74 - Expensive Tastes

News, with silly hats.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

74 - Expensive Tastes

Postby Kathleen » 24 Oct 2012, 12:05

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... ive-Tastes

The price some people will pay to have their throats lacerated.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: 74 - Expensive Tastes

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 Oct 2012, 12:25

You made a political point without commenting that 2/3rds of the diamonds which have already been mined are sitting in a De beers vault or you could just point to de beers motto which seems to be "do all the evil"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 24 Oct 2012, 12:54

As I understand it, the De Beers vault is dwarfed by the crater.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 24 Oct 2012, 16:17

What's a Honey Boo Boo?
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 24 Oct 2012, 16:32

Keab42 wrote:What's a Honey Boo Boo?

If you don't already know, do yourself a favour and don't find out. It's one of those horrifically awful pieces of current culture not worth knowing about anyway.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 Oct 2012, 16:36

there is a reality series on some cable network about a little girl who is in baby beauty pageants where the parents pay thousands of dollars to buy dresses, fake hair, fake teeth, fake tans, fake nails and then feed the kids copious amounts of sugar and threaten and/or bribe them to smile and dance. They do all this so they can brag to other mothers who do the same thing that they are better mothers because their child won a $100 gift card to Apple Bees.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 24 Oct 2012, 18:32

I think its on TLC. They were on a talk show once and the mother said she gives the little girl a drink made of Mountain Dew and Red Bull before she goes on stage. No little kid needs that much sugar!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 Oct 2012, 19:57

I love how frequently the mothers say "she loves this we only do this because she loves it" followed by 44 minutes of the children screaming "I don't want to do this anymore" and the parents bribing and yelling at them, then the child breaks down into tears, gets a candy bar and a red bull then smiles and dances with the mother in the back stomping her foot and yelling "smile baby, big smile! do your moves!"

My wife just said "I love how people don't understand that caffeine is a drug, you wouldn't smoke pot with your 5 year old why would you give them a mountain dew? They are both drugs! I really wish people would take a moment to even try to understand what they are doing to their bodies, and their kids bodies."

[–]Graham_LRR
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Postby KiteNeravar » 24 Oct 2012, 20:06

Ah yes, the Tunguska event caused by Tesla's death ray.

By the way, love Feed Dump I laugh every time
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 Oct 2012, 20:07

Graham wrote:As I understand it, the De Beers vault is dwarfed by the crater.

My understanding is that they are mostly small industrial diamonds not gem grade further more, that crater is roughly a bizzilion miles from the nearest industrial complex.

The De Beers vaults contain cut and processed gem quality diamonds in the heart of Europe they keep them there because then a single carrot maintains the $1500-3500 price point.

a Carrot of the stones in that crater are only worth like 50 cents to 5 bucks a carrot.

Comparing the two is like comparing a 1984 Huffy street and trail bike to a 2005 Bugatti Veyron. They are both modes of transportation right?

[–]Graham_LRR
reptile

Postby reptile » 25 Oct 2012, 06:42

Nice episode. I was vaguely aware of the existence of Honey Boo Boo, but didn't care enough to find out more--sounds like I made the right call...

Unfortunately, Tally's Goldschlager story is an urban legend. (Gold flakes are too soft to cause such abrasion.)

And yes, De Beers is a major reason why the price of jewelry diamonds is high. Still, I want a diamond planet...
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 25 Oct 2012, 07:38

Lord Hosk wrote:a Carrot of the stones in that crater are only worth like 50 cents to 5 bucks a carrot.
*carat
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Oct 2012, 09:38

I apologize for NOTHING!

[–]Graham_LRR
Tally

Postby Tally » 25 Oct 2012, 12:00

reptile wrote:Unfortunately, Tally's Goldschlager story is an urban legend. (Gold flakes are too soft to cause such abrasion.)

Alas, and it was such a good story! I'm not too surprised though. Probably should've fact checked, but in this case meh. I wonder if diamond dust would actually lacerate one's insides the way we postulated...
KiteNeravar

Postby KiteNeravar » 25 Oct 2012, 17:23

Depends on the size of the diamonds and the shape. Large enough that you could see it, and "normal" diamond shape, it probably would but I would be more concerned about what happens to the diamonds after you drink them.

Also what flavor would it be? goldschläger is cinnamon would diamondschläger be peppermint?
Tally

Postby Tally » 25 Oct 2012, 17:50

KiteNeravar wrote:Depends on the size of the diamonds and the shape. Large enough that you could see it, and "normal" diamond shape, it probably would but I would be more concerned about what happens to the diamonds after you drink them.

Also what flavor would it be? goldschläger is cinnamon would diamondschläger be peppermint?

GIven how boring everyone seems to be agreeing diamonds are, I think it'd have to be vanilla.
KiteNeravar

Postby KiteNeravar » 25 Oct 2012, 19:23

Vanilla eh? Well that is better than peppermint, but probably not good enough to risk intestinal lacerations
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 25 Oct 2012, 20:17

Lord Hosk wrote:A carat of the stones in that crater are only worth like 50 cents to 5 bucks a carat.

FTFY

Diamonds would probably produce microlacerations in the human body. Diamond powder is used as an industrial abrasive, so it's the equivalent of drinking fine grain sandpaper.
KiteNeravar

Postby KiteNeravar » 26 Oct 2012, 06:13

No drinking diamond powder would be like drinking sand. Diamond powder is used as an industrial polish the exact same way sand paper is, applied to a cloth and used by hand.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 26 Oct 2012, 09:07

The simile is stronger with sandpaper, though.
pokute
First Video: Phailhaüs

Postby pokute » 26 Oct 2012, 09:29

Why doesn't French have a gender definite article for the disgusting? (derogatory definite article?) Seems like it would be awfully useful. Then again, it might just get misused on everything.

Diamonds are ridiculous.
phalar reign
First Video: ways to

Postby phalar reign » 27 Oct 2012, 14:21

Ohoo, I live near that zoo. Question: how many shotgun shots does one need to put down a drugged up gorrila?

Return to “Feed Dump”