The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Del » 02 Mar 2013, 21:59

Kapol wrote:So I ended up going 5-0 tonight. Whooo! I ended up getting the farseek promo I want to get a playset of. Whooo! I ended up getting $65 in store credit. Whooo!

All in all I'm pretty pleased with myself. :)

Nice. I am hoping to get a playset of farseeks as well.

I just won a tournament at the local gaming convention today and won a Huntmaster of the Fells I will have to trade off. :>
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 04 Mar 2013, 13:08

I just thought of this combo and am now imagining it in the next Friday Nights.

"And end turn. Jer?"

"Wait. In your end phase, I flash in Cloudthresher. My turn, untap. Oblivion Ring the Cloudthresher, and then I cast Worldfire. And THAT is why my deck is called 'Everybody loses'."
AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Postby AzureAngel17 » 04 Mar 2013, 22:25

Had a good night here! I finally got to draft Gatecrash with some friends, and I wound up with a pretty decent Gruul deck. I had 3 pit fights and 3 Zur Taas Swine, plus a pair of Crocanuras and the 2/1 artifact creature that can't be damaged by blockers. Throw in a Madcap Skills to just completely run away with the two games where I drew it, and I certainly had fun.

The Swine really does make a nice cheap Lava Axe when your opponent decides to let a weenie through in the late game.
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 05 Mar 2013, 01:27

JackSlack wrote:I just thought of this combo and am now imagining it in the next Friday Nights.

"And end turn. Jer?"

"Wait. In your end phase, I flash in Cloudthresher. My turn, untap. Oblivion Ring the Cloudthresher, and then I cast Worldfire. And THAT is why my deck is called 'Everybody loses'."

I... I need to figure out how to make this happen.
hmmmmm
^( " )^
winner!
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 05 Mar 2013, 04:18

That's one hell of an IKEA gun.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Del

Postby Del » 05 Mar 2013, 05:25

ZePancakes wrote:That's one hell of an IKEA gun.

Most of the thragfire variants are.
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 05 Mar 2013, 06:59

I had two Undead Alchemists out in a MTGO game today, a Shriekgeist with an equipped Trepanation Blade, and a few 2/2 zombies out.

Opponent has a Boros deck that between fliers and Holy Mantled creatures, can swing in for lethal. They swing, I Tragic Slip the 3/1 flier so I'm at 1.

I swing in with everything, 22 Undead Alchemist triggers go on the stack. I decked him (Got a nice grind with the blade that made it happen) but even if I had lost, seeing all those triggers just appear, and my zombie hoard magnify would have been worth a loss.

I love Undead Alchemist, it's very Ikea gun, but man it makes mill so much more fun. Fun AND exponential! I wish I could make him a commander in a Commander deck...
@mhasko
DSmaster21
First Video: Friday Nights-Untap
Location: You will hear on the news one day. Zombies! Wait no disregard that random word.

Postby DSmaster21 » 05 Mar 2013, 09:18

I ended up 3-3 in a standard tournament which is why I hate rotation. I am always a month behind everyone else because I can only go to my nearest game store once a month and I prefer to spend my money there because patronage. So I have no Gatecrash because I capped my spending. Go into the tourney everyone has Reckoners and Domnri and whatever evil is in their colors. Still my deck is finetuned if outdated. Waiting for my birthday so that I can unleash my revenge when I get all the intro packs and two booster boxes. Until then try to find (good) mythic rares in the new 6 cd packs at Wal-mart.
Self wrote: I lost my humanity back in 2013 BC ahhhh the good old days.

Ptangmatik wrote: We drew things on your face. Oh, and you're now legally called Clivendorf von Whiffenpoofle. Congratulations.
Del

Postby Del » 05 Mar 2013, 11:37

DSmaster21 wrote:I ended up 3-3 in a standard tournament which is why I hate rotation. I am always a month behind everyone else because I can only go to my nearest game store once a month and I prefer to spend my money there because patronage. So I have no Gatecrash because I capped my spending. Go into the tourney everyone has Reckoners and Domnri and whatever evil is in their colors. Still my deck is finetuned if outdated. Waiting for my birthday so that I can unleash my revenge when I get all the intro packs and two booster boxes. Until then try to find (good) mythic rares in the new 6 cd packs at Wal-mart.

Pre-gc Bant is still very much a viable deck in my area (and in general, just look at what Melissa Detora ran in Quebec)
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 05 Mar 2013, 12:49

ZePancakes wrote:That's one hell of an IKEA gun.

It's also a serious dick move, and those two facts (IKEA gun, dick move) is why I was more thinking 'comedy gold' than 'seriously play it'.

However, I ALSO came up with a combo that accurately expresses the spirit of 'Everybody wins!' Observe.

Have out at least three creatures. You'll probably want more, frankly, because when you pull this stunt everyone's going to try and lightning bolt all your dudes. A counterspell in hand could be very useful.

Then, in second main phase, use Phelddagrif to make sure your opponents all have at least four creatures out. Then, cast Biovisionary and Mirrorweave. This is where the fun begins. Everybody now has at least four Biovisionaries in play. They trigger at the end of 'the' end phase, not 'your' end phase. So, it seems, everybody wins!

Not true, and THAT's why fireballs are going to fly like crazy at this point. Because, as Duckay reminded me, whoever has priority will have the ability trigger for them first. That would be you.

