The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
headband
First Video: Decadent Sports League

Re: Magic: The Gathering: Whatcha mean, there's no thread ye

Postby headband » 11 Aug 2012, 06:21

Why is Trading Post an artifact instead of a land? Most trading posts I've been to have been singular locations. It's not like there haven't been buildings as lands before.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 11 Aug 2012, 08:18

In MTG, structures can be artifacts or lands. It all depends on flavor, and having a bunch of abilities like trading post is closer to an artifact than land.
LackingSanity
First Video: One of the Unskippables, I think.

Postby LackingSanity » 11 Aug 2012, 12:21

Plus, Wizards decided a while back that they weren't going to make any more lands that don't actually produce mana, and there's not really enough room on Trading Post to add 'Tap: Add 1 to your mana pool'.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 11 Aug 2012, 13:05

So a RTR card might have been leaked by accident.. If true, then I think we've learned one of the keywords. I'm hoping it's the White/Blue keyword myself. White/Blue deck running Populate with a playset of Crackling Counterparts and Back From The Brinks anyone?

Also, Izzet and Golgari have been revealed. Check them out here.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 11 Aug 2012, 14:42

If it is a real card it is the GW guild as you can see the watermark guild symbol.
Only the Golgari card is in Return to Ravnica, the other one is Niv-Mizzet's old card from the original Ravnica, and we have been told that he gets a new card.
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 11 Aug 2012, 15:44

So, if you get a mistake card from the next set, is legal in standard? ;)
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 Aug 2012, 15:49

Jenelmo wrote:If it is a real card it is the GW guild as you can see the watermark guild symbol.
Only the Golgari card is in Return to Ravnica, the other one is Niv-Mizzet's old card from the original Ravnica, and we have been told that he gets a new card.

For the Rootborn, I hadn't noticed that. Derp. <_> It's also on his shoulder and his weapon. If so... that kinda sucks to be completely honest. I've seen a lot better creature tokens in Blue then green. Green has more 'generic' creature tokens (2/2 wolves, 3/3 Beasts, etc) while blue has spells that can actually create tokens of specific creatures. Oh well. I'll just go blue/white and use them anyways. Maybe White/Blue/Splash-green just for Parallel Lives. Crackling Counterpart a Captain Of The Watch and then use a couple Populates on it with a Parallel Lives or two on the field? Meaning you get at least 9 4/4 soldiers with Vigilance and 3 5/5s as well? Madness.

For the Izzet and Golgari, I meant that those are the versions coming in the Duel Decks that was revealed. Not that they were neccessarily the RTR versions. Should have clarified on that.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 Aug 2012, 15:49

Lord Hosk wrote:So, if you get a mistake card from the next set, is legal in standard? ;)

If you get a mistake card (even a common like Rootborn seems to be), sell it on Ebay or something and get some cash for it. :P
vxicepickxv
First Video: The Job

Postby vxicepickxv » 12 Aug 2012, 05:34

Lord Hosk wrote:So, if you get a mistake card from the next set, is legal in standard? ;)
No, unless the card is a reprint from a card in standard. If he had pulled a Birds of Paradise with the RTR symbol on it, it would be legal, because M12 is legal, and Birds of Paradise is in M12.

As far as I know, it would be legal in a sealed event. That was one of the cards you got in the sealed event. I would double check with an actual Judge, because it could cause problems if it wasn't.

If this card is real, that would be a rather impressive mechanic for every color.

Red/White with Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.
Blue/White with Cackling Counterpart.
Green/White with Crush of the Wurms or Garruk, Primal Hunter's ultimate.
Black/White with Promise of Power.
White/White with Ajani Goldmane's ultimate, or Soul Foundry.

a 3 mana instant that makes your creatures indestructible, and gives you a non-targeted token copy of a creature you control is going to be pretty popular in draft.
Friend:Umm, I saw a cat and started clicking...
Me:You have made an accurate summary of the internet.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Aug 2012, 11:21

vxicepickxv wrote:
No, unless the card is a reprint from a card in standard. If he had pulled a Birds of Paradise with the RTR symbol on it, it would be legal, because M12 is legal, and Birds of Paradise is in M12.

