Desert Bus 6 Appreciation Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Re: Desert Bus 6 Appreciation Thread

Postby Lord Chrusher » 23 Nov 2012, 19:42

Thank you to everyone involved: crew, crafters, sponsors, chat, donors - for a great DBFH! As always Desert Bus was a great experience. I have to say having a smart phone made following and watching DBFH much easier while not neglecting work and friends. Also I should try and be well rested before the start of DBFH.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Phlakes
First Video: Maybe one of the early ENNs

Postby Phlakes » 23 Nov 2012, 19:58

Alright, now that I've had a bit of time to decompress-

Desert Bus is (for srs, every srs) my favorite time of the year. Like everyone else. I'm one of those people that always likes to have something on in the background, to where I sort of half-absorb podcasts and Let's Plays and things while I'm working, but Desert Bus somehow keeps all my attention through the whole thing. I don't want to sleep when it's going on. And thanks to a pair of wireless headphones, this year I'd turn the monitor toward the bed and watch until I fell asleep naturally at 4 AM. And somehow, going against my entire not-a-morning-person nature, I never got up after 10 over the whole week (and I'm sure I'll enjoy catching up on that sleep tonight), not because I was trying, but because I wanted to get right back to watching.

What people have been saying about how watching it is almost like hanging out with the whole DB crew is exactly what makes it as good as it is, and probably why you've managed to do so much with it. Since I already brought it up, this is something that makes a huge, huge difference to me in Let's Plays. People like NintendoCapriSun who are honest and genuine and all that are so much more enjoyable to watch than the "celebrities" that have to try so hard. I've watched a lot of other Desert Bus-like events, and no one has ever been so involved with the community like you guys. Overall, too, I mean you even let viewers write episodes. Nobody would ever consider that. That's crazy. And the thing about Desert Bus is that it's just a LRR thing or a DB crew thing, you managed to make it entirely about the audience and the charity. Which is really impressive.

TL;DR, I wish DB7 was starting already.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 23 Nov 2012, 20:04

No we all need a long break before the insanity begins again.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Nov 2012, 20:22

Lord Chrusher wrote:No we all need a long break before the insanity begins again.
A long break? How long? Perhaps about a year long? ;)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 24 Nov 2012, 00:09

I am appreciative that DB6 made me aware of the turtles forever movie. I just finished watching it, and it was amazing. Thank you desert bus.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
KyrieEleison
First Video: Desert Bus 5

Postby KyrieEleison » 24 Nov 2012, 01:06

ecocd wrote:Out of curiosity, do we know why Epic Camera Glitch went mini-viral? Did it get a reddit link or something? Obviously not the first time LRR has created a viral video, but I don't think there was a concerted effort on this one. :D

According to some of the video comments, YouTube apparently put it on the front page for an unspecified amount of time.

I'll basically expand on the blog comment I left earlier: I discovered DB5 midway through the run last year, so this was my first Desert Bus start-to-finish experience, and I was looking forward to it ever since the first spring announcements. I even submitted for the Craft-Along (and that's the first time any of my crafts have ever earned any sort of money!) I was even able to join in the chat, which enhanced my Desert Bus experience immensely. Chat was a blast, you guys. Thank you!

Of course, none of the above would be possible without the tireless work of the DB crew. It's clear that every organizer and coordinator puts a lot of effort into making DB run smoothly, which increases the time that can be spent on the fun stuff, like being silly for the children. I'm already looking forward to DB007: For Your Special Eyes Only, but in the meantime, enjoy your rest. You've earned it!
It's not epic unless it's dactylic hexameter.

landofanalie.wordpress.com
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 24 Nov 2012, 03:37

The camera glitch video is now the very first Google result for "camera glitch", not just Youtube result, but actual Google result. It's also on the second page for "epic camera".

Might just be because it's new, but I thought that was cool.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 24 Nov 2012, 04:41

Just watched the Turtles Forever film, I want a Turtles prime TV Show now.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 24 Nov 2012, 04:51

AdmiralMemo wrote:
Lord Chrusher wrote:No we all need a long break before the insanity begins again.
A long break? How long? Perhaps about a year long? ;)

Nah, don't worry - not THAT long. Just 11 months and three weeks. ;)
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 24 Nov 2012, 05:35

Too long. PANIC!
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Terminus
First Video: Unskippable ("Vanquish")

Postby Terminus » 24 Nov 2012, 05:38

ENGAGING ALERT STATE PANIC. OPENING ALL COMPARTMENTS TO VACUUM.
As Yahtzee said, there is no middle finger big enough.
Valliac
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Valliac » 24 Nov 2012, 21:00

Dix went and made a Spotify playlist of the songs played during DB6.

