GPLP: Cursed Crusade

Graham & Paul Let's Play: Watch them play awful games.
Jaebird
First Video: The LHC

Re: GPLP: Cursed Crusade

Postby Jaebird » 19 Jun 2012, 20:53

I would disagree, mainly because that game is already a spoof on Zelda. It would be like Scary Movie having a Rifftrax. And then there's the lack of voice acting, and I don't think Graham or Paul are up to reading everything to the watcher. Plus, unless I'm remembering it wrong, but they have their digital recording setup for the Xbox 360.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Open for commissions.)
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 20 Jun 2012, 08:17

athorist wrote:If you want suggestions for the next GPLP, how about Bastion? I guess technically it's fairly similar to the other games you've been doing (brawling with loads of enemies - but at least there's more than 3), and there's a good variety in weapons. It took me about 8 hours to play, so that's not too long. And it looks really pretty!

When they do an LP of Cursed Crusade, I'm yelling at the characters to shut up so I can hear Brad.

If they played Bastion, I'd be yelling at G&P to shut up so I can hear the narrator.
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » 20 Jun 2012, 08:25

Dominic Appleguard wrote:
athorist wrote:If you want suggestions for the next GPLP, how about Bastion? I guess technically it's fairly similar to the other games you've been doing (brawling with loads of enemies - but at least there's more than 3), and there's a good variety in weapons. It took me about 8 hours to play, so that's not too long. And it looks really pretty!

When they do an LP of Cursed Crusade, I'm yelling at the characters to shut up so I can hear Brad.

If they played Bastion, I'd be yelling at G&P to shut up so I can hear the narrator.

This is also true.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 20 Jun 2012, 10:06

Jaebird wrote:I would disagree, mainly because that game is already a spoof on Zelda. It would be like Scary Movie having a Rifftrax. And then there's the lack of voice acting, and I don't think Graham or Paul are up to reading everything to the watcher. Plus, unless I'm remembering it wrong, but they have their digital recording setup for the Xbox 360.

I disagree with your disagreement. The game doesn't seem so much as a 'spoof' of Zelda as much as just a game mimicking (and by that I mean blatently using) Zelda's classic style. You're implying that it's making fun of Zelda. It's been a while, but that doesn't seem to really be the case. There might be some jokes but the entire game isn't something like 'Look at how stupid this is!' like spoofs are normally are. Like your Scary Movie example.

Scary Movie is a parody that bases it's entire exsitance on the horror movies it mocks existing. 3D Dot Game Heroes is a fairly solid game that holds up on it's own in my opinion.

It's not like they haven't done a non-voice acted game before. The unskippable live worked fine even though they had no VA. In fact, I'd say that makes it a BETTER choice. That way they don't have to worry so much about keeping the audio levels up and having it make their own commentary too quiet, allowing them to use the current faster setup for producing these games and just turning down the volume. I can't remember if they record in HD or not, so they'd have to look into making sure the subtitles could be seen. But I doubt that they would be hard to see to be honest.

As for the setup, I'm not sure about that. It really depends on how they have their recording software set up to handle output. If they're using componant or HDMI cables running from the system into the PC to capture the video, it shouldn't too hard to switch to a different system I would think. It's possible that it might be 360 specific though. One of the crew would have to comment on that.
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » 20 Jun 2012, 10:52

While it's true that 3D Dot Game Heroes is a blatant homage to the Legend of Zelda, much of the dialogue pokes fun at the common themes that have existed in that franchise and other RPGs. If Graham and Paul were to read them off, it would be as if they were reading from a joke book. And to that I ask, why not just play it yourself? Why have two guys, who have been doing so well with improv, read a funny game to you?*

I only used Scary Movie as an example because it was the only thing that came to mind for my analogy.

Also, Game Heroes is considered a good game. And I believe a wise man once said about bad games:

Graham wrote:I prefer them. It gives us more to work with in the downtime between obviously funny bits.

*(That was a rhetorical question. I know not everyone in the world owns a PS3.)
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 20 Jun 2012, 11:21

Jaebird wrote: And to that I ask, why not just play it yourself? Why have two guys, who have been doing so well with improv, read a funny game to you?*

Because, while there are some funny parts, there are still more then a few things that they could make fun of and play with, like building their own character from scratch, mocking the blatent Zelda gameplay, and making fun of the jokes that fall flat. It's not like I'm suggesting they just straight-up play it. I was more talking about the style they went with for Legaia. They pointed out some of the stupid parts of the cutscenes (like the long pppppppp in the stop) and made fun of the rest of the game while playing it.

Honestly, it was just a suggestion I came up with because it fit the following catagories that seemed to make it a good choice:
-Different from the other games done (not a beat-em-up/brawler or JRPG in the Legaia 2 and Venetica sense).
-Relatively short so it wouldn't drag on forever.
-Has enough customization parts that could be played with.
-No VA meaning less chance of them getting overshadowed by the game.
-While fairly solid in terms of gameplay, it's not 'good' in the sense that there would be much to distract from the G and P part of GPLP in my opinion. No distracting things like the amazing narrator from Bastion.

Of course, I don't know if it'd work that well or not given the fact that I'm not them and therefore cannot really judge how well it'd work for them. I was simply saying it might be a game they might want to look into as an option.
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » 20 Jun 2012, 11:31

Let's just wait and see what the overlords have to say about it.

