THQ RIP

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

THQ RIP

Postby JackSlack » 23 Jan 2013, 14:07

Dibria
First Video: The Job

Re: THQ RIP

Postby Dibria » 23 Jan 2013, 14:30

Not really surprising, still, another big name from my childhood gone.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 23 Jan 2013, 14:35

RIP - Rest In Peace or Rot In Purgatory? :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 23 Jan 2013, 14:37

This is a shame, but in all honesty THQ never had that many fantastic games. My favourite one was Titan Quest(honestly a great RPG that surprised me when I bought it) but apart from that they did have that many games that wowed me.

I've heard Saint's Row and Darksiders were good, but I personally never played them.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 23 Jan 2013, 14:38

Say what you will about THQ, but they helped produce some games I really enjoyed. The Saints Row series, Metro 2033, the new South Park game looked good (coming from someone who doesn't like SP), and so forth. This will likely be very bad for gaming in the near future. THQ was a pretty big developer at one point, and a lot of the money they lost I believe was on newer IPs (like Metro 2033, which didn't seem to sell that well). If this is accurate or at least thought to be by other major publishers, the amount of new IPs we see could shrink even further.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 23 Jan 2013, 14:45

They also had the Warhammer 40,000 license. I don't think I've played many of their games apart from Dawn of War. I have a load of them sitting in my Steam list though.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 23 Jan 2013, 19:07

This probably means no Darksiders 3, Saint's Row goes to a dubious foster home over with Deep Silver/Koch Media, and the South Park license and THQ Montreal go to Ewwwbisoft. :( At least EvilAnonymous and Bliztivision kept their slimy paws out of this fresh grave. :?

Ah, well "everything man-made breaks, including promises".

Thank you THQ, for publishing games that I've enjoyed; may your valuable, creative staff find profitable and meaningful employment elsewhere in the industry, and may the inevitable deadwood that hindered things or just ticked off their co-workers move on to some other industry where they'll do less damage...

JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 23 Jan 2013, 19:07

Ouch. I'd forgotten THQ owned Vigil. Nobody bought them, and thus the studio is officially dust. No more Darksiders.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 23 Jan 2013, 19:39

Yea, Darksiders is likely gone to the mists at this point. I wasn't a big fan of what I played of the first, but it's still too bad since some people did enjoy it.

The main concern when it comes to South Park is that the studio that makes South Park was contending they couldn't sell the license without their permission. If so, then the purchase of it was illegal and will shove the game into gaming limbo until things are straightened around.
EikoandMog

Postby EikoandMog » 23 Jan 2013, 19:53

From what I heard, Platinum Games were interested in Vigil. THAT would have been amazing news.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 23 Jan 2013, 22:13

EikoandMog wrote:From what I heard, Platinum Games were interested in Vigil. THAT would have been amazing news.

They are interested in Darksiders, not Vigil, and only if it is cheap.

I really hope someone comes through and snaps up Darksiders and Vigil, I played through Darksiders 1 and 2 in the past month and they were surprisingly good. My only real disappointment was the lack of meaningful story progression in the second game; a disappointment now compounded by the possibility that there will never be a third game.
and now; back to me.
empath

Postby empath » 23 Jan 2013, 22:41

The Darksiders IP will probably get kicked around for a while and then go cheap, but Vigil is almost definitely defunct, and even if it does get bought, it won't really be the same as the staff was already dismissed. :(

I'm meh about the first's gameplay (thirty years plus of industry development and evolution and we're STILL playing platformers? ;) ) and the plot is...I dunno, just a little off(?), but DAMN, if listening to Hamill taunt me didn't make it interesting. :)
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 23 Jan 2013, 22:47

I hope that whoever ends up with the Saint's Row license makes some better use of it than SR3... that series peaked at 2, it really did.
Of course it's sad for the people involved directly, but their recent releases haven't really been up my alley anyway.
And at least they didn't get sucked up into the creativity voids that are Activision and EA :D (as somebody already pointed out)

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 23 Jan 2013, 23:37

Mara Kalat wrote:I hope that whoever ends up with the Saint's Row license makes some better use of it than SR3... that series peaked at 2, it really did.

While also being sympathetic to those now out of a job, or worrying about their job with their new parent companies, I kind of was hoping Saints Row would not get bought up. :? I wasn't a huge fan of SR3 either, and honestly, it seemed as good a conclusion to the series as would ever be gotten.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 25 Jan 2013, 02:46

According to Volitions Twitter feed, Red Faction was not include with the sale of their studio. So it looks like they are just Saints Row now. I hope they come up with something new, I'd hate to see them pushed into a yearly sequel scenario.
and now; back to me.

Return to “Video Games”