Desert Bus 6 Appreciation Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Re: Desert Bus 6 Appreciation Thread

Postby Keith K » 23 Nov 2012, 08:59

Thanks once again LRR and the amazing band of awesomenauts. You continue to provide the best week of the entire year. As usual, I can't wait for next year.

Eventually I will figure out how to contribute more meaningfully than donating but will always be ready to throw my money at the screen for the children.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 23 Nov 2012, 09:07

Work's been kinda nuts, and I think this year I've watched the least of Desert Bus ever (tho I still caught the start, some of Chris Straub's visit, a bit Ken "V.A." Steacy, and the finish) and didn't even have the time to put my paltry $10 toward a challenge or something, but just threw in a basic donation...

...but STILL...

It was cool, and fun, and awesome; I'll be spending the next month or so catching up on all the cool clips (already saw the $1mil 'gangam style' milestone and Epic Camera Glitch) of the entertainment, but even not directly participating in it, I still felt good from just knowing it was going on. :)

And actually spoke with a dude from one of the credit card companies to check up on balances and arrange payments for the upcoming month, and I began to realize that I really am taking a big chunk out of that millstone of debt on my back...

...so maybe I'll be able to take a little time off work next November and STILL have something decent to bring to DB007. :D
Fenrir
First Video: LRRcast for Interrupted Garage

Postby Fenrir » 23 Nov 2012, 09:45

There are seriously no words...

You guys are all awesome. Each and every one of you. This was only my second Desert Bus but I am seriously in awe of just how much you guys managed to achieve for such a good cause. I mean this in all seriousness - I hold the utmost respect for each and every one of you.

This year was probably the best for me thus far. Things have been less than brilliant on and off for me this year, so to have this to wake up to and generally enjoy throughout the week has been a BIG help. The guests were amazing, the auctions/prizes etc. were all awesome and I ACTUALLY BUSING DONATED FOR SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME! ....My friend Dibria won it in the end but still!

Though I wasn't able to do as much as I'd like, I spent the entire week pimping out Desert Bus on my twitter/facebook feeds and actually (with help from Dibria) got one of my friends to watch for the first time too! Hopefully I didn't bug you guys TOO much with all the twitter tags! XD

Much love and respect to you all. I'mma try and be present in the chat as much as possible this coming year, and personally look forward to hearing more about Desert Bus 007 in the coming months. I also have some pondering to do myself as I would love to be able to raise some money for Childs Play too (or at the very least some funds I can donate to Desert Bus) and would love to volunteer in some way sometime.

Hope y'all enjoy your well earned rest!

- Fenrir xo

P.S. Seriously.....you had an INSANE amount of highly attractive men on this year. I APPROVE! =3

P.P.S After DB6 I actually really dig Gangnam Style. .....I'm not sure how to feel about this. o_O
"Sing something new, I have nothing left. I can't face the dark without you."

: Fenrir - DB IRC : LRRFenrir - TwitchTV : @the_dismuke - Twitter :

AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Nov 2012, 11:01

the_lone_bard wrote:Oh right, and sorry to all the LRR crew that I've been spamming tweets at the last two days. I was too far away from my IRC to type, and too drunk to not be saying things at people. Though reading back, I feel like I probably came off as a completely creepy dude who never sleeps and couldn't spell.
Don't worry. You're definitely not the worst. I did something in a fit of madness in the middle of Desert Bus that I am going to email a personal apology to Graham about. (It was minor and stupid, and really not important, and I totally expect he'll forgive me. However, when I saw Graham's reaction on a replay, I realized I shouldn't have done it.)

I'm probably going to delay sending until tomorrow or Sunday to give him time to recover and become sane.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 23 Nov 2012, 11:08

Everyone else in this thread have already said such lovely things, and I feel the same way; thankful and proud and sad that it's over, but I also feel... like watching you is like hanging out with you. And You, the LRR crew and everyone who was around at the Moonbase this last week helping to keep DB going, you are the kind of people I want to be friends with and have as my not-blood-related family.
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 23 Nov 2012, 12:01

This year's was fantastic, even though I didn't watch nearly enough of it. Actually going to book next year's off work early...

But there were so many hysterically funny moments. I struggled breathing this morning at the "Going to the store" commentaries.

Really disappointed that it ended during my PHP test though, first time I've missed an ending since I started watching :(
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 23 Nov 2012, 12:22

I am more sad that my life, being stupid busy, caused me to miss much of DB6 than that it is over - mostly because of how much youtube content there it that will keep me entertained for days of things I missed.
But for the moments I got to watch derpline and QWOPline. For eating spoonfuls of mayonnaise. For all the dancing and stories adn scenes from a chat. For dacing the macarena to the Imperial March. For all of that and raising over 1 million dollars (and over 400,000 this year alone) you all deserve so much thanks!
Desert Bus has come such a long way since I first started watching at Desert Bus 2. You all have worked so hard and deserve all the good things you've earned over the years.
Bus bus on.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Cerk
First Video: The Job

Postby Cerk » 23 Nov 2012, 13:01

Yeah, I really have nothing new to add. Everything's been absolutely spectacular throughout the entire run, and credit where credit's due guys. Both the crew and chat have been a great source of amusement around the clock.
Special props to Team Zeta for keeping the momentum up through the night despite the comparative lack of call-ins and auctions, which is what I saw most of, European as I am.

