Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 25 Dec 2012, 13:56

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:I thought it was a little too cheesey, but then again, most Doctor Who episodes are these days.

Doctor Who has always been quite cheesy. That's one of the endearing things about it.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 25 Dec 2012, 14:28

I hope the new companion is nothing like Rose/Amy. For a start it'll be annoyingly awkward when River meets Oswin.

"Yes Oswin, this is my wife. Please kindly stop acting like a female character written by a male writer. It's very stereotypical".

It would make me happy if now the only living organism to advance sexually onto the Doctor is River because snogging can get cliche'd. I want sexual tension out of my Fantasy series please. The Doctor is married. I don't want awkward 'unfaithful' scenes.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 25 Dec 2012, 16:12

Geoff_B wrote:... you mean Sontaran?

Yes. I always call the the sultanas so I forget their actual name.

Dave-O_Boy wrote:Doctor Who has always been quite cheesy. That's one of the endearing things about it.

I know, but I think the ending was too much of a "Oh come on!" type of cliché cheesy ending. And then the connection with previous episodes was just so stupid. I mean I'm a great fan of stories/series that try and interweave plots, stories and themes throughout a whole series(es), but this just had me rolling my eyes and saying "Really? That's what we're going to be doing here?".

Also, sorry for being vague, but I don't want to spoil the ending for those who haven't seen it yet. But I assume you know what I'm talking about.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 25 Dec 2012, 21:54

I seen that ending and was kinda like "Really, that's what they're going with? Well ok then."

In other words, I'm ok with it.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 26 Dec 2012, 00:11

I preferred her more in the Dalek episode, but I still would very much like to see her in Jack Harkness in the same room. Talk about making the Doctor blush.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
CommanderKeen
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby CommanderKeen » 26 Dec 2012, 01:26

To be clear, I think we would all just prefer Jack to be back *at all* regardless of who he's on screen with. :D

Liked the episode- Served it's purpose to show the emotional effects of TATM and to start the second half of series 7. All the while giving a traditional Doctor Who experience.

New companion- Interesting that the doctor finds the Oswin/Clara/yosaffbridge mystery more interesting than the companion themself. Perhaps in a way to avoid tension/dealing with River?

New Tardis- New on the inside, old on the outside. Interesting that symbolism, wonder if it'll come into play in back half of S7.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 26 Dec 2012, 02:04

So, for real... any idea what is up with Clara? Cause I have no clue - I thought it was just going to be a fake-out death, and then they'd go out on an adventure and she ended up inside the Dalek at a later point in their friendship. But clearly that is not the case. Clone?

(Also, I really liked the episode a lot. I thought it was a much better special than the past two years, and also would have been that much better if she hadn't kissed The Doctor. SIIIIIIIIIGH. I really hate that. Martha's crush on The Doctor made her uninteresting, and Amy kissing him made me not like her for a long time.)
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Dec 2012, 02:39

Jillers wrote:...would have been that much better if she hadn't kissed The Doctor. SIIIIIIIIIGH

Yes but this is during the female-suppressed Victorian era. So her initiating the kiss shows us she is a strong character who defies social conventions.... yeah, I really hated it myself. There are better ways to show that element of the character without snogging the Doctor.
CommanderKeen
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby CommanderKeen » 26 Dec 2012, 03:40

I think you're all over-analyzing a kiss, and it was probably done as a quick easy way, in addition to THE ENTIRE REST OF HER SCREEN TIME to emphasize how much she is like the Doctor. Remember, we know that the Doctor is hella-old and we tend to not think of him in that way, but Clara/Oswin/yosaffbridge *doesn't*. The Doctor is interested in finding out her mystery because she is a lot like him.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 26 Dec 2012, 04:11

The new TARDIS control room seemed a lot smaller than recent ones, much more old style.

The Great Intelligence was apparently a reference to former adventures (specifically the tube map reference) as opposed to setting up future adventures.

Nice to see these callbacks. I think they're really going to have fun with the 50th year things. I'm still hoping for a multi-doctor episode to celebrate the anniversary though...
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 26 Dec 2012, 05:05

Re: The Great Intelligence and the London Underground:

The Abominable Snowmen
The Web Of Fear

Fantastic touch I thought :D Kind of "Nice job breaking it Doctor" :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
CaptainEnder7
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby CaptainEnder7 » 26 Dec 2012, 08:47

I have to admit I really enjoyed this episode.

