U.S. Election Day

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: U.S. Election Day

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Nov 2012, 15:15

AlexanderDitto wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:My dad and I have known for a while that another Civil War has been coming. We keep taking steps in that direction by having both parties polarizing the population against each other, rather than working together for a stronger whole.

Anyone who says this in any seriousness (not sure if you're serious, Memo) has an extremely Myopic view of history. It's just a shame that everyone who lived through the 1900s and 10s is dead now, they'd tell you wild stories of polarizing parties working against each other to block progress. It's not like the 60s and 70s were all that peachy either. There were radical, violent protests over civil rights and the Vietnam war, remember?

I have to disagree with you there, although should another civil war come it would not be the south rising again, in fact it wouldn't be state against state. It would look much more like the War of the Roses, there were strongholds for sure but all the middle bits were where the war happened.

AlexanderDitto wrote:Besides, whatever handful of backwater militias with Walmart guns the south could scrape up would be crushed by the rest of the US military.

You have a misunderstanding about the US military. If the south were to rise again, which I agree is highly unlikely, the military sides with the south. The US military is Just some good old boys, never meanin' no harm... Beats all you never saw, been in trouble with the law Since the day they was born. 40% of the military is from states that were in the confederacy, Vrs about 27% in the Union. If you take the "line" strait west it makes about 65% "southern"

AlexanderDitto wrote:There's loud, angry nutjobs in every decade of this country's ridiculous and complicated history. Another Civil War is extremely unlikely.

I couldn't agree with you any more on this last point. It is extremely unlikely but if it does happen it for sure wont be north vrs south.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Nov 2012, 15:17

MarkVI wrote:I don't think I would miss much if the hardcore red states on that list actually seceded.

I think we would miss quite a bit. Also 1/3 of that list is blue states.

(updated map its 20 states now, and Georgia has filed twice. one petition had 131 signatures one with 68)
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Postby KiteNeravar » 12 Nov 2012, 19:00

I vote we let New York secede and take their damn Yankees with them

Lord Hosk wrote:You have a misunderstanding about the US military. If the south were to rise again, which I agree is highly unlikely, the military sides with the south. The US military is Just some good old boys, never meanin' no harm... Beats all you never saw, been in trouble with the law Since the day they was born. 40% of the military is from states that were in the confederacy, Vrs about 27% in the Union. If you take the "line" strait west it makes about 65% "southern"

Just because they are from the south, doesn't mean they will side with the south. It very well could be different for the south, but I taked to soldiers I knew in high school and college and they, and everyone they talked to on base, all agreed that if their state seceded from the Union they would side with the the US, and not their state. However this could just be this specific group.

(sorry for any grammer or spelling mistakes this computer won't spell check for some reason)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Nov 2012, 20:37

Saying that the "US Military" will side with one side or the other is ridiculous. If there were a civil war, some of the military would side with the Faction A, others would side with Faction B, presumably some would not side with either side, either defecting to a different country or setting up isolated areas under their own control. More important than the number of soldiers, anyways, would be the distribution of physical assets, namely military bases and warehouses, as well as manufacturing centers.

However, the idea of the US devolving into another civil war strikes me as one of the most preposterously unlikely things to ever happen. I would regard it as about as likely as Quebec trying violently separate up here.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 12 Nov 2012, 20:55

....and Gunner has said what I wanted to, on both points.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Nov 2012, 21:54

Yeah, +1 is about the nicest thing to say I can muster.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Nov 2012, 01:01

Maryland's got a petition in the works, which I think is as laughable as New York's.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Nov 2012, 04:51

They are all laughable really.

[–]Graham_LRR
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Nov 2012, 10:24

Well, I mean more laughable than the rest, coming from a state that is so deep blue, it looks like Cookie Monster.

Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 13 Nov 2012, 21:12

It's my understanding that these petitions can be signed by anyone - i.e. not just people who actually live in the state in question. I mean obviously these are not going to go anywhere, but I love the idea of people in Texas petitioning to secede and people from other areas going along with it essentially to kick them out.

In all seriousness, this is a sign of dissent within the country, but we kinda already knew that existed. Obama did win, but not by a lot.
Moshi
First Video: Unskipable - Assassin Creed: Brotherhood

Postby Moshi » 13 Nov 2012, 22:24

but but... I don't want to secede from the USA... (Lives in KY)

Yeah I doubt this will happen but its things like this that make a transfer to the Vancouver office a lot nicer looking... Probably never happen since I still love my family, (no matter how crazy right winged they are) and too lazy to move across city much less out of country...
ImageImageImage
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 13 Nov 2012, 22:54

Ugh. Just ugh.

