Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Oct 2012, 07:43

I was unsuccessful with getting a job at Marks and Spencer.
Anything to do with my mum pouring negativity at me all day about her life affecting my performance in the interview?
Who knows.

I also cannot apply to them for another year even though it was a seasonal job.

Explain why I should bother carrying on?
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 18 Oct 2012, 10:41

Auntie Anne's...why. why you smell. Fill nostrils. And dude beside me...stop fucking talking to me.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 18 Oct 2012, 11:48

TorachiKatashi wrote:Speaking of which,

I really wish the entire planet would stop trying to force me into making a Facebook account.

I'm not. ;)

I have absolutely no desire to be in contact with my extended family, nor the people who were shitty to me in high school but now want to act like we're best buds.

QFT; what kind of amnesia did these people experience to forget all the psychological trauma y'all caused me when we were teens, that you think I would EVER want to voluntarily interact with you ever again?!?

The internet is where I go to get away from all those people.

Problem is, they've seen The News that 'teh intarweebs' is a cool place to be, and they want in. The fun part is, the Internet is as big as it needs to be - there's plenty of room for them to do their shit and LEAVE US ALONE.

...but of course, they can't let that happen... :roll:

TK? You're a 'goat' like me and Zyxst - independent-minded to the extreme: the more someone else wants you to do something, the stronger your inherent and subconscious resistance to doing it.

Unless I've already made my mind up to like something, the more hype and buzz and word-of-mouth about <some cool thing>, the less interested in it I become.

Anyways, my gout struck again today, even earlier in my shift (it was cold today)...my manager actually asked me if I wanted to go home - we had plenty of people on, and I'd gotten everything straightened up after the lunch rush, and was hobbling up the stairs to the break room to go get some more Advil. I thought about it for a moment, and took her up on her offer; picked up some milk & bread, and called a cab. (thank gods it's payday).

Lay in bed for a hour or so and chatted with the wife, which felt IMMENSELY better, and now I've got my feet soaking in a tub of hot water.

...sad part is, I haven't had an attack of gout in MONTHS...I hope this isn't a harbinger of another kidney stone...

And I know the biggest factor with gout is diet - I probably ate too much processed meats full of preservatives that my kidneys can't filter out too well.

*sigh*

I already began watching what I ate when Zyxst got serious on shaping up, and NOW I'm gonna have to restrict MORE...and the best part is, I'll have to cut out cheaper foods - our grocery bill goes up, and we go even deeper into irretrievable debt.

ADDENDUM: Also, wife's got AMC's "Fear Fest" left on the tv - waiting to see if there's anything good (often they seem to digress from the posted schedule :P ), and I'm really amused by the prudishness of even cable networks in America - just about every actual kill scene in an OVERT slasher film (Friday the 13th, Halloween) is just excised completely...

And yet AMC's slogan for this?

"Gore Matters Here." Image

...yeah; it matters so much you must prevent ANYONE from seeing any of it. :P
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 18 Oct 2012, 20:36

I've really hit the wall on the thing I'm writing. I know what eventually has to happen, but I'm not totally sure what happens in the intervening scenes.

Crap.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 19 Oct 2012, 04:39

Chandler's Law. Someone bursts in with a gun.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 19 Oct 2012, 06:24

This week I have had two midterms on the same day (Wednesday, an hour apart), a lab practical exam and a paper worth 25% of my mark (Thursday) and I have another midterm today.

I also broke up with Dreamer... again.

I am out of energy. I have another midterm to write and I've had no time to study. All I have is three hours immediately before the exam and I'm hoping my friend Troy can help me study as he's had some time to.

I keep feeling like I'm going to throw up. Wednesday night/Thursday morning I could barely sleep. I tossed and turned and felt hot and cold and like I was going to be sick.

Wednesday all I ate was half a slice of pizza. The other half made me feel sick to even look at so I ditched it. Thursday I bought a shawarma but could only eat about a quarter before feeling sick. I lived on liquids as a result. My roommate Eric offered me three of his fries and I knew they should be tasty but to me they were just grainy and unstimulating. I managed to eat half an apple after that which gave me enough energy to write more of my (now late, at a 5% penalty) paper. I tried to have some cereal but the sweetness was so overwhelming that I gagged like crazy and gave up.

