Installation Anxiety

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Lacerta
Affable Marmot
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Lacerta » 13 Apr 2007, 17:10

Best video in a while. :D Paul really carries it with the manic high-energy enthusiasm, it keeps the whole video flowing at a high pace.

Got just plain weird at the end though.

Also: You don't actually make perogies in the microwave, do you Graham? That's terribly wrong on a basic level.
semper fidelis tyrannosaurus
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 13 Apr 2007, 17:25

Paul should know that both the GIMP and Open Office are available for other OS and not just for Linux. Ok maybe not the Wii.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 13 Apr 2007, 18:18

I love pauls excited voice.
i dont know what's happening anymore
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 13 Apr 2007, 18:20

I think at some point it's behavior like Paul's that makes you wish electroshock was available in home remedy form.

As for pierogies, they are best made when boiled then pan fried with carmelized onions. Oh that gives me an idea for the General Discussion forum, unless it was already done.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 13 Apr 2007, 18:25

I'll be honest: I was totally expecting "Wii as penis" jokes, and was pleasantly surprised when they didn't materialize.

Although with a full-body Linux install, I'd be surprised of all of the peripherals worked. Kathleen would probably rip Paul a new one.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Metaleaf

Postby Metaleaf » 13 Apr 2007, 18:46

. . . Yup.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 13 Apr 2007, 19:26

I was going to post an intelligent response to that.

No.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 13 Apr 2007, 20:21

"I am Linux!" I think you could even do a follow up a couple of updates later where Paul goes insane in an even more dangerous way, or in a superhero kind of way. Better yet, a fight to the death between Linux-Paul and the Mac and PC. Only on Pay Per View!
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 13 Apr 2007, 20:48

A totally new category:
Crazy Paul.

That we be so awesome.
i dont know what's happening anymore
Stephen_S

Postby Stephen_S » 13 Apr 2007, 20:49

That was awesome!
Le grá,

Steve
Kroze
Filled With Regret

Postby Kroze » 13 Apr 2007, 20:50

I actually have LINUX on my DS...
And since you guys do too, I have to ask what Flash card you guys use for DS homebrew?
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 13 Apr 2007, 21:01

i personally think seeing that the ds had some sort of linux on it made the video much much much better.. good job guys!! NERD JOKES FTW!
CaPpY wrote:dark_realm really is a jerk....
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 13 Apr 2007, 21:05

also i really like the white board with the sphynx plans on it from overdue!

Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Misty » 13 Apr 2007, 23:50

Metaleaf wrote:Image

. . . Yup.

Okay, that's awesome. 8)

And this video was too! I suppose I'm not yet geeky enough to understand some of the puns, but Paul being hyper-peppy the whole time and making me ROFL makes up for it.

...I did get a bit creeped out when Paul plugged the keyboard into Graham, though. That looked like it really hurt x3
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 14 Apr 2007, 02:25

I watched it again at 6:20am Eastern DS Time. Seriously, someone needs to do something about Paul, cuz he was WAAAAAAY too happy about programming Linux into everything. It was only a matter of time until he tried to program a little child into a file folder, causing arrests, fines, jail and God-knows-what else.
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 14 Apr 2007, 03:44

wow just thinking about it, this could have 1 or 2 more videos after it.. maybe a mini mini series?

browncoat

Postby browncoat » 14 Apr 2007, 06:29

I can only join the AWESOME-shouters ^^
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 14 Apr 2007, 07:33

I thought Paul was installing Linux on himself in the bathroom... and I don't really see what use a toilet-fileserver is. All you'd ever get out of it is poo.

So the Mac in the opening of the video is the one Grahm sits next to in Whatever-Thing. Do you guys use Paul's computer for Whatever-Thing?
Deemed too hazardous for human contact.
Tiger1313

Postby Tiger1313 » 14 Apr 2007, 10:01

Paul officially is the best at playing a way too happy person in LRR videos. With this one and in Toilet Humour, Paul is the excited man.
Last edited by Tiger1313 on 14 Apr 2007, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 14 Apr 2007, 10:51

Paul was FREAKING HILARIOUS. Awesome video guys.

As a very wimpy point of note, I felt so bad for Graham when he got Linux'd. I thought it was funny, but I was like, "Awww, poor Graham."
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 14 Apr 2007, 12:47

Wow guys, I was quite impressed!

I'm not normally one to literally laugh out loud, even when something is pretty dang funny, but this pushed me to that level. Soo many good one-shots, the pacing was superb, and the manic frenzy was perfect.

Personally I think this video reveals one of Paul's strengths, namely energetic performances with a slight air of the absurb. His exuberance carries you through the initial "Okay, how the hell would that even work?" phase and directly into the "Okay, how.. wait, what? Holy crap that's awesome!" one.

I think this is one of the best cases of viewers suspending their disbelief, because you get caught up in the action and the flow of things so you don't have time to catch yourself in the "Linux on a microwave?" doubting. When Paul plays slower roles, he sometimes just seems like a filler character if he's not doing or saying something unusual. This is a nice change.

Additionally, the Science-Paul facet of his personality seems to be turning into one of my favorites. He just has the face, build, and mannerisms of a generic mad scientist. Of course he also makes a superb separatist.

Also, the doubling over was a clever way to hold the serial plug of the keyboard. Belly rolls for the win Graham!

~Alja-Markir~

Addendum - You must put Paul into the Whatever Thing! Singing, perhaps. Rapping even? MC Hawking's "What We Need More of Is Science" would fit the bill.
xahldera
First Video: Wyy

Postby xahldera » 14 Apr 2007, 12:51

Faye wrote:the toilet part was kind of funny after Google's april fools day prank.

I was wondering about that one.

Also, Linux on the Microwave is probably safer and more secure than Vista.

*Dons asbestos suit for inevitable flaming from MS fans* ;)
xahldera...
Der Greys Der Hunde
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 14 Apr 2007, 13:12

Considering that versions of Linux exist that run on 16 bit processors like the 8086 and only require 515kB of RAM and that Vista might work with a fast P3 and half of gig of RAM I think you would have less trouble getting Linux working.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Patch

Postby Patch » 14 Apr 2007, 14:43

Lord Chrusher wrote:Considering that versions of Linux exist that run on 16 bit processors like the 8086 and only require 515kB of RAM and that Vista might work with a fast P3 and half of gig of RAM I think you would have less trouble getting Linux working.

Although, without the fucking about, I'm pretty much certain that the INSTALLATION SCRIPTS for Vista are more compatible with programs than the entire Linux OS is...

And don't start on me about "it's not an OS, it's a 'distribution'" bullshit either...

It's fringe at best. Keep Linux on servers, and nothing else. The kind of people (in my experience) who have installed Linux on PCs that I've personally repaired have done things like not attach a heatsink, through claims it was "too noisy", fitted the heatsink back to front, or tried water cooling it, without testing the system first....

I'm not saying that Linux users make more mistakes than your average Windows user. They make catastrophic errors, that result in them needing pretty much most of the core components changing...
"OLOL, Fuck you Micro$oft. I use Linux.... Ok, so I've changed the OS, what else can I change in the PC. Fuck you Intel, I'm not going to use your shitty HSF! *PC fries* *brought into the shop* It's under warranty, right?"
One Bot to rule them all,
And in the darkness lag them...
blackdragontaz
The Goddamn Batman

Postby blackdragontaz » 14 Apr 2007, 16:12

If Paul ever gets near me or my Wii system with a keyboard spouting the wonders of Linux, I am bashing faces in. I do not want a non-motion sensing brick plzkthnx. Excellent use of jokes and humor guys.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”