I'm not necessarily hating the suggestion, I just can't imagine it being a viable game to riff on.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 20 Jun 2012, 18:23

I think there might be a need for a suggestions thread for GPLP.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 21 Jun 2012, 00:16

madAlric wrote:I think there might be a need for a suggestions thread for GPLP.
Can do!
LackingSanity
First Video: One of the Unskippables, I think.

Postby LackingSanity » 22 Jun 2012, 00:04

Brad wrote:
LackingSanity wrote:On a somewhat related note, I have a question about armour for Brad, in case he happens to browse this thread. In a museum I went to recently, there were a few suits of armour that had a hinged metal bit sticking out from the right side of the breastplate. Any idea what this is for? I could probably just google it, but this seemed like more fun.

Most likely you are talking about an arret de cuirasse, or a 'lance-rest.' It is where you couch the lance against the armour so that on impact the force is spread more evenly into the body (rather than simply wrenching the shoulder).

Thanks!
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 23 Jun 2012, 14:03

tahuds
First Video: The Future of Sex

Postby tahuds » 23 Jun 2012, 19:07

So I like to watch these on my phone and when I tried to download the ep it said something about a blip player? What shit is this?
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 24 Jun 2012, 04:18

I so wanted someone to say "Hey, Mister, can we have our Urn Back?"
angelnickl
First Video: The first Unskippable

Postby angelnickl » 24 Jun 2012, 09:57

Anyone else notice the broken hell cart at 13:41 of part 8. They must have screwed up and put the model for the hell cart in the normal world.... it is really strange.
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 26 Jun 2012, 16:20

Mysticman89 wrote:If the wait in on the scale of months rather then years, waitting for brad is likely worthwhile.

Sorry guys, doesn't look like I'm going to have another visit home for quite a while. Probably the of the later than the former.

-B
All hail the great deku tree!
Twitter
Flickr
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » 26 Jun 2012, 18:38

There needs to be a Brad soundboard :P
Mysticman89
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Mysticman89 » 26 Jun 2012, 18:41

Alright, new plan. LRR goes to Brad in a glorious trip to Europe. While doing Europ-y things, they can also do more GPLP+Brad. :P
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 26 Jun 2012, 19:01

Brad wrote:
Mysticman89 wrote:If the wait in on the scale of months rather then years, waitting for brad is likely worthwhile.

Sorry guys, doesn't look like I'm going to have another visit home for quite a while. Probably the of the later than the former.

-B

If that's the case, then I think that the best idea might just be to be done with the game entirely, depending on how long is left in it beyond what's already been recorded.
Brad

Postby Brad » 27 Jun 2012, 07:22

It is an absurdly long game. As I recall, we finished Zara before we called it a day. Still had all of the Constantinople run up and invasion to go.

I would love for LRR to come to Europe again - the last time was when I was actually in BC for a visit, and I know K&G enjoyed their time. But as for me I'm working on figuring out how to pay for food, so the 1000 pound plane ticket is well beyond me for the foreseeable future.

-B

Twitter

Flickr

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 27 Jun 2012, 07:44

I wonder, would it be doable for G&P to stream the game as they play the rest of it and have Brad watch and comment from England? Obviously it's not quite the same as being in the same room, but it would solve the whole "Atlantic Ocean and most of Canada in the way" problem.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Brad

Postby Brad » 03 Jul 2012, 01:49

I'd be willing - Alex's show uses skype or similar to pretty good effect. What'ya think Graham? Are there enough audio-ins and outs to stream through? Or something. Time difference is an issue (I'm 8 hours in the future), but we could probably work somethin out.

UPDATE though: My parents are trying to get me home for Xmas, but as that trip represents about the cost of about a year of being able to purchase groceries which I won't be able to otherwise, I gotta suggest bein' sent the money instead. They said they'd work something out - so who knows? I'm basically at the point of starting a "sponsor me to not have to choose between printing an editing copy of my paper or eating this month" drive to put donors in the acknowledgements of the PhD/Book.

Twitter

Flickr

WBAGNR
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby WBAGNR » 03 Jul 2012, 12:47

Any news on when the next episode will be released?
iamafish wrote:copping a feel is just the gentlemanly thing to do

My travel blog
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 03 Jul 2012, 19:31

I would just like to say, independent of pretty much the last 2 pages of discussion, the obscuring gore on the screen that pops up when you take a good amount of damage reminds me of nothing so much as strawberry jam. To the point where Lonestar might as well as be trying to jam your signal.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » 03 Jul 2012, 20:30

plummeting_sloth wrote:I would just like to say, independent of pretty much the last 2 pages of discussion, the obscuring gore on the screen that pops up when you take a good amount of damage reminds me of nothing so much as strawberry jam. To the point where Lonestar might as well as be trying to jam your signal.

Now I'm going to hear Michael Winslow explain the bleeps, sweeps and the creeps.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 03 Jul 2012, 21:53

The what, the what, and the what?

You know, the Bleeps: BOOP BOOP-BRRRR BOOP-BRRRR BOOP, the Sweeps: hwhwhwhwhwhwhwhwhwhwh, and the Creeps: boodoodoodooboodoop.

(that's not all he's lost)
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.

Return to “GPLP”