I collapsed into bed at 3 AM and woke up around 8 AM with a paper mostly written... all I needed was the abstract and the title page. I managed to drag myself out of bed at 10 and I still feel sick and awful and my eyes are watering but I'm not crying. They're just leaking. I'm hot and uncomfortable and I can barely think. Then tonight I have to go write that midterm, the hardest midterm of all my classes.

If I had talked to my professors maybe they would've been understanding but I was too shy. I take on too many things believing that I can do it. Well I can't do it. I'm out of energy and I still can't even eat. Then after my midterm (which ends at 7:30 PM) I have to go meet with Dreamer and give him back his stuff and probably be told a bunch of things and have to deal with his emotional response. I know now wasn't a good time to do this but I couldn't take it anymore.

I just wanna sleep...
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 19 Oct 2012, 06:27

*hugs*

If you need someone to talk to I'm willing to listen. I may not be able to give any useful advice at the end of it but I can listen.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 19 Oct 2012, 06:29

*hugs back*

Thanks a lot Geoff, that really means a lot to me. If you or anyone has advice on how to eat even when you're so hungry and tired you feel ill I'd appreciate it. I'd probably be in a better place if I had some fuel.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 19 Oct 2012, 06:32

*hugs*

I feel dat. It's been the worst week in my house too. I have my regular work and then had commitments every night except tonight. Not as bad aswhat you're talking about - I do remember uni. And my wife had school with a big presentation, work, and a conference she had to do a poster and a talk at. Our apartment is a disaster.

It seems like the apple was OK to you, maybe just some simple veggies or a salad? Peanut butter?

When I knew I had a busy week I would make I giant pot of spaghetti and just eat that every day.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 19 Oct 2012, 06:33

I'd say start with toast.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 19 Oct 2012, 06:34

TorachiKatashi wrote:Speaking of which,

I really wish the entire planet would stop trying to force me into making a Facebook account. I have absolutely no desire to be in contact with my extended family, nor the people who were shitty to me in high school but now want to act like we're best buds.

The internet is where I go to get away from all those people.

Assuming your real name isn't Torachi Katashi you could just keep things split up, no?
I lead triple lives myself (LRR is in the middle layer).
Nice and tidy, all friend circles split up and with minimal overlap.

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 19 Oct 2012, 17:16

I swear, if VWR screws up another shipment to us, I'm going to drive up to Philly myself and show them how to PUT THINGS INTO BOXES SO THEY DON'T BREAK. Of course, I can't be too mad that they break as they usually AREN'T WHAT I ORDERED!
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 20 Oct 2012, 00:59

Just got into an argument with one of the most important friends in my life.

Removd her from everything, that ended different than I'd have liked it to.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Oct 2012, 02:17

I may have accidentally sold a faulty copy of Oblivion to a customer.
It could be just the full-inventory system screwing you over. Because I had that happen to me a lot and it didn't explain it at all. And I was left confused. Or that bit where you have to discover the jump button. Oh Oblivion, your shit tutorial threatening my credibility as an Amazon seller.

"It stops working half way in" isn't detailed enough.
-
Problem is a common crash. It feels like as a seller I have to act as tech support. The discs were played rarely and kept in very good condition, I strongly feel it's an issue on the system.
empath

Postby empath » 20 Oct 2012, 05:47

Bethesda...they make beautiful stuff, but it's a stable as a paper flagpole. ;)

(by-the-way, MORE props to you succeeding in "act{ing} as tech support")

-----

Grisoft (AVG) has gone the way of Symmantec.

Their free anti-virus software has been quick, simple and effective in the past, but their latest update, AVG Free 2013, is horrible.

It seems their apps spend more system resources nagging and trying to get me to upsell (when it's not supposed to be doing anything) than actually monitoring my system or doing a AV scan.