http://open.spotify.com/user/dixonij/pl ... WcKa9I8ayK
"Also known as a 'Trigger-operated EVERYONE deterrent'."
Streaming at: http://www.twitch.tv/Valliac

Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 24 Nov 2012, 22:52

This was my first Desert Bus, i had watched the DB5 Torrent earlier this year so i knew how it worked and who some of the people that we don't see except in Desertbus was.
But it could not have prepared me for the real thing. Even though i don't have artistic talent to participate in the art challenges or as a student the cash to participate in the auctions.
The fact that i could as a joke in the chat suggest a "Balance Off" and see being done on the screen moments later (I still call foul play on Zen Master Paul's defeat) made me feel like a part of something bigger.
I would also like to thank the Mod's and the chat for being very nice and open to me and other first timers that didn't always get what was going on.
In the end i would like to thank the "Strike Team" for their many uploads that i have been watching since the final crash so I could watch what i have missed and didn't have to go cold turkey on some thing that in only a week have become a part of my daily rutine
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Thysane

Postby Thysane » 25 Nov 2012, 03:47

Watching Desert Bus is always the highlight of the last half of the year for me. Last year, I missed most of it due to lack of internet, and had the sads. This year, I'm glad to say I caught most of. I had it streaming pretty much all day long, only muting it occasionally to get my daily quota of words for NaNoWriMo.

What really made this year's DB special for me were the art challenges, oddly enough. I haven't done full pieces of drawing in ages, maybe even months, and the art challenges reminded me how much fun it was. The time-limits helped hugely with that. Maybe it's a little narcissistic, but still. Thanks for getting me drawing again. I may not have won any of the challenges, and in one case I missed out on the deadline by quite a wide margin, but seeing the competition was inspiring.

Kinda makes me want to take part in the craft-along when it rolls around this year, so I can actually contribute something!
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 25 Nov 2012, 08:03

SilPho wrote:The camera glitch video is now the very first Google result for "camera glitch", not just Youtube result, but actual Google result. It's also on the second page for "epic camera".

Bear in mind that if you're signed into a Google Account when you do the search, Google adjusts the rankings a bit based on the data they have about you.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 25 Nov 2012, 10:44

Keab42 wrote:
SilPho wrote:The camera glitch video is now the very first Google result for "camera glitch", not just Youtube result, but actual Google result. It's also on the second page for "epic camera".

Bear in mind that if you're signed into a Google Account when you do the search, Google adjusts the rankings a bit based on the data they have about you.

Hooray data mining!
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 25 Nov 2012, 10:51

Yup. Plays havoc with our SEO reporting. You end up having to use Google Chrome in Incognito mode.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
HURRRR
First Video: uhhh... prolly ENN... most of it...

Postby HURRRR » 25 Nov 2012, 21:12

DB6 was my first and it was amazing. I joined the chat just out of curiosity, typed in HURRRR not anticipating that I'd in fact spend the next 15 hours and every free moment thereafter enraptured by DB's majesty. Suddenly I had a donor account, also HURRRR, and then when it was over I came here. The rest, as they say, was the thing that happened.

On a related note, I know there's an obvious answer to this but where can I find the last hour or two of DB6? I passed out and missed it and am now sad :(
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Nov 2012, 21:25

http://www.youtube.com/user/DesertBusForHope/videos

Most of DB6 is here. "the final leg I- IX" and Thank you's and Final Bus down"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Nov 2012, 21:27

As a matter of fact, you can find it right here! At least, all of the notable parts.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Nov 2012, 21:28

Sorry about the double...

db5 was my first, but this one just seemed so much more interactive than last year. Those of you who have been around for awhile, is this what the first few were like? or closer to it? At least half my "Dear Dr LRR" questions got answered. and all but one of my challenges got done.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Nov 2012, 21:36

The challenges this year were certainly a massive improvement over last year. I think they made the text on the monitor bigger this year, which made it easier to read things as they flew by.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
HURRRR
First Video: uhhh... prolly ENN... most of it...

Postby HURRRR » 25 Nov 2012, 22:30

Thank both of you fine gentlemen.

Also might I add, Lord Hosk, 'twas some mighty impressive bidwarring. Mad props are in order. I didn't get any questions answered but I did get told by Scott Kurtz for repeatedly asking the crew to put a hat on K-Straub. He said to "stop trying to control his head"
*flies away*

[also, be serious, Master Gunner. RE: your location... You live in the maritimes and I bet even you forget about P.E.I.]
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Nov 2012, 22:49

Of course I don't forget about PEI. If it weren't for you, New Brunswick might actually be known for something. Instead, you get all the potato glory.

Also, I used to live in Summerside, as much as I may try to forget it.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 25 Nov 2012, 23:07

I'm always so happy during DB, so I have trouble saying what i loved the most. So let me say it this way...

Counting down the days...

Return to “General Discussion”