As far as I know, it would be legal in a sealed event. That was one of the cards you got in the sealed event. I would double check with an actual Judge, because it could cause problems if it wasn't.

If this card is real, that would be a rather impressive mechanic for every color.

a 3 mana instant that makes your creatures indestructible, and gives you a non-targeted token copy of a creature you control is going to be pretty popular in draft.

It's important to not that Populate only effects token creatures. So you can only copy a token when you play it. So I don't think it'll be all that amazing unless there are some very, very good token generators and Green/White. Most of the tokens they produce are 'normal' tokens which aren't normally that great in my opinion. By the time you get the better ones out, it's basically close to game anyways. Of course, it might be worth running just to give the creatures indestructable.
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 12 Aug 2012, 11:34

It's not going to be constructed playable unless some powerful combo shows up using it, or you can guarantee some token that is 3/3 or larger at every time you try to cast it.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Aug 2012, 12:49

Volafortis wrote:It's not going to be constructed playable unless some powerful combo shows up using it, or you can guarantee some token that is 3/3 or larger at every time you try to cast it.

Cackling Counterpart,Demonic Rising, Garruk Primal Hunter, Hellion Crucible, Skirsdag High Priest.

Moonsilver spear, Geist of Saint Traft and Entreat the Angels would combo amazing, but I suppose if you get an entreat down its over anyways.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Aug 2012, 12:54

Lord Hosk wrote:
Volafortis wrote:It's not going to be constructed playable unless some powerful combo shows up using it, or you can guarantee some token that is 3/3 or larger at every time you try to cast it.

Cackling Counterpart,Demonic Rising, Garruk Primal Hunter, Hellion Crucible, Skirsdag High Priest.

Moonsilver spear, Geist of Saint Traft and Entreat the Angels would combo amazing, but I suppose if you get an entreat down its over anyways.

Notice how 4 of those aren't white or green, and 1 of them needs blue too. Moonsilver spear is good enough on it's own if you can actually get it out and use it where getting 1 more angel becomes a bit pointless. Garruk produces more and more Green 3/3's as well anyways, and his ultimate is basically game-over in a lot of situations. And Entreat, as you said, would be pretty much game if you use it for a good ammount.

I don't think Populate is bad. I just think that, as a keyword for a guild, it's pretty lame overall. But we'll see what actually ends up happening when we see more of the RTR set.
AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Postby AzureAngel17 » 12 Aug 2012, 17:06

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, as I expect I will still quite happily be buying Innistrad block stuff for a while to come. I just can't picture another set interesting me as much as those three do.

Is it normal to be that biased towards the first block you ever played, or is Innistrad just that good? I know Avacyn Restored isn't that great (I haven't really bought Avacyn stuff since early June, instead switching to Innistrad/Dark Ascension stuff with a smattering of 2013 now that that's out), but the flavor and quality of the whole block as a set interest me far more than any of the older sets that I've looked at save *maybe* Zendikar.
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 12 Aug 2012, 20:35

Lord Hosk wrote:

Cackling Counterpart requires heavy blue, which guarantees you won't reliably have that token in a reasonable amount of time.

Demonic Rising is bad, conditional, and slow.

Garruk, Primal Hunter requires mono-green to consistantly cast on turn 5. Sure, you can splash white, but it just isn't worth doing for this card, you have better cards to run in it's place.

Hellion Crucible is land disadvantageous, slow, and requires red. Hellion Crucible isn't bad, but it's bad for this purpose.

Skirsdag High Priest is bad. People used to run it in Zombies, just for want of a two drop. Then they realized it was slow, conditional, and counter-productive.

Moonsilver Spear is too slow to really be viable.