The theme tune re-arrangement was pretty cool, though I have to admit I do enjoy the more orchestral versions from earlier in the new series. The visuals from the opening titles were ok, and I really liked the return of the face.

The episode itself, I thought was pretty good. I thought the kiss was a bit unnecessary but didn't have too much of a problem with it.

"Ok, so, some sort of well-dressed ostrich. What's the next move?"

"CaptainEnder7: Space Asshole and Rogue Space Pooper" - Kathleen (and Graham) Commercial
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Dec 2012, 11:00

Seems interesting with the hints of the Old Ones appearing (the GI) and Omega(Omega II) so far.
tbug

Postby tbug » 26 Dec 2012, 11:34

Time to actually slog through the audio files of The Abominable Snowman and The Web of Fear, I guess. I think there are some reconstructions around, so I'll try to find those. I watched Downtime recently, so at least I have that behind me.

What's the "Omega II" theory, MM? Does it tie into the whole "Doctor Who?" thing? I've kind of been assuming that that was a continuation of the Cartmel Master Plan.
Dale
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Dec 2012, 13:23

http://thegraskescorner.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/omega%202

is the general gist of the Omega thing.

Well ish.
Trying to find the really good crack-pot theory that screen-captures every-single symbol in New Who which is of an Omega symbol with the Roman numerals II over it.
Last edited by Merrymaker_Mortalis on 26 Dec 2012, 13:57, edited 2 times in total.
tbug

Postby tbug » 26 Dec 2012, 13:32

Excellent! Thank-you!
Dale
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Dec 2012, 14:00

These aren't spoilers. These are just screen-caps.

If it has nothing to do with Omega. It does mean that the Monks in Flesh and Stone 2 parter are affiliated with The Silence. Or the other way round. The link cannot be coincidence.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 26 Dec 2012, 14:12

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Dec 2012, 15:11

Funny how Clara twice mentions running before death, as did Riversong.
same people?
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 26 Dec 2012, 15:22

Oh I hope not...
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 26 Dec 2012, 16:11

I enjoyed the episode, I agree the kiss seemed unnecessary to either the story or the character, but it's not a big gripe.

I'm not sold on the new opening titles, they're very different to the evolution we've seen with them since nuWho started, but I suspect it'll grow on me.

I think combined with Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, I quite like the more Doctor + scooby gang storylines. I don't think they should necessarily become the norm, but I'd be in favour of a return to 2-3 regular travelling companions (although without the "couple" angle linking any of them for a change [in nuWho at least]).

As for the ending and what it means for the remainder of the series (remember this is just a Christmas themed mid-series episode rather than a stand-alone like most previous specials), I'm suitably intrigued by the mystery.
I do wonder though if the Moffat era is going to end up being remembered solely for ALL the companions having more complex time-lines than the Doctor - even Brian williams ended up with a grandson older than him.

Also, trailer for the 2nd half of the series!!! - with another appearance of Vastra, Jenny & Strax, plus a new Cybermen design that I much prefer to the current one.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 26 Dec 2012, 20:58

When you said "Jenny" I thought you meant a different Jenny and I got let down. Aww man. Still looks fun though.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 27 Dec 2012, 03:18

So did I the first time i heard "Jenny" was involved in the christmas episode :P although I guess technically the doctors daughter/clone should be spelt Genny seeing as her name is short for "generated anomaly".
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Dec 2012, 04:41

Clara is a regeneration of Genny?

Clara #1 is a Junior Entertainment Manager
Clara #2 is a Governess

Both deal with children, in less I mis-understood Junior Entertainment Manager.

I accidentally dropped some screen caps again. Sorry.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 27 Dec 2012, 05:09

I'm guessing junior in this case is the same as a junior minister, as in to do with seniority with position. Not junior in relation to children.

Unless it's meant to be vague and could be read both ways, but I presume if they meant children they'd have called her a "Children's Entertainment Manager"
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!

Return to “General Discussion”