Pile of Shame: Assassin's Creed, or Gears of War?

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.

Which one should I attack first?

Assassin's Creed
85%
Gears of War
15%

Total votes: 34
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Pile of Shame: Assassin's Creed, or Gears of War?

Postby JackSlack » 27 Nov 2012, 18:42

So, every gamer has their Pile of Shame, the games they own that they just never finished.

I have a big number of them, but there's two which occur to me immediately: Gears of War and Assassin's Creed. Both were massive, high profile games, both had numerous sequels, and I own both the first and second installment of each.

So, here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to force myself to damn well play through one. And I'm going to blog about it. Not quite a let's play, since I have no video/picture capture to use, but just blogging the experience. I will definitely play the first and second installment, to completion, and if I feel like I could stand it, I'll then move onto the third.

So, which one should I do first?

(Note: I put in a vote for Assassin's Creed, since my co-worker put her weight behind that one.)
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: Pile of Shame: Assassin's Creed, or Gears of War?

Postby Kapol » 27 Nov 2012, 19:16

Assassin's Creed is likely better. I personally like Gears, but I think AC's gameplay is a bit more unique. Keep in mind that almost all the flaws in 1 are fixed in 2 while playing.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 27 Nov 2012, 23:21

I like both, but the sequels for AC are more inventive.
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 28 Nov 2012, 02:38

Assassin's Creed is fantastic, I've basically been trying to marathon through AC2, BroHood and Revelations, haven't got through BroHood in time for AC3 though, so I'm still going.

I haven't even finished Gears 3's campaign yet.. Gears 2, I think I managed to get through in co-op with a friend, never played Gears 1 XD
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 29 Nov 2012, 01:32

That's some very clear poll results :D

Going through AC2:Revelations myself now, it's a lot of fun but not that dissimilar to 2 and Brotherhood.
To answer the question you asked yourself in the opening thread, ask yourself this:
Which of these two series allows you to climb historical landmarks and then jump off of them?

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 29 Nov 2012, 14:41

I say play AC, but honestly it holds up way worse than gears does, especially comparing them to the newer games in the series, sure gears 2 and 3 flesh out multi and other aspects a lot more but it's basically the same stuff.

AC on the other hand is probably unplayable compared to AC2 Brotherhood and AC3, but it does have great atmosphere.
vazhkatsi
First Video: lrr rap

Postby vazhkatsi » 29 Nov 2012, 19:22

i have never played either series, not in part, not in the whole
Vazhkatsi- Devils Advocate
Devils Avocado
Tall Dude
Hoopy Frood
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 29 Nov 2012, 19:26

Assassin's Creed. Gears of War is awful.

Though if you're like me, you'll play that one first. And then FFXIII.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 29 Nov 2012, 19:43

OK, the people have clearly spoken. I'll begin playing Assassin's Creed tonight and write up my thoughts on it as I go.

Oh god, this means I need to play that opening again.

Oh god.
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 30 Nov 2012, 01:44

...it's probably fair to point out that I started my foray into the Assassiverse with the second game, giving the first one a complete miss.
Haven't really had any trouble following the plot of the later games without it (or as much of the plot as the player is supposed to follow, it goes a bit... weird at times).

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 30 Nov 2012, 01:56

zfubarz wrote:I say play AC, but honestly it holds up way worse than gears does, especially comparing them to the newer games in the series, sure gears 2 and 3 flesh out multi and other aspects a lot more but it's basically the same stuff.

AC on the other hand is probably unplayable compared to AC2 Brotherhood and AC3, but it does have great atmosphere.

I really disliked Brotherhood. It introduced the 'side-goal' mechanic that I despise, it forgot one of the major selling points of the game, and I just generally thought it wasn't that great. The best in the series is still 2 for me. But I haven't played 3.

That said, I think I liked AC1 best in terms of time period, setting, and story concepts (even if the story itself fell a bit flat).
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 30 Nov 2012, 10:23

I think we can all agree that Revelations is just a time waster though... I mean at one point you literally have to spy on a florist to find where he gets them so you don't have to pay him... Ooooo stick it to the man old Ezio!
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 01 Dec 2012, 14:37

zfubarz wrote:I think we can all agree that Revelations is just a time waster though... I mean at one point you literally have to spy on a florist to find where he gets them so you don't have to pay him... Ooooo stick it to the man old Ezio!

