General Tabletop Discussion

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

General Tabletop Discussion

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Jan 2013, 12:04

What the title says.

Both of my RPG campaigns (Alternity and Fate:Diaspora) are currently on temporary hiatus until everyone is actually free at the same time.

In the meantime, last Friday was my faculty's monthly boardgame night, and I finally played a game that lasted longer than Mansions of Madness (probably only because of our unfamiliarity with the rules though). The Battlestar Galactica boardgame is most fun, though we (the humans) won purely through fluke. The Cylons had us beat fair and square by that point.

I still need to actually get a group together for Twilight Imperium one of these days.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
cuddlyblade
First Video: reduce your footprint

Re: General Tabletop Discussion

Postby cuddlyblade » 31 Jan 2013, 09:11

Battlestar galactica is quite a fun game. I'm surprised that the humans won. In all the times I've palyed it and seen it played I have never seen the humans win ever. Always wanted to play Twilight Imperium but unfortunately I have never had the 4-5 hours to set aside to play it.
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 31 Jan 2013, 09:23

We only won because the guy playing the other cylon got tired of been in the brig (though he was actually thrown in before he became a cylon), and quit the game instead of rejoining the cylon fleet for some reason. Still, we barely managed to get to the point where we needed one more jump, all the resources in the red, and then the president/cylon revealed himself and sent two of us to jail. Thankfully his crisis card upped the jump track to where we could just make it, and the other guy in jail had an executive action card to let the remaining human player win the game before it was the cylon's turn again.

By all rights, we should never have made it.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 31 Jan 2013, 10:36

I've played twice, and both time the humans won with one of their resources at 1. It's a shockingly well made game, especially the extent to which it captures the feel of the show.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 31 Jan 2013, 16:32

My wife, a good friend and I had a hilariously fun game of Gloom lately. Highlights:

A flood took Dark's Den of Depravity, destroying it. In the aftermath, a roving band of mice set up a tyrannical dictatorship and murdered two of the carnies in brutal public executions.

It turns out Hemlock Hall keeps tigers in the basement for the purposes of torturing their enemies.

The most tragic thing in the word is a teddy bear with an implanted brain, who can feel pain, sorrow, hurt and disappointment, but cannot move even an inch.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 31 Jan 2013, 16:43

I got so much mileage out of the teddy bear.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 31 Jan 2013, 18:08

HNNNG I have Gloom and like 3 expansions for it and basically no one to play it with i am so jealous it hurts HLAGHBLAHGHBLAHGFBLURRR

/jephjacques
headband
First Video: Decadent Sports League

Postby headband » 31 Jan 2013, 18:11

Weirdest thing. You know the whole uproar about the whole "Twilight becoming an alicorn princess" thing? (well, you non bronies probably don't, so lucky you XD) Well, from what some of the writers have been saying, they are going to re-imagine the princess concept a bit and basically make them that world's equivalent to a paladin. Now, because my brain works in a weird way, I now have the decided to roll up a DnD princess paladin character.

So, exactly how feasible can this concept be and how much mocking will this post get me?
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 31 Jan 2013, 18:23

A paladin seems like a reasonable class for a princess to be, and I have no plans at the moment to mock you for your post.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 31 Jan 2013, 19:34

A Princess Paladin? That seems insanely good.

To me, the obvious option is to make it so her father was determined a King, not a Queen, would rule after him, so he insisted she take religious vows to be ineligible to rule. She bucked his order to be a cleric, however, becoming a paladin instead. That gives you a surly, angry paladin, which is a nice twist on the usual. Hell, I'd play that in a heartbeat.
headband
First Video: Decadent Sports League

Postby headband » 31 Jan 2013, 20:31

JackSlack wrote:A Princess Paladin? That seems insanely good.

To me, the obvious option is to make it so her father was determined a King, not a Queen, would rule after him, so he insisted she take religious vows to be ineligible to rule. She bucked his order to be a cleric, however, becoming a paladin instead. That gives you a surly, angry paladin, which is a nice twist on the usual. Hell, I'd play that in a heartbeat.

That's actually pretty cool. Better than what I was thinking. You don't mind if I use it? (I mean, these kinda things aren't exclusive so it can't stop you from using the idea, right?)
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 31 Jan 2013, 22:46

Go right ahead.
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 02 Feb 2013, 17:49

I'm involved in a weekly Dark Heresy RPG campaign over Skype. We've run it for about 2 years now (originally fortnightly until a few months ago when the Rogue Trader RPG we ran on the alternate Thursdays had to go on hiatus due to the GM having health problems) and are onto our 4th major investigation, with each investigation GMed by a different member of our group. We currently number 6, with three original players pull out over time and three replacements over time as well, we were originally all UK based and had met in the flesh at some point or other, but now also include a Swede and an American.

Our current GM reckons we've probably for about 4 or 5 more sessions left to go in the current story, after which it'll be my turn to take on the GMing role, the first time I'll have done so for an RPG - should be interesting!

At the moment Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader (both set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe) are the only RPGs I've played, but wouldn't mind trying others in the future.

As for boardgames, my family used to play lots when we were younger and we've had a recent resurgence with them, helped in part by about 5 being given as presents this Christmas, mostly games seen on Geek & Sundry's Tabletop given by me to others :)
EikoandMog
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby EikoandMog » 03 Feb 2013, 00:52

I've pretty much made a character for Pathfinder just as a thought exercise and I think I like it. It's an Aasimar Rogue. Starts out in a poor family living in the aqueducts before learning how to flatter and steal. The long term goal is to get in to high society where she belongs.

