Ways to Find my Friends and Family's Wifi Gear

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Ways to Find my Friends and Family's Wifi Gear

Postby Paul » 07 Jul 2012, 18:03

LRRcast for a bunch of vids!
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Re: Ways to Find my Friends and Family's Wifi Gear

Postby King Kool » 07 Jul 2012, 19:47

"I see what he did there?"

No, that wasn't a reference. I saw a friend I hadn't seen in eight years about a month ago. That's what brought that on.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 07 Jul 2012, 19:59

So I guess Graham/Shaman is the reverse Fiend Hunter/Elmoin?
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Jul 2012, 21:26

Maybe its just because it is different but I like the whole slanted couch with chairs behind, I just like the framing.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
KyrieEleison
First Video: Desert Bus 5

Postby KyrieEleison » 07 Jul 2012, 23:23

Graham, I completely agree with you on NBC's Olympic coverage. Unfortunately, being stuck in the States, we are also stuck with NBC until a better network can wrestle a broadcast deal away (and keep me from seeing another of Mary Carillo's pointless puff pieces). I mean, they cut away from the Vancouver closing ceremony to show the premiere of The Marriage Ref. NBC is offering streaming coverage this year, so I'm hoping that they'll offer a wider selection of events.
It's not epic unless it's dactylic hexameter.

landofanalie.wordpress.com
The Tortured Soul

Postby The Tortured Soul » 07 Jul 2012, 23:31

Meh, I live in the UK and I couldn't give a crap about the Olympics. I'm probably going to see some of it, but I'm not deliberately going to go out and watch it. That said I'm really not a sporting person. (and really hate Football (soccer) too, with a passion! Which often is shown with occasionally disturbing levels of cathartic humour)

Oh... and dammit... it's JAG-U-AR!!! Along with Alu-min-ee-um, Bir-ming-um (but spelt Birmingham) and addictive! but I guess that is just because like my signature says I'm posting... in England.

LRR don't seem to use that phrase as much any more. *shrug*
posting... in england.

Reality is subjective and insanity is just a point of view

• Step 10 ???
  • Step 11 Profit
  • Step 12 Podcast
  • Step 13 Huff a Dong!
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 08 Jul 2012, 00:10

"We will endeavour to do these more often."
No, I don't believe you anymore! You always say that, yet you never do! We're through!

In all seriousness, I know you guys are really busy and still appreciate the time you put into these. I just couldn't resist making that joke. :P
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 08 Jul 2012, 00:21

I don't think there is an actual problem with Diablo 3s "endgame" per-say; I think the problem is a much broader issue with the design that culminates in a sense of dissatisfaction upon reaching a certain point.

They have effectively disincentivized starting new characters. For someone who has made their way to Inferno there really shouldn't be a challenge for any class playing on Normal, but regardless of this players are still forced to slog through it. Where Hardcore previously previously offered a unique challenge for players it now really only offers the prospect of grinding through a 10-20 hour tutorial before finally letting them play "the good part."

Furthermore, there just isn't any need for anyone to ever have more than 1 or 2 characters of a specific class. With the skill system being so fluid any experimentation you wish to try can be done with any character. An entirely new build is only seconds away.

They probably wouldn't need "Endgame" so much if they hadn't put so many restrictions on how people can approach the difficulty. A game with good replayability doesn't need an endgame, but blizzards progression system has effectively made replaying the game a chore, because by the time you hit the difficulty cap you've already replayed the game three times.
and now; back to me.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 08 Jul 2012, 03:41

I am with the crowd who doesn't really care about sports, but i have to see the opening ceremony, just because Boris Johnson is in charge, and from what i have seen about him(Mostly in British shows like RH's Good News and Mock the week) it can't be anything but an experience.
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 08 Jul 2012, 03:57

since when did jaguar have a w in it? silly pronunciation

anyway, i do care a little about the Olympics and will watch some of it. I'm slightly disillusioned with the extremely naff opening ceremony that has been planned, among other things, but overall I hope it will be a good few weeks. Despite being English the only game of the euros i watched was the final because I had exams and don't give a damn about the English football team.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
WoolehSheep
First Video: Sickness

Postby WoolehSheep » 08 Jul 2012, 06:38

I am becoming more and more addicted to these podcasts...