Geist of Saint Traft has far better cards to surround itself with, and Entreat the Angels is a finisher on it's own, you don't need this.

In addition to all the above stated reasons, you haven't shown me how you plan to do this CONSISTENTLY and IN A TIMELY FASHION. If you want some kind of similar combat trick, just run Restoration Angel or Wolfir Avenger.

It's a mechanic that could become really good, but we'll need to wait until RTR actually comes out to determine that, once we see how good the cards that surround it are.
vazhkatsi
First Video: lrr rap

Postby vazhkatsi » 14 Aug 2012, 06:40

is there any place i could get boosters for cheap? I'm looking to run a draft for friends and thinking about running an innistrad or new phyrexia one to mix it up a bit.
Vazhkatsi- Devils Advocate
Devils Avocado
Tall Dude
Hoopy Frood
AzureAngel17

Postby AzureAngel17 » 14 Aug 2012, 08:38

If you're in the USA, you can get unopened boosters for under $3 each on StarCity and Card Kingdom, and you can get repacked boosters from card stores on ebay pretty cheap, but you won't be getting any of the expensive rares from those.
Last edited by AzureAngel17 on 14 Aug 2012, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 14 Aug 2012, 08:38

Coolstuffinc has been selling boosters and boxes fairly cheap. $2.25 for boosters and $80 for a box of m13. You may be able to print them off and have them price-match it at your local Walmart. I don't know if they're supposed to, but I've heard of them doing it quite a few times in the past.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 14 Aug 2012, 09:45

AzureAngel17 wrote:you can get repacked boosters from card stores on ebay pretty cheap, but you won't be getting any of the expensive rares from those.

Personally, I'd say avoid those. You'd be better off just buying a playset of all the commons/uncommons in the set and the rares you want/would be able to use. Of course that could be said about packs in general, but I think it's worth the extra $1-2 per pack to actually have a chance of getting something good.
AzureAngel17

Postby AzureAngel17 » 14 Aug 2012, 20:36

I wouldn't buy the repacks just for getting packs to open, but if you want a cheap draft they're definitely a viable choice as long as you hit the bigger sellers that actually have a reputation to worry about.
vxicepickxv

Postby vxicepickxv » 15 Aug 2012, 08:32

Kapol wrote:
vxicepickxv wrote:

It's important to not that Populate only effects token creatures. So you can only copy a token when you play it. So I don't think it'll be all that amazing unless there are some very, very good token generators and Green/White. Most of the tokens they produce are 'normal' tokens which aren't normally that great in my opinion. By the time you get the better ones out, it's basically close to game anyways. Of course, it might be worth running just to give the creatures indestructable.
Every of the effects mentioned generates token creatures for you to copy. There's a few more blue ones, like Back From The Brink which is token copies of creatures you exile from your graveyard, and spitting image gets you a token copy of any creature in play. You can also use Rite of Replication to get a first token copy, or if you kick it, you get 5 of them. Of course, that's very heavy blue.

It's a mechanic that's nice to be able to use, but I don't see it as directly exploitable alone.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 15 Aug 2012, 09:17

vxicepickxv wrote:Every of the effects mentioned generates token creatures for you to copy. There's a few more blue ones, like Back From The Brink which is token copies of creatures you exile from your graveyard, and spitting image gets you a token copy of any creature in play. You can also use Rite of Replication to get a first token copy, or if you kick it, you get 5 of them. Of course, that's very heavy blue.

It's a mechanic that's nice to be able to use, but I don't see it as directly exploitable alone.

I know they do, and I knew Back From the Brink does as well. My point wasn't that it's a bad mechanic overall. I was trying to say that it seems like it'd work better as the white/blue keyword rather then the white/green. As the white/green mechanic (knowing what we do at the moment about the set), it's fairly lackluster because there are so few creature-copiers like what we've mentioned. At least in Standard.