So, in the true spirit of 'Everybody wins!' only one person can actually win. That person is meant to be you.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 05 Mar 2013, 14:52

JackSlack wrote:Because, as Duckay reminded me, whoever has priority will have the ability trigger for them first. That would be you.

As active player, your triggers go on the stack first, but that means they resolve last. Unless a lot of people's creatures start dying, the player to your right will be the one who wins.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 05 Mar 2013, 15:09

phlip wrote:
JackSlack wrote:Because, as Duckay reminded me, whoever has priority will have the ability trigger for them first. That would be you.

As active player, your triggers go on the stack first, but that means they resolve last. Unless a lot of people's creatures start dying, the player to your right will be the one who wins.

Wait, does "Winning the Game" actually go on the stack? When something like the Biovisionary or the health kitty happen they're on the stack? Wacky. Wait does that mean you could Stifle your opponent's "Win the Game" trigger? That is delicious!
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 05 Mar 2013, 15:15

phlip wrote:

Awww! :(

Stupid stack. Spoils all the fun!
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 05 Mar 2013, 15:21

JackSlack wrote:
phlip wrote:

Awww! :(

Stupid stack. Spoils all the fun!

Just use Leyline/Yeva/ Alchemist's Refuse to do it on the appropriate other player's turn.
phlip

Postby phlip » 05 Mar 2013, 15:41

Utilitarian wrote:Wait, does "Winning the Game" actually go on the stack? When something like the Biovisionary or the health kitty happen they're on the stack? Wacky. Wait does that mean you could Stifle your opponent's "Win the Game" trigger? That is delicious!

Well, most traditional win-the-game effects don't use the stack... "If your life is 0 or less you lose" and "if all your opponents have lost, you win" are both state-based actions that ignore the stack, for example. However, Biovisionary's ability is a trigger, and behaves as such. You can't really Stifle it, though... They must have at least 4 of them after all, so that's 4 triggers you'd have to Stifle, every end step.

[he/him/his]
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Postby Juliamon » 05 Mar 2013, 15:51

That reminds me that at the discount draft I went to last night, someone pulled off a Biovisionary win. Almost everyone else had finished their matches for the round so we all stood around waiting for his Stolen Identity-ciphered creature to pop out the final one.

It was the highlight of the draft.
brb, assaulting children.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 05 Mar 2013, 16:42

phlip wrote:
Utilitarian wrote:Wait, does "Winning the Game" actually go on the stack? When something like the Biovisionary or the health kitty happen they're on the stack? Wacky. Wait does that mean you could Stifle your opponent's "Win the Game" trigger? That is delicious!

Well, most traditional win-the-game effects don't use the stack... "If your life is 0 or less you lose" and "if all your opponents have lost, you win" are both state-based actions that ignore the stack, for example. However, Biovisionary's ability is a trigger, and behaves as such. You can't really Stifle it, though... They must have at least 4 of them after all, so that's 4 triggers you'd have to Stifle, every end step.

Yea I meant just win the game "abilities". Hmm I can see the problem with the Biovisionary given that, by necessity you'd have all of them.
phlip

Postby phlip » 05 Mar 2013, 17:40

Utilitarian wrote:Yea I meant just win the game "abilities". Hmm I can see the problem with the Biovisionary given that, by necessity you'd have all of them.

Well, it depends on the card. "Win the game" and "lose the game" effects can happen in all the varied ways that any other effects can happen.

For examples, Battle of Wits is a triggered ability, while Door to Nothingness is an activated ability (that can be profitably Stifled), and Laboratory Maniac is a replacement effect (which doesn't use the stack). Coalition Victory isn't an ability at all, it's just a sorcery, which uses the stack in the same way as any other spell.

[he/him/his]
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 05 Mar 2013, 18:15

Stifle works on triggered abilities too ^_^
phlip

Postby phlip » 05 Mar 2013, 21:39

Sure, but if you're trying to Stile a triggered ability that happens every turn (or, in the case of Biovisionary, 4 times a turn), you're quickly going to run out of Stifles...

I say that Door to Nothingness can be profitably Stifled because it's an activated ability that sacs the Door as a cost... if you Stifle that, they can't just try again next turn, unless they have another Door in play.

[he/him/his]
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 05 Mar 2013, 22:38

When dealing with the world of Stifling my opponent's "Win the Game" triggered abilities, I like to think I am sufficiently divorced from reality as to ignore trivial problems such as "not having an infinite supply of Stifles"

In this world I have it under an Isochron Scepter or something like that
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 06 Mar 2013, 05:17

a Tamiyo emblem would probably be better since it allows infinite castings of Stifle.

with the scepter you only get one per turn.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 06 Mar 2013, 15:01

...I kind of want to build this deck now.

3x Tamiyo
3x Curse of the bloody tome (since we're trying for a Tamiyo Emblem, why not hold our entire deck in hand while we're at it.)
4x Psychic Possession (no need to deck ourselves, or let someone else deck us)
1x phelddagrif
4x biovisionary
2x mirrorweave
4x stifle
4x Lion's Eye Diamond (to power stifle, as infinite stifle requires infinite blue mana)

...not sure what else will go in here.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 06 Mar 2013, 16:23

Maybe thought scour as it becomes an ancestral recall with a emblem and an mill your opponent as a win con
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
phlip

Postby phlip » 06 Mar 2013, 17:59

If that's your plan and you're in green, you may as well throw in Doubling Season - lets you play Tamiyo and immediately ultimate. Or maybe the Doubling Season/Jace, Architect of Thought combo from MTGOCC...

[he/him/his]

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”