I should also mention that she'll stab just about anyone in the back in the metaphorical and literal sense if it means that goal goes forward. The aimed alignment is Lawful Evil. She knows where a knife is supposed to go but prefers the more underhanded, sneaky ways to get rid of someone than just plain murdering them. Current build is combat worthy but far better as a party face.
jiawen
First Video: Don't remember; maybe co-op with Yahtzee

Postby jiawen » 18 Feb 2013, 19:41

I have two main groups: a weekly group and a monthly group. In the monthly group, I GM Blade & Crown, the RPG that I wrote. In that, the characters are a wandering troupe of performers who have recently gotten up to their necks in intrigue.

In the weekly group, we have a rotating set of different games including Diaspora, Starblazer Adventures/Project Generations, at least two games of Blade & Crown and various one-shot/filler games, lately including Microscope. Microscope is a lot of fun, though I think it takes at least three hours to have a decently rounded session.

Also, just this past weekend, I went to Con of the North, where I played a whole bunch of great games.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 11 Mar 2013, 13:14

Huh. I can't believe I never thought of this before.

So, in Unknown Armies there's a school of magick that lets you make impressive Steampunky devices in exchange for giving up your memories. It's called Mechanomancy.

The first time anyone makes a Mechanomancer in one of my games, they're starting off in medias res, just outside a demolished building, with no clue how they got there, but a very polite robot butler standing next to them, wearing boxing gloves.
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 12 Mar 2013, 07:54

Went this weekend to ArcaniCon, the new dedicated Arcanis-themed Con, and had a blast. The during the big Battle interactive (think a dozen tables fighting in one war, with each tables successes or failures affecting all the others) the high point for me was that our biggest enemy wasn't the Elemental Demigod we fought, or the entire intelligent forest, but the fact that our most deadly enemies were swarms of Hummingbirds! Almost everyone at my table now has Phobia: Hummingbirds for their characters ;-)
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 26 Mar 2013, 18:18

Since this section is not nearly as active as it should be... conversation topics!

As of late my D&D group has been experimenting with a website that I thought might interest others. It's called Roll20, and the basic idea is that it's an online tabletop designed for groups that are spread out. The thing is, it's so well made that we've found it quicker, easier, and better than using minis on a battle map. As a tradeoff for a bit of extra prep work on the DM's (mine, in this case) it's sped up the game pretty significantly, even playing in person. Obviously everyone needs a laptop (or mobile device, if you subscribe), but if that's an option I recommend checking it out. If I didn't have enough work on my plate running my "real" campaign, I'd probably try to get a Runners game going with it.

Unrelated: I've been running the Age of Worms adventure path for just over a year now, and everyone is really liking it. Anyone else here run it or played in it?
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Preacher
First Video: The Job

Postby Preacher » 28 Mar 2013, 00:57

Actually Roll20 is kinda awesome, from the players point of view anyway. My group pretty live on different sides of the state, so getting together to game is pretty much only viable online. The only real flaw in it is the voice chat and camera functions which seem to flicker on and off, but that could merely be our connection.

From the DM's point of veiw. Well, our DM constantly bitches about taking an hour and a half to plan and create the campaigns.
Do you guys mind. I'm trying to write an essay

Its probably not a good thing I feel the need to put a disclaimer after everything I say

This is a thing my and my friend run.
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 28 Mar 2013, 09:07

I considered sing Roll20 for the rp I'm about to take over as GM for, but we've worked well enough just using skype the past two years so I'm not sure how much return there'd actually be for the effort to get it setup to our needs.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 28 Mar 2013, 16:16

I've got a Roll20 account now as TableTopForge has been rolled into it and I was a Kickstarter backer.

I keep meaning to play with it.

Is anybody doing anything for Tabletop day?

I've found to my surprise that there's an event near me that I might go to.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 29 Mar 2013, 06:54

I love roll20 in Google Hangouts, we use it for a 13th Age campaign. Roll20 doesn't have as much setup as other VTTs I've used, like MapTools.

I also created a Hangout app called Dicestream that just rolls dice in the video overlay, for use in Cortex+ and FATE games.
@mhasko
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 31 Mar 2013, 11:56

What RPG should I play next? I'm tired of typical fantasy but I'm not really a sci fi rpg person.
Thoughts?
^( " )^
winner!
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 01 Apr 2013, 15:37

@Dubious_Wolf: Give us a full genre list you like. Horror? Modern stuff like spy thrillers? Do you want exclusively traditional RPGs or are you happy to give weirder indie stuff a fling?

Off the top of my head for just fantasy, check out Castle Falkenstein which is one of my favourite RPGs ever, a mad mishmash of Tolkien-esque fantasy, Austen-era polite society, and Jules Verne steampunk. Great one for the dramatists in your group; if you're not making breathless declarations of love and proclaiming "I will return!" before battles, you're doing it wrong. (Duckay will point out our games featured neither of these, to which I will say: So?) 16 bucks for the PDF rulebook.

Also consider Exalted from White Wolf, which is basically what happens when someone says, "No no, you didn't hear me. I said epic level fantasy." My favorite way of describing the level is to observe that a starting level warrior can, in theory, stare down an army and win. (Mind you, your dice rolls would need to be hella lucky, but it's totally plausible.) It's the kind of game where changing the entire world is expected in every plot. PDF rulebook is 16 bucks.
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 02 Apr 2013, 11:36

Dresden Files. Just play the initial world building and character setting and if that doesn't start a fire under you, switch games to something else.

I would play Dresden Files just for the first world building session over and over again.
@mhasko

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”