As a White/Blue mechanic, I think it'd actually work pretty good. As a White/Green keyword, where most of the tokens generated are generic tokens rather then anything very useful, it's not nearly as good. The only thing Green has in tokens which is currently in standard that's significantly better then Blue is Parallel Lives. I expect that if the card is real, Parallel Lives will likely become more desired soon.

Of course I say this as someone who mostly plays white/green. If Populate is the big keyword for them I'm going to be somewhat disappointed in all honesty. But then again I might not care for any of the keywords.

EDIT:

I think I may have discovered the Green/Black guild's keyword while looking through Ebay. According to one listing which seems to have the promo card on it (A 2GG Insect Creature 5/5), the word is 'Scavenge.' It allows you to pay a cost (in this case 4GG) to exile that creature from your graveyard and allowing you to put X +1/+1 counters on target creature, where X is the scavenged creature's power.

It was apparently leaked at Gencon. http://www.examiner.com/article/return- ... -at-gencon

EDIT: Are From The Vaults good investments? I'm thinking of picking up 2 Realms for $40 from my local shop. One to likely keep and one to likely sell. Would that be wise, or should I just get the one for myself?
vxicepickxv

Postby vxicepickxv » 16 Aug 2012, 09:51

Kapol wrote:
vxicepickxv wrote:Every of the effects mentioned generates token creatures for you to copy. There's a few more blue ones, like Back From The Brink which is token copies of creatures you exile from your graveyard, and spitting image gets you a token copy of any creature in play. You can also use Rite of Replication to get a first token copy, or if you kick it, you get 5 of them. Of course, that's very heavy blue.

I know they do, and I knew Back From the Brink does as well. My point wasn't that it's a bad mechanic overall. I was trying to say that it seems like it'd work better as the white/blue keyword rather then the white/green. As the white/green mechanic (knowing what we do at the moment about the set), it's fairly lackluster because there are so few creature-copiers like what we've mentioned. At least in Standard.

As a White/Blue mechanic, I think it'd actually work pretty good. As a White/Green keyword, where most of the tokens generated are generic tokens rather then anything very useful, it's not nearly as good. The only thing Green has in tokens which is currently in standard that's significantly better then Blue is Parallel Lives. I expect that if the card is real, Parallel Lives will likely become more desired soon.

Of course I say this as someone who mostly plays white/green. If Populate is the big keyword for them I'm going to be somewhat disappointed in all honesty. But then again I might not care for any of the keywords.

EDIT:

I think I may have discovered the Green/Black guild's keyword while looking through Ebay. According to one listing which seems to have the promo card on it (A 2GG Insect Creature 5/5), the word is 'Scavenge.' It allows you to pay a cost (in this case 4GG) to exile that creature from your graveyard and allowing you to put X +1/+1 counters on target creature, where X is the scavenged creature's power.

It was apparently leaked at Gencon. http://www.examiner.com/article/return- ... -at-gencon

EDIT: Are From The Vaults good investments? I'm thinking of picking up 2 Realms for $40 from my local shop. One to likely keep and one to likely sell. Would that be wise, or should I just get the one for myself?
They are pretty nice, and generally the from the vault stuff goes up a decent rate after it's out for a while, so it's not a bad idea. If you can get both of them for 40 bucks, you're going to make bank. If they're 40 a piece, it's going to be a few years before you see a potential ROI.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 16 Aug 2012, 12:30

It depends on what the last five cards are, we know
Ancient Tomb
Boseiju, Who Shelters All
-
-
Dryad Arbor
Forbidden Orchard
Glacial Chasm
Grove of the Burnwillows
-
Maze of Ith
Mumering Bosk
-
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Vesuva

But I think it is worth it at 40 just for the Maze if you can find it for just 40 Buy, Buy, Buy
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Aug 2012, 12:42

Alright, I'll likely pick up both then. I do want to keep one because the FtV cards look AMAZING, but the other I'll likely sell to hopefully pay for the one I keep. The lowest I've seen them going for online is $85 or so as it is.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”