I live in one of the states with one of these petitions (Missouri), but I honestly don't see these petitions going anywhere. If it makes these idiots feel any better the "exile anyone who signs the succession petition" petition isn't going to work, either. There's too much division within each state for any type of succession to actually work. Hell, Rick Perry, Texas's governor, has gone on record as saying he is against these shenanigans.

Let's just hope that we don't get far enough into this asinine bullshit to get an answer to the "who the bulk of the military sides with" question; the Loyalists or the Seccessionists.

By the way, you're welcome for better names for the hypothetical "Faction A" and "Faction B".
ImageImageImageImage
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 13 Nov 2012, 23:28

The Whigs and the Know-Nothing Party.
Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 14 Nov 2012, 00:02

So let's throw some numbers at this. Texas' petition is the largest one right now, and it was at ~80,000 signatures last I checked. Let's assume that all the people who've signed it are actually from Texas (which I can almost guarantee to be false, but for the sake of argument...). Wikipedia informs me that Texas has a population of around 25.5 million people. So that's... 0.3% of the population that's signed this petition. For comparison, 4.5 million Texans (~17.6%) voted for Romney, and we all know how that turned out. So no, this has basically no chance of going anywhere.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Nov 2012, 01:33

Vanguard wrote:succession
*secession

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » 14 Nov 2012, 07:35

(slaps Memo across the face)

... and that's what I think about people who make one-word posts just to correct other people's spelling. It makes you look like an asshole.
ImageImageImageImage
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Nov 2012, 07:58

Fine with me. I don't really care what you think. I'm just trying to help you not look stupid, and I get slapped for it? Who's the ***hole now?

Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 14 Nov 2012, 08:23

To be fair, the single word posts simply to correct a typo/spelling/grammatical error do come across as rather jerkish, not to mention degrading.

'I see that you've made a post there, but OH! A typo! I shall ignore the rest of your post to simply focus all my attention on this tiny error that you made!'
Hurp-De-Durp!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Nov 2012, 08:50

Well, there wasn't anything else to comment on as I agreed with everything else in the post.

Also, the edit button is there for a reason. If he had edited his post to correct the word, I would have deleted mine.

Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 14 Nov 2012, 08:58

You could of, you know, mentioned the fact that you agreed with him in that case.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 14 Nov 2012, 09:13

That escalated quickly.

Really, people, don't be a dick. It's right there in the rules.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Nov 2012, 10:27

Deedles wrote:You could of, you know, mentioned the fact that you agreed with him in that case.
*could have
And, I thought it was implied already by the lack of further comment. If I commented on everything I agreed with, this forum would see a pretty big flood of posts of me just agreeing with everything.

I mean, I can start mentioning what I agree with, if you want, but I still think it's redundant.
metcarfre wrote:That escalated quickly.

I wasn't being one, but apparently I was seen that way. I've never been good at this "social" stuff.

Edit: I don't know if there's something off with me today, as I'm much more of a grammar Nazi than usual. Maybe it's just that I'm 30, so I'm now a grumpy old man with some headaches... BRB... Kids on the lawn...

Edit 2: No, you know what? I know what it is. I'm still upset at not being able to figure out who griefed my base in MineCraft and this is residual lashing out. I apologize to everyone but the griefer.
Last edited by AdmiralMemo on 14 Nov 2012, 10:57, edited 4 times in total.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » 14 Nov 2012, 10:31

It's alright, Memo. It's always worth pointing out that things like intent and tone of voice don't exactly translate over into text very well, if at all.

Apologies all around for causing that little derailment, especially to Memo for making you have to go on the defensive. How about we get back on track?
ImageImageImageImage
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 14 Nov 2012, 10:34

AdmiralMemo wrote:

I wasn't being one, but apparently I was seen that way. I've never been good at this "social" stuff.

When you post a one-word response that points out a spelling mistake, it's a dick move. For what it's worth. It doesn't matter about your intention, it will pretty much just come across that way.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Nov 2012, 10:35

metcarfre wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:

When you post a one-word response that points out a spelling mistake, it's a dick move. For what it's worth. It doesn't matter about your intention, it will pretty much just come across that way.
Oh well...

Return to “General Discussion”