Amazing job on the ammount raised guys, can't wait for next year!
Ptangmatik wrote:What? How dare you bring logic into this! Get in the fryer!
General Michi
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby General Michi » 23 Nov 2012, 13:11

Right in the feels.

Bravo to each and every single person involved. Since DB4 I've spent each year looking forward to Desert Bus and each year it gets crazier and crazieer and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thank you so much for all the hard work and effort you put into this and may you sleep well knowing that you've made the lives of so many people around the world remarkably better over the course of just 1 week.

Thank you :)
We put the brick on the accelerator.

Image Image

Twitter Steam Tumblblar
ex-Lurker
First Video: 'Skeeterpellant

Postby ex-Lurker » 23 Nov 2012, 13:16

Thanks for the schedule-destroying awesome LRR and associates! I finally got access to a paypal account this year, so I actually chipped in this year! Have a good recovery everyone, and keep QWOPing.
Totally accurate, except for all the times I'm not.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 23 Nov 2012, 13:18

Allow me to echo the "looking forward to it" sentiment. Desert Bus is such a big deal to me that I seriously start getting excited about it in March when you tweet about planning meetings. And even after months of anticipation on my part, you not only live up to it, but knock it out of the park. Thank you for all of your hard work, dedication, and shenanigans.
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 23 Nov 2012, 13:18

I just want to give a shout out to all my Team Zeta peeps, and a big thank you to everyone who specifically chose to come to Desert Bus during the "off hours". It's not an easy thing to try to keep that energy going when everything inside you is saying GO TO SLEEP. Team Zeta really stepped up again this year, and my only regret was not being able to spend more time on site myself.

As for Desert Bus in general, it was amazing! The whole feeling of the event was so positive, even Matt "Rainbow Crash" Wiggins couldn't put a downer on it. Things ran 100% smoother, and the result was happier volunteers and crew. It showed.

I can't think of a single change between last year and this year that didn't make the show better. The changes to challenges, the extra drivers, and the backend system.

Also, holy shit you raised a lot of money! O.O
#TeamKroze
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 23 Nov 2012, 13:22

I would also like to thank LRR for putting on such a good show for the past week. As usual it was very enjoyable to watch all your crazy goings on. I just wish I had enough money to donate and bid on some of those amazing lots you had!

I going to make sure that when I start earning enough money I'll bid and donate like crazy to make up for the past 6 Desert Buses. : )
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 23 Nov 2012, 13:31

All I can say is WOW! Ive only been a fan of LRR for a few months now and this was my first Desert Bus experience> This completely blew me away in terms of how much money was raised and how much work LRR and friends put into it.
The moment I learned what Desert Bus was I started watching clips from last years online and immediately started sharing it with my friends. I couldn't get a crossed to any of them exactly what Desert Bus was so I ended up watching it alone and am so glad I did. I may be unemployed but I gave the $10 I had in my account and I don't regret it. Hopefully next year I will be able to contribute more.
Everyone who participates in Desert Bus is an amazing person weather your actively on screen doing a challenge, behind the screens working shipping or tech or someone just watching everyone together is what makes Desert Bus happen.
Thank you to everyone involved, get some rest you earned it and congratulations.
ElementalAlchemist
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby ElementalAlchemist » 23 Nov 2012, 13:50

Having started with DB5 (and therefore this being my second Desert Bus), I have to say that even though I thought DB5 was super amazing, you guys really stepped it up even more and made DB6 pretty much the best thing ever. There was always something going on, and there wasn't shared frustration at only having 2 minutes every 8 hours to submit challenges or anything. It just seemed smoother and overall more exciting (higher energy from always having stuff to do?).

Also more than last year, I echo the above that it really did feel kinda like hanging out with LRR, even though we actually weren't and maybe you won't remember me at all, it was great and felt awesome. I'm looking forward to next year. ^_^

Of course, thank you to the crew, all the donors to this year's marathon, and all of Dr. Chat! We had a great run this year, and I'm glad my contributions to txircd went to use. :D To half a million in DB007!
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Postby square1 » 23 Nov 2012, 14:04

Thank you very much for an amazing week. This was my first year watching and catching clips after the fact on youtube was just not the same as seeing it live. Just an incredible event.