Keep up the awesome, guys :D
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 08 Jul 2012, 09:10

As soon as Graham mentioned he cried in FFVII and that it wasn't what you think I knew exactly what moment he was referring to... cause I cried then too.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Moon_Called
First Video: Bloody hell, I can't remember.

Postby Moon_Called » 08 Jul 2012, 09:54

Hey, so I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but I can't download this podcast's audio. When I try I get a second-long file that opens Media player and tells me I can only watch the podcast on Blip TV. I don't know if this is intentional, but I was really looking forward to listening to this on the bus today. =x
Oh freddled gruntbuggly
Thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 08 Jul 2012, 10:11

"Post-cognition" made me think of this:
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 08 Jul 2012, 12:39

aeric90 wrote:As soon as Graham mentioned he cried in FFVII and that it wasn't what you think I knew exactly what moment he was referring to... cause I cried then too.

Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 08 Jul 2012, 14:21

iamafish wrote:since when did jaguar have a w in it? silly pronunciation

I think in a lot of cases the British pronounce and spell words based on what is "more English", whereas people from the United States prefer to cite the source languages. It leads to no end of linguistic fun.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 08 Jul 2012, 14:55

Which in itself raises an interesting linguistic question - when borrowing words from other languages, should one adapt the word to follow the general rules of pronunciation pre-existing in the language you're adopting the word into to; or maintain the original pronunciation of the word, even if that is counter-intuitive to the language into which you're introducing the word?

So is it correct to maintain the native pronunciation of the word 'Jaguar', or pronounce it how one would pronounce the same sounds if 'Jaguar' were originally an English word?
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Grescheks
First Video: Snakes on the Town

Postby Grescheks » 08 Jul 2012, 15:03

On the topic of Alpha Flight, I'd just like to point out that Sasquatch is more similar to Canadian Hulk than Canadian Beast, since his powers come from gamma radiation exposure. He's just got a lot more control over everything than Hulk.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 08 Jul 2012, 17:56

Also, you guys didn't talk about 'Mustache you a question', which aired right before 'Ways to spend your summer'.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 08 Jul 2012, 18:03

His powers are not from gamma radiation, he just thought they were.

But origin aside, he is more like beast, or IF hulk, like the grey hulk or the professor. I think Graham had it right by saying "Canadian Beast"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Grescheks
First Video: Snakes on the Town

Postby Grescheks » 08 Jul 2012, 19:23

Ah, right, the whole "Great Spirit Beast" thing. I still hold by my Canadian Hulk, though, since he can transform between regular dude and Sasquatch, and he got his powers specifically because he was trying to copy Bruce Banner's transformation. Or maybe a combination of Hulk and Beast. He could be the Canadian Hulk-Beast. Or Beast-Hulk. Bulk? The Canadian Bulk.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 09 Jul 2012, 00:20

chetoos wrote:Also, you guys didn't talk about 'Mustache you a question', which aired right before 'Ways to spend your summer'.

Oops. You're totally right. When compiling the list, we only looked at "LRR" videos, and Mustache You a Question is filed as commodoreHUSTLE.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 09 Jul 2012, 06:52

Grescheks wrote:Ah, right, the whole "Great Spirit Beast" thing. I still hold by my Canadian Hulk, though, since he can transform between regular dude and Sasquatch, and he got his powers specifically because he was trying to copy Bruce Banner's transformation. Or maybe a combination of Hulk and Beast. He could be the Canadian Hulk-Beast. Or Beast-Hulk. Bulk? The Canadian Bulk.

I like to think of him as the Canadian Sasquatch ;) since Stan and Jack were always so original with their creations. As you can clearly see if you watch the X-men GPLP.

[–]Graham_LRR
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Jul 2012, 07:53

Of all things I'm super excited for Modern Pentathalon, Which I just found out about on the Jordan, Jesse, Go! podcast.
Its events include;

- Fencing (epee) - great
- Swimming (200m) - okay
- Horse jumping - where the competitors meet their horse on the day of the event and have twenty minutes to 'romance' them before they jump (!!!).
- Cross-country running - combined with-
- Shooting a LASER GUN!!!!! - It's like summer biathlon only better because lasers.
CorruptedValor

Postby CorruptedValor » 09 Jul 2012, 12:16

Red 5 makes Firefall, and they're not a Chinese company. Aren't they based in California?

Return to “LRRcast”