That's what I do all the time! Are you saying that's it's a stupid thing to do? Florists have it too good anyway,I'm not going to pay full price for their flowers.

Anyways, I think AC is better if you play them one after the other. Since with ACIII they were talking about stuff from a couple of AC's ago and I had no idea what they were talking about.

Although I forget what I was doing a week ago, so it's probably just me.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 03 Dec 2012, 01:22

Gears!!! Do it. Now!
^( " )^
winner!
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 03 Dec 2012, 05:52

Assassin's Creed, even if the story becomes increasingly...odd, shall we say, as the games go on.
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 05 Dec 2012, 07:41

Dubious_wolf wrote:Gears!!! Do it. Now!
Nah, the achievements in the AssCre games are far easier to get.

Though having a Seriously(1|2|3) chivo is its own sad and pathetic badge of honor...

Wait, what, gameplay? Story? There's reasons to play games besides achievements?

You guys are weird.
@mhasko
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 02 Feb 2013, 18:15

Huh. That's a pretty convincing poll result there. I'm a big fan of the AC games. AC1 is consistently challenging though compared to the rest of the series - they do not give you a spare inch in that first game, which is part of what makes it fun and satisfying to succeed :)

How goes the progress?
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 02 Feb 2013, 18:46

... I got bored and stopped playing again. :(
wartjr2373
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wartjr2373 » 06 Feb 2013, 14:07

Shame!

I kid. I actually never finished Assassin's Creed either. I found it kinda boring. Folks assure me that the gameplay improves, but I haven't returned to the series.
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 06 Feb 2013, 14:14

I found the gameplay in both AC1 and 2 to be fun, but quickly wore on to been pointless and repetitive. I didn't play either game for more than a day.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 06 Feb 2013, 14:19

I always get shouted down when I say I found AC1 the most enjoyable of the series. Yes, the gameplay and, most importantly, structure is the worst of all of them, and the cinematic sections are awful, but the plot is probably the simplest and best of all the games and the actual gameplay is the purest of all the games. As Yahtzee pointed out, by the later ACII games you are so laden down with weaponry that you never use half of them; in ACI your priority is solely 'run over buildings, jump off tall things, stab people'. I loved the simplicity.

ACII improved on a lot of the gameplay flaws and offered a deeper, more complex experience, but I got distracted for a lot of it because I found the structuring odd. Yes, the sub-missions you had to do in ACI were dull and boring, but I found myself happily grinding my way through every single one, and that time spent made each kill feel really special. In ACII they come thick and fast, significant characters dropping like flies, and it just makes the story feel... not special, in some way. The climax of ACI is also the best of the bunch so far, with a massive fight that actually feels tense and difficult rather than boring (Mass Effect 1 achieved a similar effect, with Saren being SO much harder, yet still doable, compared to all previous bad guys). And, in ACI, there is no need to faff about with the achievements that somewhat detracted from the experience in later games. In terms of gameplay options and execution, ACB and ACR are vastly superior games to both, but the story feels so pointless as to ruin a lot of the experience and detract from the fun of running over rooftops knifing people; although having said that there are a couple of dungeons in those two games which are nothing but freerunning awesomeness, which is made genuinely better by the achievement setting a time limit by making the pace fast, frenetic and fun.

Right, now everyone feel free to justifiably call me an idiot.

EDIT: I forgot to mention; I should point out that I never got round to playing ACIII after hearing bad reviews about it and resolved to get Dishonoured instead. I have so far played neither. Any recommendations?
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
wartjr2373
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wartjr2373 » 06 Feb 2013, 14:29

My pseudonym is lx wrote:...with Saren being SO much harder, yet still doable, compared to all previous bad guys

That's what she said.
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 06 Feb 2013, 14:30

Fair play
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 06 Feb 2013, 14:36

Gears is probably the most fun I've ever had in a video game.

Horde mode + 2 Xboxes (Xbi?) + 4 ppl.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 06 Feb 2013, 14:42

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:EDIT: I forgot to mention; I should point out that I never got round to playing ACIII after hearing bad reviews about it and resolved to get Dishonoured instead. I have so far played neither. Any recommendations?

Dishonoured is much, much, much more fun. I recommend playing it, but don't get too hung up on achievements. There's a late level which will mess the hell up any efforts you make to ghost the whole game, especially on your first playthrough.

Return to “Video Games”