...and last night/today was the last straw: I have the daily full system scan scheduled for 3am - I'm nearly always in bed by then, and even if I'm not it serves as a good "go to bed!" reminder. ;) Well, last night I nodded off while playing a full-screen app and when I woke up and saved and quit out, THEN the scheduled scan began, at maybe a little past 4am.

I went to bed, and got up at 10am...

...and it was still running.

It's previous version could pull a full scan in under an hour even if I was still doing shit like watching YouTube as it was working.

Make matters more fun, I've been having some disturbing system 'stutters' that made me wanna clean things up, so I tried Grisoft's AVG PC Tune Up 1-day trial; it seemed to get things running more smoothly (and though the computer still 'pauses' from time to time, it's less common), but after the trial expired, my system performance got MASSIVELY worse.

You wouldn't think it would cripple a computer to have a 1Mb TSR running that fires a pop-up window at you every three or four hours (which you can always say "remind me later" to - the nagging I didn't mind, but the fact that it throttled my computer DID.

So that sucker got uninstalled instead of eventually upgraded through a purchase (I was thinking about starting 2013 by plumping up for some 'maintenance' stuff...guess it won't be from AVG)

Put "AVG" in place of "symmantec" and "2013" instead of "2003" and you've got basically how I felt.

...so, anyone got any suggestions for a free anti-virus application? If it works nicely I might even fork over some cash to upgrade.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 20 Oct 2012, 06:00

Never ever trust any "PC Tune-up" software. They ALWAYS make things worse in some way or another and then expect you to pay to fix their errors as if they have the miracle cure. It's like a doctor stabbing you in the kidneys and saying "If you pay me, I can stitch you up!"

I was on AVG but many problems with it. As you say it started off good and then just MILKED you. A friend recommended Avast! and I've loved it. Just play around with the settings to turn any sound notifications off when it does its scheduled updates. They can get annoying.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 20 Oct 2012, 08:28

Yeah, I use Avast! as well and have never had any issues with it. I don't know if that scan's as fast as you'd like, I guess it depends how many files you have (It takes 3-6 hours for me, with about 750 GB of stuff,) but it's unobtrusive and seems to catch any problems.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
empath

Postby empath » 20 Oct 2012, 13:12

I got no problems with a full scan taking several hours - one reason why I schedule it for 'overnight' - but AVG being approx. 75% done after SIX HOURS is a little impractical.

I've already seen Avast! put on a 'short list'. I guess I'll shift over to that.

It's still annoying to see another good company 'go to the dark side'...but then again, I remember when Norton Anti-Virus was still indie, new and useful. ;) Image
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 20 Oct 2012, 15:34

Irregardless is not a word and never should be a word, no matter how "commonly accepted" you think it is. ...Why didn't my spell checker flag it?

Shit.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 20 Oct 2012, 15:37

Mine did. And it's a ridiculous attempt at a word.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 20 Oct 2012, 15:58

"Hence why" and "could care less" were two I cringed at today.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
General Michi
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby General Michi » 20 Oct 2012, 16:11

We put the brick on the accelerator.

Image Image

Twitter Steam Tumblblar
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 20 Oct 2012, 16:59

HSBC are closing my account, despite me doing every last fucking thing that they asked.

Jeezy Creezy.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
empath

Postby empath » 20 Oct 2012, 17:01

Fayili wrote:Irregardless is not a word and never should be a word, no matter how "commonly accepted" you think it is. ...Why didn't my spell checker flag it?

Shit.

Fix your spell checker's dictionary when that sort of thing crops up. But someone at the company that programmed your spell checker is a douche... Image

Also,

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 21 Oct 2012, 08:52

So, remember how a bit over a week ago I was complaining that there hadn't been any rain for the better part of two months? Well, for the last week it's been raining pretty hard, with a few breaks here and there, and now the water supply is good.

And this morning it started to snow. :shock:

Seriously Mother Nature? Don't you realize that this is BC? We're supposed to get months of rain between summer and winter!
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!

Return to “General Discussion”