerful now and the desire for fast internet too. I see this as a viable future technology given the right funding and time.

Would be a bitch on battery life though.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 07 Jun 2012, 13:06

Dutch? Your idealism soothes this old, cynical heart of mine; I'm sure at least one of those bloated plutocrats will cause harm to the economy with the thrashing of his death throes. Maybe I've just been working in customer-related fields for too long... :P

...and as for the whole 'spectrum limit' issue, I just shrug and hold this up:

:twisted:
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 07 Jun 2012, 13:12

They might cause harm to the economy, and they are already charging people through the nose for data traffic. But in the end it is unlikely to seriously affect me.

(Heck, if I can help it I won't be using a smartphone for years to come)
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 13 Jun 2012, 11:01

Dutch guy wrote:1) . We'll never run out of bandwidth. Might just need to share it with more people. And jup, people will bitch and whine for a bit, then it becomes normal and the bitching and whining stops

It probably will fade in time, but during the "whining and bitching" phase at least in this country, people will elect pretty much anybody Caeser if they promise a return to the boom without having to share with anybody else. God, it'll be the same fuel price bullshit all over again.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
GaProgMan
First Video: 1337 - 64K

Postby GaProgMan » 13 Jun 2012, 11:16

I countries (and towns, in one VERY particular instance) with old physical connections, I can see it being a problem. But in "advanced" nations, I can see it being a cause for concern. I mean, bandwidth isn't, really, something that you can put a price on (in my opinion) because it's an abstract measure of an abstract entity.

That being said (and not wishing to sound like a conspiracy theorist), in this country at least, I can see why some people would theorise that a premium could be placed on bandwidth. Over the past few years, there has been a huge push to get as many people on-line as possible.

It's been, mostly, misguided. Along the lines of "x percent of the citizens have no access to The Internet, thus we can improve their quality of live by providing them with access to it. Therefore, we will fund small community groups to teach people how to get on-line. We will also fund small distribution houses. These distribution houses will sell on used computers that have been 'wiped' for discount prices. That way, the people of this country will be great, and on-line"

I say 'wiped', because I was able to recover ALL of the (presumably) confidential data that was 'wiped' from a whole bunch of them, completely by accident (running a hard drive testing utility in Linux).
Avatar image is part of Vanilla Jester's Draw-A-Thing series on LRR forumers
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 13 Jun 2012, 13:17

GaProgMan wrote:I say 'wiped', because I was able to recover ALL of the (presumably) confidential data that was 'wiped' from a whole bunch of them, completely by accident (running a hard drive testing utility in Linux).

Considering that the "wiping" in these cases most often consists of simply removing the FAT by doing a fast format this is not supprising. (Removing the File Allocation Table means the harddisk/system has no way of knowing what files are on the disk or where they are located. A simple disk checker can rebuild the fat table however)
GaProgMan

Postby GaProgMan » 13 Jun 2012, 13:46

Dutch guy wrote:
GaProgMan wrote:I say 'wiped', because I was able to recover ALL of the (presumably) confidential data that was 'wiped' from a whole bunch of them, completely by accident (running a hard drive testing utility in Linux).

Considering that the "wiping" in these cases most often consists of simply removing the FAT by doing a fast format this is not supprising. (Removing the File Allocation Table means the harddisk/system has no way of knowing what files are on the disk or where they are located. A simple disk checker can rebuild the fat table however)

When I called the company up, they'd told me that they had used a military grade wiper - you know the type, replace all sectors on the drive with "random" data, and perform several passes. They where never gonna say, "oh, you caught us doing quick formats," but I felt as though I expected more from a company that's taking terminals that used to store confidential medical records and selling them on.
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 13 Jun 2012, 14:41

Dibria wrote:I blame the Daily Mail.

Studies have shown that being away from the Internet causes Cancer.
GaProgMan

Postby GaProgMan » 13 Jun 2012, 21:16

JayBlanc wrote:
Dibria wrote:I blame the Daily Mail.

Studies have shown that being away from the Internet causes Cancer.

Studies have also shown that The Internet causes Cancer
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 13 Jun 2012, 23:33

Studies have shown that studies cause cancer.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 14 Jun 2012, 02:39

By Athena, it's like actually being in the head I f a daily mail journalist.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 14 Jun 2012, 03:05

Studies have shown that being in the head of a Daily Mail Journalist causes cancer.

plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 14 Jun 2012, 04:39

Studies have also shown that having a massive tumor pressing against the logic and morality centers of the brain cause people to become Daily Mail journalists.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 14 Jun 2012, 05:07

The Daily Mail has shown studies cause cancer!
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 14 Jun 2012, 05:22

Daily Mail has shown cancer causes gayness!
GaProgMan

Postby GaProgMan » 14 Jun 2012, 07:45

And we all know that Cancer causes paedophilia. Except when posting pictures of teen females in bikinis on the front page will get sales... then it's ok.

(Penultimate paragraph, in case you're not sure what I'm referring to Brass Eye Special)
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 14 Jun 2012, 07:47

No you're thinking of the Daily Express.

GaProgMan

Postby GaProgMan » 14 Jun 2012, 09:05

Except for that time when they printed pictures of the two Kardishan girls in bikinis, in provocative poses... That 11 and 13 year old Kardishan girls, that is. (Symmetry, it's what's for dinner)
Dibria

Postby Dibria » 14 Jun 2012, 14:52

No Daily Express cover stories are always about Princess Dianna.

Return to “General Discussion”