Thank you very much for looking at my challenge. I'll try to come up with something more reasonable next year! :)

Everyone involved in this is just so awesome, and I hope you get lots of rest this weekend!
Featherweight
First Video: The first unskippilbe

Postby Featherweight » 23 Nov 2012, 14:38

Another amazing year! I am so Proud of everyone In a 50 internet mile radius right now. A wonderful week of fun and raising one Bus ton of money for sick kids. I will defiantly be back next year with even bigger and better craft along stuff. So much love for all.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 23 Nov 2012, 14:57

I think there is something special about LRR. Every project they do is wonderful in some way. I don't just mean quality-wise either; they're just nice, decent people - not in some high moral way, but in a, "Yeah, they're good guys" kinda way. I think this influences everything they do, from Desert Bus to here on the forums. Every community around them is better than most others of the same type I've seen. So thanks, LRR. You make really awesome things happen. Keep doing what you're doing, and we'll keep being here to watch it.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Foxmar

Postby Foxmar » 23 Nov 2012, 14:59

Fayili wrote:I think there is something special about LRR. Every project they do is wonderful in some way. I don't just mean quality-wise either; they're just nice, decent people - not in some high moral way, but in a, "Yeah, they're good guys" kinda way. I think this influences everything they do, from Desert Bus to here on the forums. Every community around them is better than most others of the same type I've seen. So thanks, LRR. You make really awesome things happen. Keep doing what you're doing, and we'll keep being here to watch it.

Whale Plaid indeed!
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 23 Nov 2012, 15:44

Out of curiosity, do we know why Epic Camera Glitch went mini-viral? Did it get a reddit link or something? Obviously not the first time LRR has created a viral video, but I don't think there was a concerted effort on this one. :D
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Foxmar

Postby Foxmar » 23 Nov 2012, 15:48

I don't know but I know I linked it to people on Facebook and twitter, so if everyone who watched desert bus live went and linked it and then the people who got the link watched it I bet it could go viral fast. Maybe that's why no clue really.
Terminus
First Video: Unskippable ("Vanquish")

Postby Terminus » 23 Nov 2012, 16:28

Fayili wrote:I think there is something special about LRR. Every project they do is wonderful in some way. I don't just mean quality-wise either; they're just nice, decent people - not in some high moral way, but in a, "Yeah, they're good guys" kinda way. I think this influences everything they do, from Desert Bus to here on the forums. Every community around them is better than most others of the same type I've seen. So thanks, LRR. You make really awesome things happen. Keep doing what you're doing, and we'll keep being here to watch it.

This. ALL of this.

Too much good stuff at DB6, but Tally's rendition of Zia's theme from Bastion was extraordinarily amazing. I had originally figured on just buying the shirt and poster and then that'd be it (not too much money in the ol' bankbook), but that song made me create a donor account and drop some more money.

Thank you to everybody involved. *goes back to his withdrawal symptoms*
As Yahtzee said, there is no middle finger big enough.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 23 Nov 2012, 16:39

I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm running on far less sleep than usual (as I'm sure a lot of us are) so I apologize if anything doesn't make sense.

Yaxley wrote:Allow me to echo the "looking forward to it" sentiment. Desert Bus is such a big deal to me that I seriously start getting excited about it in March when you tweet about planning meetings. And even after months of anticipation on my part, you not only live up to it, but knock it out of the park. Thank you for all of your hard work, dedication, and shenanigans.

So very much this. Desert Bus is like a vacation for me — a chance to shut down everything else, and take a week to just have fun. It is, without exaggeration, the time I look forward to more than any other each year.

This was my fourth Desert Bus, and I think it was by far the best. It's the first year you've had my constant, focused attention. In the past, I've often had it on while playing games, working on projects, or that sort of thing. I'd find slow times to get up and do other things. This year? Just getting away for a trip to the bathroom was difficult. Out of the... I don't even want to guess how many hours... probably well over 80... that I spent watching, my attention was rarely taken away. The entertainment to slow moments ratio this year was astoundingly high.

Fayili wrote:I think there is something special about LRR. Every project they do is wonderful in some way. I don't just mean quality-wise either; they're just nice, decent people - not in some high moral way, but in a, "Yeah, they're good guys" kinda way. I think this influences everything they do, from Desert Bus to here on the forums.

I agree with this entirely. Over the last couple of years, LRR has evolved from being a group of people online that I enjoy the work of to an amazing, inspirational team that I respect immensely. The level of interaction they have with their fans is awesome. Thanks to behind the scenes videos, Twitter, the Magic live streams, LRRcasts (when they show up :P), and most of all Desert Bus, you seem like real people, not just dancing entertainment monkeys. You are unquestionably my favourite people that I've never met (which is something I really need to do soon). Keep doing what you're doing. :)
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
HoleInTheHead
First Video: Schrodinger's Fridge

Postby HoleInTheHead » 23 Nov 2012, 16:46

I'm so glad someone did this before I got to it. Desert Bus is easily one of my favorite times of the year, and it's obviously for a spectacular cause. Also helps keep me up all night to work on projects lol. Thanks LRR for being awesome as always.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 23 Nov 2012, 16:54

Thank you so much to everyone who worked so hard to make this year's DB so fantastic. I watched as much as I could and caught some really fantastic moments, like the million lifetime and most of Ken Stacey. I'm happy I was able to contribute in some small way.

You are all absolutely amazing and I'll be looking forward to next year!
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada

Return to “General Discussion”